Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's going to be one of my obsessions, so I apologize in advance for future pesterings. But I don't see why people keep claiming that his future is defintitely as a center forward when he is performing at an exceptional level as an inside forward, it makes absolutely no sense to me when the role fits him like a glove. If deep down people just want to improve on Martial then based on what we are currently seeing, it would make more sense to keep Greenwood where he is and bring the elite striker of your dreams.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's going to be one of my obsessions, so I apologize in advance for future pesterings. But I don't see why people keep claiming that his future is defintitely as a center forward when he is performing at an exceptional level as an inside forward, it makes absolutely no sense to me when the role fits him like a glove. If deep down people just want to improve on Martial then based on what we are currently seeing, it would make more sense to keep Greenwood where he is and bring the elite striker of your dreams.
I think its probably because he is such a brilliant finisher. With his technical ability if he starts being able to play with his back to goal at PL level and leading the line he would be a phenomenal no9. Saying that he can be brilliant in any of the front 3 roles.

JPRouve

Scout
I think its probably because he is such a brilliant finisher. With his technical ability if he starts being able to play with his back to goal at PL level and leading the line he would be a phenomenal no9. Saying that he can be brilliant in any of the front 3 roles.
But in today's football, brilliant finishers don't have to be center forwards. The two best players of the last decades have also been the best finishers in the world and neither are center forwards but inside forwards. I would get it if Greenwood was closer to a Lewandowski or Van Nistelrooy but that's not the type of attacker that he seems to be, he seems to be someone that thrives far from the box as much as he does around and inside it, if I was his coach I would want him on the ball often and not just in the box or fighting with CBs.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t disagree with you and he might well end up staying as a wide forward but it’s easy to see why people think he may transition into a CF. His finishing is his best attribute and he also was a natural striker during his time in the youth teams. We haven’t seen it all yet but he’s capable of scoring poacher type goals as well as the more spectacular goals he has been getting recently.

There’s also the fact that many of the worlds top strikers (Henry, Villa, Aguero etc) started out wide and then transitions into the Striker role.

Ultimately, it will come down to where he gets the most chances to strike on goal. That could well being where he is now where he gets more opportunities to take the ball on the half turn and strike from outside the box, but I don’t think it’s crazy to think that could also be in the centre, as the focal point of the attack.

JPRouve

Scout
I don’t disagree with you and he might well end up staying as a wide forward but it’s easy to see why people think he may transition into a CF. His finishing is his best attribute and he also was a natural striker during his time in the youth teams. We haven’t seen it all yet but he’s capable of scoring poacher type goals as well as the more spectacular goals he has been getting recently.

There’s also the fact that many of the worlds top strikers (Henry, Villa, Aguero etc) started out wide and then transitions into the Striker role.

Ultimately, it will come down to where he gets the most chances to strike on goal. That could well being where he is now where he gets more opportunities to take the ball on the half turn and strike from outside the box, but I don’t think it’s crazy to think that could also be in the centre, as the focal point of the attack.
None of them started out wide, they all started as striker and also got game time wide at various points in their careers. Villa was almost exclusively a striker for Zaragoza, Aguero was almost exclusively a striker for Velez and Henry was mainly used as an inside forward or striker for Monaco.

The way I see it, a players final role at professional is the one where he performs at the highest level possible. Maybe Greewood will turnout to be even better as a striker but I don't understand the certitudes and eagerness. In a way people should remember that Laurent Blanc was one of the best youth player as an attacking midfielder, that's the position he was developed in and where he was named best player of the 1988 U21 EURO.

Last edited:

cyberman

Because its so hard to find a centre forward that ticks the boxes that Mason does. Theyre a lot rarer than inside type forwards.
Its also dangerous to assume this is it for an 18 year old. With his frame I can see him develop into a monster CF if he can begin to play with his back to goal.
You want him to get into as many goal scoring positions as he can after all. You aren't really taking advantage of his two footed ability if he always has to come inside to shoot.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It might sound strange but with Mason watching his goals from this season, if I could somehow choose one player in the world right now to watch his whole career in a highlight real (sort of a 'wish') let's say, I think it would be Mason.

I really wish I could see the player he will be given his talent, he's definitely someone that I think will sell out stadiums, what a talent.

JPRouve

Scout
Because its so hard to find a centre forward that ticks the boxes that Mason does. Theyre a lot rarer than inside type forwards.
Its also dangerous to assume this is it for an 18 year old. With his frame I can see him develop into a monster CF if he can begin to play with his back to goal.
You want him to get into as many goal scoring positions as he can after all. You aren't really taking advantage of his two footed ability if he always has to come inside to shoot.
I completely disagree, inside forwards are generally more often on the ball than center forwards and they have access to a more varied type of opportunities which is a great thing for someone like Greenwood who excels with different types of finishing. It also changes nothing with regards of his two footedness, we are not talking about rigid systems where players are stuck in restrictive areas.

Handré1990

I completely disagree, inside forwards are generally more often on the ball than center forwards and they have access to a more varied type of opportunities which is a great thing for someone like Greenwood who excels with different types of finishing. It also changes nothing with regards of his two footedness, we are not talking about rigid systems where players are stuck in restrictive areas.
Yeah, I’m starting to come around to this. If this is how we want to play, it might be better to leave the grunt work to someone else and let Mason drift wherever he sees fit during games, and keep the shape wide when we start attacks or defend. He is popping up all over the final third and getting on the ball a lot as it is. It can only get better as the team gel even more and become more assured in our possession play. Point is we want him to finish as much as possible, and that’s not necessarily at CF.

TrustInJanuzaj

None of them started out wide, they all started as striker and also got game time wide at various points in their careers. Villa was almost exclusively a striker for Zaragoza, Aguero was almost exclusively a striker for Velez and Henry was mainly used as an inside forward or striker for Monaco.

The way I see it, a players final role at professional is the one where he performs at the highest level possible. Maybe Greewood will turnout to be even better as a striker but I don't understand the certitudes and eagerness. In a way people should remember that Laurent Blanc was one of the best youth player as an attacking midfielder, that's the position he was developed in and where he was named best player of the 1988 U21 EURO.
The point is that many of the world's top strikers spent their formative years rotating between striker and inside forward and I think we should do the same with Greenwood. He may well prove that he's just more effective starting from wide and I'm happy with that, but I also think there's a possibility that he starts taking chances up top and ends up as a world class CF. Surely you would like us to try both approaches?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s largely based on his ambidexterity I would imagine. Due to the rarity of such top level finishing on both left and right - the temptation is not to restrict him to one side. You want Greenwood to, as often as possible, face the goal with genuine option of a shooting chance. His last few goals have come from all over the front line. I think that is the type of striker we want him to be. Not some sort of target man, but more of a floating forward who plays left right and centre.

Playing centrally lets him go either way and shoot, which makes him unpredictable for a centre half as he can get a shot off either way.

JPRouve

Scout
The point is that many of the world's top strikers spent their formative years rotating between striker and inside forward and I think we should do the same with Greenwood. He may well prove that he's just more effective starting from wide and I'm happy with that, but I also think there's a possibility that he starts taking chances up top and ends up as a world class CF. Surely you would like us to try both approaches?
Absolutely but that's not what most are suggesting, they are adamant that Greenwood should be a striker. And my point is that he should play where he is best, we shouldn't fix our mind on the idea that he shouldn't be an inside forward in particular when he is currently great there which wasn't the case for the players that you mentioned.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
It’s largely based on his ambidexterity I would imagine. Due to the rarity of such top level finishing on both left and right - the temptation is not to restrict him to one side. You want Greenwood to, as often as possible, face the goal with genuine option of a shooting chance. His last few goals have come from all over the front line. I think that is the type of striker we want him to be. Not some sort of target man, but more of a floating forward who plays left right and centre.

Playing centrally lets him go either way and shoot, which makes him unpredictable for a centre half as he can get a shot off either way.
But playing centrally has a few downsides, you get less touches, less room and less opportunities to run at speed at the defense with the ball. I'm not against it, it just seems that the arguments don't really match, you just said that his last goals come from all over the front line which clearly shows that his current role allows him to use all the things you want to see from him.

cyberman

It kind of is restricting him though. Mason is a great finisher but he isnt getting on the end of crosses, chances etc. He is either at the edge of the box or cutting in.
We know he has great movement in the box, we know he has every type of finish in his locker but he is playing well atm and all we see are thunder bastards and talk of two footedness.
Im not saying it isnt his best position but most people making arguments against it are those who have seen him in the youth set up. Youre taking our best finisher out if a lot of scoring positions by having him play from wide

JPRouve

Scout
It kind of is restricting him though. Mason is a great finisher but he isnt getting on the end of crosses, chances etc. He is either at the edge of the box or cutting in.
We know he has great movement in the box, we know he has every type of finish in his locker but he is playing well atm and all we see are thunder bastards and talk of two footedness.
Im not saying it isnt his best position but most people making arguments against it are those who have seen him in the youth set up. Youre taking our best finisher out if a lot of scoring positions by having him play from wide
But that's not the role that restrict him but his own instincts. Ronaldo never had any issues being at the end of crosses, he has scored a lot of headers and tap ins while being an inside forward.

TrustInJanuzaj

Absolutely but that's not what most are suggesting, they are adamant that Greenwood should be a striker. And my point is that he should play where he is best, we shouldn't fix our mind on the idea that he shouldn't an inside forward in particular when he is currently great there which wasn't the case for the players that you mentioned.
Oh in which case I completely agree with you, there's no point having a fixed view on a player like Greenwood because we just don't fully know which way he's going to develop.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But playing centrally has a few downsides, you get less touches, less room and less opportunities to run at speed at the defense with the ball. I'm not against it, it just seems that the arguments don't really match, you just said that his last goals come from all over the front line which clearly shows that his current role allows him to use all the things you want to see from him.
But by all over the front line, that includes from the left, even though he starts on the right. I imagine we’d want him in shooting positions both from the left of the box and the right of the box - and him operating more centrally will encourage that.

I agree with the point you are making though, but ultimately, I think the 9 role is to be personalised. I wouldn’t expect Mason to play it like Michael Antonio - but more like how Henry/Messi/Firmino plays it.

Tony247

I absolutely loved his reaction when he scored the equalizer against Bournemouth. No joy, no celebration, not even a punch in the air, only angry totally pi$$ed face. A mercenary would have done a dance move, slide jump somersault dab and what not. But this kid means business. Love it.

H10

Huseyin 10
Hey Guys,

I made a video around Mason Greenwood, since there's a lot of focus around him at the moment. Would love for you to check it out and let me know what you think. If you did enjoy the video please do subscribe for more in the future.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I absolutely loved his reaction when he scored the equalizer against Bournemouth. No joy, no celebration, not even a punch in the air, only angry totally pi$$ed face. A mercenary would have done a dance move, slide jump somersault dab and what not. But this kid means business. Love it.
Good point. It's small things like that which makes us feel like we're watching a proper United-team again.. and it's just natural, not for show. I love it too.

Strelok

You don't need to imho.

Any true fan should be obsessed with this kind of talent coming through our own ranks. It's like watching an extremely rare and beautiful flower blooming, you just can't move your eyes from it.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I haven’t seen a young player (just 18) who is already so complete and polished in a very long time. When you look back, all that young 18 years old we had you had at least 3-4 things you knew they needed to improve. With Mason, I truly don’t know what his weakness is.

It is truly exceptional and so exciting to watch!
I know this is going to sound nitpicky as feck because it is partly down to the inverted forwards system that we play but he doesn't really cross from the right wing, even when the opportunity is there. He almost always looks to drive or for the short pass and I think this impacts on the number of opportunities Martial as a center forward gets. Also, defenders, once they realise this, may start ruling that out as an option to worry about which may make him easier to defend. I'm sure he'll sort this though. Such at incredibly exciting talent.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I thought the same thing about Messi. How often can you find a player who can score as often from out wide (inside forward as you seem to be calling it)? I thought Braca could find a 30 goal striker easier than finding a 30 goal winger. But then Messi became a 60 goal striker (inverted at least at times) and it all seemed to work out.

With that kind of talent I think you have to find their best position and build around them. He's been floating all over the place recently which I really like, reminds me of when Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney and Giggs would do that. We just have to trust the coaches, but it's an interesting point to discuss. I should find more youth highlights to watch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
IMO his best position is as wing forward. Game has changed a lot, most of the star player or great goal scorer play as wing forward. They always face the goal and have multiple options to hurt the team. They won't have CBs on them all the time.

Greenwood might end up as fantastic CF but from what I have seen for first team, he looks exceptional wing forward. Defenders have no clue whether he strikes the ball with his left or right.

InfiniteBoredom

IMO his best position is as wing forward. Game has changed a lot, most of the star player or great goal scorer play as wing forward. They always face the goal and have multiple options to hurt the team. They won't have CBs on them all the time.

Greenwood might end up as fantastic CF but from what I have seen for first team, he looks exceptional wing forward. Defenders have no clue whether he strikes the ball with his left or right.
Play him like CR7, nominally on one wing but with the license to drift wherever he pleases and find shooting opportunities.

izec

I would have him roam around at times. Since he is two footed, he can play wherever he wants and we are more flexible up front anyway with him, Martial and Rashers. They can roam around a bit if needed, i don't see the issue to have him now as a starting central striker. Don't force it upon him. Will be exciting to see how he develops.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Play him like CR7, nominally on one wing but with the license to drift wherever he pleases and find shooting opportunities.
This. Bale at Spurs has even greater freedom. But maybe that spot is reserved for Bruno in the Team.
Although I've seen Greenwood, Rashford, and Martial switching side in games. So there are plenty opportunities for him to strike the ball without being a dedicated striker.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, he is already playing like that. All our attackers have that freedom. Check the game vs Villa, he scored goal from central position. Vs Bournemouth, his goal was from left wing and central position, vs Brighton his goal was from right wing.

Even when he drops deep and involved in build up play, he pops up in every position. Credit to Ole tbh, he has given freedom to players, which is also helped by the fact that our attacking 3 can play in all attacking positions.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I know this is going to sound nitpicky as feck because it is partly down to the inverted forwards system that we play but he doesn't really cross from the right wing, even when the opportunity is there. He almost always looks to drive or for the short pass and I think this impacts on the number of opportunities Martial as a center forward gets. Also, defenders, once they realise this, may start ruling that out as an option to worry about which may make him easier to defend. I'm sure he'll sort this though. Such at incredibly exciting talent.
Statistically, cosses are the easiest attacking tool to defend. Liverpool have found a way to make them work but they have a few players who are really outstanding crossers and their attack is trained to convert these balls.

I mean, which top player really has crossing as a vital skill nowadays? Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Hazard etc. rarely cross at all. The only ones I can recall who are realy successful crossers are Alexander-Arnold and de Bruyne. Most of the remaining stars have cut crossing from their game almost entirely. So this may actually speak for Greenwood, not against him.

TrustInJanuzaj

Me.
I just hope it won't be only one season wonder.

Next season for GW to prove he's not.

I'm confident GW will not but can't totally confident since.. we had a tract record of past promising youths who are just that.. sadly.
Oh come on, Greenwood is one of the most nailed on footballers in the world. Did you have doubts about Mbappe or Haaland? Greenwood is easily in that category of player so s long as he stays fit, he will go right to the top. What more do you need to see?

Strelok

Anyone else still atlittle cautious about jumping on the Greenwood bandwagon ?
No but your post suddenly reminds me of Asensio. Seemed like the next big thing couple years ago but it seems injures have fecked him pretty bad.

Hope our boy is luckier with that shit. It's very important for him to be protected and well managed in this development stage.

Devil81

Anyone else still atlittle cautious about jumping on the Greenwood bandwagon ?
Nope, the kids making scoring goals look effortless. I don't see how you can't get excited by his talent, even my none United supporting friends are in awe of his talent and it's hard to see him not becoming a world-class talent given what he's doing at 18 years of age.

We all know the drill now, create the space for him and he will find the target nine times out of ten. I'd go as far as saying I've never seen a player of his age with such accuracy in his shot with either foot.

Lam

I don’t think MG will be one season or few seasons wonder. Generally two/three kinds of players fall into that category:

1. Extreme pace and/or acceleration dependent
2. Movement which can be figured out
3. Low on football intelligence I.e. weaker natural instincts and/or weak technique

MG is strong technically

Definitely not dependent on pace/acceleration

If he gets a chance to shoot, more or less a great goal scoring chance

Since he’s playing wide, so movement inside the box is not something we can comment on

That said, he’ll get doubled very soon. Let’s see how he finds space and manages to do what he’s doing now

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don’t think MG will be one season or few seasons wonder. Generally two/three kinds of players fall into that category:

1. Extreme pace and/or acceleration dependent
2. Movement which can be figured out
3. Low on football intelligence I.e. weaker natural instincts and/or weak technique

MG is strong technically

Definitely not dependent on pace/acceleration

If he gets a chance to shoot, more or less a great goal scoring chance

Since he’s playing wide, so movement inside the box is not something we can comment on

That said, he’ll get doubled very soon. Let’s see how he finds space and manages to do what he’s doing now
The more players teams dedicate to him, the more space other players will have. If he drags two or three into the right hand channel that leaves space for someone like Fernandes to shoot or play the ball.

Web of Bissaka

Oh come on, Greenwood is one of the most nailed on footballers in the world. Did you have doubts about Mbappe or Haaland? Greenwood is easily in that category of player so s long as he stays fit, he will go right to the top. What more do you need to see?
I'm excited as well but just being realistic. GW is still in his 1st "stage".

I did have doubts but Mbappe and Haaland continue proving themselves at their 2nd "stage(s)" onwards so no more.

Over high expectations is setting up for huge disappointments. Even classifying GW as that two is already getting ahead too much. Not yet not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.