Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You guys are much more optimistic than I am. I haven't seen any suggestions that he will be part of the squad. Unless he's ready to play 90 minutes football at good quality against smaller teams so we can have rotation options (an eventually help his development), he'll be one of those cases that will be loaned out at mid-season

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You guys are much more optimistic than I am. I haven't seen any suggestions that he will be part of the squad. Unless he's ready to play 90 minutes football at good quality against smaller teams so we can have rotation options (an eventually help his development), he'll be one of those cases that will be loaned out at mid-season
Missed today's press conference then?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Can we just all agree right now that he's immune to any criticism this season. I've no doubt he'll play and he may have some bad games along the way, but let's not go too overboard when he does.

He might be the most exciting thing about this team next year so let's not give the managers a reason to pull him out of the firing line if things get bad.

SteveW

Clueless

Bestietom

would be wrong to lay too much responsibility on this young man yet, but I do hope he gets lots of games this season.

desirere

In all honesty there is more chance of him winning the next ballon d'orr then what you just wrote.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've never really understood this. If you have the right mentality and talent, you should be able to be thrown in the deep end right off the bat.

What's the risk? Getting mentally scarred from playing too much too soon? At the end of the day, it could be an indicative test of whether that young talent will prevail or not. You either rise to the occasion or crumble. See the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo and Rashford - none daunted by the prospect of prospect of playing week in week out despite their young age at time.
I think it's more about keeping them hungry and mentally stable.

Making them a superstar overnight can be quite detrimental, just look at Januzaj.

United are a different animal compared to other clubs in terms of fame, especially with young English players. Some just can't handle it.

Obviously I agree if you're good enough then fine - I think that's why Ole WILL play him more often, but we just have to be a bit cautious.

kirk buttercup

This I love . To me this is the United way let an academy player develop over a season in and out of the team until he is ready to make the step up to first team regular. Good luck to all our young players. now more than ever we need the hunger of youth

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He LITERALLY did that in our last game of the season. Have you been drinking too much this summer Andre :D

Classical Mechanic

Nialinho

I'm hoping the Europa League will be the platform for our young players to make the step up. We're likely to play some pretty average sides early on, would love to see Greenwood, Garner and Gomes get some starts.

Robbo*

I guess it will depend on how he does with his first bits of action - if he is playing well/among the goals then he will stay involved.

The U23s being in the Checkatrade may also provide him with a chance to test himself against first team opposition, albeit at a lower level.

Wheato

We all have to be patient with Mason, he is still a very young player with a lot to learn. The step up a level from playing against 17/18 year olds to seasoned pro's is massive. So he will make mistakes, and he will lose the ball or run into trouble, but we need to clap and cheer and encourage him to try and try again. He has pace, skill, and can find the back of the net. He will grow in confidence and stature and we will all revel in his success. I recall watching a 19 year old Cristiano Ronaldo, getting caught in procession, running to the corner flag and then getting wiped out by Alan Stubbs. And Roy Keane giving him a bollocking for trying to trick his way out of trouble. He soon learned when to give the ball and when to run with it. And when he was selfish, it was because he had a clear shot at goal. Mason has the one thing that defenders hate and that is pace, it is his get out of jail card. As his body fills out and he becomes an all round athlete, he will add more strings to his bow. I think he has all the tools in his box, we just need to give him time to grow.

Crashoutcassius

This thread is way overblown. It is very difficult to predict how a player will move from youth action to first team action and while his cameo vs Cardiff was terrific it still doesn't tell us much - players tend to explode into action before opposition work them out a little bit. Januzaj was a lot better in his first several appearances and I was as excited as everybody else.

Still excited and think he will do well but saying he will play 25 games and be a huge success is a joke, and pressure he doesn't need.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This thread is way overblown. It is very difficult to predict how a player will move from youth action to first team action and while his cameo vs Cardiff was terrific it still doesn't tell us much - players tend to explode into action before opposition work them out a little bit. Januzaj was a lot better in his first several appearances and I was as excited as everybody else.

Still excited and think he will do well but saying he will play 25 games and be a huge success is a joke, and pressure he doesn't need.
Generally agree but Greenwood’s stats/performances for our academy are in a different league to the likes of Januzaj (or even Rashford) so a bit of hype/giddiness is understandable.

ottosec

Quite excited to see more of this lad next season!

He has a good chance of playing a decent amount of games with only Lukaku and Rashford as senior strikers, hopefully, he'll take his chances.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
far below someone like bojan who seems to play right wing for stoke and suffers from anxiety attacks
I don’t think they are.

And yeah, I agree with your general point. Not all incredibly talented kids kick on as hoped when they start playing senior football.

But if you don’t feel a little bit excited about a player who is clearly one of the most talented academy talent to come through in years then what’s the fecking point in following the academy at all?!?

pascell

How much have you seen him play? I'm guessing 1 or 2 youtube videos and the Cardiff game.

Jacob

Yes, a two footed Van Persie.

He's as two footed as any player you'll see.

I count 13 goals with his right and 11 with the left. Very impressed.

You clearly are two-footed if you are comfortable taking freekicks with either foot.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think they are.

And yeah, I agree with your general point. Not all incredibly talented kids kick on as hoped when they start playing senior football.

But if you don’t feel a little bit excited about a player who is clearly one of the most talented academy talent to come through in years then what’s the fecking point in following the academy at all?!?
They will be worse than Bojan's I think. He broke all sorts of records at youth level and was touted as being at Messi's level.

This is an interesting write up on him and how he didn't have the psychological tools for the big time, that's what's hard to predict. Then you have someone like Januzaj who is too full of himself and fails because of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...c-barcelona-ajax-milan-roma-whatever-happened

StrettyEnder07

I'm hoping the Europa League will be the platform for our young players to make the step up. We're likely to play some pretty average sides early on, would love to see Greenwood, Garner and Gomes get some starts.
Totally agree with this, the likes of Gomes, the fact that PSG and Barca are sniffing around him speaks volumes, expecting breakthrough seasons for a few of them this season, why if we sign a CB and a midfielder maybe 2, won't be in to much of a panic as personally think Chong/Gomes/Greenwood/Garner/Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah if he can find the form he had when he first broke through, have a good chance of big seasons with the Europa as well.

Crashoutcassius

I don’t think they are.

everyone should be excited and feels like they are. I just think there is a strong correlation between having too high expectations and fans turning on players. treatment of rashford at present is crazy and out of touch with reality. If Greenwood hasn't kicked on to 30 goals a season by the age of 20 he will be labelled a flop by this current fan base.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
everyone should be excited and feels like they are. I just think there is a strong correlation between having too high expectations and fans turning on players. treatment of rashford at present is crazy and out of touch with reality. If Greenwood hasn't kicked on to 30 goals a season by the age of 20 he will be labelled a flop by this current fan base.
The treatment Rashford is getting is disgusting. And is (IMO) much more about impatience and the need for scapegoats at a crappy time for the club than him getting too much hype from fans who were excited about what he achieved as an academy player. If anything, his academy performances went a little below the radar. We were probably expecting more from Will Keane at the time.

Classical Mechanic

The treatment Rashford is getting is disgusting. And is (IMO) much more about impatience and the need for scapegoats at a crappy time for the club than him getting too much hype from fans who were excited about what he achieved as an academy player. If anything, his academy performances went a little below the radar. We were probably expecting more from Will Keane at the time.
Rashford has the mentality but not quite the quality of guys like Januzaj or Greenwood. Just hope Mason has the drive that Rashford has.

Handré1990

Sounds about right. Rashford showed what he’s about when he stepped up to take the penalty v PSG, after about a 10 mins VAR break. Really sad to see United fans tear him down.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
would be wrong to lay too much responsibility on this young man yet, but I do hope he gets lots of games this season.
That’s up to him. His performances and not his age will determine how much responsibility is laid on him. My suspicion is that he really is that good. If he ‘gets lots of games this season’ and is really that good, you can’t NOT put responsibility on him. If he isn’t, you can take into consideration his age etc.

The likes of Mbappé, Rooney, Owen and Rashford has expectation on them at 18 because they took it. I suspect Mason will have huge expectation on him this season too, as I expect him to get chances, and play well and get goals when he does.

MUFC OK

Hope hes involved a fair bit but he doesnt physically look ready for the men's game yet.

I just want to see him get a fair few games and to express himself this season, same as with all youngsters. The expression is actually so important, a great way to fast track confidence. I could see him scoring 5 goals or something across the competitions this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.