Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hope hes involved a fair bit but he doesnt physically look ready for the men's game yet.

I just want to see him get a fair few games and to express himself this season, same as with all youngsters. The expression is actually so important, a great way to fast track confidence. I could see him scoring 5 goals or something across the competitions this season.
5 goals are a very conservative number. I genuinely think he'll double that.

Seven Seas Sardines

5 goals are a very conservative number. I genuinely think he'll double that.
Considering he'll probably get 10-15 games against the likes of FC Baku and Grimsby Town, I'm willing to agree.

If he can't score in the PL and only 1 in 3/4 games against farm teams, his season will be a big disappointment even for the hardcore nonbelievers of his talents.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Considering he'll probably get 10-15 games against the likes of FC Baku and Grimsby Town, I'm willing to agree.

If he can't score in the PL or more than 1 in 3/4 games against farm teams, his season will be a big disappointment even for the hardcore nonbelievers of his talents.
In the last game alone, he made 2-3 very good chances with some good saves from their Gk. So, yes. He had a Janujaz season. Hopefully he'll have a better career here. Just stay clear from jlingz is a good start.

jb8521

I count 13 goals with his right and 11 with the left. Very impressed.

You clearly are two-footed if you are comfortable taking freekicks with either foot.
His goals for the u18s, U19s & u23s have been 22 left footed, 20 right footed & 5 headers

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I see Van Persie. Anybody else?
I see that with his hungry box movement. I also see C.Ronaldo with his obsession for goal and 2 footed. Everything he does around the box is obsessed with putting the ball in the net.
Very exciting

Thiagoal

By all accounts he’s supposed to be a very humble and down to earth boy so fingers crossed he has more the CR7 ethic rather than Adnan Januzaj

Vissy

Januzaj is a totally different player and he was never that impressive IMO. Dribbled a lot, usually away from the opposition goal. Passed a lot, rarely ending up in big chances. Players like him just became miniature urban legends despite never being cut out for this level from the get go because some fans like to lionize every player.

Greenwood looks a lot more solid and composed. All I can say is that personally I think it's all up to him now, he has all of the attributes to make it here.

Mickson

Januzaj is a totally different player and he was never that impressive IMO. Dribbled a lot, usually away from the opposition goal. Passed a lot, rarely ending up in big chances. Players like him just became miniature urban legends despite never being cut out for this level from the get go because some fans like to lionize every player.

Greenwood looks a lot more solid and composed. All I can say is that personally I think it's all up to him now, he has all of the attributes to make it here.
I don't agree at all. Januzaj was very good and is clearly right now a decent player with a good career. IMO, it was his mentality that let him down. His eye for a pass, close control, his natural speed. He had everything to become a David Silva-player.

With that said, I do think that Greenwood will make it. He's even better. Probably the best youth player I've ever seen.

In Rainbows

Let's not rewrite history. Anybody that saw Januzaj play for the u21s knew he was usually the best player on the pitch even without the goals or assists. He was brilliant at bringing others into play and starting great attacks. Completely different type of player to Greenwood. He did become less of a team player at first team level though and that coupled with his attitude let him down. He seems to have made it work though after a couple of years.

Januzaj was incredible and looked nailed on to be a starter here. Don't let the fact that he flamed out muddy your memory of how good he was in his breakthrough season, and in the youth side before that. That said, I do agree that Greenwood has a ton of potential and is one of the better prospects to come through in recent years. I certainly see more in him than I ever saw in James Wilson, who was held up as a top-level prospect by our fans.
As someone who also rated James Wilson (hard not to when he was a great finisher), and having looked back at his skill set and scoring numbers, it's clear to see that Greenwood is on another level. A lot on this board retrospectively make Wilson feel like he was an Ashley Fletcher type talent. Wilson was a good finisher with both feet, but he wasn't two footed like Greenwood is. He also didn't have nearly the level of technique as Greenwood does. He's certainly faster than Greenwood is, but due to Greenwood being a #10, Greenwood is much better at bringing others into play, creating for others, and being part of the overall team. I actually think Greenwood is better at delivering final balls than Januzaj was. Think Januzaj had a better eye to give a through ball, but Greenwood's weight of pass for that final ball is better in my eyes.

Even if we compare scoring numbers, Greenwood easily comes out on top despite being younger than when Wilson had his great season. If Greenwood is the standard of what it takes to make it at the highest level, then it's a fact that a lot of us who rated Wilson at the time were naive in regards to the level required to make the step up. It's a good lesson for us and we're better off judging future strikers in our system here on out.

Which leads me to Rashford who also started off as a #10 before being converted into a striker. As a #10, Greenwood's vision was better, and his overall team play was better. Personally think Rashford is the more explosive player of the two, but Greenwood's technical ability is a little tighter than Rashford's. Then you combine finishing ability and Greenwood easily comes out on top (Rashford's wasn't as good as Wilson's). In other words, as a #10 I think Greenwood is the superior talent, and as a #9 I think Greenwood is the superior talent.

Last edited:

Kearnkoff69

Januzaj was incredible and looked nailed on to be a starter here. Don't let the fact that he flamed out muddy your memory of how good he was in his breakthrough season, and in the youth side before that. That said, I do agree that Greenwood has a ton of potential and is one of the better prospects to come through in recent years. I certainly see more in him than I ever saw in James Wilson, who was held up as a top-level prospect by our fans.

Raven

Hope hes involved a fair bit but he doesnt physically look ready for the men's game yet.

I just want to see him get a fair few games and to express himself this season, same as with all youngsters. The expression is actually so important, a great way to fast track confidence. I could see him scoring 5 goals or something across the competitions this season.
I disagree, he looks big in those preseason photos. Quite built out already as well, looks a great athlete.

AshRK

In the last game alone, he made 2-3 very good chances with some good saves from their Gk. So, yes. He had a Janujaz season. Hopefully he'll have a better career here. Just stay clear from jlingz is a good start.
Best advice he can get right now is this.

SteveW

This Lingard stuff is getting tiresome.

He's made more of his talent than anyone could have expected. He works his arse off when he plays. A couple of dopey videos from his holidays doesn't change that.

Handré1990

I disagree, he looks big in those preseason photos. Quite built out already as well, looks a great athlete.
Plus we should’ve learnt our lesson twice over (first Memphis and then Lukaku). Filling out naturally would be the best bet.

Also didn’t look out of place vs Cardiff, which was in ‘the mens game’ if memory serves. Quite the contrary.

SaidA_12

I was just speaking to a guy who knew mason from a young age and thought it would be nice to share some info with you.
He says that greenwood is genuinely 2 footed and was a natural with both feet but his dad used to still train him to dribble and shoot with both feet using cones.
He also says that at 10/11 years old mason was better than most of the 16/17 year olds he used to play with and that they guy knew mason was special.
He also said that his dad used to be very hard on him during training constantly telling him to read the game and improve.
His dribbling was epic but sometimes he would lose control of the ball and that in matches he would take 3-4 shots a game to usually get a goal and his accuracy wasn't always the greatest but when he would score, he would score a lot of goals in the match.
Finally he said that he believes that mason is better than rashford and that when he joins the first team he will have a big impact.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Just needs to get that first goal, then the momentum will come. What's encouraging is he's getting into the right positions and getting chances. Even the best players in the world have had starts like him i.e. Salah.

Not worried at all about him.

Nick7

Impressive. Unlucky with his finishing but absolutely not worried about that based on his youth games

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When he stops panicking, and starts relaxing and believing that he deserves to be a regular, Mason is going to be prolific.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's just in his own head a bit because he's missed his first few chances for the first team, that's not an issue in the slightest. Important thing for attackers is to keep getting in the chances and he's shown in previous levels how good a finisher he is, once he gets the first that weight will be off his shoulders.

Talent is obvious though every time he plays. Think he'll be a starter by the end of the season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Unlucky not to score at least 1 today. His ability on the ball is very good. It's hard to defend when he can go inside or outside, as he so good with both feet.

Mickson

It's a completely different ballgame. If it were that easy to transition, United would have played the youth team last year.
I understand what you're saying but... He's a natural finisher, and that is going to show in the first team as well. I have no doubts.

Dante

Average bang
Based on two very distinct halves of 45 minutes each, our starting frontline should be Rashford, James and Greenwood. But I'd be astonished if I still think that by the time we play Chelsea.

Still, it augurs well for the Greenwood.

Matt007a

Good performance today. Once he scores one he will relax and get even better. Goes past people so easily. By far the best talent we have coming through right now.

SteveW

Just needs one to go in for his confidence. Can't be far off.

Web of Bissaka

Problem - We don't have any RW!
Solution - Mason Greenwood.

Let him have a chance grabbing it. Kid is that good. :drool:

Second game I seen him play, and the same problem surface again as he showed in the prev game vs Cardiff.
= "clinical-finishing.exe is missing."

el3mel

Great talent, though he needs to be less nervous in front of the goal while playing for the first team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I love that he can play on the right, but his movement is at the level of a top level striker, just magnificent. He gets so many clear cut chances because of his movement it is almost unbelievable he hasn't scored when you realise finishing is one of his bigger strengths. I'd say we are very lucky to have him and need to make sure he is allowed to grow into his own in this team.

The United

It is clear that he will be starting on the right often. With the RW situation we have, I hope he grab the chance with both hands just like how Ronaldo did.

Chairman Steve

Based on academy matches his clinical finishing is there. He just probably needs to get used to being quicker in decision making since he won't have as much time on the ball to think about what he's going to do when the ball comes to him. Once he gets used to that he should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.