5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Hes gonna get be unpredictable to defend cos he can go with both feet. Its the advantage you see for players like Mane.

His goal yesterday compared to last week was almost similar, except the ability to use either foot. So if he goes out he can shoot. So the defender has to commit. But he can then cut back, leaving the defender exposed. And vice versa.

LJJT

Long way to go for him but he’s looking clinical so far. Exactly what we need. I hope he plays as main striker on Monday night as I fancy him to take chances all the others can’t.

romufc

I have no problem with different opinions.

Although the utter doom and gloom on here is sad and has infected the online fanbase.

The big issue I have with your post is that you think a player needs to leave to fulfil his potential, a lad who has played 3-4 games for the club, that’s utterly defeatist - no matter how bad the club has been over the past 5 years, there are still only a handful of clubs that are bigger than us. There are very few big clubs with a better record of bringing through young players.
I agree the doom and gloom is too much but it is not all doom for the sake of it. How we are so far off the top given the teams we have played, style and it is only September.

The thing that does not fill me with confidence is the coaching staff have struggled to improve players and the management always end up giving these players huge contracts before they have achieved anything.

Janujaz - final year of contract and flirted with PSG, got a big contract from United and went downhill
Rashford - Flirted with Barca in his final year and now he has a massive contract

The last thing we want is Greenwood to be in his final year and his agent getting the biggest deal.

Although, Personally I want him to stay because it is clear we can integrate him into this team and in a few years become a starter for us.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
2 almost identical goals in a week, probably the only positive from last night but it's a little 'worrying' just how many chances he's getting that he's not taking. Both last night and against Astana he should have been walking away with at least 4 goals across both games
Everything happens so much faster and many new challenges exist in high level professional mens football vs the amateur or junior football Greenwood's been exposed to so far. Plus the pressure, focus and huge crowds. The chances may be the same, but the circumstances are completely different.

Its therefore no surprise whatsoever that Greenwood will not reproduce what he has done already in his career straight away. Being accustomed and overcoming these are the next major part of his development. Many young starlets fail to make that step (in every sphere of life). Let's hope for our sake, Greenwood does so easily and quickly.

romufc

So you'd prefer to see him leave & become a superstar elsewhere rather than playing for the team you support? We haven't seen any more than 2 players improve in 8 years? These type of hyperbolic black & white opinions are what's wrong with this place, just because a player doesn't become a star doesn't mean that they haven't improved or developed from where they were & you say it's not a good place for development but are you surprised when we have supposed fans writing off a 19 year old Chong after a couple of nervous games in a poorly functioning team where experienced players are just as poor & then have people like yourself saying Greenwood should leave if he's to reach his potential when he's the only 17 year old playing in the league. To answer your question there aren't a huge number of positives at the moment which is why when we have a positive in Greenwood people like yourself feel the need to turn it into a negative by saying he should leave for his own good rather than enjoying the impact he's making.
Personally, I would prefer him to stay at United and become a super star for Manchester United.

No not just because a player doesn't become a star, I don't expect every player to become a star but all we have had is player regress at United over the last few years.

No signing has come off, players playing in a different team look like world beaters but at United look average.

What are the huge number of positives then?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Personally, I would prefer him to stay at United and become a super star for Manchester United.

No not just because a player doesn't become a star, I don't expect every player to become a star but all we have had is player regress at United over the last few years.

No signing has come off, players playing in a different team look like world beaters but at United look average.

Do you stay in on Monday because the shop was closed on Sunday?

jb8521

It's complete nonsense to claim every player bar 2 over the past 8 years has regressed which is what you originally said. I actually said there aren't a huge number of positives which is why when there is a positive I don't understand supposed fans making dramatic definitive claims like he needs to leave for his own good as if you have any clue what state he or the club will be in in 3 years time

romufc

It's complete nonsense to claim every player bar 2 over the past 8 years has regressed which is what you originally said. I actually said there aren't a huge number of positives which is why when there is a positive I don't understand supposed fans making dramatic definitive claims like he needs to leave for his own good as if you have any clue what state he or the club will be in in 3 years time
I actually said we haven't improved players, only on my last post I mentioned players regressing.

I will put examples infront of you so I hope you can do the same.

Lukaku and Sanchez both regressed.
Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Fred, Lingard, Perreira, Matic, Bailly, Shaw, Dalot have all stagnated

Pogba under a different manager thrives i.e. France
Lingard scores goals for Englad

Rashford, Martial under pep, klopp or Poch would be much better players than they are right now.

This is why I have fears over Greenwood's development at Utd.

zenith

There is something so exhilarating about a home grown talent making it into the first team. The likes of him and rashford in our first team is something special to watch, in midst of all this money driven craze.

ManRed

He should be ahead of Mata and Lingard on form and talent. He has been creating chances and scoring goals.

jb8521

I actually said we haven't improved players, only on my last post I mentioned players regressing.

Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Fred, Lingard, Perreira, Matic, Bailly, Shaw, Dalot have all stagnated

Rashford, Martial under pep, klopp or Poch would be much better players than they are right now.

Is your argument that players don't develop, that they don't continue their development, that they don't hit imaginary development targets or that they develop/play better under other managers because your argument seems to change with each reply?

Bailly, Rashford, Martial, Lingard all developed from when first arrived in the team but then were affected by injuries, normal inconsistencies of young players losses of form or the usual issues that occur when young players try to learn completely different styles of play under multiple different managers while Pogba had more goals & assists last year than in any other season in his career which is development. Januzaj & Fosu-Mensah also both developed before having their development stall when they went to other teams on loan. In the past 8 years Rafael, Welbeck, Cleverley, Chicharito all developed at the club before having problems with the change of style & management while DeGea developed massively as did McTominay.

Pogba thrives because he has more quality around him & Lingard scores goals because International defences generally aren't as tight & he has more quality around him but this has very little to do with development.

There you go again with your definitive statements based on nothing but your own opinion & a grass is always greener elsewhere attitude. How can you say that they'd develop better under those managers when there's dozens of cases of highly regarded players not developing under them. It wasn't long ago that Iheanacho was supposed to be City's next star, Ben Woodburn Liverpool's & Marcus Edwards Spurs yet they're nowhere to be seen & that's just 1 example from recent times from each manager but there are countless others from all of them from every club they've managed at.

Last edited:

ash_86

Anyone think he lacks acceleration? Yesterday he was through on goal with the defender facing other side . He barely managed enough to get a shot on goal. I think he should have run centrally that would have given him more options.

TsuWave

Anyone think he lacks acceleration? Yesterday he was through on goal with the defender facing other side . He barely managed enough to get a shot on goal. I think he should have run centrally that would have given him more options.

Eh, pretty easy to see why the defender caught up to him, the ball was not played in front of him at speed which made him have to sort out his feet/make sure the ball was not left behind, all defender had to do was a quick burst.

He’s fine in terms of speed/acceleration

RedCurry

He's obviously not pacy like Rashford, Jesus, Sane, Mane, Salah etc. But you don't have to be. The two best strikers of PL right now Aguero and Kane aren't the fastest. Before them RVP wasn't pacy either.

In this particular instance, I thought his first touch took him wider than he would have liked hence the defender caught up with him and his shot came from a tough angle.

mav_9me

Eh, pretty easy to see why the defender caught up to him, the ball was not played in front of him at speed which made him have to sort out his feet/make sure the ball was not left behind, all defender had to do was a quick burst.

He’s fine in terms of speed/acceleration
Disagree, that showed his lack of top speed like Rashford/mbappe

But doesn't matter. He has other strengths. As pointed out above plenty of top strikers are not crazy fast.

ash_86

He's obviously not pacy like Rashford, Jesus, Sane, Mane, Salah etc. But you don't have to be. The two best strikers of PL right now Aguero and Kane aren't the fastest. Before them RVP wasn't pacy either.

In this particular instance, I thought his first touch took him wider than he would have liked hence the defender caught up with him and his shot came from a tough angle.
Yes, hopefully his other strength can outweigh his slower burst.

TsuWave

Disagree, that showed his lack of top speed like Rashford/mbappe

But doesn't matter. He has other strengths. As pointed out above plenty of top strikers are not crazy fast.
hence, “he’s fine in terms of speed/acceleration”. There aren’t many players that have Mbappe like pace.

jb8521

I'd say it's probably because he's still growing that he looks like he lacks pace at times as he can look absolutely rapid at times such as at 7:35 in this video & from speaking to people around the academy he's generally thought of as 1 of the quicker players

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He'll probably get to play against Arsenal, and I'm really looking forward to that one. I think he might hit 10 goals before January.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Who's the last player to score goals from wide right for us? Ronaldo? Obviously it's too early to really say, but he's shown more goal threat than Pereira, Lingard or Mata have playing recently.

Davie Moyes

In the passage of play when he was through on goal it looks to me that he knows he is through and is not running full pelt as he wants to compose himself. He then tries a placement finish.

romufc

Is your argument that players don't develop, that they don't continue their development, that they don't hit imaginary development targets or that they develop/play better under other managers because your argument seems to change with each reply?

Bailly, Rashford, Martial, Lingard all developed from when first arrived in the team but then were affected by injuries, normal inconsistencies of young players losses of form or the usual issues that occur when young players try to learn completely different styles of play under multiple different managers while Pogba had more goals & assists last year than in any other season in his career which is development. Januzaj & Fosu-Mensah also both developed before having their development stall when they went to other teams on loan. In the past 8 years Rafael, Welbeck, Cleverley, Chicharito all developed at the club before having problems with the change of style & management while DeGea developed massively as did McTominay.

Pogba thrives because he has more quality around him & Lingard scores goals because International defences generally aren't as tight & he has more quality around him but this has very little to do with development.

There you go again with your definitive statements based on nothing but your own opinion & a grass is always greener elsewhere attitude. How can you say that they'd develop better under those managers when there's dozens of cases of highly regarded players not developing under them. It wasn't long ago that Iheanacho was supposed to be City's next star, Ben Woodburn Liverpool's & Marcus Edwards Spurs yet they're nowhere to be seen & that's just 1 example from recent times from each manager but there are countless others from all of them from every club they've managed at.
This post just shows you are saying things to fulfil your agenda and not reading my post. As I said 2 players of which one is McT.

Rafael, Welbeck were all under SAF reign or maybe you are forgetting, so too was DDG.

Obviously, this is a forum where everyone is entitles to their opinions. Also No way was Iheanacho, Woodburn, Marcus Edwards rated the same as Rashford, Greenwood etc.

So how do you describe Lukaku's loss of form, Alexis loss of form and Matic?

Show me where Rashford and Lingard have been injured for long periods of time to hamper their progress? and the fact that you think Lingard is a young player says it all.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
With how dire our attack has been, we need him to play, and to be as aggressive as possible. Resting him, and protecting him from being asked to shoulder too much responsibility in the team, may be the biggest issue.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Love this kid. His game intelligence at 17 is frightening. Hope we ease him in slowly though and he gets shielded from the hype machine, feet kept on the ground etc.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

The amazing thing about how two footed he is, is that he actually takes free kicks with both feet. I have never seen a player who can do that. And even though in this video he scores more with his right than he does with his left, I think that his left is his preferred foot just because he dribbles more with his left. Mind you, he can dribble with his right too. He is going to be one hell of a player...

jb8521

This post just shows you are saying things to fulfil your agenda and not reading my post. As I said 2 players of which one is McT.

Rafael, Welbeck were all under SAF reign or maybe you are forgetting, so too was DDG.

Obviously, this is a forum where everyone is entitles to their opinions. Also No way was Iheanacho, Woodburn, Marcus Edwards rated the same as Rashford, Greenwood etc.

So how do you describe Lukaku's loss of form, Alexis loss of form and Matic?

Show me where Rashford and Lingard have been injured for long periods of time to hamper their progress? and the fact that you think Lingard is a young player says it all.
You say I didn't read your post but clearly you're not reading mine or lack comprehension. You said in the past 8 years & they were all young players or new signings in the past 8 years & developed at the club.

The use of the word or in describing issues players has means that they have suffered from some of the problems mentioned not that they have necessarily suffered from all of them but there's that basic lack of comprehension again.

Yeah you're right Iheanacho wasn't rated the same he was rated higher than Rashford & won player of the tournament at the u17 world cup & there were threads on here discussing how much better he was & Edwards & Woodburn were both rated well ahead of Rashford as youth players actually so maybe don't use your lack of knowledge on the subject to try to prove a point.

Lingard actually missed 7 months directly after his debut & given your initial 8 year time frame then yes he was young in that time but I guess you're just latching on that oh so hilarious joke about Lingard still being young & saying it says it all to deflect from the fact that you have feck all idea of what you're talking about.

Lentwood

I was sceptical about Macheda, Janujaz suckered me in and I was sceptical about Rashford.

I am going to stick my neck on the line and say that Greenwood categorically IS the real deal.

Macheda was slow and Rashford is technically very mediocre.

Greenwood has all of the technical ability required, I don't need to see more than two/three games to know that. What we obviously can't know right now is how he develops physically and whether he maintains the right attitude. If both of those boxes are ticked, he will be world class. If neither are ticked, I'm still plumping for solid PL striker based on his finishing and ability to use both feet

Feel free to dredge this up in 5 years when I'm slating him on the forum after we lose 3-0 at home to Burnley :lol:

Stacks

Lingard has 4 goals in 24 for England. A big myth is Lingard and Rashford are great for england. They are currently at 1 in 5 or 1 in 8 respectively

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's fecking Van Persie with a right foot!
He's definitely got that elegance, the composure. But let's not forget van Persie was good in the air, had superb chest control and a great football brain.

But easily the most exciting prospect since Becks and Scholes IMV.

AFC NimbleThumb

Needs a better shirt number than 26.

Stupid as it may sound, he should be in the 39, 29 or 24.

Needless to say I’ve given up on the actual football, I’m going full Woodward & you can’t market 26.

eire-red

It's funny cause we've seen youth players come through who have had more of an initial impact than Greenwood, the likes of Rashford, Wilson, Macheda etc. Took Greenwood a few games to settle in, but I think it's been a long time since we've seen such a well rounded, technical player come through the ranks.

His two-footedness is insane and makes him a completely different player. Hopefully he can develop physically, improve his aerial game and all round CF play and we could have a special star on our hands. It's so rare to have such a young player with the level of decision making and mentality he has at such a young age.

There's a lot of youth names being thrown around lately, but I think the club should really focus on Greenwood, Gomes and Garner as potential first team players. All seem to have the right mentality and a skill set beyond all of our other current youths.

The likes of Laird, William's, Chong and other get mentioned a lot, and I doubt they will make it, but there's something about the 3 mentioned above that make me think they have such huge potential. The only worry is trying to integrate young players into an already young and limited squad that play bad football.

Hughes35

The amazing thing about how two footed he is, is that he actually takes free kicks with both feet. I have never seen a player who can do that. And even though in this video he scores more with his right than he does with his left, I think that his left is his preferred foot just because he dribbles more with his left. Mind you, he can dribble with his right too. He is going to be one hell of a player...
Has there ever been a player in the PL to score two set pieces in a game, one with right foot and one with left foot? If he ends up being a first team player for 10 years then it could maybe happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.