Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fantastic shot technique. Instead playing dross and drosser on no10, Ole should change formation and play with Mason on second striker

bondsname

Amazing player. Just hard to be happy for him after such a disappointing result. Fantastic finish.

Lingard doesn't deserve to start in front of him.

mav_9me

Needs to play more. When we’re hunting a goal he should be more central too with his deadly finishing
Couldn't agree more but Ole knows that. And yet. Disappointing to see him on RW.

I would 100% him rather than Rashford on the end of a cross.

RonaldoVII

Couldn't agree more but Ole knows that. And yet. Disappointing to see him on RW.

I would 100% him rather than Rashford on the end of a cross.
Yup, hoping the goal today from a central area spells the end of it.

I think we went James-Rashford-Martial-Greenwood as a front 4 when he came on. Mason was often hugging the touchline trying to link up with AWB. We could've easily kept Rashford and James wide with Mason through the middle where he can hurt them as the rest of the team looked fairly limp in front of goal.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s surreal how easy he makes goal scoring look. Hit the ball low, hard and quickly into a spot the keeper is not. Pure talent.

He’s going to break every goal scoring record ever set in Manchester United. I’d bet my house on it

Suedesi

Amazing talent. So economical with the ball too, never seems to do unneccessary flicks, stepovers etc.

His finishing reminds me of.... OLE actually

OGS is doing the right thing and bringing him gradually, he's not ready for 90 minutes of PL football week in week out yet, but what an exciting player.

fezzerUTD

Amazing talent. So economical with the ball too, never seems to do unneccessary flicks, stepovers etc.

OGS is doing the right thing and bringing him gradually, he's not ready for 90 minutes of PL football week in week out yet, but what an exciting player.
RVP

Thiagoal

The boy also seems to have an elite mentality; barely a smile broke out when he scored he just wanted to get back to the half way line to push for the winner

SplitzMagic

This little kid is on fire really but he's too cool that it's almost as if he doesn't care that he's scored. What a weapon of a left foot, I think he's too unpredictable because he's both footed. Love it.

Member 119614

So how many has he scored now with each foot? I only remember left footed goals but I have a very short term memory.

Member 119614

The boy also seems to have an elite mentality; barely a smile broke out when he scored he just wanted to get back to the half way line to push for the winner

Haaland is the same, you've seen the clip of him smashing the water bottle into the ground out of frustration? We should buy that boy. He is a winner!

RedDevilRoshi

Think he’s the most talented player to have come out of the academy since Paul Pogba.

He’s just so natural and doesn’t seem fazed at 1st team level for Utd. I’d start him ahead of James at Watford next week.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure the point of Haaland personally. Unless Martial leaves, but two 19 year old strikers next season may be overkill. Said in the summer, but Greenwood will have a 20 goal season before he’s 20. A new teenage 9 is pointless.

We should get Diego Costa if we can, the right profile for us now.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Worse thing is we are likly to buy a striker in the next 6 months, so he will hardly get much game time and will likely go backwards like Rashford did when Ibra and Lukaku came in

theklr

Not sure the point of Haaland personally. Unless Martial leaves, but two 19 year old strikers next season may be overkill. Said in the summer, but Greenwood will have a 20 goal season before he’s 20. A new teenage 9 is pointless.

They are two very different strikers though, so it could work.

Haaland is more of a poacher/runner going full speed ahead at the box, either with the ball or meeting the ball.

Greenwood doesnt have the physicality to muscle his way into the box, so he takes quick feints and shoots with very high precision.

Having two so different strikers up front would be problematic for many defences, because it is two very different ways of defending that is needed to stop them.

And just imagine if they were to be put together in front.

Could say that some of the problems we face at the moment is exactly that our front 3 are so similar that one type of defence shuts them all out more or less.

Reactions: Fortitude

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are two very different strikers though, so it could work.

Haaland is more of a poacher/runner going full speed ahead at the box, either with the ball or meeting the ball.

Greenwood doesnt have the physicality to muscle his way into the box, so he takes quick feints and shoots with very high precision.

Having two so different strikers up front would be problematic for many defences, because it is two very different ways of defending that is needed to stop them.

And just imagine if they were to be put together in front.

Could say that some of the problems we face at the moment is exactly that our front 3 are so similar that one type of defence shuts them all out more or less.
It doesn’t matter, there are still the same 90 minutes. If we sign Haaland, we would have 3 9s for one spot. Young players needing games to develop. Greenwood would likely be played wide, which is fine for a year or two. But then what, he is still the same age as Haaland, who himself is competing for games with Martial.

We can’t have both fighting for EFLCup scraps.

As I said, can work if Martial left, but then we will have two 19 year olds.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Don't worry about Greenwood, Martial will be sold or backup or slotted to the left to make way for both of them.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

For 20m there’s not much to lose with Haaland.

If we can juggle Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cole and Yorke or Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney or Van Persie, Rooney, Chicharito. I’m sure we’ll be fine with Haaland, Greenwood and Martial.

For me a front 3 of Rashford, Haaland and Greenwood should be the long term aim. Could be deadly with the right support.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It doesn’t matter, there are still the same 90 minutes. If we sign Haaland, we would have 3 9s for one spot. Young players needing games to develop. Greenwood would likely be played wide, which is fine for a year or two. But then what, he is still the same age as Haaland, who himself is competing for games with Martial.

If they both are good enough for a league winning team in two years, and Martial leaves then so what. If one of them fails, there is still two players left. It is crazy early to depend on only two strikers where neither of them have had a full professional season playing in the position. While you don't get much back from playing an older player for two years the return on Haaland may be huge, and if not you still have Martial and Greenwood. If none of them really make it we have to buy a new striker later anyways.

In Rainbows

We haven't even seen him utilize his right foot to score those same goals. However, because defenders will know he's been scoring from his left recently, they're going to give him an opportunity to score with his right. And he will make them pay.

Instead of Haaland, go after Sancho. He won't get in the way of Greenwood's development upfront. It's time we pair the best 2000 born English talent with the best 2001 born English talent.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We haven't even seen him utilize his right foot to score those same goals. However, because defenders will know he's been scoring from his left recently, they're going to give him an opportunity to score with his right. And he will make them pay.

Instead of Haaland, go after Sancho. He won't get in the way of Greenwood's development upfront. It's time we pair the best 2000 born English talent with the best 2001 born English talent.
Greenwood is not playing as CF. Even when he came on and we played 4-4-2, Greenwood played as RW, with Rashford and Martial as CF, James as LW. Right now it's better for Greenwood to play facing the goal. We can still sign Sancho, move James to back up LW position competing with Rashford.

Rashford, Martial, James is our attacking option now. Adding Sancho and Haaland means we have 5 players for 3 positions, or even 4 positions considering we play with #10.

MDFC Manager

For 20m there’s not much to lose with Haaland.

If we can juggle Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cole and Yorke or Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney or Van Persie, Rooney, Chicharito. I’m sure we’ll be fine with Haaland, Greenwood and Martial.

For me a front 3 of Rashford, Haaland and Greenwood should be the long term aim. Could be deadly with the right support.
But where's the experience? Fergie, who knew his strikers, always had an experienced striker in the squad. It's hugely important.

Mr PG

The positive from today. Watching him hug the line after the goal was painful though and highlighted why this team needs better coaches than the ones at the club right now.
Boy I was raging about that. You can’t have our best finisher hugging the touchline when we need a goal... wtf was Ole thinking. I was asking for him to start this game ahead of lingard then halftime... nothing. We all knew we were in trouble the minute we missed those early chances and needed goals but all the coaching staff sat on their arses for 65minutes.

In Rainbows

Greenwood is not playing as CF. Even when he came on and we played 4-4-2, Greenwood played as RW, with Rashford and Martial as CF, James as LW. Right now it's better for Greenwood to play facing the goal. We can still sign Sancho, move James to back up LW position competing with Rashford.

Rashford, Martial, James is our attacking option now. Adding Sancho and Haaland means we have 5 players for 3 positions, or even 4 positions considering we play with #10.
Yes, but that will change as he develops more. This same environment isn't going to last forever. If Haaland is there, it now forces Greenwood out wide no matter what because Haaland can only play up front, unlike Greenwood. I would rather Rashford be the 3rd choice striker, who only plays there if Greenwood and Martial are injured. James, and Sancho can play on either side of the wing, and #10 isn't needed in a 433.

Red_toad

Haarland (if he can transfer his form to the premier league) actually looks a better fit than Martial, who can play 10 or left side if he gets ousted.
Greenwood and James fight it out for the right, Martial and Haaland for striker and Rashford is well covered with James and Martial able to step in. Competition would drive them to improve.

roonster09

Scout

Yeah, the way he handled Greenwood is very good. Gave him few mins (ideally should have had at least 30 mins in each game) in the PL as a sub, started almost every game in cups. He is getting regular mins in almost every game.

Now next step is him getting starts in the PL, not week in week out but at least in few home games, also bringing him on early in the game instead of just last 10-15 mins. He has showed he is much better player than Lingard and Ole tweak few things and play him.

Mr PG

Plays with martial Thursday... scores two earns a penalty... then today scores in 10 minutes while martial has another blank. Shows you what we’re missing. Kid should be nailed on starter.

roonster09

Scout
Yes, but that will change as he develops more. This same environment isn't going to last forever. If Haaland is there, it now forces Greenwood out wide no matter what because Haaland can only play up front, unlike Greenwood.
But you never know which positions players will end up at, Greenwood looked more comfortable facing the goal rather than back to goal for senior team. He is picking good passes and creating chances when he is facing the goal. He is good enough to play any attacking position and it's not as if Haaland will be default starter either. He is just a 19 year old, he might end up as rotation option for ManUtd. We need options, someone who offers physicality along with pace and has hunger for goals.

Mr PG

Haaland for martial. Martial should be a bench player as them he comes on trying to make a point but if it will be survival of the fittest as Ole says( as it should be)..play the best. 4 years now Martial has actually gone backwards developmentwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.