Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Boy I was raging about that. You can’t have our best finisher hugging the touchline when we need a goal... wtf was Ole thinking. I was asking for him to start this game ahead of lingard then halftime... nothing. We all knew we were in trouble the minute we missed those early chances and needed goals but all the coaching staff sat on their arses for 65minutes.
Better quit your day job and apply to United as a coach. They need your expertise.

Last edited:

mav_9me

We haven't even seen him utilize his right foot to score those same goals. However, because defenders will know he's been scoring from his left recently, they're going to give him an opportunity to score with his right. And he will make them pay.

Instead of Haaland, go after Sancho. He won't get in the way of Greenwood's development upfront. It's time we pair the best 2000 born English talent with the best 2001 born English talent.
That's what's going to happen next. This will be his next goal. Defenders will show him outside to his right foot where he will score to the far post with a similar crisp on the ground shot.

In Rainbows

But you never know which positions players will end up at, Greenwood looked more comfortable facing the goal rather than back to goal for senior team. He is picking good passes and creating chances when he is facing the goal. He is good enough to play any attacking position and it's not as if Haaland will be default starter either. He is just a 19 year old, he might end up as rotation option for ManUtd. We need options, someone who offers physicality along with pace and has hunger for goals.
Greenwood looks more comfortable right now because he's only just turned 18. As he ages, he will become stronger and be able to go up against CBs more often. It's not like Greenwood is dominating from out wide. He's scoring when he gets his chance around the box. Out wide he's still very passive, not having much of an affect on the match. If he was performing like he did against Crystal Palace last season in his debut, I would agree with you as in that match he was going past defenders and causing havoc for the opposition. He hasn't played like that this season.

Mr PG

I don’t care how much Greenwood dominates as in the end it’s the goals that matter. 30 goal a season striker at this rate yet we’re giving him 20 minutes a game.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Mason Van Perswood
Robin Van Greensie

At this rate his should demand the number 21 next season or whatever and go full epic mode towards a league title... One can dream.

Mr PG

Amazing player. Just hard to be happy for him after such a disappointing result. Fantastic finish.

Lingard doesn't deserve to start in front of him.
I’m usually a Jesse fan but can’t excuse a player missing chance after chance from 5 yards.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Greenwood looks more comfortable right now because he's only just turned 18. As he ages, he will become stronger and be able to go up against CBs more often. It's not like Greenwood is dominating from out wide. He's scoring when he gets his chance around the box. Out wide he's still very passive, not having much of an affect on the match. If he was performing like he did against Crystal Palace last season in his debut, I would agree with you as in that match he was going past defenders and causing havoc for the opposition. He hasn't played like that this season.
That we don't know. He might be comfortable as RW and become our goal scoring RW with Rashford as goal scoring LW. He doesn't even have to dominate LW like Rashford is, he can still pick up good positions and then hurt the defenses with his ability to shoot with both feet.

Apart from that, we play many games with rotations, injuries, versatile players playing multiple positions, different coaches preferring different set ups. Right now we are short of numbers in the attack.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree with this and that is his aim longterm.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Also for the goal, he was the one who started the move. Received the pass near to half way line, played super cross field pass to James and then too up good position at the edge of the box. Everything was so natural.

redcafe_reader

I don’t care how much Greenwood dominates as in the end it’s the goals that matter. 30 goal a season striker at this rate yet we’re giving him 20 minutes a game.
I think it was smart using him like that. He is still developing, both physically and mentally. Too much pressure at a young age can break some player, also using him separately can keep his ego in check as well.

NK86

His cross field pass to James created the goal chance in the first place.
I didn't see during the live play who played the pass, but it was sumptuous. Loved it and to know it was he who played it just makes it even better.

This lad has some serious talent and I think we have a genuine prospective superstar in our ranks with him. Cannot wait for him to start tearing up the league as he grows stronger and has more experience.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Worse thing is we are likly to buy a striker in the next 6 months, so he will hardly get much game time and will likely go backwards like Rashford did when Ibra and Lukaku came in
He needs game time to develop but we have pressing issue in that we need to hit heights here and now. Maybe a loan or two will be helpful to the boy. Its unreasonable to expect us to come on in at 60 mins and chase games for us now. Maybe a bottom half PL loan will be okay for him.

DoomSlayer

People are crazy, if we sent him on loan, who will be the impact sub from the bench? Greenwood is at the perfect club and will play regardless of who we buy - he is a special talent and everyone can see it.

We seriously lack squad depth, yet people want to see one of our actually good players be sent on loan. :houllier:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Haarland (if he can transfer his form to the premier league) actually looks a better fit than Martial, who can play 10 or left side if he gets ousted.
Greenwood and James fight it out for the right, Martial and Haaland for striker and Rashford is well covered with James and Martial able to step in. Competition would drive them to improve.
That’s the issue. Greenwood should be developed as a striker, not fighting it out for the right.

DoomSlayer

That’s the issue. Greenwood should be developed as a striker, not fighting it out for the right.
I think that won't be a big issue, to me Greenwood seems like a proper footballer and could develop into a special forward, but I see your point.

Red_toad

Having a variety of players isn’t a bad thing. If Greenwood proves himself then he’ll earn a starting spot. Understudying Martial and James for a few years won’t harm him as a player. Expecting him to lead the line week out week in will. It’s very normal for strikers to start out wide.

Alemar

I didn't see during the live play who played the pass, but it was sumptuous. Loved it and to know it was he who played it just makes it even better.
if you are talking about an assist to Greenwood, David James made it

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Having a variety of players isn’t a bad thing. If Greenwood proves himself then he’ll earn a starting spot. Understudying Martial and James for a few years won’t harm him as a player. Expecting him to lead the line week out week in will. It’s very normal for strikers to start out wide.
I don’t expect him to lead the line every week. I expect Martial to. You seem to be proposing that he competes for the role of understudy with Haaland. That is not beneficial for either. As for him being the understudy for James, James himself, bar an early flurry, has struggled to show he can regularly produce at this level. He’s not scored in 3 months, and had similar figures in the Championship. He should be an understudy himself.

2 9s is enough, with Rashford able to play there as an option in an emergency. Greenwood has shown he is good enough to be second choice. He has 7 goals already, and will contribute double figures this season as second choice. Haaland makes sense if Martial leaves, how do you even decide who is first choice out of your two 19 year olds next season?

I’d prefer to get Sancho to start on the right, and only bring in another striker if Martial leaves. Or bring in a senior striker like Mandzukic or preferably, Diego Costa.

City buying two 19 year old strikers to understudy Aguero would have made little sense. It’s a simple system where Aguero is first choice and Jesus plays the other games. Iheanacho left when Jesus joined, competing for the deputy role doesn’t help anyone. Even if Greenwood spends a couple of years on the right, what happens after that couple of years? We will have a 21 year old Greenwood and a 21 year old Haaland. And a 26 year old Martial if he is here and delivering.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He brought me great joy when he kept for Liverpool but I didn't see him popping up on the wing for us in 2019 :lol:

Managing our strikers will be delicate going forward. I see the issue in having two very young strikers competing for a role under Martial, or if he leaves under an experienced striker we bring in or even between themselves to start matches. None of those options strike me as ideal, but also missing out on a great young talent in Haaland for a good price also seems counterproductive so I'm in several minds about where we go from here.

The main thing for me with Greenwood is that he must get chances as a striker. Unlike when Rashford was developing as a teenager I'd rather not see him filling in as a winger/wide forward, he'll develop best if he's able to use his best attribute to its fullest extent.

Last edited:

Sylar

Needs to play ahead of Lingard in these type of games. At least with Mason, he can create something for himself (and you can tell he likes to score / get into positions to score). I understand (for now) Lingard starting ahead of him vs City away. But this home game, Mason imo should have started. Lets see what happens vs Watford.

MDFC Manager

Followed that move live, he got into position so quickly after making that cross field pass. He's got a really good football brain already.

Talking about the initial cross field pass to James. From the right wing to the left.

poleglass red

As much as we want him playing week in and week out, we have to be careful with him due to his age.I thought he did a very disciplined role v Spurs and I personally would have played him v City. In hindsight Ole got that right. Maybe we just have to accept that for now Ole will pay him in certain games. It's hard to fathom how mature he plays for an 18 year old kid. He does look very youthful in appearance but he plays so calm and assured. He's just turned 18 in Oct. Frightening prospect

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His goal aside, he also hit a lovely pass about 40 yards to the right wing at one point, I've always thought passing is one of his hidden talents. Hopefully we'll get to see more of that in the coming weeks. Looks more and more likely we'll be signing Haland, really not sure where that leaves Greenwood in our plans considering they're the same age and play the same position though.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
As much as we want him playing week in and week out, we have to be careful with him due to his age.I thought he did a very disciplined role v Spurs and I personally would have played him v City. In hindsight Ole got that right. Maybe we just have to accept that for now Ole will pay him in certain games. It's hard to fathom how mature he plays for an 18 year old kid. He does look very youthful in appearance but he plays so calm and assured. He's just turned 18 in Oct. Frightening prospect
And that’s completely fine, we don’t need to Michael Owen him out in an underperforming team.

There are plenty of games for him. There’s no shame at being the goto sub at 18 either. It’s clear though that he’s our cup striker.

Alabaster Codify7

Another lovely goal. I'm happy with the way he's being brought along to be honest, I think he's better than Martial gun to head but I also think throwing him in the first team full-time is a mistake. Let this season be a free run for him, give him as much game-time as possible without over-exposing him.

JohnyBuckets

I dont understand why people would oppose to bring in a potentially world class player (Haaland) because of Greenwood. We currently have Rashford, Martial, James and Greenwood fighting for 3 positions. In other words, we only have one attacking option off the bench. (Dont get me started on Mata...) Bringing Haaland would probably be even better for Greenwood's development as Mason still needs to develop physically before he can move centrally towards a no. 9 role. The one thing that Solksjaer's project has been great at; is developing our talented young players. You can see it with Rashford having his best season yet, James proving he belongs and contributing far more than expected, Martial somewhat looking like there is still a WC player inside there (at least when he seems interested) and Greenwood proving that at young 18, he is the best finisher in the club. So if Solksjaer by some miracle is able to bring Haaland in, we should be over the moon!! Same goes if for a far bigger miracle we can bring Sancho to United and finally have a proper n. 7!!!

Classical Mechanic

Interesting snippet from a Laurie Whitehall article in The Athletic

His emergence has validated Solskjaer’s decision to clear a path by jettisoning Alexis Sanchez. The Athletic understands that Sanchez reacting badly to a tackle by Greenwood in training in August brought the matter to a head and Solskjaer sided with the teenager, deciding he, not the Chilean, was the club’s future.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's what's going to happen next. This will be his next goal. Defenders will show him outside to his right foot where he will score to the far post with a similar crisp on the ground shot.
That's actually already happened in the league cup match against Rochdale. came in from the right, fake to shoot with his right then cut to his left and scored at the near post.

his 2 footed ability is going to keep defenders guessing, you can't really stop him if he makes his mind up quickly.

Teja

Another lovely goal. I'm happy with the way he's being brought along to be honest, I think he's better than Martial gun to head but I also think throwing him in the first team full-time is a mistake. Let this season be a free run for him, give him as much game-time as possible without over-exposing him.
This. He shouldn't have to carry pressure that comes with the starting #9 yet. Two bad games in a row and this place will do a complete 180 on him. It's nice to bring him on a sub and start him in the EL, let him get a few goals and let the media hype him a little. Let him put a little bit of pressure on Martial. Good for the both of them.

United Hobbit

I just hope he keeps his head down and doesn't start thinking he's "made it" I think the club seem to be handling him quite conservatively I was expecting to see him get interviewed after at least the Europa game, even with a senior player with him eg Mata but it was Mata and Pereira

Out of what people have seen so far as the only time I've properly seen Haaland is the 2 Liverpool CL games, who would people say has the higher ceiling of the 2? Know its hard to tell but overall?

Just hope he can stay injury free and continue his development. I'm impressed how cool he seems being his age and in front of such a big crowd at OT you wouldn't be surprised if the occasion got to him but he seemed unphased and calmly took his goal

I'd have quite liked to have seen him take the penalty in our Europa tie the other night, we had a comfortable lead so it was less pressure but would have given him experience taking it in front of a bigger crowd than he is used to without him "costing" us the game if it was saved etc. Maybe Ole didn't want him to incase he missed and knocked his confidence. Did he take them often for the youth team? I can imagine him being decent at them due to his technique?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's getting better and better through time. I won't be surprised if slowly Ole will end up playing him over Martial. The guy is really natural finisher and already have 1 goal ahead of Martial this season.

HowYouDoin

I just hope he keeps his head down and doesn't start thinking he's "made it" I think the club seem to be handling him quite conservatively I was expecting to see him get interviewed after at least the Europa game, even with a senior player with him eg Mata but it was Mata and Pereira

Out of what people have seen so far as the only time I've properly seen Haaland is the 2 Liverpool CL games, who would people say has the higher ceiling of the 2? Know its hard to tell but overall?

Just hope he can stay injury free and continue his development. I'm impressed how cool he seems being his age and in front of such a big crowd at OT you wouldn't be surprised if the occasion got to him but he seemed unphased and calmly took his goal

I'd have quite liked to have seen him take the penalty in our Europa tie the other night, we had a comfortable lead so it was less pressure but would have given him experience taking it in front of a bigger crowd than he is used to without him "costing" us the game if it was saved etc. Maybe Ole didn't want him to incase he missed and knocked his confidence. Did he take them often for the youth team? I can imagine him being decent at them due to his technique?
They seem like diferent types of strikers.
Haaland, havent seen enough of him but seems to have RVN about him wheras Greenwood seems to have a RVP about him.
Either way, both will be elite most likely. We already have one on the team so either way we will have an elite striker for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.