Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There has to be an understanding of how problematic a player like him is for the opposition by way of his ability to take lethal, clever and decisive shots at goal in a fraction of the time it takes literally anyone else in the squad.

It means he can't be given space and has to be closed down immediately, which in turn, opens up the field for others or immediately sets chain passing in motion.

He is not yet comfortable in the team as an actual player, so is not imposing himself in the manner he did in the unders, but with more game time and belief he is not under the spotlight and the most likely to be hooked for errors, etc. he'll start to express himself a lot more and become a player neither teammates or the opposition can ignore.

That penchant for shooting with minimal backlift or drawing of the foot before striking the ball shows technical acumen you see in very few players active and it is a special skill to have. I'm sure RVP finds it amusing because many may have idolised him, but to mimic that technique requires a natural gift. Greenwood won't be accused of flukey shots/goals because it doesn't take long to detect that his ball-striking is potentially world class.

I like how ambivalent he is to his own strikes, too - truly a sign of a player whose technique is honed and true. The way he celebrates his own goals suggests this is someone who expects nothing less. I'm calling him a player rather than a kid because some of the attributes he already has are in the top percentile at the club, if not the best, and our forward line needs what those attributes bring to the table. Rashford has scored a lot of crackers from distance, for example, but how many of those have been as assured as Mason's two daisy-cutters or his last strike? Rashford has a number of attempts and one or two go in - Greenwood's have all 'come from nowhere' on a 1:1 ratio. Of course that will not remain so as he takes more shots, but the likelihood of him either scoring or testing the keeper will remain at perhaps the highest rate we have at the club.

The last forward of this calibre to come through the ranks was Giuseppe Rossi, but he was curtailed by the names in front of him, as things are at the club now, however, Greenwood has a clear path to being a starter without behemoths standing in his way. If there's any one positive to draw from this season, it'll be the emergence of Greenwood and his forays into becoming an established and accepted starter. I think he and James will jostle a bit for that right-sided berth, but it will soon be Greenwood's with James being relegated to sub or rotation.

Not sure what will happen with Haaland, but it's also nice to know that Greenwood is the ready and able stand in for Martial through the middle at this moment in time; he [Greenwood] mightn't have his man body or man strength yet, but he has a sharp mind, quick feet and the elusive cunning that CB's hate and is proving, repeatedly, that scoring against grown men isn't a problem for him.

As the games come thick and fast now, it will be very interesting to see how he is utilised - I believe he's elevated his status from 'kid being ushered into the mens' game and treated with kid gloves,' to 'player with key attributes who can affect the game at any moment' and I think it's a huge leap to have made in so few games as he's had to show his wares.

Two thumbs up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Did very well and was mature with his touches but we need to be careful with the expectations here.

He still needs to be play in a bit-part role because he won't get many games like today where we dominated possession against a team that had no threat and was suprisingly limp.

Against more athletic/physical sides, he will struggle in any of the front three positions and we'd need Jame's presence in those games.

Happy to be proven wrong but I just don't want him to play in games where he and our team would struggle, which won't be conductive for his development and obviously our form.
At the same time, we genuinely need what he brings to the side - a sharp-shooter that has to be kept an eye on at all times is a great asset for us and distraction for the opposition who opens up the field so much for others essentially by default.

I think the rabbit is out of the hat now - he's scoring top class goals at a rate that can't be ignored. At the same time, expectations should be measured as it's clear he is still finding his feet and is somewhat on the periphery for now.

We're not in a position to slowly assimilate him as we're desperate for points and that 4th place, and we legitimately need him in pursuit of said position. It's a baptism of fire, but I don't think we have to worry about burnout, not least because of his own economy of movement, but also because Ole has handled his game time well and tempers fans and their expectations not only for individuals but for the team as a whole.

We'll see how it pans out from here on in - this was his true coming out party as a starter in a big, Premiership game we desperately needed to win. It would be remiss to play that down as he's earned the right for more starts, or at least a much bigger role, off the back of this.

MDFC Manager

Really weird how all our players seem to ignore him when he’s in great positions! If Andreas had rolled him in then he’d definitely have at two goals today!
Yup, very annoying. It's almost as if he's invisible. Happened on multiple occasions this season already.

Varun1

Disagree! Play him!

Should be looking to play him for 60 mins every game possible. If he's on the bench give him 30 mins.

Who's with me here?
No-one I hope.
This works at clubs with less scrutiny but can be detrimental at a club like United. I have to say Ole has been great at 'managing' the youngsters.

meamth

Young RVP had the knack for scoring with acrobatic volleys.

We have yet to see that from Mason.

Then the comparison is complete.

Member 119614

He has to be falsely accused of rape for me to really see the comparison

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Class player. He's just so composed in goal scoring situations. I made a short-lived thread at the beginning of season predicting he would be first choice by the end of the season. A good left-back and a consistent Pogba away from becoming a force.

hungrywing

There has to be an understanding of how problematic a player like him is for the opposition by way of his ability to take lethal, clever and decisive shots at goal in a fraction of the time it takes literally anyone else in the squad.

It means he can't be given space and has to be closed down immediately, which in turn, opens up the field for others or immediately sets chain passing in motion...
TBF it hasn't looked like we have the players/staff/(insert-blameable-party-here) to apply/utliize that. Looking forward to seeing him starting much more though.

Devil may care

The progress of Rashord, Martial and Fred has been good to see this season and AWB has been superb defensively, but Mason is the most exciting thing about this season, not just the deadeye finishing, his all round play and maturity of his game is extremely promising.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He scored his 8th goal this season so far (half season). For a young player who has just turned 18 not long ago, this is impressive stuff.

POF

I think it is a lack composure -- which will be the combo of confidence and experience. He had pretty good 'vision' as in the reserves as a kid.
Possibly. I don't think he will ever get a better chance to earn a spot in the first team than this season and he's just proving himself not good enough.

Greenwood on the other hand is an absolute class act. I'd really like to see how he would play in a front 2 with Martial or Rashford.

He does a good job on the right side but I think he would have a much better chance of playing there more regularly with a right back who is better going forward than Wan Bissaka.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As I said previously people have been creaming themselves over James despite his lack of end product whereas Greenwood presents a strong case for a good alternative as he's exceptional in that very important area.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Even when he's not scoring, there's a touch of class about how he passes the ball or holds the ball up. Such a ridiculous talent.

meamth

It means he can't be given space and has to be closed down immediately, which in turn, opens up the field for others or immediately sets chain passing in motion.

He is not yet comfortable in the team as an actual player, so is not imposing himself in the manner he did in the unders, but with more game time and belief he is not under the spotlight and the most likely to be hooked for errors, etc. he'll start to express himself a lot more and become a player neither teammates or the opposition can ignore.

That penchant for shooting with minimal backlift or drawing of the foot before striking the ball shows technical acumen you see in very few players active and it is a special skill to have. I'm sure RVP finds it amusing because many may have idolised him, but to mimic that technique requires a natural gift. Greenwood won't be accused of flukey shots/goals because it doesn't take long to detect that his ball-striking is potentially world class.

I like how ambivalent he is to his own strikes, too - truly a sign of a player whose technique is honed and true. The way he celebrates his own goals suggests this is someone who expects nothing less. I'm calling him a player rather than a kid because some of the attributes he already has are in the top percentile at the club, if not the best, and our forward line needs what those attributes bring to the table. Rashford has scored a lot of crackers from distance, for example, but how many of those have been as assured as Mason's two daisy-cutters or his last strike? Rashford has a number of attempts and one or two go in - Greenwood's have all 'come from nowhere' on a 1:1 ratio. Of course that will not remain so as he takes more shots, but the likelihood of him either scoring or testing the keeper will remain at perhaps the highest rate we have at the club.

The last forward of this calibre to come through the ranks was Giuseppe Rossi, but he was curtailed by the names in front of him, as things are at the club now, however, Greenwood has a clear path to being a starter without behemoths standing in his way. If there's any one positive to draw from this season, it'll be the emergence of Greenwood and his forays into becoming an established and accepted starter. I think he and James will jostle a bit for that right-sided berth, but it will soon be Greenwood's with James being relegated to sub or rotation.

Not sure what will happen with Haaland, but it's also nice to know that Greenwood is the ready and able stand in for Martial through the middle at this moment in time; he [Greenwood] mightn't have his man body or man strength yet, but he has a sharp mind, quick feet and the elusive cunning that CB's hate and is proving, repeatedly, that scoring against grown men isn't a problem for him.

As the games come thick and fast now, it will be very interesting to see how he is utilised - I believe he's elevated his status from 'kid being ushered into the mens' game and treated with kid gloves,' to 'player with key attributes who can affect the game at any moment' and I think it's a huge leap to have made in so few games as he's had to show his wares.

Two thumbs up.
Felt like a RAWK post, almost poetic.

But good read, thumbs up.

Pyro19

Even when he's not scoring, there's a touch of class about how he passes the ball or holds the ball up. Such a ridiculous talent.
Complete truth. Atleast once or twice every game we're stuck in our half and Mason plays a defence splitting pass that sets up our players for a counter. He rarely misplaces the ball and with that lethal finishing we really have one of the most complete youngsters in the game.

VJ1762

RVP's volley against Charlton Athletic(I think) when he was at Arsenal was one of the best goals I have ever seen. If he wasn't so injury prone, he might have been in consideration for the best CF of his generation.

Also, I think Greenwood, if he keeps this form up till the end of the season, should be in contention for the Euros. Been playing better than the likes of Hudson-Odoi.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Complete truth. Atleast once or twice every game we're stuck in our half and Mason plays a defence splitting pass that sets up our players for a counter. He rarely misplaces the ball and with that lethal finishing we really have one of the most complete youngsters in the game.
Yeah, I think potentially he's much better than Rashford(who himself is ridiculously talented). If he can match Rashford in work rate and ethics, then he'll be world class in two years.

meamth

To be honest it's still hot on cold..

He did misplace a lot of pass vs Watford.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
There are so many positives about him, it really is the highlight of the season.

This link up play and passing have been excellent as he always keeps it simple, and has a knack of playing the right pass and not over-complicating things as youngsters tend to do.

His shooting technique is just ridiculous. Defenders can't give him half a yard on his left, he just lets it rip with such accuracy. He can finish with his right too.

But what i've been most impressed with has been his movement off the ball. He always manages to get into good positions, and its infuriating how may times he's ignored. Andreas, and even Martial yesterday could've played him in multiple times. Im guessing this kid is looking around him and is baffled by the decisions players around him make time and time again.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think one of the biggest complements you can give him is when that ball fell to him on the edge of the box yesterday there’s not many others in the squad I would prefer it to fall to. Greenwood just hits the ball with such power and precision and you could almost sense a goal. Even with the deflection it’s a brilliant goal!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Outstanding talent. I did worry a little early on in the season as his touch and passing didn’t look ready for this stage just yet - that has clearly been ironed out and is now a starter.

Now we can use James more effectively coming off the bench and starting in rotation.

I know Mason is very good with his right foot but has he scored any in the senior team with it yet?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
8 goals and he’s only started 9 times.

The real deal. Happy to have him as a starter for the foreseeable.
I think he should definitely starting more home games then he doesn't, I reckon James may still be the better bet away from home and rotating both in such a way should keep both fairly fresh

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Averages a goal/assist every 89 minutes. Serious player.

Acole9

Outstanding
What I like about him is that he's not afraid to have a shot but he's not like Rashford who will just shoot from anywhere and have zero chance of scoring.

Jonno

Outstanding talent. I hope we can keep rotating him like we are, effectively starting 1 in every 2 and coming off the bench every 1 in 2.

An absolute beast of a striker. He’s still learning how to translate his youth football to play at the top level which is the most amazing thing about it, imagine how good he will be in 2-3 years time.

laughtersassassin

I hope you're being sarcastic.
Teenager. Below 20. There is not many playing at all right now. I really just meant best scoring which is a factual statement but yeah he is up there as the best as there are very few players below 20 playing.

Rolaholic

Teenager. Below 20. There is not many playing at all right now. I really just meant best scoring which is a factual statement but yeah he is up there as the best as there are very few players below 20 playing.
Tbh he has had the better season compared to Felix although Felix was brought in to be a starter on a better team

Greenwood has been averaging a goal contribution every 90 mins and has the most amongst under-20 players in Europe this season outside of Sancho who I still think deserved the Golden Boy ahead of Felix and has played a lot more senior team minutes than Mason

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Have to say yesterday, his decision making in possession was the best of all our front line. That is an incredible feat considering how little senior football he's had compared to them.

He's a great example of forcing the question on whether he should be starting every week. Well done lad!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No-one I hope.
This works at clubs with less scrutiny but can be detrimental at a club like United. I have to say Ole has been great at 'managing' the youngsters.
Seems many of you are living in the 90s still - again... a constant problem with Utd's fanbase.

In the modern era, with Sport Science where it is and with the right management there's no reason that an 18 year old shouldn't be featuring regularly.

I'm very confident that we'll see him feature regularly after what he's shown in recent months.

Status
Not open for further replies.