Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How far do we reckon he can go? His ability is without question and so far appears to have a good head on his shoulders. Could we have an elite gem here, Van Persie, Kane etc level?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
How far do we reckon he can go? His ability is without question and so far appears to have a good head on his shoulders. Could we have an elite gem here, Van Persie, Kane etc level?
For me, it is only a question of his mentality. He has all the talents in the world, but if he fails to apply that, he wont make it. As we saw many times

Suvvernmanc

Hes playing wide as many strikers have over the years, to learn a different aspect to his game. His finishing is top class even for someone still so young. He will absolutely end up as a #9 as that's where his main talent shines, scoring goals.

The world is his oyster. In my opinion he could be world class. And that term gets thrown out there far too much. He will get better and better with game time and his peak wont be seen for another 7 or 8 years! Scary

OrcaFat

His footwork and balance and his body shape as he sets himself to shoot are very reminiscent of RVP - peak RVP that is. He looks like a natural in those aspects. The rest of his game is less developed but coming along nicely.

Keeping in mind he won’t be 19 until October, you have to imagine he will fill out a bit and get stronger and probably faster as well. The sky is the limit for this kid.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't mean this in a 'let's get carried away' tone, but as an 18 year old striker, there is no real clear flaw to his game. His decision making is good, at 6'1(?) he's near enough perfect height, he is extremely two-footed and is an absolutely potent finisher.

I think the only pieces of criticism you could level are ones that will come with time -- he's timid aerially and he often fizzles out of games if he doesn't score. But those are totally understandable - he's an 18 year old playing against grown men in the Premier League.

crossy1686

career ending
I think we've got every right to get carried away with Greenwood. Albeit his cameo's have been against largely inferior opposition compared to our first team, they are still professional teams at a higher level than reserve football.

I personally haven't seen a more natural striker since maybe Michael Owen burst onto the scene? I honestly think Greenwood will make the 2022 World Cup squad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't mean this in a 'let's get carried away' tone, but as an 18 year old striker, there is no real clear flaw to his game. His decision making is good, at 6'1(?) he's near enough perfect height, he is extremely two-footed and is an absolutely potent finisher.

I think the only pieces of criticism you could level are ones that will come with time -- he's timid aerially and he often fizzles out of games if he doesn't score. But those are totally understandable - he's an 18 year old playing against grown men in the Premier League.
I’ve been saying that about him for a while. Only real flaw is imposing himself on games, which will come as he grows more accustomed to first team football. If people think he’s good now wait until they see what he can do with his passing and dribbling, I’ve never felt so confident saying a player will make it as I am with him. By the sounds of it he’s very well grounded too.

DBT85

I might have to add him to my Rooney v Rashford v Ronaldo goals/assists per 90 table.

I'll have to call him Reenwood obviously.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To the very top. He’s quite shit in the air tbh, but other than that - his game is already at an extremely high level.

He’ll almost certainly end up a centre forward and will be the striker to succeed Martial I suspect. Injury and attitude permitting.

AltiUn

Thought this was a decent little video for those unfamiliar with his time in the academy, he may not have the pace of Rashford or James but the way he can run at full pelt with the ball still glued to his feet is pretty incredible.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Thought this was a decent little video for those unfamiliar with his time in the academy, he may not have the pace of Rashford or James but the way he can run at full pelt with the ball still glued to his feet is pretty incredible.
Somebody said Greenwood has hit 37kmph which is the same as Rashford this year. He looked pretty fast when he scored against Watford, I think he's just been struggling with stamina so we never really see his true speed while he's getting used to the speed of the game. Once he fills out and has more of a mans body he's going to be the perfect player IMO

AltiUn

Somebody said Greenwood has hit 37kmph which is the same as Rashford this year. He looked pretty fast when he scored against Watford, I think he's just been struggling with stamina so we never really see his true speed while he's getting used to the speed of the game. Once he fills out and has more of a mans body he's going to be the perfect player IMO
That was made up apparently, mods on Reddit kept having to take the post down because of it, he's fast just not breakneck fast which is fine.

Adam-Utd

That was made up apparently, mods on Reddit kept having to take the post down because of it, he's fast just not breakneck fast which is fine.
Fair enough, can't say I saw anything official. Anyway he's more than fast enough, good strikers are fast in their heads which is more important.

OL29

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

Gifted Academy product Mason Greenwood recently threw his name into the hat to become United’s fastest player this season by producing a blistering top speed of 37.60 km/h. That is higher than any other Red this campaign.
I know these stats are sometimes misleading but goes to show that maybe the concerns about his pace are premature. I think once he fills out and learns to cope physically with the men’s game he’ll demonstrate his speed more often. He’s shown signs of this in recent cameos.

Handré1990

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

I know these stats are sometimes misleading but goes to show that maybe the concerns about his pace are premature. I think once he fills out and learns to cope physically with the men’s game he’ll demonstrate his speed more often. He’s shown signs of this in recent cameos.
Yeah, I’ve never seen his pace as an issue. Having watched him before he broke through, he’s pretty fast, but he doesn’t use his pace as a crutch. Still not a grown man’s body, it will be a few years still before he’ll feel confident going head to head physically against seasoned pros. We only need to look at Marcus’ development to see what transpires between 18-21/22 years of age.

Remember when Rashford smashed VvD earlier in the season?:drool:

macheda14

Fair enough, can't say I saw anything official. Anyway he's more than fast enough, good strikers are fast in their heads which is more important.
It wasn't made up, it's been officially reported by the club as shown by the post above this. (Now two posts)

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
He has been incredible. We have real cause now not to sign too many players that will block his path. Personally feel our attack has a good balance today, but we can upgrade james.
We need a true out and out right winger now that most of our plays are central and to balance bissaka attacking deficits on that side. Until then it's never really a balanced side.

Mylock

This lad will go right to the very top, he will be our no 9 in 18 months. I was trying to think of a player who I could compare him to and came up with Marco Van Basten. He has to improve his heading but that will come. When he starts to play regularly as a no9 he'll get plenty of headers. It's all about how much he wants it, the world is his oyster.

RUCK4444

This lad will go right to the very top, he will be our no 9 in 18 months. I was trying to think of a player who I could compare him to and came up with Marco Van Basten. He has to improve his heading but that will come. When he starts to play regularly as a no9 he'll get plenty of headers. It's all about how much he wants it, the world is his oyster.
When comparing him to players there is no doubt his style and technique is so so similar to Van Persie.

I called this about 3 years ago in the academy games, it’s a running joke between me and my mates because I always pipe up and say I called it first whenever a commentator or pundit mentions the similarity to Van Persie. :lol:

His run style, technique, passing... almost everything remind me of Van Persie.

Even things like, just before he strikes the ball he makes small adjustments and throws his arms out to the sides EXACTLY like RVP.

Scary thing is that he also so comfortable striking of either foot.

Mylock

When comparing him to players there is no doubt his style and technique is so so similar to Van Persie.

I called this about 3 years ago in the academy games, it’s a running joke between me and my mates because I always pipe up and say I called it first whenever a commentator or pundit mentions the similarity to Van Persie. :lol:

His run style, technique, passing... almost everything remind me of Van Persie.

Even things like, just before he strikes the ball he makes small adjustments and throws his arms out to the sides EXACTLY like RVP.

Scary thing is that he also so comfortable striking of either foot.
He plays like he's dutch, always looks in control of the situation.
Marco van Basten was the original no9 for Holland, a legend. Van Persie based his game on Van Basten and it looks like Mason did the same. The future is bright, the right signings & sales this summer and we won't be far behind.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I have pity on the goalkeepers for their utter confusion when he pelts the ball at them - ha!.

Best young no 9 I've seen in a while and he's not with Raiola and doesn't have a huge ego for PSG to take the piss out of as per Haaland.

Love our Mason

Bestietom

I think we've got every right to get carried away with Greenwood. Albeit his cameo's have been against largely inferior opposition compared to our first team, they are still professional teams at a higher level than reserve football.

I personally haven't seen a more natural striker since maybe Michael Owen burst onto the scene? I honestly think Greenwood will make the 2022 World Cup squad.
He could even make the 2020 euro's now, as it's not played until 2021. He has a great future ahead of him if he keeps his feet on the ground and don't get too big headed.

Falcow

To have him and Rashford both homegrown and both very young is really exciting. I didnt realise he is 6'1, probably cos he is so silky on the ball.

Not sure about his pace but RVP, Shearer, van Basten were not known for their pace so not too concerned about it.

There is something about his attitude that I really like, seems very humble or something, maybe due to his low key celebrations. If he has or can develop a Ronaldo like desire for improvement then the sky is the limit. Super exciting young player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Adam-Utd

It wasn't made up, it's been officially reported by the club as shown by the post above this. (Now two posts)
Thought as much. His acceleration obviously needs a little work but his top speed is perfectly good. Similar to Rooney he always used to be around the top in speed, but you wouldn't call him rapid.

James and Rashford both accelerate better and would probably win a race, but Greenwood is faster than he shows IMO, probably just a little low on stamina.

Based Adnan

Have a feeling he would have snuck into the Euro 2020 squad this summer. Next summer? Dead cert if he keeps this up

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Have a feeling he would have snuck into the Euro 2020 squad this summer. Next summer? Dead cert if he keeps this up
Doubt he would have for this year. There are Ings, Abraham & Calvert Lewin to back Kane, they have good season. Outwide, Southgate would have choose Maddison, Grealish or even Mount. Not to mention there are already Rashford, Sancho & Sterling.

reddevilchennai

How is this Covid break going to affect upcoming players like Mason?

I think they need proper training to fine tune them, a run of games, and growing confidence to make it as a first team regular. With this break, they need to start fresh from the scratch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I think they need proper training to fine tune them, a run of games, and growing confidence to make it as a first team regular. With this break, they need to start fresh from the scratch.
Not much at all.

AltiUn

If I were a footballer, it'd affect me more if I were in my prime as it's usually fleeting anyway so losing any of it would be disheartening.

Status
Not open for further replies.