Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Such a shame his right foot isn't as accurate as his left. Everytime he has the ball on penalty box, you can't help but expecting something extraordinary from him.
It's a sign of world class player in the making.
Didn't he shoot pen against Tranmere with his right foot? So he is natural with his right, not left

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Best performance of the 5 forwards that played today. He really shouldn't be coming off the bench anymore.
Agreed. You can't arbitrarily sit the lad just because of his age. If he's ready, then he's ready. He looked brilliant yesterday.

Tarrou

Starting to look ready to start, but I'm sure we'll continue to keep easing him in. The odd start here and there, increasing in frequency as he keeps improving.

James isn't that good on the right so it won't be long before he's starting more games there, for sure.

There interesting thing will be when he starts pushing Martial for the striker spot, which might not be that far away either.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Didn't he shoot pen against Tranmere with his right foot? So he is natural with his right, not left
He just takes pens with his right. Apparently missed one with his left once and has gone right ever since. Not sure how true that is though as I’ve seen him miss several with his right.

Generally in the academy I found he heavily favours his left when dribbling but usually slightly favoured his right when shooting. Since stepping up though he’s been favouring his left a bit more with shooting. Likely just down to nerves and confidence, once he’s fully going I’ll imagine he’ll be back to the 50/50 that makes him so deadly.

lenny_1248

He just takes pens with his right. Apparently missed one with his left once and has gone right ever since. Not sure how true that is though as I’ve seen him miss several with his right.

Generally in the academy I found he heavily favours his left when dribbling but usually slightly favoured his right when shooting. Since stepping up though he’s been favouring his left a bit more with shooting. Likely just down to nerves and confidence, once he’s fully going I’ll imagine he’ll be back to the 50/50 that makes him so deadly.
It's true, he said it himself. He missed pen in the game against City.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole follows the if you're good enough you're old enough mantra. If Greenwood doesn't start ahead of James next game then I don't think he's a brave coach

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It is, he just needs to build his confidence up at senior level when using his right. If that shot had come after 3-4 games, it would've been a goal. It just speaks volumes how much of a natural and clinical finisher that we're all surprised it didn't find the back of the jet, crazy to think he started the season 16 years old.
Yeh. Loris was already wrong footed. If that shot on target, it would have been a goal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's got to start against teams that sit back. His movement and ability to create himself half a yard of space is incredible for someone so young. I like James, but when he isn't afforded space to run into then he struggles. Against teams that want to play he can cause some serious problems, and if he doesn't start then his pace can be a real asset from the bench against tiring defences.

dal

His technical capacity is quite staggering. He seems like he’s grown his frame very quickly, he looked very strong and balanced which I don’t quite get.

I don’t say this lightly but it seems his natural technical attributes are similar to Bruno’s, Rashford is brilliant but relies on more dynamic abilities, this kid is something else.

tjb

Given Martial's lack of consistency and injury history, I'm predicting that Greenwood would have taken his spot by the end of next season. In fact, if Martial isn't consistent during this end of season run, I'm not so sure that he wouldn't be on the transfer table after the season ends. It's pretty clear that the plans we have revolve heavily around Rashford and Greenwood in attack. Martial is not viewed as important as either now or in the future, unlike Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Given Martial's lack of consistency and injury history, I'm predicting that Greenwood would have taken his spot by the end of next season. In fact, if Martial isn't consistent during this end of season run, I'm not so sure that he wouldn't be on the transfer table after the season ends. It's pretty clear that the plans we have revolve heavily around Rashford and Greenwood in attack. Martial is not viewed as important as either now or in the future, unlike Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood.
Add Mctomimay in there

jamesjimmybyrondean

Mctominay will definitely be here for his career. What I'm note sure about is whether he can make the step up to being a top dm. If he can,he will start for years.
I think Scott is viewed as important to Ole and is one of his favorites

Adamsk7

He is light years ahead of Dan James already, which is no slight on James, more just to say that Greenwood is ready to be a starter on the right for the remainder of the season. His frame has filled out during the break and he looked very dangerous when he came on.
I think we’ll still bed him in slowly but next season I can see him getting games on the right (hopefully as an understudy to Sancho!) and up front, where I hope to see more of him.

I do think he’s got a lot of work to do on his movement and partially I guess that could be from playing on the right (and of course being so young) but I hope he does develop in that area because oddly that is also a weakness of both Martial and Rashford.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That chance he had against Spurs. With more practice to make it on target, he could actually make it very deadly in his game. Imagine if you can score goals that way and score same amount of goals with your left foot cutting inside, like a cheat code in football match. Not only defenders, keeper will find it hard to predict which way he'll go.

jem

He looked fantastic. There were a few moments where he just glided past the defenders. Incredibly graceful.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We've got a lot of games coming up with not much time between them, so Greenwood certainly won't be starting every match. He'll probably start one game a week with the other game being fought over by James, Mata, Lingard and Periera (most likely in that order of preference unless one of them is doing extremely well in training to go up the pecking order). Mata did kick into form after we signed Bruno, so hopefully that will continue and he will play most of the 'other' matches where we rest Greenwood.

Raven

Sorry but this is total nonsense. Just because you don't view Martial as important doesn't mean that's Ole's opinion.

Hoof the ball

It's a curious one. It's very similar to Arsenal and Martinelli. Influential players outperforming their counterparts in goals and assists, playing far fewer minutes than players with far less productivity.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Surely he has to play ahead of James? Much more of a threat against deep defences as he doesn't need any space to play in.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Surely he has to play ahead of James? Much more of a threat against deep defences as he doesn't need any space to play in.
I agree. I think his forms better but also his goalscoring potential is greater. We could still have ighalo or a Martial etc on the bench still which is pretty good. James needs time to develop and mature his game.

El Jefe

If we sign Sancho there's a real possibility our front line could be - Sancho Rashford Greenwood

I know Marcus has done well on the left but we saw how devastating he can be up front in Ole's first few games last season. Sancho cutting in from the left is more dangerous that on the right IMO. Greenwood on the right is an absolute nightmare for defenders, you have no clue which way he can go and he's clinical to boot.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
If we sign Sancho there's a real possibility our front line could be - Sancho Rashford Greenwood

I know Marcus has done well on the left but we saw how devastating he can be up front in Ole's first few games last season. Sancho cutting in from the left is more dangerous that on the right IMO. Greenwood on the right is an absolute nightmare for defenders, you have no clue which way he can go and he's clinical to boot.
England likes this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I don't see it myself. Rashford is clearly at his best playing off the left.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Rashford did have a good period when Ole first took over, but otherwise he's normally struggled when playing up front. His entire game basically boils down to 'use my speed to make runs behind the defender and try to stay onside'. He's normally much better on the left where he can run at the defenders and cut inside.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If Ole doesn’t star Greenwood against Sheffield, I’ll be fecking fuming.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
People need to calm down a little bit, he's going to be great, but as a starter he's gassed after 70 mins and isnt always that effective from the start, it's a completely different prospect than coming on against tired opponents who havent played in three months.

Worried that he'll get torn a new one when he doesn't look the business against Sheffield United if he starts.

Really excited to have a player like him come through though, he looks awesome.

lex talionis

Greenwood is a sensational prospect in the making who's already superior to James in every way that's relevant except perhaps pure pace. I don't mind Ole rotating him in and out of starting XIs at this point in the boy's career, but it was night v day stuff when James came off for Greenwood.

kopviolator

People need to calm down a little bit, he's going to be great, but as a starter he's gassed after 70 mins and isnt always that effective from the start, it's a completely different prospect than coming on against tired opponents who havent played in three months.

Worried that he'll get torn a new one when he doesn't look the business against Sheffield United if he starts.

This is inevitable, unless he turns into Messi he'll be torn a new one at some stage. Rules of the caf.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I usually avoid praising young and new players and have reserved stand because of which i get a lot of stick from more passionate supporters (James, AWB, McT are few examples). But man, except in Martial's case i wasn't so overwhelmed with one our player like i am with this kid. That is attacker by my standards :wenger: .

Kid doesn't have real flaw. Dribble, technique, finishing with both feet, confidence, good amount of pace....everything looks great. I thought that it is mistake to push him on the wing but that is exactly where i want him to see in future. Inside forward who will score goals. Hope he will start from now.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would be happy if He could reach RvP's highest level at Arsenal (minus playing for them, of course). Looks possible to me. What a talent. Maybe when He's 26, or 27.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Agreed. This already happened earlier in the season when he started against City and they all started saying "not ready for it, needs a loan etc"

Right now he does seem to be at his best as an impact sub but i'll be happy to see him start if he does.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Agreed. This already happened earlier in the season when he started against City and they all started saying "not ready for it, needs a loan etc"

Right now he does seem to be at his best as an impact sub but i'll be happy to see him start if he does.
Yeah I agree, would love to see him start (James hasn't done enough to warrant starting right now) I just dont want the inevitable to happen, Greenwood is probably learning a ton coming on for 30-45 minutes and is gaining confidence, it would be a shame to ruin him by expecting too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.