Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes in that Rooney was a near complete player from around 18 (and arguably didn't progress much after that) whereas Ronnie took years to reach his peak. And while it's true that it was easy to see Ronaldo had huge potential, I don't think anyone who watched his debut season for us would have predicted his transformation into a line leading no 9. We were all expecting a pacy, flashy, winger (which he was of course).

Except
Rooney was the superior footballer when they were younger regardless of who had more natural ability or developed better. He was more complete, he was more intelligent, he was more mature and he was more definitive.[/QUOTE

Ronaldos highest level, on his best days was always higher it was obvious despite Rooney having more consistency and maturity he was more ordinary in technique. His touch would often let him down and he remained a very streaky goal scorer throughout his career. Anyway this is Mason Greenwood thread and it will be exciting to see how good he can become in his own right ,

jackal&hyde

Future star no doubt. A front 3 of Rashford Martial and Greeneood looks like a realistic option come the end of the season. Fluid front 3.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

This is the kind of movement that is needed, you don't have to be big to score from crosses. It's the movement. When Chong was about to cross the ball, Greenwood was near the penalty spot. When your strikers/attackers lack that movement, it's easy to defend the crosses.

Hackman2210

My only worry here is that he is defo coming into the squad to take 1 of the strikers positions. Does it weaken our negotiating stance as cleary we do not need Lukaku anymore? Inter must be looking and thinking, Utd dont even need Lukaku. Why pay top dollar when in theory we are happy to sell him?? £60million sounds like a good deal - another wage gone and Fernandes should cost that to bring in on less money. We'll be better off long term.

romufc

I hope he is given the time to show what he can do and express himself.
The good thing is, Ole believes in him and Rashford, a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood looks promising because all 3 can play across the front line with interchanging positions during games. Nightmare for defenders, when you have Lingard running around and Pogba coming in late.

Handré1990

My only worry here is that he is defo coming into the squad to take 1 of the strikers positions. Does it weaken our negotiating stance as cleary we do not need Lukaku anymore? Inter must be looking and thinking, Utd dont even need Lukaku. Why pay top dollar when in theory we are happy to sell him?? £60million sounds like a good deal - another wage gone and Fernandes should cost that to bring in on less money. We'll be better off long term.
It’s completely irrelevant. An academy player with a whopping 2 games (1 as a sub) for the first team won’t have any bearing on our negotiation with Inter.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

This is the kind of movement that is needed, you don't have to be big to score from crosses. It's the movement. When Chong was about to cross the ball, Greenwood was near the penalty spot. When your strikers/attackers lack that movement, it's easy to defend the crosses.
Lukaku would have make that cross like a poor cross and people will start saying that we can’t create good chances for our striker.

Hackman2210

It’s completely irrelevant. An academy player with a whopping 2 games (1 as a sub) for the first team won’t have any bearing on our negotiation with Inter.
I'm not 100% sure i agree - as Inter will pick up all the whisperings and will have seen greenwoods impact. It'll have an effect maybe not a massive one but it'll be mentioned by Inters negotiating team. Why wouldnt it? Its plain to see and if you read on here 90% of us would sell Lukaku and bring greenwood into the squad.

Handré1990

I'm not 100% sure i agree - as Inter will pick up all the whisperings and will have seen greenwoods impact. It'll have an effect maybe not a massive one but it'll be mentioned by Inters negotiating team. Why wouldnt it? Its plain to see and if you read on here 90% of us would sell Lukaku and bring greenwood into the squad.
That’s your prerogative of course, but that’s quite the stretch, in my opinion.

Irrational.

Will certainly be a number 9 in time. I suspect he’ll have a 20 goal season by 20 years old. From watching him as a 16 year old in the academy there was a clear polished ness to his game. He’s like nothing I’ve seen at United for many, many years - and probably the best teenage striker in the world I reckon.

It was clear that he wasn’t a ‘needs to develop his game’ young player in the academy. More a case of ‘once he gets comfortable at senior football’. But his game is already massively complete. He will of course still get better, but his talent is very rare.

He’s no winger though. He has skill and wing attributes, but they are, for me, not so extreme as his qualities that make him suited to the centre forward role. They are more supplementary, and a bonus that he can beat men - but his outstanding qualities are not searing pace and dribbling. As a centre forward though, he has everything.

If we can add Sancho next summer I think we’d finally have the pairing to take us back to where Rooney and Ronaldo put us in the coming years. Hopefully, Pogba is still around for that.
How does he compare with the Liverpool lad Brewster?

Classical Mechanic

To share my own knowledge of the players: Brewster is more the kind of striker to finish moves. He does score some spectacular goals but he doesn't have the technique level of Greenwood. After the u17 World Cup Brewster had a terrible run with injuries and missed the best part of two seasons so there's a question of what effect that has had on him. Since he's come back at the end of last season he has done well, he's grown a lot and looks very strong. From what I have seen he has a big time mentality too and I don't think he'll be afraid of the big stage.

Klopp seems to think a lot of him and claims he'll have a big role to play this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For me, he is different level to Brewster. Brewster isn’t that impressive a footballer, his all round ability and even his goals are not as impressive, however - he has an instinctive knack for goalscoring. His numbers are more impressive than his general ability to me, but goals are obviously very useful in football!

Classical Mechanic

For me, he is different level to Brewster. Brewster isn’t that impressive a footballer, his all round ability and even his goals are not as impressive, however - he has an instinctive knack for goalscoring. His numbers are more impressive than his general ability to me, but goals are obviously very useful in football!
Yeah, he's more of a poacher whereas Greenwood is the kind of player to light up games.

Irrational.

Yeah, he's more of a poacher whereas Greenwood is the kind of player to light up games.
Thanks for the insight. Brewster has been getting some rave reviews so it'll be interesting to see how Klopp integrates him into their front three, with Origi knocking on the door too. Seems like Mason has a better chance of breaking through.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Twitter is already full of people comparing him, Brewster and Nketiah :lol: "No, my clubs player is the best".

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Twitter is already full of people comparing him, Brewster and Nketiah :lol: "No, my clubs player is the best".
Must be frustrating to compare 19 year old Brewster and 20 year old Nketiah to 17 year old Greenwood and still lose by a mile. :drool:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rivalry aside, Brewster’s never really impressed me anyway, World Cup aside (and really he wasn’t even the best performer in that team).

Nick7

Rivalry aside, Brewster’s never really impressed me anyway, World Cup aside (and really he wasn’t even the best performer in that team).
Brewster is good. He's more of a poacher though.

OlesAtTheWheeeel

I don't see the hype in this kid. He's scored in a friendly against a bad Inter side and people saying he's the next RVP and Ronaldo rolled into one. He's too small. I see the next David Bellion tbh.

AshRK

Arsenal fans are the worst. They always like to be a part of a conversation and force themselves to be involved in one. One of the most irritating set of fan base they have.

Mickson

Brewster is good. He's more of a poacher though.
Like Adam Morgan was? That went well. I haven't seen much of Brewster so I won't say anything though, but a poacher only at youth level seldom become anything special, like Macheda or Morgan. But itäs obviously possibly that Brewster has more than that as I said I don't know. I do know that Greenwood is one of many fantastic English players right now coming through.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't see the hype in this kid. He's scored in a friendly against a bad Inter side and people saying he's the next RVP and Ronaldo rolled into one. He's too small. I see the next David Bellion tbh.
Cause you've only watched one game. He gets his hype from his excellent academy form where he's been the best player in every team he's played in. You're a very poor judge of talent if you see "the next David Bellion". What an absolute waste of one of your allowed daily posts.

desirere

Seriously, no white text? People aren't hyped about him beacuse he scored two goals in pre-season friendlies. Its his skill set, instict and academy performances.

And too small?

You must have been a full grown man with 17 years on your belt, beard and everything... and puting that fact aside, he's 181 cm tall. Where on earth is that small?

Kearnkoff69

Where do you get that from? Based on (probably inaccurate) measurements on transfermarkt, he's between 5'9" and 5'10", and close to 150 pounds. As a 17 year old, we're still years away from seeing his most honed physicality, seeing as he's probably still carrying around baby fat. Even if he only grows another inch, 5'10" or 5'11" is by no means too short to be a striker in this day and age (Yorke and Cole were both around 5'10" and they seemed to do just fine), and I'd expect to see him put on significantly more muscle mass as his body matures and is able to bulk. I'm by no means ready to anoint Greenwood as the second coming of (Brazilian) Ronaldo, but this kind of comment is just senseless.

SteveW

Jesus....
Cause you've only watched one game. He gets his hype from his excellent academy form where he's been the best player in every team he's played in. You're a very poor judge of talent if you see "the next David Bellion". What an absolute waste of one of your allowed daily posts.
:lol::lol: Brutal

sp_107

I hope he is given the time to show what he can do and express himself.
The good thing is, Ole believes in him and Rashford, a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood looks promising because all 3 can play across the front line with interchanging positions during games. Nightmare for defenders, when you have Lingard running around and Pogba coming in late.
If they don’t score in few games and we lose those matches imagine how this place would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.