Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 4:0 Chelsea

rotherham_red

Just bought my Greenwood #26 away shirt today.

Apologies if that offends those who have decided to no longer buy shirts because we didn’t buy Bruno Fernandes.
I'm going to get the Gomes and Greenwood shirts this year, just waiting on the release of the third kit. That Gomes 28 on the back of the away is going to be :drool:

Havak

Pokemon master
Glad he got on the pitch already, he's definitely going to get chances this season. However, I wouldn't get too carried away as I would undoubtedly say that he will be behind Rashford, Martial, Lingard, and James most of the season (at least in the Premier League). He'll do well to get more overall minutes than Mata and Sanchez still most likely as well. Depending on the Sanchez situation, if he gets fit and finds form, he will probably be selected more than Greenwood as well. Since we're in the Europa League, I would hope that Greenwood gets a few games as the central striker. I'm not trying to be too pessimistic, but he is only 17 and has all the time in the world. If he impresses us a lot in the Cup matches and limited appearances from the bench in the Premier League then so be it, throw the lad in more! If not, he'll still get more than enough minutes to develop his game here. He's way ahead of where we should expect him to be, as he's basically seen as part of the first-team squad at 17-years old. That rarely happens.

SoCross

Didnt he have a shot on goal which was blocked? Wasn’t quite sure if it was Greenwood...

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Didnt he have a shot on goal which was blocked? Wasn’t quite sure if it was Greenwood...
Yeah he did. He also showed some silky touches on the right.

He'll get plenty of games this season and he's got the correct mentality to not shy away, he demands the ball.

stepic

more reason to pay for Sanchez to leave for Roma. more opportunities for this kid.

let's face it, we're not winning the league this year. the more time Greenwood and Gomes gets the better. any minutes for Sanchez are utterly pointless.

VJ1762

I would be pretty disappointed if Ole does not give him significant minutes tomorrow. He is going to make united great again.

haram

Well there sure is a lot of pressure on three young forwards...

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

I would be pretty disappointed if Ole does not give him significant minutes tomorrow. He is going to make united great again.
Wouldn't read too much into that tbh

klayton88

Can't wait for the Suns headline... "Ole SLAMS Rashford & Martials ability"

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah we should boot 17 year old Greenwood out if he doesn’t win us games.
Nah, we should give him a cuddle after every game, and sub him off if any of those meanies makes one of those nasty tackles on him. Am I doing it right?

haram

Nah, we should give him a cuddle after every game, and sub him off if any of those meanies makes one of those nasty tackles on him. Am I doing it right?
If you are trying to say we should protect him, yes we should.

In Rainbows

Well we do have to protect the 17 year old. Are you suggesting otherwise?

Handré1990

Think the point is that if he’s playing games for us, he can surely take a compliment from his boss without getting a seizure. Don’t be so precious.

VJ1762

Yeah we should boot 17 year old Greenwood out if he doesn’t win us games.
I believe he will not require much time to get used to the pace of the PL. He is going to be star.

ivaldo

If you are trying to say we should protect him, yes we should.
Well we do have to protect the 17 year old. Are you suggesting otherwise?
I'm saying that if we can't even show confidence in the lads finishing ability for fear it will put too much pressure on him, then the poster is right, he shouldn't be at the club. Thankfully, I don't think Greenwood has the nerve of a frightened child, so he'll be just fine.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I doubt many are doubting his finishing ability, but physically he obviously will need protection.
Someone like Michael Owen is a good example of what can happen long term if you don't.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I doubt many are doubting his finishing ability, but physically he obviously will need protection.
Someone like Michael Owen is a good example of what can happen long term if you don't.
What happened to Owen? Burn out?

With Owen he relied on his pace alot which deserted him due to injuries. He was a good finisher but once he lost half a yard he wasn't close to the Owen we saw in his Liverpool days.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What happened to Owen? Burn out?

With Owen he relied on his pace alot which deserted him due to injuries. He was a good finisher but once he lost half a yard he wasn't close to the Owen we saw in his Liverpool days.
It's believed that he had a lot of injures due to being overplayed, and starting his career really early.
I'm not sure if it's actually true or not, but it's worth keeping in mind when thinking about greenwood, I think.

ivaldo

He's been training with Jones. If he was injury prone then our Phil would've found that out already.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think Mason will be integrated into the team gradually over the season with Ole and the coaching staff monitoring him game by game.

It just shows how highly he's thought of as a finisher that Ole rates him higher than both Rashford and Martial.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's believed that he had a lot of injures due to being overplayed, and starting his career really early.
I'm not sure if it's actually true or not, but it's worth keeping in mind when thinking about greenwood, I think.
I think with Owen he got over played by Evans and Houllier at a very young age, he was just 17 at the time. His minutes weren't managed hence he suffered too many injuries.

haram

I'm saying that if we can't even show confidence in the lads finishing ability for fear it will put too much pressure on him, then the poster is right, he shouldn't be at the club. Thankfully, I don't think Greenwood has the nerve of a frightened child, so he'll be just fine.
That’s not the point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Protecting him = managing his minutes.

That's my understanding of what some of you're saying regarding 'protecting him'.

LVGWay

Why don’t we just loan him out to a PL club? Also he’s skinny, could do with some protein shakes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why don’t we just loan him out to a PL club? Also he’s skinny, could do with some protein shakes
He's not skinny at all. He's actually physically quite strong for a 17 year old.

Skinny people don't gain weight by chugging down protein shakes either, just saying..

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Protecting him = managing his minutes.

That's my understanding of what some of you're saying regarding 'protecting him'.
Plus making sure he doesnt get too complacent and too big for his boots. We have had way too many examples of teenagers who flopped after a meteoric rise recently.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Pretty honest from Ole, and should hopefully inspire both Rashford and Martial to get their shit together for this new season.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He's 17, he needs to be carefully managed yes. However even now he's a different animal to Michael Owen ever was. At his peak Owen was 5 foot 7 about 10.5 stone Mason is already approaching 6 foot 1 and is just over 11 stone. I wouldn't be worried about his physicality at all. Sure injuries could happen, but it's about mentally protecting him from the rigours of the game, as well as helping adjust to the level at his own rate.

I appreciate Owen started having injury troubles at about 19, but he was playing a huge amount of football at the age of 10, nevermind 17. He was poorly managed from the start. Mason hasn't been.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's 17, he needs to be carefully managed yes. However even now he's a different animal to Michael Owen ever was. At his peak Owen was 5 foot 7 about 10.5 stone Mason is already approaching 6 foot 1 and is just over 11 stone. I wouldn't be worried about his physicality at all. Sure injuries could happen, but it's about mentally protecting him from the rigours of the game, as well as helping adjust to the level at his own rate.

I appreciate Owen started having injury troubles at about 19, but he was playing a huge amount of football at the age of 10, nevermind 17. He was poorly managed from the start. Mason hasn't been.
Mason has actually played alot of football since he was 6. His Dad even took him to Sunday league to play against grown men so they would kick him when he was younger.

With Owen it might have also been a case that he was just injury prone. I remember Spurs had a player called Darren Anderton who was an absolute sick note but he'd be fully fit to play for England at major tournaments.

Lam

Many players have played a lot at a young age (Giggs and Ronaldo comes to mind) and have been at their peak post 30 too. And, many cases like Owen and Rooney are there too. It all comes down to the individual physique, care and discipline (and not to forget recovery/care during key injuries).

I think Owen was more of a case of injury mismanagement than anything else.

Shiva87

Many players have played a lot at a young age (Giggs and Ronaldo comes to mind) and have been at their peak post 30 too. And, many cases like Owen and Rooney are there too. It all comes down to the individual physique, care and discipline (and not to forget recovery/care during key injuries).

I think Owen was more of a case of injury mismanagement than anything else.
Owen also looked to be a case of, been there done it syndrome. I didn't think it at the time, but when you see his post match punditry on TV, it is so obvious that he was very full of himself. Once he the won the Ballon D'Or, I think he didn't have the same drive anymore.

With Rooney, he was always going to have a tough time once he reached 30 given his body type and his well known love for a party. In our current squad, Shaw seems to be the one who will have similar issues as he grows older. Fortunately, he seems to have turned a corner in the last year or so, but if he doesn't take extremely good care of himself, he will start waning at 30 instead of 34-35.

Status
Not open for further replies.