Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he plays. He should be judged according to first XI standards and age shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

He mad very little impact and looked abit lost. Not surprising as he shouldn’t be anywhere close to our PL squad!

Might be a prospect but that’s what he is, and we will damage his progress with such responsibilities.
Or just give him chances and believe in him a little whilst being patient. Judging him by unrealistic standards is what managers who aren't good with youth like Mourinho do.

Ace of Spades

Also, by the time he got on the field, AWB was on a yellow card. That meant he had little support on that side, as AWB was andnot going forward a lot. That is why a lot of our attack was going from the left . Tough game to come in and at a difficult time.

Stacks

If he plays. He should be judged according to first XI standards and age shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

He mad very little impact and looked abit lost. Not surprising as he shouldn’t be anywhere close to our PL squad!

Might be a prospect but that’s what he is, and we will damage his progress with such responsibilities.
He has 2 apps FFS. Not even a loan spell at senior level. Have a word with yourself

Andersons Dietician

Felt a bit bad for him when I actually remembered he was on the pitch. Just couldn’t get himself in to the game really but not the best game to come in to.

Stacks

I suggested that Mason and Gomes be sent on loan to the Championship like what Chelsea do and a poster told me this would do Nothing for them as if they are ABOVE this level. Lingard even went on loan to Birmingham. Summer was weird as half the fanbase saw untried youths as the next thing to place their hat on which is inappropriate at any club that wants to compete. Arsenal have a striker who they think is as good as Mason and they still signed a senior attacker irrespective as to whether it blocks the path of a 17 year old (child) because Arsenal are a serious team who wants to compete as opposed to an Academy conveyer belt. Under 18 is so far from Senior level that I want to see him on loan to a championship or league one side to see if he can lead the line at this level. Jermaine Defoe and Harry Kane were both loaned to league one to prove themselves and gain experience and it was good for them

R'hllor

He is not ready brigade in full force, after what, 60 min played total. Sure he aint up to standards of 10 year older pro with Lukaku first touch in the same game. Argh

Stacks

He is not ready brigade in full force, after what, 60 min played total. Sure he aint up to standards of 10 year older pro with Lukaku first touch in the same game. Argh
Why would he be ready though seriously? Because you are a don at under 18 level? There is a process of initiation that comes with scepticism as most youngsters do not break through. Tis why I wanted a loan as he is still an untried kid

Bwuk

The issue is because of how piss poor our squad recruitment is, we are relying on a 17 year old to win games for us.

It’s not fair on him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The lad played 35 minutes and people are already asking him to be loaned..:rolleyes: And because he didn't make a impact it also proves people who are asking for Gomes to be included are deluded..:houllier:

Mason is part of the first team because of his exploits as a striker coming through the ranks. He's been shunted outwide for obvious reasons and people expect him to make a impact straight away in a position that isn't best suited to his skillset. Did some of you ask for Stam, Evra or Vidic to be loaned out after their poor starts at the club? He needs at least 10 games as a starter before we can even form a modicum of a opinion on the lad going forward. It's very knee jerk to jump to conclusions after a 35 minute sub appearance when we were struggling to open up a bang average Crystal Palace team. With the burden of creativity falling heavily on Paul Pogba in midfield with little to no help. Palace to their credit defended very well and it was extremely difficult to play through them with only Pogba showing signs of invention/creativity. Personally I was hoping Ole would play Mason centrally with Martial just behind. But it wasn't a surprise to see him be starved of the ball due to the sea of Palace shirts who made it extremely difficult by defending deep and taking advantage of our lack of creativity in central areas with the exception of Pogba.

Gomes at 19 plays in a central area where we're bereft of creativity, and is better equipped to help relieve the creative burden on Pogba and our midfield. And I believe he should be playing now, because we damn well miss his skillset potentially. How many times do we have to see the likes of Lingard, Mata etc before we realise we're going through the same loop against teams who defend deep. I'd rather give Gomes a run of games, than see the same mediocrity struggle to open up even the bang average of teams constantly. Gomes I believe would add to the threat Pogba poses with his playmaking ability, due to Gomes himself being a very classy and skilled playmaker potentially.

We either go with the tried and trusted failures or show faith in the potential of the Maestro Gomes IMO. When will the penny drop?

Devil may care

He played a nicely weighted incisive pass in the build up to our goal, other than that he struggled to get into the game, but he's 17 and I have no expectations of him yet, needs lots of time.

LoneStar

He did nothing of note and shied away from the ball I felt.

But expecting a 17 year old to make an immediate impact is just ridiculous. It's clear he needs more time and patience from the fans and the club.

Really shouldn't be putting such pressure on youngsters, but alas, we literally have no one to bring on. Shocking management from the club.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

But expecting a 17 year old to make an immediate impact is just ridiculous. It's clear he needs more time and patience from the fans and the club.

Really shouldn't be putting such pressure on youngsters, but alas, we literally have no one to bring on. Shocking management from the club.
Yeah it ended up being a terrible substitution. Would have been better off keeping Lingard on.

That said, nothing against Greenwood. Bringing him on in that scenario was probably too much pressure.

Code-CX

I think he'll develop in to a good player, but we're putting way too much pressure on him. Our attacking options are so thin we're forced to play him when we need a goal / have an injury to Martial/Rashford. How Woodward managed to think we're fine with our attacking options this season is a question for the ages.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It says a lot about our squad that people were going expecting / hoping that Greenwood would be the answer. I feel sorry for the young lads tbh.

LoneStar

Yeah it ended up being a terrible substitution. Would have been better off keeping Lingard on.

That said, nothing against Greenwood. Bringing him on in that scenario was probably too much pressure.
It's a sad world where keeping Lingard on would have been a better choice. :lol:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's not ready. It's unfair to put this amount of pressure on a 17 year old with barely any senior football under his belt. And to think there were actually many people on this forum during preseason who thought he should be leading the line for the club this season.

Stojan Stamenic

His positioning when playing without a ball on right side is not very good. Feels like Ole wants him to be some kind of right forward, more like waiting in 20 yards zone while wan bissaka does something in wide area. Shame, because he could be really dangerous while running with the ball from touchline and cutting inside

Stacks

The lad played 35 minutes and people are already asking him to be loaned..:rolleyes: And because he didn't make a impact it also proves people who are asking for Gomes to be included are deluded..:houllier:

Mason is part of the first team because of his exploits as a striker coming through the ranks. He's been shunted outwide for obvious reasons and people expect him to make a impact straight away in a position that isn't best suited to his skillset. Did some of you ask for Stam, Evra or Vidic to be loaned out after their poor starts at the club? He needs at least 10 games as a starter before we can even form a modicum of a opinion on the lad going forward. It's very knee jerk to jump to conclusions after a 35 minute sub appearance when we were struggling to open up a bang average Crystal Palace team. With the burden of creativity falling heavily on Paul Pogba in midfield with little to no help. Palace to their credit defended very well and it was extremely difficult to play through them with only Pogba showing signs of invention/creativity. Personally I was hoping Ole would play Mason centrally with Martial just behind. But it wasn't a surprise to see him be starved of the ball due to the sea of Palace shirts who made it extremely difficult by defending deep and taking advantage of our lack of creativity in central areas with the exception of Pogba.

Gomes at 19 plays in a central area where we're bereft of creativity, and is better equipped to help relieve the creative burden on Pogba and our midfield. And I believe he should be playing now, because we damn well miss his skillset potentially. How many times do we have to see the likes of Lingard, Mata etc before we realise we're going through the same loop against teams who defend deep. I'd rather give Gomes a run of games, than see the same mediocrity struggle to open up even the bang average of teams constantly. Gomes I believe would add to the threat Pogba poses with his playmaking ability, due to Gomes himself being a very classy and skilled playmaker potentially.

We either go with the tried and trusted failures or show faith in the potential of the Maestro Gomes IMO. When will the penny drop?
I wanted him loaned before he played in our 1st team period as he is a 17 year old with zero 1st team exp and it's big pressure to play in a team in transition. I cite Jermaine Defoe who at 16 had a terrific spell at Southend. This allowed him to get used to being a leading striker and being relied upon at senior level. He broke an English record and the rest is history. Gomes should play definitely.

Tarrou

We the fans have not placed pressure on Mason.

That was done by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer when he told the world Mason Greenwood, a 17yr old untested kid, was the replacement for one of the all-time PL record goal-scoring centre forwards.

Even after Ole knew we were 'trying' to replace Lukaku externally on the final day of the window.

Greenwood will be fine, but he's not ready for first team football and shame on Ole for defending the board's inability to bring in reinforcments.
do you have a link to that quote?

Tarrou

well he helped win the penalty didn't he?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How can he be judged on that at all? Calm down. And to suggest Ole put pressure on Greenwood is dumb as well. He brought him on in a losing cause. No sane person is blaming Greenwood for that loss.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not his fault he couldn't get involved, we were struggling to use the ball before he came on. He wasn't going to change that from the right wing position, especially after Bissaka's yellow. The only place Greenwood should be when facing a team sitting deep is in the box, like a fox. Not out on the right, what is he going to do there? When he gets the ball he has got two men on him, no space and no overlapping fullback. Chong would have made more sense to put on in this scenario. It is ok to start him on the right side, but he should be playing up top if he comes on last 10 minutes or so, a much quicker way to get him in front of goal.

Sylar

I mean, looking at this thread, most are saying hes not ready, and should go out on loan. Ok fine, but how many times have loans actually worked to help develop our players? Even if we just look at post Fergie times, from the players out on loan, which have benefited from this?

Tuanzebe maybe? Who else?

Seaman

Supports
Barnet

Age dont matter at senior level. Lukaku was moved on and greenwood was promoted. Either he is not ready and there is where u23 and loans come in. Or you are ready and will be judged by first team standards.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You want to give the youth a chance but you don't want the learning curve that comes with it. Some of you are just living in fantasy land. The worst thing i can say about him yesterday is that he fell into the same rythm as the rest of the team in not taking responsibility and trying things.

If you want to see him thrive then he needs to either a) come on when we're comfortably winning and confidence is high or b) start games. These young players need time to first get nerves out of their system to start with before they settle into games and show what they can do. Throwing them into these types of games often brings these types of performances. I've seen it so many times down the years.

haram

How can he be judged on that at all? Calm down. And to suggest Ole put pressure on Greenwood is dumb as well. He brought him on in a losing cause. No sane person is blaming Greenwood for that loss.
He is putting pressure on Greenwood. He is the first forward we look to when trying to get something from a game. He's 17. Fans calling for him to just be shoved into the team because we have no one else. If he has a few bad games we don't know how it could affect him. It is on Ole that we sold Lukaku and are open to selling Alexis despite this. The manager is as naive as our young forwards.

Thiagoal

Whether people think he’s ready or not is immaterial! We have no one else so he’ll be playing lots of minutes! Played it too safe yesterday; I think he should come on behind the striker where he can have more impact! To be fair Palace were playing so deep and doubling up on him I’m not quite sure what people were expecting him to do?

Treble

Do fans of other clubs over hype their talented youngsters so much? Ready at 17? Is Mason the new Messi?

The pressure around the team this season will be huge as another season without CL footy might really harm the club. Not the best time and context to develop youngsters. Their confidence might take a proper hit if they are supposed to do too much too early.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Young striker doesn't look great when coming on for a team with zero creativity, blame young striker.... makes sense

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’m not worried about the pressure put on him. Mid table doesn’t come with much pressure. He just needs to pretend he’s playing for Bournemouth.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The stage is way too big for him right now but to be fair, he did play a forward pass which led to the pen. Something we didn't even see Lingard do once all game long.

amolbhatia50k

The few times I've seen him now he look excellent in and around the box, but when he picks up the ball deeper he is really raw and seems to not really know how to deal with it.
He'll know how to deal with it once he gets more chances.

amolbhatia50k

People want him to start so they can bash him after 3 games.
I like to see talenred youngsters thrown in for home games. It's fine if they don't do brilliantly. Experience and game time will help them grow. The problem is that people want us to give youngsters chances but also for them to play not like kids usually do. The key is to give them gamtime and be patient with their teething period.

Status
Not open for further replies.