Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

He is 17.

Seventeen.

Goodness, does our fan base (and seemingly coach) put way too much pressure on youngsters. We should be introducing him like most other clubs do with their young players. Give him substitute appearance when we're a couple of goals up or start him in the cups. You don't introduce him in a match like this.
The reason we want to see Greenwood involved getting chances and also the likes of Tuanzabe and Gomes and some even want Garner is due to the lack of recruitment yet again this summer.

Personally not worried at all by the players we have failed to replace as they were all very average players, we should have been losing more players....but still doubts over Lindelof, still Lingard/Mata as our number 10s and still no proper right winger.

So having the same players yet again who have failed to impress and no options bought in to strengthen, the youngsters really are our best option and should be getting chances.

This is only one game so such a knee jerk reaction by fans. Greenwood and Gomes and Tuanzabe should all be getting opportunities from the bench week in week out in my opinion. The problem is there is huge pressure on them to be salvation this year in a very average side, unlike the youngsters of yesteryear coming into good sides with great players to learn from.

We should persevere with these youngsters, possibly wrongly because they are our only option due to another poor summer in the transfer market

Mcking

And the conclusion that he is ready was drawn from several meaningless games/friendlies, no?
No, from a fair amount of minutes. Players do make sub appearances where they struggle to influence the game. If it was Martial coming off the bench and struggling to get in the game, would you say he is not 'ready' for the first team, or does that work with only new players and teenagers?

Treble

No, from a fair amount of minutes. Players do make sub appearances where they struggle to influence the game. If it was Martial coming off the bench and struggling to get in the game, would you say he is not 'ready' for the first team, or does that work with only new players and teenagers?
We paid a lot of money for Martial because he proved his ability already at Monaco. Mason hasn't done much to suggest he is ready. He was brilliant at youth level. The step from U23 to the PL is huge though. Very few players aged 17-18 were/are capable of contributing for a team contending for top 4.

Mcking

We paid a lot of money for Martial because he proved his ability already at Monaco. Mason hasn't done much to suggest he is ready. He was brilliant at youth level. The step from U23 to the PL is huge though. Very few players aged 17-18 were/are capable of contributing for a team contending for top 4.
I'm not talking about the teenage Martial we signed from Monaco, I'm talking about the Martial with over 170 appearances for us. The point is that an anonymous performance in one substitute appearance does not show that a player is not ready for the first team. Martial, Rashford, Mata, Lingard, Lukaku has all had single sub apps for us where they couldn't make any impact whatsoever. No one whipped out the 'not ready' card in their cases. The nonsense only seems to show up when it is teenagers or debutants. More minutes and games with the first team will show if Greenwood is actually ready or not. He made a good cameo against Arsenal last season, and was very good against Cardiff and in pre-season. That's a bigger sample size than 35 minutes against Palace.

LoneStar

Age dont matter at senior level. Lukaku was moved on and greenwood was promoted. Either he is not ready and there is where u23 and loans come in. Or you are ready and will be judged by first team standards.
Even the greats like Messi or Ronaldo hardly shone when they were his age. And in teams which are superior to what we have now.

It's clear he is not ready, as are 99% of the players at 17. Expecting him to contribute a lot is idiotic. We made a massive mistake not buying anyone, and I'm guessing we'll pay for it dearly.

Smores

Anyone being critical of a 17 year old struggling to get into that game is an idiot.

Bringing youngsters on in such a game is not the best management. Better to start them and bring on the experience if needed. Still as long as he's getting minutes it's good.

Alemar

Greenwood is not a winger, but he played almost exclusively on the touchline (likely an instruction). He must play as a forward (RW and RF are different roles). Cut inside, get into the box, shoot - not run down the touchline and cross

United58

Do fans of other clubs over hype their talented youngsters so much? Ready at 17? Is Mason the new Messi?
I think it happens when big clubs go through rough patches. In the early 2010s, there was loads of talk of Liverpool teenagers (Spaniards in particular) who would all go on to win the Ballon d'Or. Zelalem at Arsenal was better than Fabregas apparently - he makes sporadic appearances in the MLS now.

We're desperate to get back to our previous success and we'll clutch at whatever straws we can - amping up the pressure on the youngsters in the process.

Treble

I think it happens when big clubs go through rough patches. In the early 2010s, there was loads of talk of Liverpool teenagers (Spaniards in particular) who would all go on to win the Ballon d'Or. Zelalem at Arsenal was better than Fabregas apparently - he makes sporadic appearances in the MLS now.

We're desperate to get back to our previous success and we'll clutch at whatever straws we can - amping up the pressure on the youngsters in the process.
I agree. Let's hope Mason lives up to the expectations.

Bestietom

There is too much expected of this young man this season, Lukaku should have been replaced along with Herrera.

MAME DIOUF 32

Reading some of this you'd think he was the first sub to ever come on and not get into a game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's started one competitive game in the EPL in his favoured position and was considered the best player on the pitch by many fans and pundits alike against Cardiff City. I guess the stage wasn't too big for him then and he didn't need a loan either.

AJ10

Anyone being critical of a 17 year old struggling to get into that game is an idiot.

Bringing youngsters on in such a game is not the best management. Better to start them and bring on the experience if needed. Still as long as he's getting minutes it's good.
This.

SteveW

They seemed to play mostly down the other side. What was he supposed to do?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Physically, he might not be ready but the way he is being introduced into the games is spot on for me. It's not as if there's a plethora of better options, until January he should be getting chances. Technically, he can play for this team, but he needs to play further up top where he will have the ball mostly in the final third. He is not strong enough yet and will get bullied on the wing. I hope to see more of him, this will be good for his development to see the speed and physicality of the professional game. With some work in the gym, he'll be ready by next season to be part of the rotation full-time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
While he's only getting near the line up because of our lack of options and generally not being that strong a team, that in itself is an issue, as he'll come on quite often in the midst of a limp performance.

But then again, if we were a strong team, he wouldn't be getting much of a look in!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not sure what we doing with him. No point bringing him on and asking him to perform a wide midfield role with James, Martial and Rashford ahead of him in what was essentially a 4-3-3. You take on them off, put him up front and the other two wide. If we’re going to be loath to sub them off, then we’re better off having players like Fred or even Chong on the bench. Even Maguire got sent up top without Greenwood getting a real sniff.

In Rainbows

People need to remember that Januzaj didn't hit the ground running either. His first two games were against Crystal Palace and Liverpool (cup match). Sunderland was his breakout performance. Thinking Greenwood isn't ready is strange considering he did have a good performance against Crystal Palace in his one start last season.

You're essentially saying he isn't ready because he's inconsistent which is perfectly normal for a 17 year old. Let him play some more before deciding he isn't ready.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How can people start saying “he’s not ready, he shouldn’t be playing”. He’s just a young player, of course he still looks raw. That should have been expected to begin with. We need to be patient. The more games he plays, the better it is and he will grow more into the game.

I have no issue giving him chances playing in starting XI.
IMO, he should be starting against Southampton. He made better impact with that one single pass that won us penalty more than Lingard in the last 3 games.

Greenwood - Martial - Rashford/James front three.

dabeast

Mason may well be a star. But we need to keep Alexis to save this season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I cant help but feel this young lad is not being bled into the team,more like thrown in.

He's talented but I feel this is far too soon for him.

romufc

What happen to if you are ready, age doesn't matter.

The criticism is beyond me. Let him play and express himself and judge him after 15-20 games.

I would rather he is slowly brought in by Ole, rather than him doing what Janujaz, Macheda done where we thought brilliant, we have our next superstar here.

If he is brought into the team on sub bases and the odd start and he grows into a Manutd player, I feel he will become a better player in a few years time.

But then again, if we were a strong team, he wouldn't be getting much of a look in!
To be honest this is slightly incorrect, the reason he gets in is that Ole chose not to replace Lukaku because Greenwood will struggle with game time.

Ole has faith in him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tbh it's good that the hype has died down a little since the start.

People were going mental expecting over the top things as per usual.

El Jefe

When you really think about it, Ole/Ed are fecking mental. Seeing as Martial and Rashford are nailed on starters for every game it means Greenwood plays a huge role in our season as he's the only other striker.

Relying on a 17 year old to this degree is borderline criminal. As much as we praise SAF, he would never blood Mason in this way.

For all the shite we gave Lukaku, when in the right place mentally he's a bonafide goalscorer and Greenwood at this stage of his career can't even be compared to Rom let alone being his replacement. If he was our fourth striker I really wouldn't care but he's our 3rd striker and first or second attacking option off the bench. Ridiculous expectation is being placed on him and just makes Ole look all the more naive.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Martial's out against Southampton does anyone think we might start him? He seems to be our substitute for RW, I'm assuming we'll go something like:

Rashford
James - Lingard - Greenwood

Not sure who else we really have, that's an insanely young attack.

NWRed

When you really think about it, Ole/Ed are fecking mental. Seeing as Martial and Rashford are nailed on starters for every game it means Greenwood plays a huge role in our season as he's the only other striker.

Relying on a 17 year old to this degree is borderline criminal. As much as we praise SAF, he would never blood Mason in this way.

For all the shite we gave Lukaku, when in the right place mentally he's a bonafide goalscorer and Greenwood at this stage of his career can't even be compared to Rom let alone being his replacement. If he was our fourth striker I really wouldn't care but he's our 3rd striker and first or second attacking option off the bench. Ridiculous expectation is being placed on him and just makes Ole look all the more naive.
SAF did play and trust youngsters but most of the time SAF had the luxury of giving youngsters playing time in a winning team. We don't have that luxury now, what we do have is a crop of very talented youngsters that will benefit from first team football.

We also aren't relying on Greenwood, we start with 1 central striker and have Martial and Rashford as first choices, this is perfectly normal squad management. We are light on the right wing so Greenwood is getting some opportunities out there but he's hardly first choice, he's just getting 30 minutes here and there.

El Jefe

SAF did play and trust youngsters but most of the time SAF had the luxury of giving youngsters playing time in a winning team. We don't have that luxury now, what we do have is a crop of very talented youngsters that will benefit from first team football.

We also aren't relying on Greenwood, we start with 1 central striker and have Martial and Rashford as first choices, this is perfectly normal squad management. We are light on the right wing so Greenwood is getting some opportunities out there but he's hardly first choice, he's just getting 30 minutes here and there.
We absolutely are. He will come on in a lot of games this season and if just one player out of our current front four of James, Martial, Rashford and Lingard is out for a period of time its highly likely he could have a starting spot. We also desperately need his goal contribution as we are a low scoring team who just lost Lukaku.

Fergie had a crisis in CM and still didn't play Pogba as often as we wanted. I remember wanting Rossi to get game time so bad because he was smashing it in the reserves and he got very limited minutes. SAF would play the youngster but never a 17yo consistently unless his name was Giggs.

dev1l

We absolutely are. He will come on in a lot of games this season and if just one player out of our current front four of James, Martial, Rashford and Lingard is out for a period of time its highly likely he could have a starting spot. We also desperately need his goal contribution as we are a low scoring team who just lost Lukaku.

Fergie had a crisis in CM and still didn't play Pogba as often as we wanted. I remember wanting Rossi to get game time so bad because he was smashing it in the reserves and he got very limited minutes. SAF would play the youngster but never a 17yo consistently unless his name was Giggs.
What if Greenwood has the potential to be as good as Giggs?

NWRed

So, in 91/92 SAF was managing a team who hadn't won the league in a long time but he did have a talented youngster who he thought could make a difference, so played him, but you're criticising Ole's decision making with regards to Greenwood.

SAF's decision making wasn't always correct, he signed some poor players in his time, he also signed some great players who didn't work out. His decision making with regards to integrating youngsters was undoubtedly influenced by the fact he virtually always had a successful team, so didn't have the opportunity or need to drop 3/4 players and throw in a group of youngsters. Let's not forget SAF's decision making with regards to Pogba led to him leaving and ultimately cost the club a lot of money.

El Jefe

What if Greenwood has the potential to be as good as Giggs?
Its a question of what he can do for us right now. Can he be as good for us as Giggs was when he first broke through? That is asking a lot as only Owen, Fowler and Rooney are in that batch of teenage prodigies in the PL.
So, in 91/92 SAF was managing a team who hadn't won the league in a long time but he did have a talented youngster who he thought could make a difference, so played him, but you're criticising Ole's decision making with regards to Greenwood.

SAF's decision making wasn't always correct, he signed some poor players in his time, he also signed some great players who didn't work out. His decision making with regards to integrating youngsters was undoubtedly influenced by the fact he virtually always had a successful team, so didn't have the opportunity or need to drop 3/4 players and throw in a group of youngsters. Let's not forget SAF's decision making with regards to Pogba led to him leaving and ultimately cost the club a lot of money.
You do realise we are comparing Mason to Giggs right? Arguably the greatest teenager the PL has seen. We are a side that struggles for goals and just sold one of the most reliable scorers in the PL and have replaced him with Greenwood who is just 17. That's a bit mental IMO.

This is also an inexperienced side with zero hold up play, it's not a side with experienced players like Sparky and McClair. There was also a lot more experience across the board in that Fergie side.

We need 10-12 goals from Mason this season and I think that's asking a lot of him.

dev1l

BTW before the famous Beckham/scholes,Neville batch, a few years before there were the Fergie fledglings: Russell Beardsmore, Mark Robins, Lee Sharpe and others.

There is always a risk with youngsters but the potential benefits are huge

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think He’ll get a couple of goals if he starts the easier matches for us and his confidence will rocket. Who knows where he’ll end up by the end of this season. Maybe he’ll even be a starter by the end? I think the experience he’s already getting is very good for someone so young and at a club of our size. On the other hand I do agree with posters who say we’ve let ourselves down not buying any creative players and relying solely on such young players to save us could really set them back, especially if they mess up in a big game or whatever. It’s not really fair.

edcunited1878

If Martial's out, I would put Rashford up front with James, Lingard or Mata, Pereria.

Greenwood comes off the bench and then he starts the first cup game as a CF. United need a result against Southampton, obvious we prefer/want the 3 points, but the squad is still mentally fragile due to the lack of experienced and mature players who have quality. We don't know how the squad will react.

Alemar

If Martial is injured, Greenwood shall start as a 9 against the Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.