Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So he's basically praising a 17 year old? once again whats wrong with that?.....He's replaced lukaku, it doesn't mean he'll play from the go when you have Rashford as a striker even when Martial is injured.

Are you really comparing a player who has played in prem before plus in spain vs a 17 year old? Some really think this is like fifa as young players won't feel the physicality of it.
He's not "basically praising a 17 year old". You just agreed yourself, he's replaced Lukaku. No top manager would ship their main striker for an unproven 17 year old and then go on to publicly pin pressure on that player to help with the goal burden. Then he went on to not play him when there's only one fit striker in the squad match day thread, and played a center mid out wide on the right.

And yes, I'm comparing Greenwood to Pereira because we know the latter is bang average even after his experience and he also went on to operate in areas out of his remit (rotating with Mata on the right position which he had no clue about). The former meanwhile is tipped to make a big impact on the team by his own manager. So yes, you can understand if fans are starting to call Ole out regarding not starting Greenwood.

For what it's worth I have no issues with Ole's starting lineup on a standalone basis, but putting it against to what he says about Greenwood it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
for not starting a 17 year old? :lol:

What a moronic post, if he started him and not played well then I wouldn't be surprised if you posted calling Ole naive for playing a 17 year old.
His age has nothing to do with it.

Nobody would have held it against Ole if he left Mason in the reserves, didn’t sell Lukaku/Sanchez and said simply because ‘Greenwood is 17’.

The fact is, he hasn’t done that, he has engineered a situation where Greenwood is the backup forward. Yet, he has again engineered a situation where he can try everything but play the 17 year old, including starting the rubbish Pereira on the right, where he has never started him previously, ahead of Greenwood, whom he was happy to start on the right in pre-season under no pressure.

Once the real stuff starts, he makes a call to decide Andreas is a forward option, and a forward option that is ahead of Greenwood suddenly. Which is cowardice.

Stadjer

Think it's smart to slowly introduce him to the PL, lad is only 17.
If he is good enough he is old enough. Lingard and Pereira arent better than him when they start at RW. If he is the best option he should start. In 10 minutes he showed more than Lingard and Pereira combined.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think it's smart to slowly introduce him to the PL, lad is only 17.
Indeed. It would have been smart to have played Sanchez or Lukaku ahead of Greenwood today. Nobody would complain.

It is never ‘smart’ to play Pereira on the wing ahead of Greenwood, as you would deliberately be playing an inferior option.

AJ10

He's not "basically praising a 17 year old". You just agreed yourself, he's replaced Lukaku. No top manager would ship their main striker for an unproven 17 year old and then go on to publicly pin pressure on that player to help with the goal burden. Then he went on to not play him when there's only one fit striker in the squad match day thread, and played a center mid out wide on the right.
Not sure what me admitting it has to do with anything, Ole said himself he's replaced lukaku.... Me saying it makes truer? as I wasn't disputing it.

Pretty sure Rashford was the main striker when Ole came in. Andreas also played there before and Lukaku never started a game on RW for us and why would lukaku's replacement play as a rw, as he's a direct replacement for a striker as you and Ole said....oh me as well.

Denis79

Indeed. It would have been smart to have played Sanchez or Lukaku ahead of Greenwood today. Nobody would complain.

It is never ‘smart’ to play Pereira on the wing ahead of Greenwood, as you would deliberately be playing an inferior option.
Good point

Denis79

If he is good enough he is old enough. Lingard and Pereira arent better than him when they start at RW. If he is the best option he should start. In 10 minutes he showed more than Lingard and Pereira combined.
Goid point considering our slim options.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not sure what me admitting it has to do with anything, Ole said himself he's replaced lukaku.... Me saying it makes truer? as I wasn't disputing it.

Pretty sure Rashford was the main striker when Ole came in. Andreas also played there before and Lukaku never started a game on RW for us and why would lukaku's replacement play as a rw, as he's a direct replacement for a striker as you and Ole said....oh me as well.
We don't play with a set CF that remains central. This should be obvious to you - even when we play Rashford and Martial one drifts central the other drifts wide. In pre-season when Greenwood would play he'd drift from wide right to pockets centrally and get into the 6 yard box just as often as the conventional striker would.

Worth also noting you mentioning how Pereira has played there before, it doesn't actually help your cause because he's been broadly shite every time he's deployed there. We know that option likely wouldn't work and he played it anyway. Pereira is rapidly becoming like Lingard right now, where it makes everyone scratch their heads when he's selected.

You're misinterpreting my post - I'm not making you admit anything. I'm highlighting that you know Greenwood is tipped by his own manager to be the man helping bridge the gap in Lukaku's goals, that he was tipped to play in "a lot of games" this season and was also pointed to in the pre-match presser with Martial missing. Then he didn't start. I don't think Ole is a "coward" for not starting him because hindsight is 20:20 but I'm not going to call others moronic for thinking it.

I do think it's moronic for any manager to ship a striker capable of netting 19-27 goals season after season and not actually replace him. I think it's also moronic to completely shed the midfield and have only 2 able players operating there, one of which who is best served further up. Other managers don't plan this way for a season.

AJ10

His age has nothing to do with it.

Nobody would have held it against Ole if he left Mason in the reserves, didn’t sell Lukaku/Sanchez and said simply because ‘Greenwood is 17’.

The fact is, he hasn’t done that, he has engineered a situation where Greenwood is the backup forward. Yet, he has again engineered a situation where he can try everything but play the 17 year old, including starting the rubbish Pereira on the right, where he has never started him previously, ahead of Greenwood, whom he was happy to start on the right in pre-season under no pressure.

Once the real stuff starts, he makes a call to decide Andreas is a forward option, and a forward option that is ahead of Greenwood suddenly. Which is cowardice.
As you said..... a backup striker, so why are you complaining about him not starting as a RW? Andreas did start there before, ahead of Greenwood....BTW Rashford is also a striker and he played as a striker today unless you think we should shift Rashford elsewhere and play a 17 year old (who is a backup striker).

Everyone agrees that Greenwood should be with the first team getting mins under his belt in prem and starting cup games, so a 17 year old can become accustomed to the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As you said..... a backup striker, so why are you complaining about him not starting as a RW? Andreas did start there before, ahead of Greenwood....BTW Rashford is also a striker and he played as a striker today unless you think we should shift Rashford elsewhere and play a 17 year old (who is a backup striker).

Everyone agrees that Greenwood should be with the first team getting mins under his belt in prem and starting cup games, so a 17 year old can become accustomed to the league.
A lot of posters reasonably expected Greenwood to be back up behind Rashford or Martial. So when Martial is injured, expecting Greenwood to play was very much reasonable. Especially when the player picked ahead of him was Pereira who has been consistently fluctuating between average and shite.

AJ10

We don't play with a set CF that remains central. This should be obvious to you - even when we play Rashford and Martial one drifts central the other drifts wide. In pre-season when Greenwood would play he'd drift from wide right to pockets centrally and get into the 6 yard box just as often as the conventional striker would.

Worth also noting you mentioning how Pereira has played there before, it doesn't actually help your cause because he's been broadly shite every time he's deployed there. We know that option likely wouldn't work and he played it anyway.

You're misinterpreting my post - I'm not making you admit anything. I'm highlighting that you know Greenwood is tipped by his own manager to be the man helping bridge the gap in Lukaku's goals, that he was tipped to play in "a lot of games" this season and was also pointed to in the pre-match presser with Martial missing. Then he didn't start. I don't think Ole is a "coward" for not starting him because hindsight is 20:20 but I'm not going to call others moronic for thinking it.

I do think it's moronic for any manager to ship a striker capable of netting 19-27 goals season after season and not actually replace him. I think it's also moronic to completely shed the midfield and have only 2 able players operating there, one of which who is best served further up. Other managers don't plan this way for a season.
Are you really suggesting we should start a 17 year old in prem from the go rather than being smart?.

It doesn't matter if he's been crap but the point still stands, hes played there before.

Not sure what I misinterpreted, lukaku was behind Rashford, now Martial and Rashford are the main strikers with greenwood as replacement to lukaku.

Not really moronic if that striker can't control a ball, can't pass, unfit, lazy, kills attacks etc but I agree with other things but its still moronic to think a 17 year should be starting games because he replaced lukaku who was not main striker under Ole.

AJ10

A lot of posters reasonably expected Greenwood to be back up behind Rashford or Martial. So when Martial is injured, expecting Greenwood to play was very much reasonable. Especially when the player picked ahead of him was Pereira who has been consistently fluctuating between average and shite.
Expecting a 17 year old to play from the go is reasonable in prem? :wenger:

A player who has played in that position before you mean, regardless of how he's played.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Greenwood has never really played centre forward for the first team, always on the right. Under Ole, Pereira has played central. All pre-season, he played as a 10. All pre-season, Greenwood played on the right. Most of pre-season, Rashford played on the left, as he has done since the season began.

The right/left thing isn’t even that relevant. The main point is, Pereira doesn’t play in the forward line. Since they have both been in the squad, Pereira has played in the middle trio while Mason has played in the forward trio. Except when the situation was forced, today. Ole has bottled it and not put his money where his considerable mouth is on this topic, as he has seemingly decided that Pereira is now ahead of Greenwood as a forward option, despite him not playing that position.

Greenwood can play all 3 forward positions. Pereira plays all 3 central ones. We had a player out in our forward line, however, Ole puts a midfielder in the forward line before playing his backup forward. If he has such a problem with Mason being 17, then keep senior forwards. When you start pulling players from other roles to play ahead of him, that doesn’t demonstrate the trust he bangs on about non stop.

AJ10

Greenwood has never really played centre forward for the first team, always on the right. Under Ole, Pereira has played central. All pre-season, he played as a 10. All pre-season, Greenwood played on the right. Most of pre-season, Rashford played on the left, as he has done since the season began.

The right/left thing isn’t even that relevant. The main point is, Pereira doesn’t play in the forward line. Since they have both been in the squad, Pereira has played in the middle trio while Mason has played in the forward trio. Except when the situation was forced, today. Ole has bottled it and not put his money where his considerable mouth is on this topic, as he has seemingly decided that Pereira is now ahead of Greenwood as a forward option, despite him not playing that position.

Greenwood can play all 3 forward positions. Pereira plays all 3 central ones. We had a player out in our forward line, however, Ole puts a midfielder in the forward line before playing his backup forward. If he has such a problem with Mason being 17, then keep senior forwards. When you start pulling players from other roles to play ahead of him, that doesn’t demonstrate the trust he bangs on about non stop.
You clearly haven't done your research if you think Andreas hasn't played there.

so he bottled it by not starting a 17 year old? :lol: I bet your fifa team is filled with 16 year olds starting every game, surprisingly in real life young players do feel the physicality of prem....I know its shocking.

Martial and Rashford are senior strikers (despite their own age) and Greenwood will gets mins under his belt then start games, which is the start thing to do.

Nothing wrong with wanting a promising youngster to play games but to call it cowardice to not playing him from the start is just moronic.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are you really suggesting we should start a 17 year old in prem from the go rather than being smart?.
The way today went it wasn't smart benching Greenwood. He came on and in 10 mins did more than Pereira did all game.

You keep pointing to his age. His age means feck all when Ole has tipped him to be a big player for the first team. We let go of our 70-80m striker and were comfortable with that because we have Greenwood to help. Him being 17 goes out the window, either play him when Martial is injured or accept he's too young to actually be involved in the Premiership this early (in which case Ole fecked up by letting Lukaku go). Don't do both.

It doesn't matter if he's been crap but the point still stands, hes played there before.
:lol: Of course it matters. Phil Jones has played right back before, does anyone think it's actually a smart move to have him as the secondary right back if Young and AWB get injured? No, you'd look at Laird or any other actual right back in the club.

Not sure what I misinterpreted, lukaku was behind Rashford, now Martial and Rashford are the main strikers with greenwood as replacement to lukaku.

Not really moronic if that striker can't control a ball, can't pass, unfit, lazy, kills attacks etc but I agree with other things but its still moronic to think a 17 year should be starting games because he replaced lukaku who was not main striker under Ole.
You think the bold bit is moronic? He pinned hopes on Greenwood, Martial is injured and Lukaku is gone. He started a central midfielder who is bang average in his favoured position, out wide to a position he hasn't really operated in for over a year ahead of playing Greenwood who he himself said will feature heavily this season.

Not starting games in general is OK but not starting today was certainly a surprise. Martial is out. Lukaku and Sanchez are gone. The only attackers that are natural front 3 players are Rashford and James and he still only played 13 minutes today.

Expecting a 17 year old to play from the go is reasonable in prem? :wenger:

A player who has played in that position before you mean, regardless of how he's played.
Of course it's not reasonable. It's not any more reasonable than walking into the season with 2 unproven strikers as our starters. But this is literally what Ole's plan is. He wants to put his entire faith on Greenwood/Rashford/Martial for goals this season. He's said it himself. It's either laughable or brilliant. Right now its the former.

Baneofthegame

You clearly haven't done your research if you think Andreas hasn't played there.

so he bottled it by not starting a 17 year old? :lol: I bet your fifa team is filled with 16 year olds starting every game, surprisingly in real life young players do feel the physicality of prem....I know its shocking.

Martial and Rashford are senior strikers (despite their own age) and Greenwood will gets mins under his belt then start games, which is the start thing to do.

Nothing wrong with wanting a promising youngster to play games but to call it cowardice to not playing him from the start is just moronic.
I think the point about Greenwood is Ole was harping on about him being in contention to start against Chelsea, then when he starts Lingard and it doesn’t work out he moves Pereira there, when it’s clear he can’t play there rather than bringing Greenwood in.

While I still think it may be a bit soon, we look hopeless breaking down a defence who pack everyone behind the ball and stay compact.

So bringing Greenwood on could of helped, but instead we get Lingard again who is a complete moron.

AJ10

The way today went it wasn't smart benching Greenwood. He came on and in 10 mins did more than Pereira did all game.

:lol: Of course it matters. Phil Jones has played right back before, does anyone think it's actually a smart move to have him as the secondary right back if Young and AWB get injured? No, you'd look at Laird or any other actual right back in the club.

You think the bold bit is moronic? He pinned hopes on Greenwood, Martial is injured and Lukaku is gone. He started a central midfielder who is bang average in his favoured position, out wide to a position he hasn't really operated in for over a year ahead of playing Greenwood who he himself said will feature heavily this season.

Not starting games in general is OK but not starting today was certainly a surprise. Martial is out. Lukaku and Sanchez are gone. The only attackers that are natural front 3 players are Rashford and James and he still only played 13 minutes today.

Of course it's not reasonable. It's not any more reasonable than walking into the season with 2 unproven strikers as our starters. But this is literally what Ole's plan is. He wants to put his entire faith on Greenwood/Rashford/Martial for goals this season. He's said it himself. It's either laughable or brilliant. Right now its the former.
Right so a 17 year old comes from bench vs a 17 year plays 90 mins...is the same thing?

So Andreas played there before? I am going to go with a yes.

Is the season over or has it only been few games?

Why would it be a surprise? Martial was replaced by Rashford, you know the other striker.

As you said its not reasonable, not sure why you're arguing about it then.

You're wasting your time even when you think we shouldn't be starting a 17 year from the go. :lol: This place.

Grande

I think you have misinterpreted a few things here. We have been playing 4-2-3-1, not 4-3-3. The 10’s role in 4-2-3-1 is much higher up the pitch, both attacking and particularily defending.

Pereira has been played in the pivot, in the hole and on the right in preseason, and has ended up in the 3-line as a 10 or a right sided forward. I think it’s fair to say Solskjær during preseason concluded Mourinho was wrong about him being fit to use as a 6 or in a pivot. He’s played as a right and left-sided forward to a decent effect in la liga, so I don’t find that surprising.

Greenwood, like Chong, Garner and Gomes, played more in preseason not because Solskjær finds them ahead of Pereira, Lingard, Mata per date, but because it was preseason. That’s the time to try out young players you maybe want to use as back-up come the season. I think at no point has Solskjær’s ‘mouth’ said Greenwood is ahead of Pereira as a right sided forward option. That’s your interpretation of things, and I think it’s safe to say it’s wrong.

Solskjær did say Greenwood was the closest of the young ones, and that he’d get plenty game time during the season. So far he’s figured in four out of four games, so I guess the ‘money’ in that regard is where the ‘mouth’ is.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

There’s nothing moronic about it.

Greenwood isn’t your regular 17 year old. Regular 17 year olds play in the youth team. He’s a 17 year old that has been labelled as a first team forward. Many times. Pereira is not a forward. I don’t need to research anything to see that.

Greenwood is a back up forward. This has been discussed a number of times by our manager. He has been asked repeatedly where his goals will come from without Lukaku and Sanchez. He has repeatedly mentioned his alternative options, which has been Greenwood, not Pereira.

And I don’t play Fifa. However, if I did, I would have more than 2 senior forwards in my squad if I didn’t want to resort to playing teenage ones.

You keep mentioning his age, how he may struggle with the physicality. It wasn’t mandatory to rely upon him. We had senior forwards we could have kept. Yet the manager repeatedly reassured the press and and the fans that he is not light in attack because Mason is ready and is an option. Okay, a senior forward is injured, prove it.

Greenwood hasn’t been in one academy squad all season. So stop this 17 year old bullshit. If you’re not ready to start him, then better off filling the squad with forward you ARE happy to start when one of yours gets injured.

Devil may care

Should have been on first instead of Lingard and definitely should have been on the instant their player got sent off, forced a good save out of the keepr, probably our best chance in the last ten minutes but he needs more minutes.

AJ10

I think the point about Greenwood is Ole was harping on about him being in contention to start against Chelsea, then when he starts Lingard and it doesn’t work out he moves Pereira there, when it’s clear he can’t play there rather than bringing Greenwood in.

While I still think it may be a bit soon, we look hopeless breaking down a defence who pack everyone behind the ball and stay compact.

So bringing Greenwood on could of helped, but instead we get Lingard again who is a complete moron.
I don't have a problem with a manager praising a young player, rather have that than Jose throwing them under the bus in pre season. I would have been very surprised if he started playing a 17 year from the go rather than easing him in, which IMO would have been moronic move from the manager and telling a youngster he's in contention isn't a bad thing. In contention not definitely starting.

I don't want to see lingard play either but people seem to forget Greenwood is 17 and getting him mins like these little cameos will help him when he actually starts games over the course of this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think you have misinterpreted a few things here. We have been playing 4-2-3-1, not 4-3-3. The 10’s role in 4-2-3-1 is much higher up the pitch, both attacking and particularily defending.

Pereira has been played in the pivot, in the hole and on the right in preseason, and has ended up in the 3-line as a 10 or a right sided forward. I think it’s fair to say Solskjær during preseason concluded Mourinho was wrong about him being fit to use as a 6 or in a pivot. He’s played as a right and left-sided forward to a decent effect in la liga, so I don’t find that surprising.

Greenwood, like Chong, Garner and Gomes, played more in preseason not because Solskjær finds them ahead of Pereira, Lingard, Mata per date, but because it was preseason. That’s the time to try out young players you maybe want to use as back-up come the season. I think at no point has Solskjær’s ‘mouth’ said Greenwood is ahead of Pereira as a right sided forward option. That’s your interpretation of things, and I think it’s safe to say it’s wrong.

Solskjær did say Greenwood was the closest of the young ones, and that he’d get plenty game time during the season. So far he’s figured in four out of four games, so I guess the ‘money’ in that regard is where the ‘mouth’ is.
He has said that Rashford, Mason and and Martial are his forwards. He obviously meant ‘and Pereira’.

And it’s been 4-3-3. Unless Rashford has been playing a midfield role all season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Right so a 17 year old comes from bench vs a 17 year plays 90 mins...is the same thing?

So Andreas played there before? I am going to go with a yes.
Him having played there has nothing to do with this discussion because he's shite in that role. I've said this a lot of times and you're ignoring it for some sort of weird reason.

Is the season over or has it only been few games?
Is what over the season?

Why would it be a surprise? Martial was replaced by Rashford, you know the other striker.
Are you broken? Rashford started the last game and operated LW/CF along with Martial versus Palace.

As you said its not reasonable, not sure why you're arguing about it then.
Because it's Ole's plan. Ole's plan involves Greenwood playing a massive role for us, and he doesn't find a spot for him when Martial is injured, playing behind a shite central midfielder out wide. That's pretty inconsistent.

You're wasting your time even when you think we shouldn't be starting a 17 year from the go. :lol: This place.
We shouldn't be starting a lot of players from the go. We shouldn't be starting Rashford from the go and I've been saying that for over a year. But here we are, and here's where we've fallen so hey ho. My point is, if the manager hypes Greenwood he should play him when theres a perfect opportunity, or not bang on about him in pressers.

AJ10

There’s nothing moronic about it.

Greenwood isn’t your regular 17 year old. Regular 17 year olds play in the youth team. He’s a 17 year old that has been labelled as a first team forward. Many times. Pereira is not a forward. I don’t need to research anything to see that.

Greenwood is a back up forward. This has been discussed a number of times by our manager. He has been asked repeatedly where his goals will come from without Lukaku and Sanchez. He has repeatedly mentioned his alternative options, which has been Greenwood, not Pereira.

And I don’t play Fifa. However, if I did, I would have more than 2 senior forwards in my squad if I didn’t want to resort to playing teenage ones.

You keep mentioning his age, how he may struggle with the physicality. It wasn’t mandatory to rely upon him. We had senior forwards we could have kept. Yet the manager repeatedly reassured the press and and the fans that he is not light in attack because Mason is ready and is an option. Okay, a senior forward is injured, prove it.

Greenwood hasn’t been in one academy squad all season. So stop this 17 year old bullshit. If you’re not ready to start him, then better off filling the squad with forward you ARE happy to start when one of yours gets injured.
Yes and thats why he's involved in the first team, a regular 17 year old wouldn't even get 10 mins and Greenwood will get these mins then start cup games.

Not sure why you're confusing a striker to a RW, Lukaku never played there. Martial and Rashford aren't teens.

Is an option? :lol:. If a Girl tells you, I'll think about it if you and her are the only people left on this planet..... would you take that as a definite yes?

Martial is injured..... the other striker took his place, I know we have another one in Rashford not just Greenwood.

So if he hasn't been in the academy this season then he should be starting games from the go? :wenger:

Baneofthegame

I don't have a problem with a manager praising a young player, rather have that than Jose throwing them under the bus in pre season. I would have been very surprised if he started playing a 17 year from the go rather than easing him in, which IMO would have been moronic move from the manager and telling a youngster he's in contention isn't a bad thing. In contention not definitely starting.

I don't want to see lingard play either but people seem to forget Greenwood is 17 and getting him mins like these little cameos will help him when he actually starts games over the course of this season.
You can still praise a youth player without implying he will be starting games.

This is my last post of the day, so I won’t be able to reply but Oles actions basically ensure he has a big role to play by selling Lukaku and Sanchez, our forward depth is:

Rashford/Martial/James/Greenwood/Lingard(ugh)

That’s it, now to me it’s frustrating playing Pereira RW when we have Mason on the bench, who has been playing there pre season. Especially as the alternatives are Lingard or playing Pereira out of position, it’s just one game where we could of gauged how ready he is, if it’s not working or he can’t handle the full ninety bring on Lingard to run for the last 25-30 minutes.

But that is our reality, we are relying on a new player to the premiership (James) and our youth to provide a lot of our attacking intent which unfortunately is a big ask.

I also don’t know why Ole won’t play Pogba in the 10 further up the pitch either, nor will he integrate Gomes or Fred, but that’s another whole topic.

Anyway I’ve rambled slightly I’m sure, it’s only 4 games but we have already dropped 7 point in my opinion, obviously it’s not dire, but these games hurt more against teams who we should be beating, when we come up against City/Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal we will get punished if we continue in the same way.

AJ10

Him having played there has nothing to do with this discussion because he's shite in that role. I've said this a lot of times and you're ignoring it for some sort of weird reason.

Is what over the season?

Are you broken? Rashford started the last game and operated LW/CF along with Martial versus Palace.

Because it's Ole's plan. Ole's plan involves Greenwood playing a massive role for us, and he doesn't find a spot for him when Martial is injured, playing behind a shite central midfielder out wide. That's pretty inconsistent.

We shouldn't be starting a lot of players from the go. We shouldn't be starting Rashford from the go and I've been saying that for over a year. But here we are, and here's where we've fallen so hey ho. My point is, if the manager hypes Greenwood he should play him when theres a perfect opportunity, or not bang on about him in pressers.
No point reading your post as you've agreed with me that its not reasonable to play a 17 year from the go when we have another striker (Rashford as Martial is injured) there....

Not sure why you're arguing against your own opinion. :lol:

Too much time on your hands?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No point reading your post as you've agreed with me that its not reasonable to play a 17 year from the go when we have another striker (Rashford as Martial is injured) there....

Not sure why you're arguing against your own opinion. :lol:

Too much time on your hands?
You haven't been able to follow the debate at all, have you?

Let's start from the original post, where you called another poster "moronic" for suggesting it's cowardly to not play Greenwood. Whether I think Greenwood should play or not is not material to this debate - I'm not the one singing Greenwood's praises suggesting it's right to replace Lukaku with him. Ole however has. He's come out and tagged Greenwood as the guy who will make a big impact this season, and then went on not to actually play him in a game he would have been expected to feature in. I would understand posters calling Ole out on that. There's nothing moronic about it.

Either ease him in and don't publicly name drop him as the guy to make a difference to our team. Or, praise him consistently in press conference, name drop him in the pre-match presser as someone who can step up in Martial's absence, and then actually give him proper game time by starting him in the front 3 ahead of a central midfielder out of his natural position.

He did neither, which from one angle can be seen as cowardly.

AJ10

You can still praise a youth player without implying he will be starting games.

This is my last post of the day, so I won’t be able to reply but Oles actions basically ensure he has a big role to play by selling Lukaku and Sanchez, our forward depth is:

Rashford/Martial/James/Greenwood/Lingard(ugh)

That’s it, now to me it’s frustrating playing Pereira RW when we have Mason on the bench, who has been playing there pre season. Especially as the alternatives are Lingard or playing Pereira out of position, it’s just one game where we could of gauged how ready he is, if it’s not working or he can’t handle the full ninety bring on Lingard to run for the last 25-30 minutes.

But that is our reality, we are relying on a new player to the premiership (James) and our youth to provide a lot of our attacking intent which unfortunately is a big ask.

I also don’t know why Ole won’t play Pogba in the 10 further up the pitch either, nor will he integrate Gomes or Fred, but that’s another whole topic.

Anyway I’ve rambled slightly I’m sure, it’s only 4 games but we have already dropped 7 point in my opinion, obviously it’s not dire, but these games hurt more against teams who we should be beating, when we come up against City/Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal we will get punished if we continue in the same way.
As I said in other posts nothing wrong with it as he didn't say he'll start then locked him in the dressing room.

Love your dislike for Lingard :lol:

I'd love for us to play him but at the same time he's 17 years old and i am sure he'll get cup games then potentially some prem games. So I don't have a problem with him getting these mins, of course he could have come in when lingard did.

Pogba should be further up with 2 mids behind him, I guess Ole has the same mental block that Jose had when playing pogba (Only have to look at Juve ffs).

Its going to be a long season, hopefully more ups than downs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes and thats why he's involved in the first team, a regular 17 year old wouldn't even get 10 mins and Greenwood will get these mins then start cup games.

Not sure why you're confusing a striker to a RW, Lukaku never played there. Martial and Rashford aren't teens.

Is an option? :lol:. If a Girl tells you, I'll think about it if you and her are the only people left on this planet..... would you take that as a definite yes?

Martial is injured..... the other striker took his place, I know we have another one in Rashford not just Greenwood.

So if he hasn't been in the academy this season then he should be starting games from the go? :wenger:
If he hasn’t been in the academy all season you should perhaps stop referencing his age. If he were a normal 17 year old, he’d have played academy football, and maybe got on the bench here and there. He’s a first team player exclusively, which is the way Ole made it, not me.

Lukaku didn’t play RW, but Sanchez did. Rashford should not be a replacement when he’s already in the fecking team himself, doing his own role.

And your girl analogy is ridiculous. And in any case, if she told me that, and then all the other guys died, I’d expect a chance and remind her of what she said. Naturally, I’d be pissed if she then used a technicality by getting someone that was not even a guy to do the job instead.

It’s not complicated. Greenwood is far closer to the type of player Martial is than Andreas Pereira. Martial was out, so Ole has to go in his tool box and look for a substitute option. He instead picked a totally different type of tool, instead of using the similar one he has, which is logic. If Ole is not willing to use Greenwood ahead of Pereira, then he simply doesn’t have enough options. Pereira is no substitute for Martial, Lukaku or Sanchez. Greenwood is. The question wasn’t on replacing Lingard today. It was Martial. He chose to move Rashford from his position, meaning two players had to be replaced in his lineup, which is already showing a lack of balls and a deliberate effort to avoid the 17 year old. Which in itself is fine, but then you clearly need more senior forwards. Andreas Pereira is not amongst these. He’s a midfielder, and a rubbish one at that, which makes the decision all the more ridiculous and cowardly, to the point where you would rather play even him than just play the actual forward because he’s young.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Needs to show conviction. When Lingard was through on the centre and took on a shot, Greenwood was in fecking acres of space on the right. He could've easily been rolled in but Greenwood was lazily jogging with a token arm out gesture.

He should've been screaming and pointing for the ball. Make it hard to be ignored.

AJ10

You haven't been able to follow the debate at all, have you?

Let's start from the original post, where you called another poster "moronic" for suggesting it's cowardly to not play Greenwood. Whether I think Greenwood should play or not is not material to this debate - I'm not the one singing Greenwood's praises suggesting it's right to replace Lukaku with him. Ole however has. He's come out and tagged Greenwood as the guy who will make a big impact this season, and then went on not to actually play him in a game he would have been expected to feature in. I would understand posters calling Ole out on that. There's nothing moronic about it.

Either ease him in and don't publicly name drop him as the guy to make a difference to our team. Or, praise him consistently in press conference, name drop him in the pre-match presser as someone who can step up in Martial's absence, and then actually give him proper game time by starting him in the front 3 ahead of a central midfielder out of his natural position.

He did neither, which from one angle can be seen as cowardly.
Isn't it strange to argue against your own view? When you said its not reasonable to play him.....

Carry on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Isn't it strange to argue against your own view? When you said its not reasonable to play him.....

Carry on.
My view is that a poster is not moronic for suggesting the manager is cowardly. Because this manager massively hyped up certain players and then proceeded not to play him.

My opinion on the player himself is completely irrelevant to the discussion. If Greenwood is as good as Ole says he is, I think he should have started today. And if faced with an option of Greenwood versus Pereira on the right, Greenwood should have started.

MonkeysMagic

Greenwood has more of a strikers instinct then Rashford, that much I have been able to deduce. Granted he doesn't have the physique to be able to play that role yet but I have no doubt Greenwood will be more prolific then Rashford at Utd. Neither Martial nor Rashford have that instinct to operate as number 9 so we will just have to soldier on this season hoping they conjure something extraordinary to bail us out.

AJ10

If he hasn’t been in the academy all season you should perhaps stop referencing his age. If he were a normal 17 year old, he’d have played academy football, and maybe got on the bench here and there. He’s a first team player exclusively, which is the way Ole made it, not me.

Lukaku didn’t play RW, but Sanchez did. Rashford should not be a replacement when he’s already in the fecking team himself, doing his own role.

And your girl analogy is ridiculous. And in any case, if she told me that, and then all the other guys died, I’d expect a chance and remind her of what she said. Naturally, I’d be pissed if she then used a technicality by getting someone that was not even a guy to do the job instead.

It’s not complicated. Greenwood is far closer to the type of player Martial is than Andreas Pereira. Martial was out, so Ole has to go in his tool box and look for a substitute option. He instead picked a totally different type of tool, instead of using the similar one he has, which is logic. If Ole is not willing to use Greenwood ahead of Pereira, then he simply doesn’t have enough options. Pereira is no substitute for Martial, Lukaku or Sanchez. Greenwood is. The question wasn’t on replacing Lingard today. It was Martial. He chose to move Rashford from his position, meaning two players had to be replaced in his lineup, which is already showing a lack of balls and a deliberate effort to avoid the 17 year old. Which in itself is fine, but then you clearly need more senior forwards. Andreas Pereira is not amongst these. He’s a midfielder, and a rubbish one at that, which makes the decision all the more ridiculous and cowardly, to the point where you would rather play even him than just play the actual forward because he’s young.
Him being or not being in the academy doesn't change his age, as I said before no normal academy player would get these mins but he's still a 17 year and nothing changes that.

My analogy is as strange as you thinking its cowardice to not play a 17 year old rather than him getting mins under his belt.

You said he's a Lukaku replacement (I agree) so not sure why you're bringing a Andres into this. Martial got injured so Rashford played, who is another striker we have. Your whole point was that since Martial got injured he should be played since he didn't Ole is a coward, while you forgot about our other striker.

Regardless of position, he's 17 and expecting a 17 year to start from the go isn't reasonable as another poster would Definitely agree with me. :wenger:

But anyways this is boring now, I don't really see the point of arguing with someone who thinks its cowardly to not play a 17 year old.....This place.:rolleyes:

CR7000

Seen enough of failed academic products ... Rashford, Lingard, Pereira

Just bring on Greenwood, Gomes and Chong

Canagel

Needs to show conviction. When Lingard was through on the centre and took on a shot, Greenwood was in fecking acres of space on the right. He could've easily been rolled in but Greenwood was lazily jogging with a token arm out gesture.

He should've been screaming and pointing for the ball. Make it hard to be ignored.
No, Lingard fecked up and should have passed.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Him being or not being in the academy doesn't change his age, as I said before no normal academy player would get these mins but he's still a 17 year and nothing changes that.

My analogy is as strange as you thinking its cowardice to not play a 17 year old rather than him getting mins under his belt.

You said he's a Lukaku replacement (I agree) so not sure why you're bringing a Andres into this. Martial got injured so Rashford played, who is another striker we have. Your whole point was that since Martial got injured he should be played since he didn't Ole is a coward, while you forgot about our other striker.

Regardless of position, he's 17 and expecting a 17 year to start from the go isn't reasonable as another poster would Definitely agree with me. :wenger:

But anyways this is boring now, I don't really see the point of arguing with someone who thinks its cowardly to not play a 17 year old.....This place.:rolleyes:
I’m tempted to take the warning for being insulting here, but I’ll refrain.

You have put forward a number of poorly made points, trying to sound clever, while making hollow arguments and analogies.

Looking at our forward options, they are thin. And Andreas Pereira isn’t amongst them. When Martial has been fit, he has started IN ATTACK. He has been in that attack ALONGSIDE Rashford and James. Therefore, if all 3 are first choice attackers when fit, Rashford and James cannot be the substitute attackers, when they are already in the attack anyway! Therefore we have to bring one in. Today Ole chose Pereira, who is a midfielder. I couldn’t care less if Greenwood is 17, not my fault he’s the next attacker there. Perhaps we should have a 25 year old forward instead, but we don’t. If the next one is 17, you play the next one, or you bottle it and play a midfielder. You may not want to play the 17 year old, but if that’s the case, you should have gotten an older forward. And be confident enough to list Andreas Pereira as your next forward option when asked in press conferences.

lsd

The Oracle
People say he is to young like Gomes but I just can't help thinking if they had played more minutes this season we would have more points .

If you are good enough you are old enough

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

What?! Worst take ever :lol:

He pulled out to gave himself space and Lingard completely ignored him for a long range shot - ridiculous decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.