Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We could be looking at a situation where Mason is expected to play 3 in a week. If Rashford and Martial can’t play, we have little choice, but it would be a huge ask.

Alemar

We could be looking at a situation where Mason is expected to play 3 in a week. If Rashford and Martial can’t play, we have little choice, but it would be a huge ask.
What is the problem with him to play many games? Even if he has an off game, so what? Our other options are simply dire

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What is the problem with him to play many games? Even if he has an off game, so what? Our other options are simply dire
I know you are an advocate for even our talented 16 year old academy kids to be starting all our league games, but thinking of the players themselves, it’s not best for them just yet. The burden to carry the team every game is unfair for a start, then the physical burden is also an issue playing against much older men every few days at high intensity.

Alemar

The burden to carry the team every game is unfair for a start, then the physical burden is also an issue playing against much older men every few days at high intensity.
If it’s about him being physically unfit to play several games in a row, then I would fully agree to rest the guy (no one should play if physically unfit).

But if physically he is good to go, I don’t see any harm: yes he is young, but team selection should be handled on merit, and if other options are worse performance wise, then they should be kept on the bench. Such approach, among other things, would also motivate other youngsters to try even better in training and matches they are given.

Irwin99

He's a really impressive talent but despite the goals he still looks quite raw even against lower teams like Astana and Rochdale. That's not a criticism of him, he's 17 for god's sake but to expect him to go against premier league defences and to lead the line is expecting a lot. Even if the club had bought a cheap experienced striker in this summer, Greenwood would still have gotten a lot of games this season and it wouldn't feel so pressured.

Also, unlike Ronaldo, Rooney, Owen or Rashford at that age, his game doesn't seem to have that explosive pace and aggression either. He seems to be a finisher that needs a good team to create chances. I worry he might get a bit lost with this team around him against better opponents.

....Now watch as he probably scores 2 against Arsenal tomorrow :lol:

Stacks

He's a really impressive talent but despite the goals he still looks quite raw even against lower teams like Astana and Rochdale. That's not a criticism of him, he's 17 for god's sake but to expect him to go against premier league defences and to lead the line is expecting a lot. Even if the club had bought a cheap experienced striker in this summer, Greenwood would still have gotten a lot of games this season and it wouldn't feel so pressured.

Also, unlike Ronaldo, Rooney, Owen or Rashford at that age, his game doesn't seem to have that explosive pace and aggression either. He seems to be a finisher that needs a good team to create chances. I worry he might get a bit lost with this team around him against better opponents.

Everything you have said is logical however we lack another striker so he probably has to play. He should get games CF against that level opposition but in the EPL every week? Would be very tough on him

Alemar

That's not a criticism of him, he's 17 for god's sake but to expect him to go against premier league defences and to lead the line is expecting a lot.
It’s not about him “doing well against premier league defenses”, it’s about him being better than other options (aka Lingard or Mata upfront).

Both Martial and Rashford are unavailable - in this case Greenwood must play 100% of the matches (for which he is fully physically fit). Unless, of course, someone like Ramazani may deputise for Greenwood against low level opposition :)

If Martial or Rashford may play - sure Mason may be given a rest, but they are injured

edgar allan

Did you see his ball through that Pogba somehow managed to head over during the week?
That would have been an assist and a goal in one game.....something Lingard would take for a full seasons work.

Irwin99

Did you see his ball through that Pogba somehow managed to head over during the week?
That would have been an assist and a goal in one game.....something Lingard would take for a full seasons work.
Yes that was a great pass and Pogba should have scored. I thought Greenwood's overall play was good. As I said, I think it's different with players like Rooney or Owen at that age as they just have a different type of quality which panics defenders whereas I think Mason is just a different type of player, not reliant on speed or brute aggression (Rooney) and I think it might be hard for him to get into PL games where we struggle to break teams down due to our lack of creativity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If the club in their infinite wisdom decided that a 17 year old was enough backup to Rashy and Martial, then when both of them are out, he MUST play.
Simple as that.

Not playing him makes a massive statement that he's not ready, and thus it was a ludicrous decision to have him as the only backup.

If we start with Lingard as a "false nine", it'll be an absolute joke.
Quite a bit due to the fact we probably actually need him to fill the hole on the right, or it'd be the dreadful option of Mata in there.

haram

If the club in their infinite wisdom decided that a 17 year old was enough backup to Rashy and Martial, then when both of them are out, he MUST play.
Simple as that.

Not playing him makes a massive statement that he's not ready, and thus it was a ludicrous decision to have him as the only backup.

Quite a bit due to the fact we probably actually need him to fill the hole on the right, or it'd be the dreadful option of Mata in there.
What is wrong with playing Lingard as the false 9 and Greenwood and James either side of him? Probably works better than playing Lingard on the right.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Simple as that.

He MUST play which is fair enough, but for how long, with games coming thick and fast? 3 in a week may be a lot physically and mentally.

FerociousCorgis

What is wrong with playing Lingard as the false 9 and Greenwood and James either side of him? Probably works better than playing Lingard on the right.
whats wrong with playing a false 9 who hasn't scored or assisted in like a year or whatever the damn stat is? Yeah i can't think of a single thing that is wrong with that

haram

whats wrong with playing a false 9 who hasn't scored or assisted in like a year or whatever the damn stat is? Yeah i can't think of a single thing that is wrong with that
Considering our options? Yes that's one of the best options we have at the moment. Lingard played as the false 9 against Spurs last season and we won that game with Rashford playing as the RF. You replace Rashford with Greenwood.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Considering our options? Yes that's one of the best options we have at the moment. Lingard played as the false 9 against Spurs last season and we won that game with Rashford playing as the RF. You replace Rashford with Greenwood.
Greenwood doesn't look to have a lot of speed like Rashford. That's one big reason why not.

haram

Greenwood doesn't look to have a lot of speed like Rashford. That's one big reason why not.
He has the capabilities of playing as a RF. Do you disagree? It’s not about pace it’s positioning and and Greenwood isn’t slow either.

FerociousCorgis

we were happy to let lukaku go because of greenwood. So if our other 2 forward options are out you have to start him. Simple as that.

FerociousCorgis

Where did I say Greenwood shouldn’t start?
honestly didnt read the full post of yours haha. For me you dont play lingard as the lynchpin of your attack regardless. Might as well just sit back with all 10 in front of DDG then

haram

honestly didnt read the full post of yours haha. For me you dont play lingard as the lynchpin of your attack regardless. Might as well just sit back with all 10 in front of DDG then
Doesn't necessarily make him the lynchpin. It's a way to get Greenwood beyond him without a real number 9 available.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has the capabilities of playing as a RF. Do you disagree? It’s not about pace it’s positioning and and Greenwood isn’t slow either.
I've not seen much of him, but I don't see him on the right in the slightest.
However, happy to be proven wrong!

I have little faith in us developing any young lads to their potential to be honest.

Red00012

Well Lingard has played that position for us before and we won the game. Lingard is also a lot more dynamic than Mata going both ways.
Lingard is a no wherever he plays in my opinion. I can’t stand the sight of him on the field.

Alemar

What is wrong? Lingard. This person should never play in attack for a club like Man Utd, that’s what is wrong. There is likely no worse attacker in world football at above 100k per week wage.

If it’s a must to play Lingard, it should be in reserves ONLY.

haram

What is wrong? Lingard. This person should never play in attack for a club like Man Utd, that’s what is wrong. There is likely no worse attacker in world football at above 100k per week wage.
Like I said he has played there before and we won. If people are looking for ways to set up against Arsenal without Martial and Rashford this is one of our better options.

OleGunnar20

I can't decide who I dislike seeing on the pitch more, Lingard or Mata. Either way it's all a bit much of muchness really isn't it?

Hope Mason starts against Arsenal. Best chance we have at grabbing a result I'd say.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

If it’s a must to play Lingard, it should be in reserves ONLY.
To be fair, as rubbish as he is - he scored in two games against Arsenal last season and if there’s any team he’s capable of performing against them it’s them!

Anyway, @haram is right, given the circumstances, he should absolutely play.

In Rainbows

Doesn't necessarily make him the lynchpin. It's a way to get Greenwood beyond him without a real number 9 available.
Ehh, I would rather just play him as a 9. The whole point of playing Greenwood on the right is due to prioritizing getting the most of Lingard because you think he can't operate on the right. I would rather prioritize the 9 spot and in that case it means playing Greenwood over Lingard. Anything Lingard does there will be replicated by Greenwood and sets up Greenwood to utilize his finishing more so than him being a right sided forward. He won't get as many chances on the right. And that could ultimately be the difference in a game.

haram

Ehh, I would rather just play him as a 9. The whole point of playing Greenwood on the right is due to prioritizing getting the most of Lingard because you think he can't operate on the right. I would rather prioritize the 9 spot and in that case it means playing Greenwood over Lingard. Anything Lingard does there will be replicated by Greenwood and sets up Greenwood to utilize his finishing more so than him being a right sided forward. He won't get as many chances on the right. And that could ultimately be the difference in a game.
Greenwood could easily get swallowed up being the sole number 9. It's easier to feed the forward when he is working in the channels.

If we play without an AM or Pogba, Greenwood wont even get a touch of the ball, and when he does he'll have the Arsenal CB's breathing down his neck.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Playing on right doesnt mean he won't get chances, his movement is fantastic so he will get chances. As a 9, it might be too much against the teams like Arsenal who have experienced CBs and won't allow him to settle at all. Good chance we will have very less possession, so Greenwood won't touch the ball much and as a 9, he will always end up with 2 or 3 vs 1.

I agree with the general sentiment, we said Greenwood is our backup 9, so when 9 is not available Greenwood should play. But for this game, I think it's better to play him as RF without asking him to track back.

Anyways I think Martial will be fit for this game, if that's the case hopefully Greenwood starts this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.