5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFreshKing

Best prospect since Rooney? Holy shit, this is why our youth fails so spectacularly - we hype them up way, way, way beyond their capabilities and actual talent and when they inevitably don't become Rooney v2 we say they're shit, garbage, this and that - see Rashford & Lingard.

I am sure he will become good but let's remember that the absolute best talents like Rooney were extremely good and had that killer instict even as 16 year olds while Greenwood looks like a sheep in comparison - very weak physically, makes no impact on the game whatsoever, looks afraid to take on his man and his touch is much worse than what I'd imagined after all the RvP comparisons.

Look at Saka who played against us this Monday, Martinelli today for Arsenal or Foden and the Chelsea boys to see well managed, well coached youth prospects that are outperforming Mason by wide margins right now and calm down with this exaggerated praise which will cost him, and us, badly.

He was sadly beyond poor (so was Gomes, the other Messiah figure this forum has created) and his touch, finishing and impact was not even Macheda levels. I hope these performances don't have too large of an impact on his long term confidence and progress as a footballer because that would be very sad.

Should be loaned out or play mainly in the Carabao cup, because right now, whatever you guys might wish is true, is his level.
That's just plain weird. No one said he was a messiah or that he should play in the same way as Rooney only I, emphasis on I see him as the best English talent since Rooney. You are quite entitled to your own bizarre tinfoil hat theory but I would say my opinion has no sway on how Greenwood will develop. I just see him as a top top young talent, that is all.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Too much pressure on the kid. He's suddenly gone from U-23 level to our main striker behind Rashford. He shouldn't really be starting games on his own and needs blooding in.

Our lack of a forward purchase is going to bite us on the arse.
Its irresponsible that he has been put in this position. Putting too much pressure on youngster can break them. Also the statements by Ole hasnt helped at all.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Players to step at his age are extremely rare, so no worries. He is still very raw and needs a solid base to develop, and we are not offering him that yet.

I still think he has the technical and physical abilities to become a very good player, but at the moment he just lacks experience and at our current state I'm not sure if we are doing more harm than good by placing him into a competitive match with our lack of squad chemistry and organization.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's nowhere near as good as people on here and youtube (Howson) have hyped him up to be. Be's no more clinical than Martial and Rashford, if not less. He's young and might improve but the boasting he'd bang them in for us has been proven false.
Anyone who thought a 17/18 year old would bang them in, in this squad is out of their mind. He has a bright future as long as we don't feck him up.

SATA

Maybe too much fun with his girlfriend. He hasn’t impressed me much since coming into the first team. He’s been hyped up too much by the caf posters so maybe I expected more from him than he’s capable of at present

jb8521

Nice to see the caf sticking to it's usual level of rationality because a lad who only turned 18 a couple of days ago had a quiet game in a non functioning team in a European away game. The lad has scored more goals from open play than anyone else apart from James & Martial despite only playing 320 minutes while playing in a few different roles & has created 3/4 good chances which his teammates have squandered. He's also managed to create chances for himself in most games which our other attackers seem generally incapable of & has a higher pass success rate than most of our other players so of course the reaction on here is that he's poor on the ball, he's overhyped or should be loaned out.

zenith

His position was constantly chopped and changed throughout the game, from LW to CF. How is he expected to find his bearings as a central striker with the manager going full tinker bells on him.

I believe he's an amazing finisher but needs to be blooded in slowly and preferably under the guidance of a seasoned pro and in a consistent position.

This was not a game to judge him by.

DoomSlayer

Seemed like he wasn't concentrated but maybe the surface played a big part in him not being able to hold on the ball. Fans who can't wait to criticise him are absolutely mad, Greenwood will be an incredible player in the future.

Stacks

Who was the last academy product that gave us like solid 5 years of play?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they play 1 fixture every month? It's just a bad management.
Who was it?
I think we have to go back to the 90s.

Top teams spend millions on youth academies and I read an article somewhere they could just shut them down and save money that the results would be better.
John Oshea and Fletch. Both averaged over 30 apps each year for more than 5

Best prospect since Rooney? Holy shit, this is why our youth fails so spectacularly - we hype them up way, way, way beyond their capabilities and actual talent and when they inevitably don't become Rooney v2 we say they're shit, garbage, this and that - see Rashford & Lingard.

I am sure he will become good but let's remember that the absolute best talents like Rooney were extremely good and had that killer instict even as 16 year olds while Greenwood looks like a sheep in comparison - very weak physically, makes no impact on the game whatsoever, looks afraid to take on his man and his touch is much worse than what I'd imagined after all the RvP comparisons.

Look at Saka who played against us this Monday, Martinelli today for Arsenal or Foden and the Chelsea boys to see well managed, well coached youth prospects that are outperforming Mason by wide margins right now and calm down with this exaggerated praise which will cost him, and us, badly.

He was sadly beyond poor (so was Gomes, the other Messiah figure this forum has created) and his touch, finishing and impact was not even Macheda levels. I hope these performances don't have too large of an impact on his long term confidence and progress as a footballer because that would be very sad.

Should be loaned out or play mainly in the Carabao cup, because right now, whatever you guys might wish is true, is his level.
the bolded bit all fans are guilty of. The best talents since Rooney are Pogba Rossi and Ravel not question. Mason could easily become a Keane or Wilson.

That's just plain weird. No one said he was a messiah or that he should play in the same way as Rooney only I, emphasis on I see him as the best English talent since Rooney. You are quite entitled to your own bizarre tinfoil hat theory but I would say my opinion has no sway on how Greenwood will develop. I just see him as a top top young talent, that is all.
based off what? he not even a regular at England Youth and doesn't have an amazing record. take the rose glasses off.

RooneyLegend

Nice to see the caf sticking to it's usual level of rationality because a lad who only turned 18 a couple of days ago had a quiet game in a non functioning team in a European away game. The lad has scored more goals from open play than anyone else apart from James & Martial despite only playing 320 minutes while playing in a few different roles & has created 3/4 good chances which his teammates have squandered. He's also managed to create chances for himself in most games which our other attackers seem generally incapable of & has a higher pass success rate than most of our other players so of course the reaction on here is that he's poor on the ball, he's overhyped or should be loaned out.
There is nothing wrong with a loan especially for youngsters who need to develop physically.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He’s a low energy player at the moment .. reminds me of when Januzaj played in the first team, flashes of brilliance but physically so off the pace and lacked the dynamism to be at the races all game and keep opponents on the back foot.

Not saying this is a permanent problem as Greenwood when he gets going can be quick but he’s going to be a player whom it might take 2-3 years before his physical side gets to a level where he can be relied upon - he’s not a natural athlete like a young Ronaldo or Rooney who were live wires as young players.

That is why I don’t see him as a certainty because it’s not easy to guarantee that he will become physically premier league level. If only we could combine him and Rashford.

In an ideal world plays up front for a smaller side and learns his craft before returning after a loan spell.

Last edited:

Bwuk

James through the middle and Greenwood to the right made no sense.

Irrational.

Its irresponsible that he has been put in this position. Putting too much pressure on youngster can break them. Also the statements by Ole hasnt helped at all.
Absolutely. His doubters have started already about how he isn't as good as he's made out to be.

It's pathetic. He should be playing without any kind of pressure or responsibility at this age and enjoying a few cameo appearances here and there.

I hope he's loaned out in January, away from the limelight and toxicity brewing at this club and allowed to develop in a more nurturing, pressure-free environment. Meanwhile, we should buy/ loan a couple of experienced heads up front as a short term solution as clearly Rashford and Martial can't be relied upon to maintain their form and stay free of injuries.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Maybe too much fun with his girlfriend. He hasn’t impressed me much since coming into the first team. He’s been hyped up too much by the caf posters so maybe I expected more from him than he’s capable of at present
Tbf, he's coming into and absolute shit show of a team under a manager who doesn't have any coherent way of playing, and then playing him out of position. This is not the sort of environment a young kid like him is going to thrive in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There is nothing wrong with a loan especially for youngsters who need to develop physically.
There is when we’re a team desperate for goals and he’s one of the few actually scoring them.

jb8521

There's nothing right about a loan for a player who is getting game time & contributing to the first team while still eligible for under 18s football especially in an area where we are so short at the moment

jb8521

he not even a regular at England Youth and doesn't have an amazing record. take the rose glasses off.
He's a starter for England any time he's available, the reason he hasn't played a huge amount for them at youth level is because we've often pulled him out of the squads & he is now playing for the u21s where he's almost 4 years younger than some of the other players. He might not have an amazing record if you're looking purely at goalscoring stats but he normally hasn't played as a striker for England but has contributed to a lot of the goals they do score & is often the best player on the pitch for them.

Classical Mechanic

based off what? he not even a regular at England Youth and doesn't have an amazing record. take the rose glasses off.
If you look on England forums most posters rate him in the very bracket of talent across the age groups. It's true he's never really been a solid regular for England but that isn't because he isn't rated. He was apparently prevented from going to the u17 Euros by his school. It was a big blow to that England side. I think we'd have won it with him in the side. He hasn't really been eligible for any other tournaments since that.

Thought was very good in this break for England 17s

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
After every match, I have to repeat this - 18 year old kid. Not ready yet.

Bestietom

It's not the kids, it's the older ones who ignore them when they are in a good position and calling for the ball, only for Mata and Matic passing it safely across or backwards. They are afraid to try a long pass.

Last edited:

Gordon S

All players bar possibly Williams and de Gea were absolutely abysmal yesterday. It means the entire team is in terrible form at the moment and tbh, i don’t think any of our players are used to play on this kind of astroturf which can be a factor. Saying Gomes and Greenwood are mediocre overhyped talents because of this game is crazy.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You’ve got absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

DFreshKing

He's a starter for England any time he's available, the reason he hasn't played a huge amount for them at youth level is because we've often pulled him out of the squads & he is now playing for the u21s where he's almost 4 years younger than some of the other players. He might not have an amazing record if you're looking purely at goalscoring stats but he normally hasn't played as a striker for England but has contributed to a lot of the goals they do score & is often the best player on the pitch for them.
He obviously hasn't watched him and Just wants a moan because we are in poor form. I'd say he's Clueless but we can all have our own opinion. It will be funny to quote the naysayers soon enough.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Very early days but Januzaj looked more of a first team player when he broke through (a few months older).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wouldn’t read too much into any of the kids performances with the way the club is at the moment.

Stacks

He obviously hasn't watched him and Just wants a moan because we are in poor form. I'd say he's Clueless but we can all have our own opinion. It will be funny to quote the naysayers soon enough.
I am not a naysayer. I just don't see the Rooney level talent claimed. I grew up in the days when Rossi was coming through as he is close to my age. That's the benchmark for me. Like I said pre season guys like Mason should be on loan. Will Keane was hyped and didn't make it. Januzaj didn't make it. There is a small chance of these lads breaking through. It's just a reality. How many strikers break through in the Prem and hold down a 1st team place at the club the broke into? They need to be loaned out to PROVE they are 1st team players initially. Then once they prove that we ease them into man utd. I saw it work wonders with Jemaine Defoe who I 1st saw play in the under 16s and was all the rage. Shouldn't put your hat on untried youngsters because class of 92 syndrome

Gandalf

Too much is being read into the AZ game in terms of player performances and tactics. For a start it was a comedy pitch the like of which we won't be playing on again any time soon and beyond that I really think that despite saying the right things in his presser, Ole couldn't have given two fecks about the result. The objective seemed to be to protect the players as much as possible on a dangerous surface and beyond that to treat this as a training match, shift players around and try different things all with an eye on the next league match.

For what it is worth Mason did ok. He is a year or two away from being able to play regularly at this level and there is no shame in that, he has a slight frame and is still growing, not everyone is like Rooney and built like a brick shithouse at 16. Looked at closely he had some nice touches and some of his movement off the ball was good and certainly more instinctive than we have recently seem from Rashford but it is fragments of good play that he needs to knit together into a consistent performance and that won't come overnight. I do think he is our most exciting youth talent right now and this experience will benefit him in the long run even if the end product on the field this season is disappointing.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's probably a better finisher, but Rashford, in my opinion, had more about him at the same age.

I just hope we're not relying on him come half way into the season because it's too much for him to handle.

Stacks

He's probably a better finisher, but Rashford, in my opinion, had more about him at the same age.

I just hope we're not relying on him come half way into the season because it's too much for him to handle.
You could make that argument as Rashford looked a super talent at 18 and was doing things above his own actual ability. It was a purple patch. He looked like this premier league level was nothing to him. Scoring in big games etc, poaching goals and finishing everything. That goal vs City too. People forget Rashford was just 18 at the time.

Walters_19_MuFc

You could make that argument as Rashford looked a super talent at 18 and was doing things above his own actual ability. It was a purple patch. He looked like this premier league level was nothing to him. Scoring in big games etc, poaching goals and finishing everything. That goal vs City too. People forget Rashford was just 18 at the time.
People forget he's only 21 now.

SteveW

Poor game. Pitch didn't help. Seemed to struggle with his touch.

Walters_19_MuFc

He is highly experienced at club and national level. He has more caps than Carrick. There's the young and then there's the YOUNG
Experience counts for nothing if you don't have the right guidance or progression, though.

If were to play Greenwood up top in this team for the next few years, you'd soon see how he'd struggle.

These players should be coming into a team that are settled and doing well, not being thrown into the deep end, with a team that's struggles to create next to nothing.

HowieC

He’s the antithesis of Rashford. A technically skilled and intelligent player who isn’t fully physically developed yet.

He’s going to take a while to build physicality but will be very good in time.

In contrast, Rashford started with pace and some power, but has poor fundamental touch and technique and hence has not progressed since coming in.

Reactions: Penna

Stacks

Experience counts for nothing if you don't have the right guidance or progression, though.

If were to play Greenwood up top in this team for the next few years, you'd soon see how he'd struggle.

These players should be coming into a team that are settled and doing well, not being thrown into the deep end, with a team that's struggles to create next to nothing.
100%. Part of the reason I would rather Mason goes on loan away from this madness because the senior players are effing up so soon they'll be looking to him for inspiration like we did Januzaj. Longard hasn't scored in like a year and Rashford requires being 9 yards out with no bodies in the way to score. It's not healthy. On loan away from the pressure of a big side like United is better for your development IMO, when the team is failing at least and questionably coached. Mason would probably excel under someone like Van Gaal as he would be instructed where to operate in each phase.

Walters_19_MuFc

100%. Part of the reason I would rather Mason goes on loan away from this madness because the senior players are effing up so soon they'll be looking to him for inspiration like we did Januzaj. Longard hasn't scored in like a year and Rashford requires being 9 yards out with no bodies in the way to score. It's not healthy. On loan away from the pressure of a big side like United is better for your development IMO, when the team is failing at least and questionably coached. Mason would probably excel under someone like Van Gaal as he would be instructed where to operate in each phase.
I would like to see him go on loan too. Thing is, Rashford, although he's had a lot of games is still also inexperienced in regards to age and know how. We should not be relying on him!

Walters_19_MuFc

He’s the antithesis of Rashford. A technically skilled and intelligent player who isn’t fully physically developed yet.

He’s going to take a while to build physicality but will be very good in time.

In contrast, Rashford started with pace and some power, but has poor fundamental touch and technique and hence has not progressed since coming in.
Guess we'll see in three years time. Hopefully Greenwood gets to play with better players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We are short on forwards but I wouldn’t start him today personally. I still remember our game at St. James last season. Newcastle were a bunch of thugs, and that Lascelles in particular was kicking the shit out of our players, not to mention Shelvey should have walked for trying to break Pogba’s leg.

After losing 5-0 last week, I think Newcastle will come out trying to show ‘fight’ and ‘passion’ and all that cliché stuff. Not the environment for Ma$e. At least not from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.