5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrational.

We are short on forwards but I wouldn’t start him today personally. I still remember our game at St. James last season. Newcastle were a bunch of thugs, and that Lascelles in particular was kicking the shit out of our players, not to mention Shelvey should have walked for trying to break Pogba’s leg.

After losing 5-0 last week, I think Newcastle will come out trying to show ‘fight’ and ‘passion’ and all that cliché stuff. Not the environment for Ma$e. At least not from the start.
This is exactly what I expect. Their fans will be properly up for it too, and expect an electrifying performance from Lord Voldemort in the middle of the pitch. Not the best game to start him, even though we're probably going tot drop points again.

Sterling Archer

I wouldn’t read too much into any of the kids performances with the way the club is at the moment.
This is the worst thing about it for me. I don't want to damage the kids confidence in this time. Our grown men barely handled it the last two seasons. It's not fair to do it to the kids without the right support structure.

And you just know they all are reading social media too... It's not healthy

Edy2

He has to start today surely considering rashford's form. Enough is enough there. Start using rashford from the bench. That's how he was more effective in his early days anyway.

AFC NimbleThumb

Given the state of our team, there is no excuse to not start this boy.

30 minute salvos are disgusting.

Rashford started season as first choice LW so put him back there & play Greenwood up top.

el3mel

I fear for his development amidst this shower.
I was coming to say the say the same. I feel for him with the big expectations on his shoulder while surrounding by a shower of shite from manager to players while he's still only 18. Must be unhealthy atmosphere for development.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How long before his agent starts making noise that since he's on the team and just as good as the garbage around him that he should be on Rashford wages? That's the risk you're running by having him play more and more on the first team and he sees Rashford drive off in an expensive car having done feck-all to deserve it.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Surprised with Martial out for so many weeks he failed to get himself a start in the PL, especially considering Rashford has been struggling. Now with Martial likely back after the int break, he'll find it even more difficult to start games in the PL for now. Hopefully by January he'd have started registering a few PL starts.

Sanche7

The reason he doesn’t start is because Ole trusts Rashy blindly.

Cliche Guevara

Give him a break then send him on loan to Sheffield United in January.

There’s far too much desperation with regards to him at the moment.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Give him a break then send him on loan to Sheffield United in January.

There’s far too much desperation with regards to him at the moment.
Agree with this.

Let's develop the guy properly. Give him a loan, perhaps even into the Championship, maybe give him another loan after that. Throwing him into this pit of fire is only going to go one way, we're seeing the effects that it has ultimately had on Rashford who looks void of all confidence as well as completely burnt out.

Look at Tammy Abraham and the results of his patient development. I'd even say the same about Tuanzebe who just looks so ready.

Get someone like Lyon's Dembele, or Callum Wilson. Reinforce the frontline and then give this guy a few years to work on himself in a non-chaotically negative environment.

grahamo

Putting teenagers in with the team from 10-15 or 20 years ago would have given them a massive boost. Putting teenagers in with the half hearted useless senior squad we have now will completely ruin their confidence and development. Leave them where they are enjoying their football or send them out on loan until we've got rid of the self entitled overpaid dross in the senior team now

Banana Republic

He's clearly not ready to be a regular starter. Miles off it.
The lad needs to get more game time in the U23's.
He will continue to be useful coming off the bench for the first team, if he's played in the box and not being wasted out wide producing nothing; but it's got to be balanced by getting some proper game time at his physical and age level in the U23's, where he can continue his development and building match fitness.
Otherwise he could be ruined being used as desperate measures, trying to bolster up our depleted forward line.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Football fans have a tendency to severely overestimate the potential of a youth player on the verge of first team break-through. This is happening right now at United with Greenwood and Gomes, but it’s a global phenomenon. Barca fans did it in the past with Bojan and Halovic, and recently with Alena.

Mark Pawelek

He's clearly not ready to be a regular starter. Miles off it.
The lad needs to get more game time in the U23's.

He will continue to be useful coming off the bench for the first team, if he's played in the box and not being wasted out wide producing nothing; but it's got to be balanced by getting some proper game time at his physical and age level in the U23's, where he can continue his development and building match fitness.
Otherwise he could be ruined being used as desperate measures, trying to bolster up our depleted forward line.
I don't see him learning much at U23s. He mastered it last season!

Given that: he's at the club, and not on loan, so he should play some U-23s plus the EFL Trophy. But he's our 3rd striker now. He'll be on the bench or starting every match. So he can't play all 90 minutes for U-23s or EFL Trophy.

As an aside: I also agreed with LvG's method of 1st team players returning from injury having an U-23 match to get them in tune. In fact: Coming back from injury, I think it's essential to have actual match practice before playing in the 1st team.

Mark Pawelek

Football fans have a tendency to severely overestimate the potential of a youth player on the verge of first team break-through. This is happening right now at United with Greenwood and Gomes, but it’s a global phenomenon. Barca fans did it in the past with Bojan and Halovic, and recently with Alena.
Because fans see 1st teamers making mistakes, playing badly, and losing. Then they watch kids playing well, making no big blunders, and winning. I guess fans don't always see the nasty side of football.

Treble

Mason played only 6 games for the U-23 team. Basically, he jumped from the U18/U19 level to the highest level where football is a different game. What makes things worse is that he is expected to lift a struggling team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mason played only 6 games for the U-23 team. Basically, he jumped from the U18/U19 level to the highest level where football is a different game. What makes things worse is that he is expected to lift a struggling team.
He's really not by anyone sane. Anything he can contribute is a great great bonus already

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Wouldn’t the the worst idea to have RVP spend some time with our coaches and Greenwood to be honest.

Treble

He's really not by anyone sane. Anything he can contribute is a great great bonus already
I agree. But he is often subbed in when we need toscore and Ole puts him on the pitch with the expectation that he can make a difference. Not sure that's a healthy way of introducing him to top flght football.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I agree. But he is often subbed in when we need toscore and Ole puts him on the pitch with the expectation that he can make a difference. Not sure that's a healthy way of introducing him to top flght football.
Idealyl we would have bought a Lukaku replacement and sent him out on loan in the Championship.

Mickson

I have watched Bojan and Greenwood closely. Bojan is nothing like Greenwood. Greenwood is a fantastic football player, I saw Bojan more of a poacher. Patience is the key here.

Treble

I have watched Bojan and Greenwood closely. Bojan is nothing like Greenwood. Greenwood is a fantastic football player, I saw Bojan more of a poacher. Patience is the key here.
You have watched Bojan in Barca's youth formations?

Mickson

You have watched Bojan in Barca's youth formations?
I wouldn't say that I watched the games, but I have seen many highlight-videos and also followed him since he was like 17. I have seen him live in youth tournaments and so on. He never had this much in his locker that Greenwood has. Greenwood have strength, vision, touch, speed, passing, heading, goalscoring, dribbling, two-footed. Can't see him not make it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm a greenwood fan but so far he hasnt shown anything beyond scoring at the senior level. Also better looking players have flopped so nothing at this age is certain

romufc

I am struggling to understand one thing. People on here keep saying he is too young to start every game, we shouldn't rely on a 18 year old.

My argument to this is:-

1. Starting him does not mean we rely on him, it just means there is not other option. Why move Rashford away from the wing when he has not shown anything that suggests he can be a CF for us.
2. We are not actually relying on him - he is deputising for an injured Martial which is why we sold Lukaku.
3. Why is it that CHO starts for Chelsea at 18 and their fans are not moaning
4. Why do our fans want 19 year old Sancho so badly for £100m? Won't we be relying on him too? He is starting League games, Champions League games and now England games at that age

So why is everyone so hesistent on Greenwood starting over Rashford?

Rashford needs to realise if he doesnt buckle down, he is no longer the golden child at United.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Has an 18 year old (or younger) come into a team with the level of cohesion, the lack of leadership and the brittle mentality such as ours and been a success? In the history of football? At this level?

Genuinely asking.

0le

Has an 18 year old (or younger) come into a team with the level of cohesion, the lack of leadership and the brittle mentality such as ours and been a success? In the history of football? At this level?

Genuinely asking.
Rooney?

Mark Pawelek

... So why is everyone so hesistent on Greenwood starting over Rashford? ...
Because Greenwood and other youth prospects aren't going to pick up positive attitudes and habits from the seniors. This point has been made over and over.

The conclusion I came to, is we must identify all the shower and remove everyone of them by January. Replacing them, if necessary, with committed, if limited journeymen. All of them. Then maybe we can see the kids play after January.

Status
Not open for further replies.