5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

It's getting time for him to start standing out in some of these appearances.
I disagree with this.

Certain young players will have an instant impact due to being very fast and explosive. This may last a couple of years and then deficiencies in their game will begin to show.

Greenwood might be a bit of a slower boil but he has all the attributes to be a top, top player for the next decade.

More steak, less sizzle.

eire-red

I disagree with this.

Certain young players will have an instant impact due to being very fast and explosive. This may last a couple of years and then deficiencies in their game will begin to show.

Greenwood might be a bit of a slower boil but he has all the attributes to be a top, top player for the next decade.

More steak, less sizzle.
Agree with you here, he doesn't have that pace to make an instant impact like Rashford and Martial did, his game is going to require more cultivation as his style is a more akin to that languid, van Persie style.

Physically he's not ready for top level yet, and I don't think a loan would do him any good either. What he's doing now, being given a taste of football at this level, finding out what the requirements are, the training habits, pressure, constant travel, all these things he's learning are what's needed right now.

In the Championship or League 1 he would get dominated physically, and that could only hurt his confidence. I think he'll be a slow burner, maybe a loan move in a couple of years would be the correct shout for his development, but not now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Anyone thinks his hold up play isn't that great? That's quite necessary for a striker.
Not great in men’s game. The kid is still 18 years old, just turned 18 a few weeks ago. To be expected, rarely you see an 18 yo striker with good hold up play in men’s game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I always thought he should have played more minutes but I think he’s still raw and Ole has done the right thing in term of number of minutes. However, I still expect him to play more minutes than Mata. Mata’s leg is gone, and playing him in XI is hurting us more than playing Greenwood in XI. His role this season should have been James’s backup with Mata should be behind Pereira & Lingard in pecking order.

SteveW

Have some patience kids!

The guy recently turned 18. He hasn't played much at this level yet but has already won us a couple of cup games. It will come.

caid

I thought it was a decent cameo. Most of these 18 year old guys look pretty good tbh.

Dan_F

He looked like a kid who won a competition.

Very raw.
He’s no more raw than Dan James, only difference being James has pace. He barely played any football this year either, so to expect him to come on for 10/15 minutes here and there and play really good is asking a lot. Especially when the team was winding down attacking wise to protect the lead.

SteveW

I thought it was a decent cameo. Most of these 18 year old guys look pretty good tbh.
Greenwood, Williams, Gomes and Garner have all looked perfectly capable of making it here in their games this season. Obviously it will take them time to produce consistently. But the potential is obvious. It's exciting.

captain666

Greenwood, Williams, Gomes and Garner have all looked perfectly capable of making it here in their games this season. Obviously it will take them time to produce consistently. But the potential is obvious. It's exciting.
There are a few more that will knocking on the first team door within another year.Those you mentioned need to be nurtured and not have their expectations/confidence shattered by over exposure too early in their careers.
The future is bright for these guys despite the kill joy pessimists in the caf.

Lynty

Thought Garner came on and made everyone know he was there. Was really impressed with his movement and telling commanding passes from senior players etc.

Still yet to see that kind of attitude from Greenwood. Comes on and largely disappears. Should have scored. Still high hopes for him but I'm still waiting to be excited

SteveW

There are a few more that will knocking on the first team door within another year.Those you mentioned need to be nurtured and not have their expectations/confidence shattered by over exposure too early in their careers.
The future is bright for these guys despite the kill joy pessimists in the caf.
Who else do you reckon other than Laird?

As much as I rate him I don't think Levitt will make it here.

SteveW

Am hoping Levitt gets his chance soon,also have fingers crossed for Ramazani and Galbraith making it here but it's a tough school!
Not a hope will those two make it imo. We've been doing great though. Rashford, McTomminay, Tuanzebe are pretty much established. Williams, Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and probably Laird coming behind. Hannibal looks potentially fantastic also. With a few god signings we could be on the way to developing a really decent squad again.

Stacks

Agree with you here, he doesn't have that pace to make an instant impact like Rashford and Martial did, his game is going to require more cultivation as his style is a more akin to that languid, van Persie style.

Physically he's not ready for top level yet, and I don't think a loan would do him any good either. What he's doing now, being given a taste of football at this level, finding out what the requirements are, the training habits, pressure, constant travel, all these things he's learning are what's needed right now.

In the Championship or League 1 he would get dominated physically, and that could only hurt his confidence. I think he'll be a slow burner, maybe a loan move in a couple of years would be the correct shout for his development, but not now.
Well if one cannot handle the physicality of the championship or league one then you'll have fat chance at the highest level. You think defenders aren't rough in the top division? They are physical, but also faster, stronger, smarter and technically better than lower leagues. I am keen on him having a loan but maybe when he is 19/20. Let him ply his trade a bit more in the youths or maybe a loan to Holland or something. There is no actual rush and many can see the difference between playing under 21's and 1st team is chalk and cheese so the hysteria that "Mason must play" and that he is "deffo gonna be better than Rashford" or "signing another forward will block his path" has quietened down a bit as the levels required is much much higher than what he has ever required so we must let him gain his apprenticeship the normal way and not rush.

Remember the geese

Not a hope will those two make it imo. We've been doing great though. Rashford, McTomminay, Tuanzebe are pretty much established. Williams, Greenwood, Gomes, Garner and probably Laird coming behind. Hannibal looks potentially fantastic also. With a few god signings we could be on the way to developing a really decent squad again.
I'm a fan of Teden Mengi. I'm hoping that he can follow a similar path to Tuanzebe.

lumeyes

I'll add Levit to the list, plus the new kid Hannibal. There is another people seem to forget, Aidan Barlow. He also has a chance. I think among all the youngsters, he is the one most likely to be a Hazard type of player. I feel he is more explosive than Gomes

ash_86

Not great in men’s game. The kid is still 18 years old, just turned 18 a few weeks ago. To be expected, rarely you see an 18 yo striker with good hold up play in men’s game.
Let's hope so. He'd be looked and compared with other 18 Yr Olds and no more a kid. Probably needs a loan?

SteveW

I'll add Levit to the list, plus the new kid Hannibal. There is another people seem to forget, Aidan Barlow. He also has a chance. I think among all the youngsters, he is the one most likely to be a Hazard type of player. I feel he is more explosive than Gomes
I like Levitt but think he will come up short of making it here. Hannibal looks great in the little I've seen. Barlow isn't at that level at all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Those who are expecting more from him just realise this, in 4 years time he'll be the same age as Rashford is now

He's literally just turned 18 and really shouldn't be playing anywhere near as much first team football as he has this season

Crashoutcassius

This is going exactly as expected.. The guy has jist turned 18. No need to panic and worry and say he needs a loan etc. It is going according to plan, he has even scored a few nice goals

zenith

The club may believe in youth but it's a different case with the fans (especially the non match going ones). They expect to see something new anytime a new talent breaks through or is hyped as the next big thing.

Greenwood is a poacher type striker and it'll be quite a while before his talent is well established and recognized. The moment he has few quiet games, i expect some of the fans to begin questioning his talent.

Hope the club and manager continue to ignore all the noise and focus on his development

Acole9

Outstanding
He's definitely got potential and looks the best out of all the youngsters being blooded into the first team. However, if we hopefully sign a striker in January I think we should loan him out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'll be honest, he looks quite nervous still, I think it'll be a while before he can fully showcase what he's about. It's understandable considering he's only just turned 18, he doesn't really even have that much u23 football under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised if he's played more senior games than u23 games at this point.

AltiUn

The club may believe in youth but it's a different case with the fans (especially the non match going ones). They expect to see something new anytime a new talent breaks through or is hyped as the next big thing.

Greenwood is a poacher type striker and it'll be quite a while before his talent is well established and recognized. The moment he has few quiet games, i expect some of the fans to begin questioning his talent.

Hope the club and manager continue to ignore all the noise and focus on his development
He's really not, he's a very good all-action striker.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
For everyone talking about how he looked sluggish, he was coming off playing a U23 game on Friday night so had nowhere near the same rest levels a everyone else.

Stacks

Those who are expecting more from him just realise this, in 4 years time he'll be the same age as Rashford is now

He's literally just turned 18 and really shouldn't be playing anywhere near as much first team football as he has this season
Rashford broke through at 18 and wasn't as hyped but took to 1st team football like magic. It's probably because Rashford is a natural Athlete and is a bit tricky so can rely on this until his other sides develop. Mason just needs 1st team experience that's why I am keen on a loan. Not 15 mins here and there but 70 mins, 80 mins etc.

He'sRaldo

Really shows the hysteria for him and Gomes to play and start so early in the season was misplaced.

I really hope the overhyping of our youngsters stops, because the flip side of it is skepticism and anger when they don't live up to the ridiculous hype levels.

AltiUn

Really shows the hysteria for him and Gomes to play and start so early in the season was misplaced.

I really hope the overhyping of our youngsters stops, because the flip side of it is skepticism and anger when they don't live up to the ridiculous hype levels.
People wanted to give them a chance because they both had good pre-seasons and our other options were uninspiring, give them a chance to grow into the roles (Greenwood’s actually our 4th highest scorer, for the record). Not to mention they’ve had to be given minutes in games where the team has struggled to maintain control.

Gomes in particular I feel has been hard done by, he’s been given little opportunity to showcase what he can do, he should’ve been afforded the same chances Mata and Lingard have been offered.

He'sRaldo

People wanted to give them a chance because they both had good pre-seasons and our other options were uninspiring, give them a chance to grow into the roles (Greenwood’s actually our 4th highest scorer, for the record). Not to mention they’ve had to be given minutes in games where the team has struggled to maintain control.

Gomes in particular I feel has been hard done by, he’s been given little opportunity to showcase what he can do, he should’ve been afforded the same chances Mata and Lingard have been offered.
I don't disagree with giving them chances, I disagree with the hysteria and the overhyping. Men's football is totally different from the youth's, so their performances there shouldn't be compared against our senior players' performances.

People were expecting Gomes to come in and solve our AM issues and for Greenwood to be a perfectly fine 2nd choice striker, all based on youth football; then they would start complaining when OGS left them out or didn't start them in games. That doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

AltiUn

Who else do you reckon other than Laird?

As much as I rate him I don't think Levitt will make it here.
Mengi and Devine will both get a shot, IMO. Wouldn’t be shocked to see us give Ramazani a go at some point too considering how far he’s come in a year. Whether they’re good enough to make it is a different story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.