Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Exactly. Most of the great players weren't prolific scorers from the young age. They all showed glimpses of their talent and improved with experience.
Yep. Some people seem to be panicking that he's having a hard time getting involved in games. I'd say that's one of the most common issues with teenagers and barely a worry. It's not even so much of getting stronger himself as its just learning the physicality that happens. That's where a loan would do him a world of good IMO, learning the responsibilities of a starting striker and getting used to the game.

Grande

They're adults. They're old enough to go to war. They can handle a game of football. Every player is different and it makes sense to pick and choose the right moments depending on the person but this idea that losing a coupe of games would damage their careers in the long term is a bit fecking weak tbh.

Nobody is saying put them in if they are physically not ready or purposely playing them in a position they can't handle. But I wouldn't go playing the likes of Mata every week for the sake of protecting these kids. We gain much more by playing Garner or Gomes than playing someone like Mata. They are good players and well able for it.
You know how wars affect the psyche of young adults/kids? Strange comparison that rather underlines that adults of 18-20 often are kids in many ways, and often affected by different things than more experienced adults.

I’m quite sure if it’s true what many former managers and players have said, that it takes a special kind of player to thrive in the constant limelight and pressure of Manchester United, it is even harder for most 18 year olds to build up confidence while being subconsciously subject to hundreds of critical opinions on SoMe every day. If you are 18 and entrusted the starting place as a 9, and next dace face headlines in all the news of an ‘attacking crisis’ at your club, it will do most players no good.

Building a solid confidence requires set backs and pressure to grow from, but not so much as to bury you. Personally, I thought I could see the worry on Greenwoods face for a while there, he didn’t seem able to enjoy himself at all for a while. Not so after that extra time goal vs Doncaster. I think he needs to be brought in slowly, more or less like this.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He wasn't playing centre forward before that age, that's why.

It's time in the position, not simply age, that defines them.
He played on occasion, he just simply wasnt ready so they played him wide while he learned.
Ibrahimovic was a 15 goal a season player until he was basically 26 years old. It's just very rare that players become regular goalscorers until they start hitting their primes. Saying that, not everybody hits their prime at the same age.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His form has dipped a little since last year, but his talent is still very clear.

Not sure why but recently he seems a bit unsteady on his feet, wonder if he's getting balance issues from growing?

It seems his time in the first team has knocked him back a little, but I have no doubts he will recover. Not playing regularly for the first time in his career is probably another strange step to get over.

He does need to "bulk up" but that'll happen naturally and with gym work. Just like Rashford who was a weedy kid at his age.

Thiagoal

This season the boy needs little cameos to gradually get accustomed to the demands of professional football! He’s barely played any U23 games- the step from kids football is ridiculously high!

You can clearly see he has wonderful ability and knows how to score! Hopefully our other strikers stay fit so he doesn’t have to be thrown into games and can come on in comfortable situations where he can relax and play his natural game

He'sRaldo

Not sure why but recently he seems a bit unsteady on his feet, wonder if he's getting balance issues from growing?
Yup, I asked about this a while back. I remember him being more nimble and comfortable in his body last season as well, I think he may have had a growth spurt and isn't fully comfortable yet with his new build.

Zlatattack

He'd defintely benefit from a loan next season, assuming we have cover in our squad. Somewhere the pressure isn't on and he can get a regular run of games.

Adam-Utd

Yup, I asked about this a while back. I remember him being more nimble and comfortable in his body last season as well, I think he may have had a growth spurt and isn't fully comfortable yet with his new build.
I think so. It's that or he's got some new boots that are useless and don't grip in the muddier conditions.

I remember Rashford had a similar period where he looks like bamby on ice, I can only think it's a growth issue.

He used to be in complete control and rarely fell over or got knocked off balance easily. Go back to the Cardiff/PSG games and he looks "normal" there.

I'm sure it's just a phase anyway, the fact he played badly and still scored a match winner is a great sign.

eire-red

Jermaine Defoe went on loan to Bournemouth at 17 and broke Aldridge's British goal scoring record. He was 5"6! Stop making them out as if they are babies. When we played in the cup vs Rochdale, their FB was like 16. Still doing GCSE's. He was tiny. You can definitely by physically ready at 18 to play with grown men. Depends on the player and his adaptability as well as mentality and intelligence. It's not necessarily their age and the fact he has already scored a couple goals against men then I don't see why he cannot play with grown men
That's two examples, and the young lad that signed from Fulham to Liverpool would be another, but they're the exception and not the rule. Greenwood plays CF and not RB, RB you can survive if you have pace and are good in the tackle, and decent going forward.

CF's compete against CB's who are usually the biggest and strongest players on the pitch for 90mins, often isolated 2 against 1. It's a completely different position with different set of challenges for a teenager to acclimatise to.

Handré1990

I think so. It's that or he's got some new boots that are useless and don't grip in the muddier conditions.

I remember Rashford had a similar period where he looks like bamby on ice, I can only think it's a growth issue.

He used to be in complete control and rarely fell over or got knocked off balance easily. Go back to the Cardiff/PSG games and he looks "normal" there.

I'm sure it's just a phase anyway, the fact he played badly and still scored a match winner is a great sign.
Could be either, or simply nerves. He did stuff like this during pre season:

SteveW

You know how wars affect the psyche of young adults/kids? Strange comparison that rather underlines that adults of 18-20 often are kids in many ways, and often affected by different things than more experienced adults.

I’m quite sure if it’s true what many former managers and players have said, that it takes a special kind of player to thrive in the constant limelight and pressure of Manchester United, it is even harder for most 18 year olds to build up confidence while being subconsciously subject to hundreds of critical opinions on SoMe every day. If you are 18 and entrusted the starting place as a 9, and next dace face headlines in all the news of an ‘attacking crisis’ at your club, it will do most players no good.

Building a solid confidence requires set backs and pressure to grow from, but not so much as to bury you. Personally, I thought I could see the worry on Greenwoods face for a while there, he didn’t seem able to enjoy himself at all for a while. Not so after that extra time goal vs Doncaster. I think he needs to be brought in slowly, more or less like this.
War is a lot tougher than football mate. They are 18/19 year old adults. These lads are going to play for United. It's a dream for them. It's what they live for.

I've already said there's a danger in placing too much reliance on some young players. They arentvready to play every game or lead the team. But lets not overstate this. Those kids would give anything to play. Its not some monster that will eat them up. They will be trained in how to cope with criticism. I can think of very few youngsters who have been severely damaged by a bit of stick. The vast majority end up stronger for it. Its part of football and its something they need to learn quickly

A lot is made of SAF protecting you players from too much pressure. He did that. But that didn't mean not playing kids a lot. He literally sold 3 of his biggest stars one summer and put the responsibility on a group of kids. They thrived. Giggs played most weeks from the age of 17. Rooney and Ronaldo were given huge responsibilty as teenagers. He tried to play Darren Fletcher in a league game when he was 15 years old.

In saying all this do not turn around and act like I'm being flippant here. I understand that these players are under severe scrutiny. I think the constant criticism and general moaning and whingeing has effected even the older players in recent times. It's a squad that's confidence is pretty fragile right now and that's human and understandable. But like most things the only real way to get over it is to go through it and realise that it doesn't kill you. The experiences they're getting right now are invaluable. The more of it the better.

Stacks

Plenty great strikers didn't explode til their early/mid 20's. I'd say the vast majority didn't actually. Look at RvP for example. Before like 25/26 he didnt exactly do much.
True. But I didn't hype RVP as a teenage prospect or wonderkid who was destined for the top. He was just another Arsenal punt in my eyes who turned out world class

Stacks

That's two examples, and the young lad that signed from Fulham to Liverpool would be another, but they're the exception and not the rule. Greenwood plays CF and not RB, RB you can survive if you have pace and are good in the tackle, and decent going forward.

CF's compete against CB's who are usually the biggest and strongest players on the pitch for 90mins, often isolated 2 against 1. It's a completely different position with different set of challenges for a teenager to acclimatise to.
Jermaine Defoe is a CF. I know Defoe was very good as a youngster as I watched him score a Hatrick against Man Utd under 19s when he was 16. I don't know if Defoe at the same age is better than Mason or not so it's worth a go to see how he gets on

Bournemouth 1:0 Man Utd

kundalini

On initial viewing I though Mason had struck the post with the keeper in position to save it, even if he had got his shot on target but one of the replays showed that wasn't the case. Not an easy chance but there was space to score at the near post, as the keeper wasn't perfectly positioned.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
At least he's getting goalscoring chances. That's surely a good thing.
Yes. He gets on 5-15 minutes, and every time he gets at least one very good chance, or creates a good shot out of nothing. That is very good signs. It isn't a worry that he isn't scoring those chances right now, and once he gets more minutes he'll get on the end of a lot around the box.

Devil may care

He was ony on about 10 minutes and almost scored, great movement from him, can't ask much more from him at this stage.

Man Utd 3:0 Partizan

redom

Grew into the game, started off a bit anonymous but took his goal well and got some confidence from it. Thought he looked the most like his youth/u23 self today compared to his previous first team outings with his link up play and general quality on the ball, promising signs.

Zoo

Good goal and performance. A few signs of linking up well with the other forwards.

He'sRaldo

Made up his mind not to drift in this game; was involved in a lot of good actions, both offensive and defensive.

M Bison

Supports
York City
You can see why we didn’t replace Lukaku directly. He looks ready to play more, strength and composure is fantastic for an 18 year old.

BlackBen

Mason did well. I like the fact that he worked hard all game both offensively and defensively. Oh and he also took his goal well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Took his goal really well, for now he looks better as wide forward. He is involved more in the game. That pass to Martial was very good.

Roboc7

Really pleased he got a goal, needs to playing in all Europa and league cup games. You can see he isn’t ready to be starting games regularly in Premier League but he’s also good enough to be given more than 8-10 mins at end of games if we need a goal.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
3 goals already is pretty impressive.

SteveW

Still getting used to senior football. Played well throughout though and the goal was another example of what makes him so special and a certainty to make it. He only turned 18 a few weeks ago so you'd have to say he's making very good progress.

Macedonian Red

He is fox in the box, has a tehnique. Reminds me of RVP. Also think he has no pace for wings. Can play there in future but CF is defenitly his position.

Adam-Utd

Really pleased for him.

looked more like his “old self” today, balance and footing was back to normal.

well taken goal as usual, he could have rushes it on his right foot and shot straight away, but he showed great composure cutting back and opening up his body giving the keeper the eyes.

He really is a instinctive finisher. Involved in plenty of the build up too which was good. I think he’s going to develop hugely over the next year or so.

Red00012

Keep giving him Europa league and carabao cup games to build his confidence. I can see why he’s been used sparingly in the league. He doesn’t need to be part of that flit flow.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has a lethal cross from the right, only problem is he won't be in the box for that. Thought he played really well. Didn't get to showcase half of his abilities. If we weren't so sloppy at times around the box he probably would have scored at least one more goal. Team should work on getting him in positions where he has his eyes towards the goal. Feels like he can score at any moment, but at this stage it's just about if the game comes to him, if it does he'll score. It is a weird feeling, because while it is important to not give him too much too quick, I feel his value to the team would rise and never stop if we gave him a good run. Sure he'd be inconsistent in overall play but he'd still bang them in at any level, which would be of great help to us now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finish was cool as feck. Three this season now and he's only started a few games.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The kid just turned 18 not long ago, and has already scored 3 goals for us this season. He is progressing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.