5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

This. People not realising that bringing another 19 year old striker would impede Greenwood development especially since I believe Greenwood is more talented than Haaland.

People have a superbly talented young fellow coming along well and on his own in the team yet they're craving for a Lukaku 2.0 because he's banging in goals in some third rate league. We should stay away from players clumsy on the ball, especially attacking player.
It's very strange. I've never heard of a club with two teenage strikers (with complelty different styles) and they were both successful. Sometimes I think it's better to not overcomplicate things and fill out your defencicies and necessities in the first XI first, instead of trying to fix something that's not broken and especially when they don't really fit stylistically.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's very strange. I've never heard of a club with two teenage strikers (with complelty different styles) and they were both successful. Sometimes I think it's better to not overcomplicate things and fill out your defencicies and necessities in the first XI first, instead of trying to fix something that's not broken and especially when they don't really fit stylistically.
I keep trying to tell people this but somehow it just doesn't go through their heads. You can't have both Haaland and Greenwood then expect that they'll both make it here, that's ridiculous.

Then you hear dumb arguments such as Ferguson having 4 strikers. Of course he did, we were playing a 2 strikers system which in our system is equivalent to having 2 strikers for 1 position which is currently the case.

It's downright ridiculous how people can't grasp simple things.

nyanza

Then you hear dumb arguments such as Ferguson having 4 strikers. Of course he did, we were playing a 2 strikers system which in our system is equivalent to having 2 strikers for 1 position which is currently the case.

That's not quite true either though. When you have 2 players for one position, one injury leaves you with no options. When you have 4 players for 2 positions, one injury still leaves you with one backup option.

That's not quite true either though. When you have 2 players for one position, one injury leaves you with no options. When you have 4 players for 2 positions, one injury still leaves you with one backup option.
furthermore, as we have seen Martial and Greenwood have been playing in the same starting 11.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This. People not realising that bringing another 19 year old striker would impede Greenwood development especially since I believe Greenwood is more talented than Haaland.

People have a superbly talented young fellow coming along well and on his own in the team yet they're craving for a Lukaku 2.0 because he's banging in goals in some third rate league. We should stay away from players clumsy on the ball, especially attacking player.
Again, these absolutes people are talking in is ridiculous.

Haaland is 19 years old with 16 goals in 14 league games. Irrespective of the quality of said league, those are impressive numbers. What is even more impressive is his 8 goals in 6 CL matches - 4 of which came against Napoli and Liverpool.

In what world is Haaland a 'Lukaku 2.0', but Mason Greenwood is 'a superbly talented young fellow'?

The question of whether signing one prospect will impede the development of another is entirely a rational discussion to elucidate, but it is not one which needs to be met with hyperbole. Let's be sensible here.

Classical Mechanic

Butty trying to keep his feet on the ground

“Mason has just turned 18 and we shouldn’t forget that. He can do anything, he can score and win games which is what a Man United striker has to do, but he has to get the other side of the game which is important in professional football. He’s the kind of player who will do nothing for the whole game and then score you two goals. He could be a superstar if he works with the coaches around him to make himself better - or he could be a miss if he doesn’t.”

Tarrou

I keep trying to tell people this but somehow it just doesn't go through their heads. You can't have both Haaland and Greenwood then expect that they'll both make it here, that's ridiculous.

Greenwood can play a few positions though

If you play a 1 striker system, its much easier to keep everyone happy if you have players who can play up top but on the wing or 10 also, such as Greenwood

Handré1990

Butty trying to keep his feet on the ground

“Mason has just turned 18 and we shouldn’t forget that. He can do anything, he can score and win games which is what a Man United striker has to do, but he has to get the other side of the game which is important in professional football. He’s the kind of player who will do nothing for the whole game and then score you two goals. He could be a superstar if he works with the coaches around him to make himself better - or he could be a miss if he doesn’t.”
Excellent! He really has that mega potential, so let’s do everything to get it all fulfilled.

tob

Håland and Greenwood are two different players, and you need different options in attack sometimes. If we're able to get Håland for a low fee, then I'm not against it. He may be a success. He may not be.
I'm more convinced over Greenwood making it at this level, and I think Solskjær rates him very high. So I'm not concerned that Håland's presence would have a negative impact on Greenwood's development.

Stacks

Worth to note, Rashford has scored 8 goals for United in his first senior season. Greenwood is on 6 goals already and it's only December.
Most of Radhford goals were in the EPL and against strong teams like City and Arsenal as opposed to Europa.
He'll be a 30 goals a season striker from next year and 8 seasons running after that.
Even Michael Owen didn't manage this......

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Most of Radhford goals were in the EPL and against strong teams like City and Arsenal as opposed to Europa.

Even Michael Owen didn't manage this......
Yeah it's not a bad look for him at all if he doesn't manage to do it, it's just that I believe he will.

Thiagoal

I think we’ll find Martial will be phased out or eventually sold if Haaland comes! Not consistent enough sadly!

Marcelinho87

I don't think Haaland will impede Greenwood too much as I see Greenwood being deployed from the right more often than not.

I see it like this:

Central: Martial/Haaland
Left: Rashford/James
Right: James/Greenwood

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Not much more ridiculous than having Rooney and Ronaldo. Good, ambitious talents spur eachother on.

I think OGS will play the 4312 if he gets more options. As we saw a lot last year, it is a system that suits his football and it is very popular among high-pressing teams.

Furthermore, I do think Greenwood will play of the right quite a lot in the 433/4231. He is still a few years and a few stones from being ready to be our main centre forward. Very few players are ready to be a centre forward at the top level before they are 21. Players who are ready are usually very early developers or players with remarkable physique.

Players like Harry Kane, Luis Suarez and Robert Lewandowski was not even close to that level at 18. Thierry Henry and Robin van Persie got a lot of game time out wide (on lower level). Mason Greenwood is a well-rounded attacker. It will do him good to get game time in different positions.

Classical Mechanic

He should be looking at taking James place on the right really. He actually already has as many direct goal contributions as James in far less minutes, albeit at a lower level. He needs to get a bit more involved but I think there's a good argument to play him against deeper sides given his gift to be able to score with the slightest opening.

POF

I get where you're coming from and I think you have a point. But more from the experience profile than a numbers perspective.

If you play a front 3, you need at least 5 genuine options for those 3 positions. When Martial was injured earlier in the season and Greenwood wasn't in great form, the team was criminally short of attacking options.

Even now with Martial back and Greenwood playing well, you look at the bench and see a complete dearth of attacking options.

For 3 attacking positions, United currently have 4 options (Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and James). If one is injured or out of form, there is nothing on the bench. With young players, that will happen more often.

From a squad perspective, you would probably want a more experienced option. A Sheringham type from the 99 squad. But, if Haaland is available and as talented as is reported, I have no issue with the club going for him. There should be plenty of games for all of the attackers.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

They aren't at the same point in their development, though, are they? One is a out and out striker who looks like he's ready to start in PL and CL, the other is 17 and still needs time to develop and will mostly be coming off the bench with the ability to play anywhere across the front three.

Only Rashford and Martial are guaranteed starters for us right now (with Martial being injured too often). Signing Haaland would mean that Greenwood will play most of his games from the right rotating with James, which isn't bad for his all round game as seen with Rashford. And this is assuming we don't play 2 upfront, in which case Greenwood will definitely get time through the middle.

el3mel

Should be starting. Our best finisher. Those comparing him to young RVP aren't joking. I'm not into overhyping kids but he deserves it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Only player to emerge from the Everton game with credit in the bank. Everyone else was trash.

Idxomer

The positive from today. Watching him hug the line after the goal was painful though and highlighted why this team needs better coaches than the ones at the club right now.

Thiagoal

Would have had two if Mata had his head up and rolled him in... class finishing as usual from the boy! A shame our players keep ignoring him

acnumber9

Has to start our next league game and should’ve been on at half time when it was obvious what we were doing wasn’t working.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I like that he’s already scored this goal 3 times. He’s going to be one of those players who can just always score that particular goal in a clutch. Build the statue already.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We looked much better with him on the pitch and once we scored, we stopped passing the ball to him.

Took his goal really well and he had so much composure to find players in right positions.

Thiagoal

The positive from today. Watching him hug the line after the goal was painful though and highlighted why this team needs better coaches than the ones at the club right now.
Agreed- get him in the fecking box! No use having James pea rolling the ball to the keeper the whole time

PoTMS

Already better player than Lingard who is a fraud. He's been more bad than he's been good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.