Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I get the feeling Ole thinks he's getting a bit big headed. Seems to be managing him very well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The skill to beat his man was great, but it's what he did upon recieving the ball from Fernandes, that sets him apart.
Most players wouldn't have been able to take a perfect touch, move it slightly and shoot it with such power, all within barely a second. In most cases, the defender would have managed to close them down or get a block in or would have pushed the attacker to have to do something more fancy to get a shot at goal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The thing is he isn't dominant on the pitch but he always bangs one in. Whys that?
Very few players in the world are ‘dominant on the pitch’. Let alone 18 year old strikers playing out wide.

NoPace

He's great. More than capable of finishing the season between 15-20 goals this season (injury pending). Does anyone think he's gone under the radar of the general football public? Or is it just the way it is now with this recent surge of talented English footballers and he's fallen into that surplus? If this was 10 years ago, the press would have gone mental for him.

Let's hope he continues upon his projected path of being Regen van Persie. :D
He might be in the Euro squad with Abraham and Ings since Kane and Rashford are probably gonna be massive health risks and unless Vardy unretires for the tournament I don't see who else is even worth considering above him since Southgate isn't going to throw Grealish or Dele Alli up top and have them play as a false 9 even though both seem well suited to it to me (unlike Maddison who I think would struggle there).

Classical Mechanic

He might be in the Euro squad with Abraham and Ings since Kane and Rashford are probably gonna be massive health risks and unless Vardy unretires for the tournament I don't see who else is even worth considering above him since Southgate isn't going to throw Grealish or Dele Alli up top and have them play as a false 9 even though both seem well suited to it to me (unlike Maddison who I think would struggle there).
I'd say Abraham, Ings, Wilson and Calvert-Lewin are all ahead of him. Greenwood hasn't really shown that he can play as a 9 for a start. DCL is a much more capable player in that position and is in great form. It wouldn't surprise me if Nketiah is even ahead of him in that position given that he's looked great for the u21s while Greenwood hasn't impressed that much. Personally I don't think Greenwood should go to the Euros unless there's an even deeper injury crisis.

NoPace

I'd say Abraham, Ings, Wilson and Calvert-Lewin are all ahead of him. Greenwood hasn't really shown that he can play as a 9 for a start. DCL is a much more capable player in that position and is in great form. It wouldn't surprise me if Nketiah is even ahead of him in that position given that he's looked great for the u21s while Greenwood hasn't impressed that much. Personally I don't think Greenwood should go to the Euros unless there's an even deeper injury crisis.
I think the idea is he'd be a better 3rd striker since he can finish a chance whereas Calvert-Lewin might be a better overall #9 but if you're talking 3rd choice striker behind Abraham and Ings, you take the guy you can throw on with 15 to go when you need a goal. If Abraham is even slightly an injury risk it's probably Calvert-Lewin since it's unclear if Ings can lead the line, he's played best (and apparently begged Southampton to keep Long) with a proper striker ahead of him and basically being a mid-table Cantona 2nd striker.

Nketiah could well be Arsenal's #9 by the end of the season so that's a fine shout too.

Based on nothing, I could see Vardy coming back if Kane and Rashford are out. He scores in big games against teams playing high lines, they could use Abraham or Ings more in the group stage or even start them then unleash Vardy with 30 to go against tiring defences he'd be brilliant at that.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Nketiah ahead of Greenwood would surely be mad.

Not saying Greenwood should go, but Nketiah? He couldnt even score regularly in the championship. Why would england cap him?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I get the feeling Ole thinks he's getting a bit big headed. Seems to be managing him very well.
Nonsense. The kid comes from a really level headed family. They are both working professionals and his sister is at Uni in Manchester. She's a pretty good sprinter I believe.

There's nothing to suggest he's big headed. Please stop making shit up!

RedIan

Mason is the opposite of big headed, very humble for such a special talent - you got the wrong feeling. Ole is keeping his feet on teh ground and nurturing him As fergie did with giggs back in the day.

romufc

I think Mason has been told, you can either be happy where you are now and be big headed and happy with 10 goals. Or, this is a spring board to kick on, become a superstar, one of the worlds best strikers.

He needs to be told, nothing will come to him easy, he will need to work hard. SIgnings such as Bruno and Maguire will make sure he doesn;t become complacent which is what we have seen with Lingard.

The right players and coaches around him to develop him into a world beater.

Nikelesh Reddy

It’s honestly frightening to see how much talent this boy possesses.Hopefully he”ll keep his head down and fulfill his talent...If he keeps progressing like this he”ll be one of the best strikers in the league within 3-4 years..,

Pace Abuser

Im a late comer to academy graduates because of see too many fall off to be optimistic unless they really kick on in the first team. But that goal against Watford was prime RVP. Just incredible for a teenager. Everything about it was class.

Seven Seas Sardines

I'm surprised not to have seen anyone commenting on how much more involved he was yesterday, especially in the second half, compared to other games he's started. He used to become invisible in games, but yesterday he was tracking back more, putting in tackles, doing long runs and making himself available for combinations and short passes. He looks more confident now.

Having Bruno in the team lifts everyone up and make them more energetic, knowing that he can pick them out. He also starts the pressing a lot of the time, pushing the likes of MvG to go on and press as well. I think we'll see a more direct and involved Mason by every game he gets together with our portuguese magnifico.

Based Adnan

Apparently his contract negotiations when he renewed were about as straight forward and painless as they come. Reportedly they reached out to someone who has experience with the wages they should be asking for (his Dad's his agent and so won't know about this), asked for that which was a reasonable demand and then that was that.

Classical Mechanic

Nketiah ahead of Greenwood would surely be mad.

Not saying Greenwood should go, but Nketiah? He couldnt even score regularly in the championship. Why would england cap him?
Nketiah scored a goal every 165 minutes for Leeds in The Championship. He wasn't given a proper opportunity by Bielsa with only 2 starts so its impossible to judge him on the back of that. What we do know is that he's now playing and scoring at a higher level (a goal for Arsenal every 141 minutes so far), that he's scored 27 goals in 29 games for England (one of the best records possibly ever) with 8 in 8 at u21 level and that for England he's looked a far more complete player at u21 level than Greenwood so far. From what I have seen of the two, Nketiah is better placed at the moment to kick on as a fully functional senior player before the Euros. That said, neither will probably go.

@NoPace

Vardy hasn't fully retired anyway and said that he'll come back 'if needed'.

Last edited:

RedRoach

Agreed with @Seven Seas Sardines. Some people must have been watching a different game. He may have been a little bit quite in the first half but in the second half he was all over the place, tracking back, tackling, combining with others etc.. He played an exquisite pass to Bruno from our half to the right which initiated one of our counter attacks. He played several really nice cross fields passes to either James or Shaw. He was involved in a couple nice combinations with James. Reading some of the other comments you would think he was invisible apart from the goal which is very far from the truth.

Classical Mechanic

Agreed with @Seven Seas Sardines. Some people must have been watching a different game. He may have been a little bit quite in the first half but in the second half he was all over the place, tracking back, tackling, combining with others etc.. He played an exquisite pass to Bruno from our half to the right which initiated one of our counter attacks. He played several really nice cross fields passes to either James or Shaw. He was involved in a couple nice combinations with James. Reading some of the other comments you would think he was invisible apart from the goal which is very far from the truth.
I thought it was one of his best all round games and the stats back that up.

Raven

Wasting him in the wing to be honest. Ole needs to find a way to play two strikers and allow him to play more closer to the goal.

Right now we are just playing him on the wing to give him minutes, I don't think its helping him develop much. He always seems more alive when he is near the goal.
Just play him and Rashford as wide strikers. Job done.

romufc

Wasting him in the wing to be honest. Ole needs to find a way to play two strikers and allow him to play more closer to the goal.

Right now we are just playing him on the wing to give him minutes, I don't think its helping him develop much. He always seems more alive when he is near the goal.
Strikers coming through with his build hardly get a chance up top when they are breaking.

Especially for a team like Manutd. Ole mentioned he is still growing and until he fully develops, giving him minutes playing in the prem is very good experience.

I think he is developing, he needs to understand how to play, find space etc at the highest level.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
11 goals and three assists is a fine return for a young striker at this stage of the season. The way he's able to makes his own chances is also hugely encouraging, it's rare you get a lethal finisher who can also carry the ball.

MadMike

How are we wasting him, what the actual hell? A lot of young strikers start from the wing as they get more time and space than in the middle to find their feet and build experience. Not only our own Rashford and Martial, but also the Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappes of this world.

I find the notion that he's not developing as fast while getting on pitch minutes and racking up goals, absurd. Like he'd develop faster if he had 2 CBs on him, playing half the game with his back to the goal and the burden of responsibility to lead the line. And we're not gonna switch our formation from 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, when it' doesn't suit the rest of the team, just to see Greenwood score a couple more goals.

MDFC Manager

One of those players who makes you start celebrating a goal half a second before he even completes his shot!

AP88

Supports
Man City
Looks reinvigorated by having someone on his level to play with in Bruno; most of his goals have been created by himself out of nothing, and constantly making clever runs that primitives like Lingard and Andreas didn’t spot seemed to take its toll on his confidence and enthusiasm.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not much games left & we really need a player like him now to help Martial balance the goal scoring pressure.

If Ole starts using him more then he's used him well this season.

Some of the tougher games I want to see him in a partnership with Martial in a 352 in front of Bruno Fernandes because I think he can get chances like he did yesterday more often.

Especially since Rashford may be out until the end of the season - it's the time for him to be officially stepped up to the first team set up with it coming up tk a break & a new season around the corner as well.

romufc

Especially since Rashford may be out until the end of the season - it's the time for him to be officially stepped up to the first team set up with it coming up tk a break & a new season around the corner as well.
Not just that, it will also give a slight kick up to Rashford is we perform well and get into top 4 with these guys.

Rashford will have to step up.

Better players mean players have to step up, prior to Bruno Perreira and Lingard knew they'd play every game, now its not the case.

RedCurry

Good spot. That is actually great man management. Ole seems really good at bedding the kids in.
Ole’s mentioned many times how he speaks with SAF after games. His man management comes directly from the best man manager to have existed in football.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There is something a bit special about him. Nketiah looks a natural goal scorer too, but there is something about Greenwood.

It feels like if he receives the ball in the box and is even given a few inches, he can find the net. It’s ruthless and extremely precise and clinical.

This is the type of player who makes the difference in big games.

How many times have we seen good players in his position smash it off the defender or try to play for more space and lose the ball?

The control, touch and “no chance GK” finish, suggests we have something special on our hands.

He needs to be handled with care and at the same time, given time to develop. It’s a big challenge, but I’m really excited about him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Instead of thinking about who he is like or whether he is England standard or even ballon'dor, let's just allow the young man to develop his football skills and become the very best he can be.

He is at the right club to do that.

Tony247

Two footed deadly poacher. Should start playing more central now that we have Bruno.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Mason is the opposite of big headed, very humble for such a special talent - you got the wrong feeling. Ole is keeping his feet on teh ground and nurturing him As fergie did with giggs back in the day.
And Giggs was getting a bit big headed back in the day...didn't stop him becoming a world class player with good management.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing wrong with an ego and self confidence anyway. The best players in the world all are.

If you don’t believe in your self who will?

tjb

What do people feel Greenwood's best position is? Right wing or striker?
Clearly as a striker, he doesn't have the flair, accelaration or creativity of a winger, but has the touch, finishing and composure of the very best strikers. Right now he can't play as our no.9 as it requires a lot more than the skills he currently possesses. Playing him on the wings allows him more time and less pressure to fill out his game. It's like RVP at Arsenal. In addition to this, he is not yet as good as players like Martial in that position, whereas on the right flank, there is little competition at the moment.

KennyBurner

Two footed deadly poacher. Should start playing more central now that we have Bruno.
He doesn't have the athleticism to lead the line. Its been said a million times already. He is perfect as an inside forward for now till he develops like rashford did. Its also perfect for us because we dont have any skilled players that can operate on the right. The only player who can is mata but it would be playing with a man down.

Ole needs to give him more games at this point. I get we need to protect him but he should get a lot more minutes than he currently gets.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What do people feel Greenwood's best position is? Right wing or striker?
It's always the position he isn't playing at the moment. He is doing very well right wide but people are sure he will work the best through thr middle. Once he plays there people will call him to play on the right, in his natural position.

Status
Not open for further replies.