5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny_1248

It's still mental to me how in all those years under SAF the academy did not produce one star striker and now we have Rashford and Greenwood.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's still mental to me how in all those years under SAF the academy did not produce one star striker and now we have Rashford and Greenwood.
Timing and luck is everything too. Rossi was certainly good enough, but perhaps had better players ahead of him and sustained injuries at the worst time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Perhaps I'm overrating him but I'd be surprised if he's not our starting striker within a season or two.

laughtersassassin

Perhaps I'm overrating him but I'd be surprised if he's not our starting striker within a season or two.
It's very possible considering on performances alone he has been our best right sided player this season. There is an argument that until we sign a right winger he should be in the starting 11 over there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s certainly possible, but not entirely dependent on him. Martial has a lot of ability, and is young himself. If he goes up a gear or more, he may keep the door wedges shut.

That said, I agree that at some point Greenwood will likely get in, and stay in. We could buy Sancho and he flop for all we know, and Greenwood could become a fixture from the right.

Web of Bissaka

Are they strikers though with the first team ?
Only Rashford -- started as a star striker, then sort of remain that way but his growth there is limited, he's now a star winger/forward.
Greenwood is a star RW/RF, and occasionally striker.

---

Matters of "consequences" and right timings, and quality.

During SAF,
Rossi came the closest.. and then Macheda, sort of.
  • Rossi had RVN and especially Rooney in front of him, no chance. After Ruud left, he weren't willing to be patient anymore understandably.
  • I don't feel Macheda is special but yeah, many fans do. Striker department were open at that time but he didn't grab it. Welbeck grabbed his chances but he wasn't a star striker.
Rashford had it the easiest during LVG, almost zero competition. Rooney at midfield, Martial shafted to left wing. Wilson failed.
Greenwood similarly given his chances after Lukaku and Sanchez left plus with RW still a problem, opening up the slot at CF and RW.

Dante

Average bang
It's getting close to the point where I think Greenwood is our best CF in every category. Ighalo is stronger and Martial is faster, but that's about it.

I know that people will bring up the idea of 'experience'. But his maturity and decision making are already two of his big strengths. They'll get better, no doubt. But I don't think Mason's far off his competition in either regard.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's getting close to the point where I think Greenwood is our best CF in every category. Ighalo is stronger and Martial is faster, but that's about it.

I know that people will bring up the idea of 'experience'. But his maturity and decision making are already two of his big strengths. They'll get better, no doubt. But I don't think Mason's far off his competition in either regard.
Greenwood is probably a slightly better finisher than Martial, but other than that I don’t think he can claim to be better at him than anything else at the moment. That said, finishing is not a small thing, but Martial is a brilliant finisher himself too.

UpWithRivers

I still dont get his best position. In our set up with a front 3 Im not sure he is best suited to the number 9. He likes to run at defenders. More a second striker. I think he would be brilliant in the old fashioned set up with two up top, next to a old fashioned number 9. Like a Shearer. Those who watched him the reserves more than me where would he best fit? Fernandes position? But he doesnt have the passing range of a number 10.

Remember the geese

I still dont get his best position. In our set up with a front 3 Im not sure he is best suited to the number 9. He likes to run at defenders. More a second striker. I think he would be brilliant in the old fashioned set up with two up top, next to a old fashioned number 9. Like a Shearer. Those who watched him the reserves more than me where would he best fit? Fernandes position? But he doesnt have the passing range of a number 10.
He will ply his trade mainly out wide for a year or two, getting games as a number 9 here and there. By that point he will be ready to put Martial under serious pressure. All in my opinion of course. It's equally possible that he could make that right sided forward position his own, just as Rashford has on the left. This would mean no Sancho though. Either way, we have great options. Also, his passing range is very good.

romufc

This is why I am against signing another ST. If Ole manages to give Greenwood some minutes before the end of the season, we could have formidable attack next.

Stacks

huh?

Greenwood is probably a slightly better finisher than Martial, but other than that I don’t think he can claim to be better at him than anything else at the moment. That said, finishing is not a small thing, but Martial is a brilliant finisher himself too.
chalk it down to excitement

Would love to see him as a second striker. Giuseppe Rossi/Van Persie

MetoTTT

Really hope the lad will make the next big step in his developpement next season. Fingers crossed. It'll be great to have him as starter one day at United standards. Martial needs competition too.

romufc

Really hope the lad will make the next big step in his developpement next season. Fingers crossed. It'll be great to have him as starter one day at United standards. Martial needs competition too.
Same here. I would love to see him develop over the next 2 months and come back next season fighting for the starting place with Martial.

Raven

Madness.

Skills

Snitch
Is he? Martial is deadly in front of goal.

Both Mason and especially Rashford are better shooters outside of the box though. One thing I wish Martial improved on, because he would be frightening then.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Both Mason and especially Rashford are better shooters outside of the box though. One thing I wish Martial improved on, because he would be frightening then.
Yeh, I think Greenwood is a slightly better finisher but that is absolutely no slight on Martial who I think is also an excellent finisher himself. Its high Praise but Greenwood is just ice cold anywhere around the box and I know that when I'm watching I'm sat hoping a chance lands to him. I've rarely seen such a natural finisher, especially at such a young age which is what leads me to think he's bound to end up as a centre forward once he fills out more.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

Martial has great finishing but Greenwoods is something else. You just always expect him to put it straight into the corner.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Greenwood is a better finisher than Martial(which is testament to the kid given Martial himself is a terrific finisher) but he's not a better CF than him. Martial is simply better than him as an overall footballer and CF right now.

Heck in the league there is no one who is as natural and as gifted a finisher as Greenwood. His left foot is something truly special.

Also am I the only one who clearly sees that Greenwood's strongest foot is his left one? I keep seeing people saying they can't tell when it looks so obvious to me :lol:

El Zoido

Greenwood is a better finisher than Martial(which is testament to the kid given Martial himself is a terrific finisher) but he's not a better CF than him. Martial is simply better than him as an overall footballer and CF right now.

Heck in the league there is no one who is as natural and as gifted a finisher as Greenwood. His left foot is something truly special.

Also am I the only one who clearly sees that Greenwood's strongest foot is his left one? I keep seeing people saying they can't tell when it looks so obvious to me :lol:
I agree but I think Greenwood will overtake Martial next season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

To be fair, a lot of that comes from the people who watched him for the youth, when he played there it really was difficult to tell. Since he made the step up to the first team he's definitely preferred his left foot, but he plays on the right a lot so it's easier to cut inside on his left which makes sense as to why he'd prefer it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t subscribe to the Athletic but the bit I can see states that the 3kg he’s put on is “all in his triceps, biceps and quads” Which is a fecking ridiculous thing to claim tbh. Makes me suspect the writer has pulled most of that article out of his arse.

The Ole quotes are encouraging though.

He looked genuinely balanced on both sides (favoring his left slightly more when carrying the ball) in the academy. I think he even scored more right footed goals than left last season. Since being promoted though, he's definitely reverted more to his left. It's definitely his stronger foot, and I think he's favoring it because he just has less time at the top level. He's also usually playing on the right where favoring his left is just much more natural as an inside forward. But I think as he gets more comfortable and confident in the first team he'll start using his right more and become more of the two-footed threat we say in the youth.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looked genuinely balanced on both sides (favoring his left slightly more when carrying the ball) in the academy. I think he even scored more right footed goals than left last season. Since being promoted though, he's definitely reverted more to his left. It's definitely his stronger foot, and I think he's favoring it because he just has less time at the top level. He's also usually playing on the right where favoring his left is just much more natural as an inside forward. But I think as he gets more comfortable and confident in the first team he'll start using his right more and become more of the two-footed threat we say in the youth.
He's definitely playing safer at the moment, he usually does a lot more tricks and dribbles at Reserve team level, but in the mens he's just kept it simple with pass and moving.

Eventually once he feels " at home " and not the young kid he will be frightening IMO.

People will see that he is actually very quick also once he's settled into the league properly. This break could have done him the world of good to improve physically.

He's definitely playing safer at the moment, he usually does a lot more tricks and dribbles at Reserve team level, but in the mens he's just kept it simple with pass and moving.

Eventually once he feels " at home " and not the young kid he will be frightening IMO.

People will see that he is actually very quick also once he's settled into the league properly. This break could have done him the world of good to improve physically.
Absolutely, he's been reduced to a pure finisher with decent pace by some people this season, even if most are very high on him. I'm so excited and hopeful for him to show his full arsenal and get some more chances at CF. Let's not forget the lad is playing his first season of pro football at 18, and out of position at that. He still seems scared to give the ball away or make a mistake sometimes. Finishing is obviously his standout attribute, but his dribbling, movement and linkup are also class. Where he's truly been lacking and what I think will allow him to unlock more of his game at the top level is his physique, being so slight makes it harder for him to separate from experienced players. Looks like he's already bulking up slightly, so as long he doesn't go overboard there I think we'll see a hell of a well rounded player in a year or so.

romufc

It does look like it, playing within himself. The problem is that whenever he is brought on, we are either 1 down or drawing so we are looking for goals, putting pressure on the players.

So once he gets involved in the team alot more and as you say becomes comfortable in the first team environment, he will shine.

Maybe putting a bit of muscle and bullying a few defenders might give him that confidence.

He'sRaldo

I recall him doing a few casual roulettes. Not the showoff kind, more the quick-thinking kind.

Was surprised that not much was made of that, they were perfectly executed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I recall him doing a few casual roulettes. Not the showoff kind, more the quick-thinking kind.

Was surprised that not much was made of that, they were perfectly executed.
Yeah what he did against Inter Milan in pre season was more of the "cocky" Greenwood we know about, but mens football seems to thrown down on tricks like that.

I do think Ole and the coaches would have said just keep it simple, dont give it away etc. Eventually he will get passed that and play more naturally.

He'sRaldo

Yeah what he did against Inter Milan in pre season was more of the "cocky" Greenwood we know about, but mens football seems to thrown down on tricks like that.

I do think Ole and the coaches would have said just keep it simple, dont give it away etc. Eventually he will get passed that and play more naturally.
Most likely, the same way the Rashford of right now is much flashier than the debut season Rashford.

I just hope he ends up with top level physicality as well, that one is probably the hardest to really predict.

tjb

Most likely, the same way the Rashford of right now is much flashier than the debut season Rashford.

I just hope he ends up with top level physicality as well, that one is probably the hardest to really predict.
Players eventually return to the way they played in youth teams the higher they progress, as the techniques, confidence and experiences needed to make those skills effective at the top level need to be perfected. Some players never manage to do it, as the game at the top level is too fast, but for most talented youngster, it eventually happens in this way. It's similar to the NBA. Young players usually become top players from their third season onwards. There are very few players who come in great as rookies, and even great second year players are rather rare.

Handré1990

I don’t subscribe to the Athletic but the bit I can see states that the 3kg he’s put on is “all in his triceps, biceps and quads” Which is a fecking ridiculous thing to claim tbh. Makes me suspect the writer has pulled most of that article out of his arse.

It said that?! :lol:

Utdstar01

There are machines that can calculate that tbf. Assuming their information is correct.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There are machines that can calculate that tbf. Assuming their information is correct.
Yeah, but, if it was that easy...

There’s no way Greenwood managed to isolate three muscles and gain 3KG specifically in those areas. Especially in lockdown. He definitely filled up a little in a muscular sense, I think that’s evident in his build, but like Pogue says the number seems plucked from nowhere.

Utdstar01

There’s no way Greenwood managed to isolate three muscles and gain 3KG specifically in those areas. Especially in lockdown. He definitely filled up a little in a muscular sense, I think that’s evident in his build, but like Pogue says the number seems plucked from nowhere.
No of course. You'd think there would be more of a balance. He definitely looks wider in his shoulders.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

No of course. You'd think there would be more of a balance. He definitely looks wider in his shoulders.
If he’s following a proper routine (which you’d expect, as a professional athlete) then he’ll be working all the major muscle groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.