Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

It didn't break Cristiano.
Cristiano was huge and could handle it, Im not saying Mason cant, but why take the gamble?

If it goes well, it hardly changes anything besides the romantic and commercial part, if it goes wrong we could feck the biggest talent from our academy since class of 92.

Not a lot to win and a hell lot to lose.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Cristiano was huge and could handle it, Im not saying Mason cant, but why take the gamble?

If it goes well, it hardly changes anything besides the romantic and commercial part, if it goes wrong we could feck the biggest talent from our academy since class of 93.

Not a lot to win and a hell lot to lose.
I don't know, I don't really see it as a gamble. I see in Greenwood just a prodigious talent and nonchalance. And I'd love to see him wear the #7.

lex talionis

Of course none of us know the boy personally, but I don't think he gives a crap about the #7, and if were pressed on it I doubt he would take it. Give the #7 to Sancho and give Greenwood the #11, if we really need to upgrade him from #26.

amsoUG

Incredible how much Mason grew, both as a player and as a man, during the break.

I still want to bring in Sancho, but if that fell through I’d be very comfortable handing Greenwood the keys to our attack. Substantially superior to Martial and Rashford already. Mind-boggling to think how great he already is, and with his mentality, will be.
Mason while he is good, he has been massively overrated because he is English. Shooting is not enough to rank his talent above Martial's. Even if he has 2 good feet, he is still predictable and has one style of shooting/finishing. Too overrated and when defenders study his game, he will be nullified easily. Check next season. OGS needs Sancho.

Womp

idiot
I beg to differ. His level "dropped" along with the whole team that was physically exhausted. Didn't stop him bailing us out when everyone was waiting for a miracle a few times post restart. For me, he is our most talented player. And I think in attack he looks our most composed and levelheaded player.
I don't agree. In games such as against Palace etc. he was completely out of the game, whilst Rashford and Martial still performed/got us over the line. This insistence on forcing so much expectation on the kid is baffling to me. He isn't the first youngster to come in and make a big impact, only for their impact to dwindle next season etc. I'm not doubting his ability, but he has so much to learn about the game. He's shown to struggle when defenders get rough with him/pay attention to him etc. These are things you only learn through experience. Putting so much expectation on him might be to his detriment imo, especially next season when there's no reason we can't be competing for major honours, with the correct recruitment.

He will get plenty of game time and learn his trade, and eventually be our starting striker imo, but going into a season with someone who just turned 18 with barely half a season of top flight experience is risky. Not many kids can maintain that level without dips in performance as they learn their trade.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Mason Greenwood has outperformed his XG by 178% this season... WOW!

Next highest:
KDB 65%
Harry Kane 59%
Anthony Martial 55%

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some people are sounding like Gary Neville in this thread. Mason is incredibly talented and probably the most lethal and cleanest shooter of a ball I've seen in quite some times, especially for his age but in no way does that make his talent above someone like Martial who has simply a better overall game. Outside of striking the ball Mason has a way to go before being compared to a Martial in his first season with us who showed better everything else.

And for posts claiming that Mason is currently head and shoulder above Martial and Rashford and has shown technique beyond them, I can't even bother getting into that one :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Mason while he is good, he has been massively overrated because he is English. Shooting is not enough to rank his talent above Martial's. Even if he has 2 good feet, he is still predictable and has one style of shooting/finishing. Too overrated and when defenders study his game, he will be nullified easily. Check next season. OGS needs Sancho.
Pure nonsense!

Lynty

I agree.

Perhaps not 'massively' overrated, as he's clearly a special talent. But he isn't superior to Martial or Rashford yet - and it would be unfair to expect him to be.

DannyDee

Of course none of us know the boy personally, but I don't think he gives a crap about the #7, and if were pressed on it I doubt he would take it. Give the #7 to Sancho and give Greenwood the #11, if we really need to upgrade him from #26.
#19 is typically the number we have given to young strikers when they move into the first team from whatever previous number they were assigned. We gave it to Rashford, Wilson and Welbeck, and it's previously been worn by Dwight Yorke when we had that strong 4 man rotation of Strikers. I'd be fine with giving him #7 if he wants it, we gave it to Ronaldo right after Beckham despite him having less European first-team experience than Mason currently has.

I'm not particularly superstitious, so I don't believe the number would break him or make it more likely. I don't think it adds more pressure than what is already on him, which is being a young English star at Manchester United. That pressure will be huge regardless of what number you have. Just look at Fifa basically creating a Marcus Rashford mode right after his first season between his goals in Europa League, the 2 vs Arsenal, and then making the England Euro 2016 squad. I don't think it would have been possible for Rooney to feel more pressure even if he wore #8 and not #7 given his status after Euro 2004. I think the pressure due to the number is insignificant to what these guys already feel with the expectations performance-wise to live up to the media-hype that is there regardless of number, and them wanting to hold onto their position within the team.

lex talionis

The kid is good but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Admonition well taken, but a stronger adjective than just "good" to described Mason Greenwood is fully warranted.

We forum posters can easily carried away, so let's take a look at what someone who knows a thing or two about United attacking players, Dwight Yorke, has to say about Mason Greenwood:

"He is better than Rashford, looking at his record now. You got to understand though he is still 18, at a development stage. Having Ole there, he would guide him along the way."

What is impossible to deny is that since the restart Greenwood has been substantially better than Rashford. But we could attribute that to Rashford not being fully fit and Greenwood simply being on a hot streak while catching opponents unaware of how good he really is. Those are not strawman arguments but very real possibilities. Yet when we watch Greenwood perform we see a genuinely two-footed player, which can't be said of Rashford, and we see a forward who's a much cleaner striker of the ball than Rashford, at least inside the box.

As for Anthony Martial, his performances have improved substantially in the second of this season, it wasn't that long ago that most of the Caf (myself included) were drooling at the prospect of upgrading the 9 position with Haaland, as Martial had stagnated for a long time both under Mourinho and Ole. But he's in fantastic form now, and although most of us would rather have Haaland than Martial, it's pretty safe to say Martial wears the 9 quite well.

Some stats and then I'll wrap this up:

According to WhoScored, which I think is accepted as a reliable database, these are the minutes played this season and goals scored (and assists):

Greenwood
Total Minutes: 1773
Goals 18
Assists 2

98 minutes played per goal scored

Rashford

Total Minutes: 2170
Goals: 21
Assists: 7

136 minutes played per goal scored

Martial

Total Minutes: 2916
Goals: 22
Minutes: 6

132 minutes played per goal scored

Yes, let us refrain from getting ahead ourselves. But let's also acknowledge that we've seen with our own eyes a young footballer perform at an extraordinary level this season, score crucial goals for us during the restart, as did Martial no question, and turn in mature performances and not just moments of flash that led to a few surprise goals against unsuspecting defenders.

Gary Neville is quoted as having said yesterday "I think he’s intelligent on the pitch, can do things the other two can’t do, he’s a better finisher and I think he’ll end up taking that no. 9 spot in the next 12-18 months."

The last bit remains to be seen, but doubts Greenwood's ability are nonexistent and it seems highly unlikely that if we do bring in Sancho that Greenwood will be a super sub for United for years to come while he watches Rashford, Martial and Sancho steal the spotlight. If we do bring in Sancho, it's very easy to see Greenwood taking that no. 9 spot from Martial in the next 12-18 months. We shall see.

Neville completed his thoughts when he said "I think he [Greenwood]’s the best striker that Man Utd have and will score as many goals as he wants to. "He just has to keep fit and keep himself grounded and remember what he said, that football comes first." We shall see whether Greenwood keeps himself grounded and that football comes first, but he cuts the jib of mature footballer already will keep himself grounded and continue his progression.

lex talionis

#19 is typically the number we have given to young strikers when they move into the first team from whatever previous number they were assigned. We gave it to Rashford, Wilson and Welbeck, and it's previously been worn by Dwight Yorke when we had that strong 4 man rotation of Strikers. I'd be fine with giving him #7 if he wants it, we gave it to Ronaldo right after Beckham despite him having less European first-team experience than Mason currently has.

I'm not particularly superstitious, so I don't believe the number would break him or make it more likely. I don't think it adds more pressure than what is already on him, which is being a young English star at Manchester United. That pressure will be huge regardless of what number you have. Just look at Fifa basically creating a Marcus Rashford mode right after his first season between his goals in Europa League, the 2 vs Arsenal, and then making the England Euro 2016 squad. I don't think it would have been possible for Rooney to feel more pressure even if he wore #8 and not #7 given his status after Euro 2004. I think the pressure due to the number is insignificant to what these guys already feel with the expectations performance-wise to live up to the media-hype that is there regardless of number, and them wanting to hold onto their position within the team.
Good points. But I still think that because the #7 shirt in particular has such a mystique about it at Old Trafford that giving it Greenwood would add pressure he doesn't need piled on him. We'll see if Sancho does come to OT, but if he does the 7 would seem to be a perfect fit for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's not "overrated" because he's English, he's fairly rated because he's scored 17 goals in his debut season (which he started at 17 years of age, I might add) with a chance to add even more. Every time someone parrots something like that I'm going to assume you're underrating them because they're English.

I don't get why people try and reduce Greenwood down to just a finisher, he's obviously so much more than that, just because he has an outstanding attribute doesn't mean it's his only attribute. There's a number of legitimate reasons for people to rate his talent above Martial's: his crossing, passing and technique are all excellent, he's ambipedal, he's a strong dribbler, he's got good vision and yes, he's an outstanding finisher. Only thing you got right in this post was that we still need Sancho.

Drainy

there's always one

Lam

Those who think MG is overrated, can you pl tell 18-21 old strikers who are better than MG by some margin? (Sincere question)

There are many aspects of a strikers game which defenders can negate and good defenders will definitely do it, but MGs finishing is something which cannot be nullified. It’s an natural ability, just like rvn and rvp. Everyone knew their game, but they just had that technique and instinct to keep doing it year after year. If MG is fit enough and keeps working sincerely, then he’ll beat Rooney’s record before he turns 30.

edcunited1878

If Greenwood continues to improve and remains consistent, it's not Martial who will sit. It's Rashford assuming Sancho comes to United.

As far as if Greenwood is overrated, I think you cannot say that at all until we see how next season goes and how else his game goes. If he sustains his levels next year or improves. We need to see his floor and how he impacts games when he doesn't score. If he scores less but assists more or contributes more to the build up, then what's overrated about that?

Too early to say he's overrated because you have nothing to overrate him on. He's rated and that's abundantly clear. For example, it's clear to us now after a few seasons and proper challenges that Dele Alli is overrated. Tammy Abraham was getting a lot of hype and excitement during the first half of the year, but has been relatively quiet the second half of the year with Giroud playing a more central role in the team. Now it's up to Abraham to show whether or not he's was overrated or just overhyped (overhyped is my opinion). And depending on Chelsea's formation, he may not start as the CF if Werner comes in and is flanked by Pulisic, Ziyach, and Havertz.

El-Manos

I fear you’ll be in the newbies for a while.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Greenwood being a real deal and a rare talent is as true as it gets. I'm one of those who knows that English players are generally overrated, especially young ones coming through. Everything they do is amplified and made a bigger deal than it is but Greenwood is different. He's actually one of the few English young players whose hype make complete sense. He is that talented.

He is only overrated in the sense where you see posts claiming that he's better(let alone substantially better :lol:) than Martial and Rashford. Then again it's just a few over exited posters in this thread and Gary Neville, so I wouldn't say Greenwood is overrated, he's rightly rated. Him being raved about is justified because he's that good.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
:lol:

Stojan Stamenic

I hope that in coming months he will continue to improve physically, especially his acceleration when running with ball. Sancho did that after his first year in Dortmund, it would be very important for Mason's career if he continues to play in that RWF position.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Lets be honest,if Greenwood wasn't English he'd be cleaning bar tables in a manky club in Moss Side.

KennyBurner

Mason Greenwood has outperformed his XG by 178% this season... WOW!

Next highest:
KDB 65%
Harry Kane 59%
Anthony Martial 55%
Don’t pay too much attention to that. Good players do remarkable things that others can’t. The way I see it that’s a good sign we have a great player in the making.

Harry Kanes second goal against Leicester is evidence of why XG is not perfect. Other strikers in that position wouldn’t be able to hit the ball as well. For me it’s nice seeing greenwood and martial up there.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Those who think MG is overrated, can you pl tell 18-21 old strikers who are better than MG by some margin? (Sincere question)
In that age bracket, outside of Mbappe and Haaland, I don't think anyone else has a claim over Greenwood.

Tony247

He really is something.
That was ubelievable. I was totally awestruck watching that. It was tough to pull, I mean reeeeeally tough in your own box when two opposition players shadowing you. Slightest mistake and could concede goal. Sign of a highly talented and equally confident player.

Not just this but throughout the game he played way beyond his years, without looking tired. I was surprised Ole chose to replace him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That was ubelievable. I was totally awestruck watching that. It was tough to pull, I mean reeeeeally tough in your own box when two opposition players shadowing you. Slightest mistake and could concede goal. Sign of a highly talented and equally confident player.

Not just this but throughout the game he played way beyond his years, without looking tired. I was surprised Ole chose to replace him.
Agreed and how many times do you see young lads just retreat into their shell and never show that kind of confidence. Just shows he’s fully confident in his own ability to make hard things look easy.

simplyared

Wasting him would be leaving him in the reserves like most other 18 year olds. :lol: what a stupid post
Stupid post? Say the feck you like. We've seen the incredible talent and skills Greenwood has. In the last 3 games he's been quite ineffective to the point he's been subbed off. The lad's that good we should be playing to his strengths. Wan Bissaka must get his act together going forward so we can do that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Stupid post? Say the feck you like. We've seen the incredible talent and skills Greenwood has. In the last 3 games he's been quite ineffective to the point he's been subbed off. The lad's that good we should be playing to his strengths. Wan Bissaka must get his act together going forward so we can do that.
He’s 18, inconsistency is normal at a young age.

Most kids don’t even get to play regularly at the 1st team let alone be a regular starter for a club as big as united!

simplyared

This must be one of the worst posts all year.

Considering we went through Brexit, a global pandemic and Liverpool winning the league, there have been some seriously bad posts to contend with.

It’s not even worth going through a rebuttal as others have already done this, and it would just be far too easy.

Appalling post, congratulations.
Your post, my friend is pretty dire. You can at least back up your comments and give me a fecking chance to fight my corner.

mav_9me

He really is something.
Yeah that was sensational. There was another touch, a long crossfield pass to him on right wing with defender closing him. Instant first touch control.

The consistency of his first touch is a key attribute that showcases his flawless technique.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A review of Mason’s breakthrough and what the future holds...

Alemar

If Greenwood continues to improve and remains consistent, it's not Martial who will sit. It's Rashford assuming Sancho comes to United.
Yes, that is the likely outcome. Rashford will still play a lot of games, though

fergieisold

Some people are sounding like Gary Neville in this thread. Mason is incredibly talented and probably the most lethal and cleanest shooter of a ball I've seen in quite some times, especially for his age but in no way does that make his talent above someone like Martial who has simply a better overall game. Outside of striking the ball Mason has a way to go before being compared to a Martial in his first season with us who showed better everything else.

And for posts claiming that Mason is currently head and shoulder above Martial and Rashford and has shown technique beyond them, I can't even bother getting into that one :lol:
I'm not sure...I think Mason has great overall potential, he's not just scoring goals he's creating them and linking with the team well.

crossy1686

career ending

So all the coaching staff at United and the coaches he's had growing up through the years are wrong and you're right based on a few games you've watched him play in the PL this year?

By all accounts, they're all saying talent and ability-wise he'll go on to have a career like Rooney, and you're saying he won't be better than Martial?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So all the coaching staff at United and the coaches he's had growing up through the years are wrong and you're right based on a few games you've watched him play in the PL this year?

By all accounts, they're all saying talent and ability-wise he'll go on to have a career like Rooney, and you're saying he won't be better than Martial?
Both can still be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.