5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheato

Good to see him back, he needed the rest TBF. Last season was a long haul and this season won't be much easier. We saw tonight the strength of our attacking options and Cavani was a shrewd signing, but there is still a place for Mason with his devastating quality in front of goal. He will learn so much from playing with Cavani, and all four strikers are needed in the season we have ahead. I thought he was going to take to roof off the net, then he calmly passed it into James for a simple finish. Good on Mason, he's gonna be the main man one day.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
I love the selfishness in him, proper number 9 only one thing in his mind when he sees the sticks.

We need a bit more of that mentality

tjb

I really like him. Even tonight. He hunted for possession, was good with his link up play, and even when he lost possession, a lot of his play had intent. It's been like this from him since June, and when you add the fact that we all know that he has end product already, I'm amazed that we are still tuning him in slowly to the team.

I'm also annoyed at the narrative being pushed of a second season drop off. He hasn't had the game time to even contemplate that idea. Yet he's being pushed as petulent and dropping off despite almost no evidence of that happening. If we want consistency in the side, we have to put faith in players that have skills that can be produced consistently, Greenwood simply in his finishing already has that to add to the rest of his now fleshed out game. People will criticize his eagerness and call it selfishness and wasteful, but the fact that he's fighting to get in those positions and make things happen is why it's exciting.

hungrywing

Touch of immaturity in that performance. Clearly was desperate for a goal to silence the critics, and put himself ahead of the team at times because of it.

Picked the right decision for the James goal though and lets hope he can play himself back into the side ASAP.
Very well-put, imo.

Betson

Good to see him back , looked lively and decent performance from him.

Sometimes you forget how young he actually is until you don't see him for few weeks and then realize that he is still growing and looks bigger each time you see him. Looks to have it all , skill , speed and physically getting stronger and stronger with each month.

Devil may care

Silky, nice assist, should have had another but man I just want this kid to fulfill his potential, so naturally gifted.

cyberman

I love the selfishness in him, proper number 9 only one thing in his mind when he sees the sticks.

We need a bit more of that mentality
Yep. Ole probably told him to go on and get yourself a goal anyway so i dont think the direct selfishness was misplaced.
Everybody else giving each other pens to break their ducks but Mason was out there trying to smash through it

Name Changed

weso26
Touch of immaturity in that performance. Clearly was desperate for a goal to silence the critics, and put himself ahead of the team at times because of it.

Picked the right decision for the James goal though and lets hope he can play himself back into the side ASAP.
Totally agree.

drmuji

He was too desperate for the goal. Didn't look up when he had chances. And it's not like that he can't do that, his technique is such that he always has time on the ball.
But because of desperation to put up a performance for everyone to notice, he wasn't looking at anyone else. I think, with time he would mature himself not to get bothered by things happening in papers and on message boards.
He had great opportunity to give the ball back to Cavani but he just had one agenda.
He will learn for sure

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What I liked about his cameo is how he learned that forcing the issue isn't the best solution, he showed greed by wanting to finish in situations he could/should have passed but that assist showed he knew he was wrong with those decisions and did the most efficient thing to get his team a goal

zenith

It's great to see him back on the pitch and with an assist, especially after the torrid time he has had in personal life. Anyone, who has witnessed a personal tragedy would know that it is impossible to focus on work for weeks. Imagine the pressure on a kid with all the media around him.

Just hope ole can help him out of this time and slowly get him back on the path he was on.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He’s picking up in terms of speed which is scary to see.

SSSSnake

Great cameo and showed a lot of quality on that right side. Need him to push to be starting now. Missing his goals since Martial has stuttered in that department.

romufc

Maturity will come, I am sure the experienced lads would have had a word with him after saying, we get you need a goal but the team should always come first.

I don't think he would have done that if the score was 1-0 or 0-0. We saw at the end where he could have gone himself but he passed to James.

youngrell

There were a few moments where passing was the better option, but it was quite clearly down to him wanting to impress. He's been on the outside looking in most of the season and there's even further competition for places so you can understand his desire to get on the scoresheet.

Did very well to get in so many promising positions in his short cameo. Will improve once he sharpens up, too.

RedIan

Thought he looked really good when he came on. Not sure why we need to spend 90m on sancho when we have mason. Id much rather we spent on a W/C centre half and a W/C DM

Sea-Cow

Didn't catch the match unfortunately so can't comment on it specifically, but I don't care in the slightest if he is a bit selfish when we're up 3-0 at home. He is a goal scorer and he should try to score as many as possible.

I don't think he will ever have the pace of a prime Michael Owen, but if he could just improve his quickness and his "burst" a bit, I think he could be incredible.

Andersons Dietician

Maturity will come, I am sure the experienced lads would have had a word with him after saying, we get you need a goal but the team should always come first.

I don't think he would have done that if the score was 1-0 or 0-0. We saw at the end where he could have gone himself but he passed to James.
I‘m pretty sure both Cavani and Martial did on the pitch. One of them shouted his name and both were holding out their hands with why didn’t you pass gestures. I just find it strange that Rashford does the same and neither seemed to show the same frustrations with him.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What an absolute player. I don’t think we’ll see anyone this talented out of the united academy for at least another 10 years. Wow. I repeat this each time - there will come a game where he scores 4 goals and it will feel normal

kidbob

Just watched the game and the fact is that he should be our starting right winger until we sign a replacement so he can move into his proper CF position. Selfish? Shut the hell up. Remember Ronaldo at 19 anyone, with his fannying around stepovers? The fact is that the kid is special. Think of how good Rashford is (and he is bloody good) and this kid has the potential to be 2 or 3 levels above that. Has everything you'd want in an attacking player already (including a good eye for a pass and execution of said pass) and is only bloody 19 years old. The lad is a certain starter in my eyes already and the only question is when we sign Sancho so we can move Mason to his rightful position.

Rossa

He looks much, much quicker than he did a year ago. At that time, I feared that he might just be a little too slow. Now he looks on Martial's level, if not faster.

As for him being a little greedy (but why the need to call him a tw@t?), could it be that he was instructed to enjoy himself and express himself and try to score a goal? In the end, he looked up and served a ball on a plate for James.

pascell

Didn't catch the match unfortunately so can't comment on it specifically, but I don't care in the slightest if he is a bit selfish when we're up 3-0 at home. He is a goal scorer and he should try to score as many as possible.

I don't think he will ever have the pace of a prime Michael Owen, but if he could just improve his quickness and his "burst" a bit, I think he could be incredible.
He's still growing into his body only being 19 but the boy is fast, very fast. If you get chance go watch the highlights, when he knocks the ball inside of the defender and runs around him, you'll see he's very quick.

If he can learn from Cavani about movement in and around the box, he's going to break all sorts of records at United if he stays injury free.

MileStolar

Find highlights on YouTube, in his first play when he came on be looked absolutely rapid, skinned the defender and made a bit of a panic in their box. It looks as he has improved a lot in that regard since he broke into the first team. I can't recall a player improving physically as fast as this guy, he's so much stronger and faster than he was a year ago!

snk123

Can someone please post his cameo here so that we can see how incredibly selfish he was? If it was Rashford, we'd be slating him for not picking the pass. Mason was piss poor apart from the assist.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Can someone please post his cameo here so that we can see how incredibly selfish he was? If it was Rashford, we'd be slating him for not picking the pass. Mason was piss poor apart from the assist.
Jesus Christ :lol:

Himannv

I think he showed a fair bit of pace when he came on. Beat an opposition player for pace a couple of times I think to get past him.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He wasn't 1v1 vs the keeper. That pass was the only sensible decision he made in 30 minutes.
He had scored loads of goals from a similar position. It's not as if he has a problem going past players with the ball.

bsCallout

Incredible that we have one striker that doesnt over complicate things and he's being called a greedy tw**.

We were 3-0 up, he's not scored many recently and he's been bullied in the media.

No doubt Ole told him to go and get his goal.

Then he laid it off despite being in the final minutes of the game, wanting a goal and being able to go it alone.

Lewnited

I really like the drive and determination he showed to be honest, the fact that going a few games without a goal and some criticism has him that motivated shows exactly why he'll go on to do well.
On a side note, he again seemed to look much stronger and quicker when he came on - his physical improvement has been pretty impressive over the past two years.

Strelok

I was of the opinion that he was two years away from being ready. But now it would be much sooner I think.

Imo he's not a winger. He lacks the flair, dribbling ability to take on defenders, crossing and his game is a bit too simple to play there. But he'll be a hell of a striker. Imo he lacks only the necessary strength and experience at the top level to be our main #9.

We should look to hire some fitness guy from Bayern I think.

HowYouDoin

Of course he is not a winger, everbody knows that. He shouldnt be sacrificed and play there for Martial either as he already is comfortably better than Martial IMO. Martial is more of a winger than Greenwood.

Anywho one thing that caught my attention is how he is developing physically. Looks stronger and faster all the time and it still doesnt look like hes filled out. Physically he is still not exactly a grown man. He will be a beast in about a year.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I was of the opinion that he was two years away from being ready. But now it would be much sooner I think.

Imo he's not a winger. He lacks the flair, dribbling ability to take on defenders, crossing and his game is a bit too simple to play there. But he'll be a hell of a striker. Imo he lacks only the necessary strength and experience at the top level to be our main #9.

We should look to hire some fitness guy from Bayern I think.

I've said it before but he's keeping his game simple at the moment, he showed fantastic dribbling ability in the youth teams. His crossing's quite good as well, he even got an assist from a cross for Fernandes against Brighton last season. Not that I think he should play as a traditional winger either, there's just a lot more to his game that he's still yet to showcase.

HowYouDoin

Correct me if Im wrong but he never played as a winger before. We just tried him there cuz he is two footed and it worked which just tells you that he is a really really good player but we never actually played him at his natural position.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Correct me if Im wrong but he never played as a winger before. We just tried him there cuz he is two footed and it worked which just tells you that he is a really really good player but we never actually played him at his natural position.
He played quite a few positions while playing for the U18s, mainly as a striker though. @Beaucoup and @jb8521 might be able to share some more insight into what positions he played before he moved up to the U18s.

HowYouDoin

He played quite a few positions while playing for the U18s, mainly as a striker though. @Beaucoup and @jb8521 might be able to share some more insight into what positions he played before he moved up to the U18s.
My point is from what I know about him I never heard anyone ever say he is a winger.
We gave so many players so many chances at all different positions trying to get the best out of them, you would think someone like Mason who is already a proven goal scorer would get a run at what is obviously his natural position.

Status
Not open for further replies.