Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well, Mbappe was 20 for most of the season you’ve used as reference. He also played for a team that scored 145 goals to the 110 we mustered last season. He also played a lot more minutes and most of his games up front. Not really a fair comparison there.
Well its impossible to have everyone birthday on the same month to compare, as we can only comparing the players stats by season.

For Mbappe case his birthday is in 20th of December, so during season 18-19, he has around half of the season (from Aug to Dec) playing as 19, the other half (from Jan to May) playing as 20. Even we move back a season earlier, during season 17-18 (when he was 18-19), he still scored 21 goals in 44 games, end up 4th place in Ballon D'or at the end of year 2018, which is far better than Greenwood doing at the moment.

For Greenwood case, his birthday is in 1st of October, as we have COVID year and the season only begins in late Sept, he basically plays the whole season as 19 year old. He has 2 goals in 11 games and struggling to start on the pitch on current form, ever since he is 19.

But to be fair it still early too judge so we may leave until end of season to compare again.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
A lot of people are being really biased when highlighting statistics. Greenwood has barely started games this season. How can you compare a player that has started maybe 4 times and has been coming on with only 20 minutes left, with players that start full games in a centre forward role. Greenwood hasn't hit a snag in his development, he just hasn't played enough
He barely started games because of his poor form. He started 5 games for us this season, play poorly and only scored 1 goals from the 5 starts.
If "barely started games" can be used as an excuse, then we shouldn't criticise Pogba at all this season too (only 5 starts this season, same as Greenwood, but at least Pogba can also use COVID as an excuse)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
feck sake this is some next level knit picking.

Can @RedRonaldo also include Ronaldo in this lame comparison who spent a lot of his teenage years showing us half a braincell and pointlessly falling over after a few step overs? He was of course a huge talent, was a brilliant player for us and I'm exaggerating to make a point, but it just goes to show that every player develops differently. Rooney was a much better teenager but eventually not as good a footballer.

amolbhatia50k

Btw greenwood has two goals and two assists. Interesting that assists are counted for Sancho but not Greenwood. Really wonder why.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Btw greenwood has two goals and two assists. Interesting that assists are counted for Sancho but not Greenwood. Really wonder why.
Because Sancho has nearly 20 assists so it'd worth mentioning. If Greenwood get 10-20 assist by end of season, sure will get mentioned alot.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
feck sake this is some next level knit picking.

Can @RedRonaldo also include Ronaldo in this lame comparison who spent a lot of his teenage years showing us half a braincell and pointlessly falling over after a few step overs? He was of course a huge talent, was a brilliant player for us and I'm exaggerating to make a point, but it just goes to show that every player develops differently. Rooney was a much better teenager but eventually not as good a footballer.
You need to read this whole thing again, as you are getting it all wrong.

Point being, Greenwood are being hyped as teenage generational talent last season, when he was being compared with Mbappe, Haaland, L.Ronaldo, Owen, Rooney etc during their teenage years. But those players mentioned has developed even further when they are 19 etc, while Greenwood hasn't, at least so far up to this point.

Messi and Ronaldo was never mentioned in the same tier as those mentioned in their teenage years, they are never included as the best generational type of teenage talent comparable to those players, as their insane development only starts at around age 21-23.

Basically I am only comparing "tier 1" teenage talents, Greenwood isn't up to this rank. Not saying he won't be great in future, as I 've already mentioned before, and I am repeating for the 3rd or 4th time here: he could still be GOAT in future, but thats not what my discussion is about, as I am only comparing teenage talents.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Well its impossible to have everyone birthday on the same month to compare, as we can only comparing the players stats by season.

For Mbappe case his birthday is in 20th of December, so during season 18-19, he has around half of the season (from Aug to Dec) playing as 19, the other half (from Jan to May) playing as 20. Even we move back a season earlier, during season 17-18 (when he was 18-19), he still scored 21 goals in 44 games, end up 4th place in Ballon D'or at the end of year 2018, which is far better than Greenwood doing at the moment.

For Greenwood case, his birthday is in 1st of October, as we have COVID year and the season only begins in late Sept, he basically plays the whole season as 19 year old. He has 2 goals in 11 games and struggling to start on the pitch on current form, ever since he is 19.

But to be fair it still early too judge so we may leave until end of season to compare again.
Compare them for a full season at the same age. Or their first full season. You wouldn’t do that because it would weaken your point though. Which was already weak as piss.

NK86

Well he is obviously very talented as shown last season as 18 year old. But this season so far, he hasn’t really impressed me much. Those other generational type of talented youngsters or wonderkid that are being compared with him last season, are all far ahead of him at age 19. For example:

Mbappe at age 19:
- 39 goals in 43 games
- scored 9 goals for France
- 4th place in Ballon D’or

Haaland at age 19:
- 44 goals in 40 games
- golden boy

Sancho at age 19:
- 20 goals 19 assist in 40 games

Rooney at age 19:
- 17 goals in 43 games
- young player of year, golden boy

Owen at age 19:
- 23 goals in 40 games
- player of year, golden boot

L.Ronaldo at age 19:
- 35 goals in 36 games
- league top scorer

Greenwood at age 19:
- 2 goals in 11 games
- struggle with form/performance
- struggle in starting line up

Not saying Greenwood isn’t great, as different player develop at different pace (for example Messi and Ronaldo develop at insane pace from 22-23 onwards, while many other youngster didn’t quite improve or even regress ever since their early peak form). But if compare with other best teenage talents, it seems Greenwood isn’t quite at same level.
Funny thing is that Sancho has like 3 goals in 11 appearances this season so far and is also struggling. But since he is 20, so he is fine to have a dip and not called out for "not developing", while Greenwood is now considered to not be improving. Bizarre line of thought that.

Also Haaland is leading the line for Dortmund while Greenwood is starting out wide for us, so completely unfair comparison.

tjb

He barely started games because of his poor form. He started 5 games for us this season, play poorly and only scored 1 goals from the 5 starts.
If "barely started games" can be used as an excuse, then we shouldn't criticise Pogba at all this season too (only 5 starts this season, same as Greenwood, but at least Pogba can also use COVID as an excuse)
That's crap. He has only had one bad game for us this season relative to other first team members, which was the Southampton match. Outside of that, literally every other idea of his performances has been based off of the media talking about him off the pitch. Pogba was actively terrible in games and costing us points when playing. There's an agenda here and its really sad that some of our fans have chosen to lap it up or even spread that idea

M16Red

He guy has just turned 19, hope he'll kick on this year.

I wouldnt swap him for any Liverpool youth player other than TAA at a push, if Liverpool offer all their youth players I'd still reject it.

I think there is one player I'd think about swapping him for, that is Saka but that is only because I'm a huge fan boi of him.

Massive talent Mason, I think we have alot of talent in our Unders I mean we're playing 16 year olds in the under 23's - I don't know where the drive is to move players up so quickly but it's interesting.

Threesus

He guy has just turned 19, hope he'll kick on this year.

I wouldnt swap him for any Liverpool youth player other than TAA at a push, if Liverpool offer all their youth players I'd still reject it.

I think there is one player I'd think about swapping him for, that is Saka but that is only because I'm a huge fan boi of him.

Massive talent Mason, I think we have alot of talent in our Unders I mean we're playing 16 year olds in the under 23's - I don't know where the drive is to move players up so quickly but it's interesting.
I don't think Liverpool want to sell TAA anytime soon. And you will swap him with Saka? I am sorry, but we have creative players like him dime a dozen in the academy, but a cold blooded finisher is a rare commodity. I back Mason to come to goal scoring form soon enough. It's just sophomore blues/increased media attention/dumb mistakes off-field that's unsettled him this season. I am pretty sure he would bag 20 goals this season.

M16Red

I don't think Liverpool want to sell TAA anytime soon. And you will swap him with Saka? I am sorry, but we have creative players like him dime a dozen in the academy, but a cold blooded finisher is a rare commodity. I back Mason to come to goal scoring form soon enough. It's just sophomore blues/increased media attention/dumb mistakes off-field that's unsettled him this season. I am pretty sure he would bag 20 goals this season.
Why are you focusing on the hypothetical and replacing them with more hypothetical reasons?

I'm a big fan of Saka I think he is one of arsenals best players already, if not the best.

As for Mason he is a good finisher, but there is more to football than that. I'm not one for the who is better arguing, as its pointless. I hope he get through his problems, as we all have them and it's never easy and It must be 100 times harder to have every thing you do wrong all over the place.

Anyway talented player, hope he gets a chance vs west ham with Rashford a doubt and Martial off form.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Compare them for a full season at the same age. Or their first full season. You wouldn’t do that because it would weaken your point though. Which was already weak as piss.
We have already done that many times last season, I am one of those who think he is as good as Owen and Rooney at 18.
But here I am talking about his progress this season at 19, as per our expectation on him based on last season hype, no need to be overly defensive on this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Just needs to get himself involved in the game more. He disappears in matches for way too long. He also has to start taking guys wide and look at assist as much as he looks to cut in and score. He's too predictable. He can use both feet so well, so why always coming in onto his left?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's crap. He has only had one bad game for us this season relative to other first team members, which was the Southampton match. Outside of that, literally every other idea of his performances has been based off of the media talking about him off the pitch. Pogba was actively terrible in games and costing us points when playing. There's an agenda here and its really sad that some of our fans have chosen to lap it up or even spread that idea
Cafe members rate him at 5.3 in average this season, so he probably had more than one bad game, at least from the opinion of majority here.
He is yet to score any goal in league this season too, yeh so its clearly an agenda make up by someone which lead him failing to score.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Funny thing is that Sancho has like 3 goals in 11 appearances this season so far and is also struggling. But since he is 20, so he is fine to have a dip and not called out for "not developing", while Greenwood is now considered to not be improving. Bizarre line of thought that.

Also Haaland is leading the line for Dortmund while Greenwood is starting out wide for us, so completely unfair comparison.
True, but Sancho isn't teenager anymore. I am comparing teenage talents only. If I compare their development over their career, than I won't even mentioned Owen, Rooney etc. As they are far from GOAT level, despite their early promise. (and even they were clearly ahead of Messi and Ronaldo at teenage years)

I am not talking about who will end up as better player here, don't get me wrong, but simply who is the better teenage talents, as most people hyped him as one of the best 18 years old they have ever seen, so its a relevant discussion as he is still within the teenage brackets. He is 19 now, so the comparison continues with other top young players at same age. Question now is, is he still the best 19 years old or teenage talents we've ever seen?

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

You need to read this whole thing again, as you are getting it all wrong.

Point being, Greenwood are being hyped as teenage generational talent last season, when he was being compared with Mbappe, Haaland, L.Ronaldo, Owen, Rooney etc during their teenage years. But those players mentioned has developed even further when they are 19 etc, while Greenwood hasn't, at least so far up to this point.

Messi and Ronaldo was never mentioned in the same tier as those mentioned in their teenage years, they are never included as the best generational type of teenage talent comparable to those players, as their insane development only starts at around age 21-23.

Basically I am only comparing "tier 1" teenage talents, Greenwood isn't up to this rank. Not saying he won't be great in future, as I 've already mentioned before, and I am repeating for the 3rd or 4th time here: he could still be GOAT in future, but thats not what my discussion is about, as I am only comparing teenage talents.
You just seem to be getting anal over feck all. Generational talent being over used comment seems to have thrown you over the edge into a long rant that wasn't needed. Greenwood is a great talent and needs to grow at his own pace. This tier 1 talent nonesense is what bored people make up to keep themsleves busy. Fabregas was a tier 1 talent and he was nowhere near Xavi who developed at a different pace. Greenwood needs to work hard to be the best player he can be. As things stand he has the potential to be frighteningly good. Whether that's better than Sancho and or not, I don't know. However , a slightly slow start to the 20/21 season, which Sancho has apparently also strated poorly, won't by the defining factor, obviously.

At the end of the day, people need to calm the feck down. He's a wonderful young player and let's hope he develops well.

NK86

True, but Sancho isn't teenager anymore. I am comparing teenage talents only. If I compare their development over their career, than I won't even mentioned Owen, Rooney etc. As they are far from GOAT level, despite their early promise. (and even they were clearly ahead of Messi and Ronaldo at teenage years)

I am not talking about who will end up as better player here, don't get me wrong, but simply who is the better teenage talents, as most people hyped him as one of the best 18 years old they have ever seen, so its a relevant discussion as he is still within the teenage brackets. He is 19 now, so the comparison continues with other top young players at same age. Question now is, is he still the best 19 years old or teenage talents we've ever seen?
Greenwood scored 17 goals last season, with him playing a major part only for half of it. So yeah, that makes him one of the best teenage players around.

Moreover, you are saying he has been a bit poor for a handful of games so are now saying is he good enough? Why don't you check if Sancho/Haaland and the likes ever had 3-4 poor games?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You just seem to be getting anal over feck all. Generational talent being over used comment seems to have thrown you over the edge into a long rant that wasn't needed. Greenwood is a great talent and needs to grow at his own pace. This tier 1 talent nonesense is what bored people make up to keep themsleves busy. Fabregas was a tier 1 talent and he was nowhere near Xavi who developed at a different pace. Greenwood needs to work hard to be the best player he can be. As things stand he has the potential to be frighteningly good. Whether that's better than Sancho and or not, I don't know. However , a slightly slow start to the 20/21 season, which Sancho has apparently also strated poorly, won't by the defining factor, obviously.

At the end of the day, people need to calm the feck down. He's a wonderful young player and let's hope he develops well.
Sure I agree, and I hope he could be great player for us in future. I even think not buying Sancho is a good thing because that means we could play Greenwood more and develop him more. But this season his form has been worrying, he could end up like Martial (who was brilliant in his first year), or even more worst, Januzaj (who was brilliant at the beginning too). Truth is, we have long history of overhyping our own young players, we probably need a reality check on this too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Greenwood scored 17 goals last season, with him playing a major part only for half of it. So yeah, that makes him one of the best teenage players around.

Moreover, you are saying he has been a bit poor for a handful of games so are now saying is he good enough? Why don't you check if Sancho/Haaland and the likes ever had 3-4 poor games?
I remember that, I regarded him as one of the best 18 year old I've ever seen. But the biggest test is always from 2nd season onwards. Some players, like Januzaj, who was once hyped as the best young talents in the game, now ends up as average footballer.

I also remember Martial scored 17 goals for us in his first season, he was brilliant at that time, when he was only around 19-20. The season after he only score 8 goals, and then the remaining years people are tired of his poor/inconsistent performance and some here even want him out. Sure he hit similar height again last season, but this season, again some here start to loss patience with his poor form. I am not sure whether Greenwood would end up in similar path.

I even remember Phil Jones was hyped as new Duncan Edwards during his first season with us too. And I used to think O'Shea is similar talents as Rio Ferdinand, from what i've seen in his first season. Also, did I mention Anderson too, who has actually won Golden Boy, and was hyped as new Ronaldinho.

Last edited:

POF

Sure. But my point being, as teenage talent, Greenwood hasn't quite developed in the same manner as those top young generational type of talents that we thought who are comparable to him last season.
In future who knows, maybe he will develop faster than Ronaldo/Messi and become GOAT, but that's another topic to discuss.
I think the main difference between Greenwood and those you've mentioned is the extreme physical traits.

Ronaldo, Owen, Mbappe, Haaland all had natural exceptional explosive pace or power. Greenwood is still developing physically and, if anything, seems to be getting quicker the more he develops physically.

Greenwood was never going to have such an immediate impact as those players. He's likely to get better and better as he develops physically and in maturity.

Drainy

What a first touch for that goal.

Hopefully can kickstart his season and we see him act more as an understudy for Cavani going forward.

acnumber9

None of our other strikers score that goal. Looked tired with his other efforts towards the end. He hasn’t got the all round game yet but I would want him through the middle where he’s a certainty to score goals. Out wide he’s relying on beating players too often.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
World class goal, even in the first half he was sharp. On his way back the lad :drool:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Reminded me of Batistuta with that touch and finish...

HowYouDoin

Some iffy touches, he can do a lot better but like I said before, Mason will play himself into form. He is too good not to start scoring.
Far better than Martial as a number 9 and he should be starting at that position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s so fecking lethal. Took what was barely a half chance and absolutely smashed it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s a striker, not a winger. Needs to get stronger to be the main man.

Idxomer

Great goal but he needs to be more confident, could've had a hattrick today.

Status
Not open for further replies.