5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

He was pretty poor but for his age we shouldn't actually be that over reliant on him to score goals. I find it hard to blame him. He's still a 19 years old kid at the end of the day. Easy to forget that considering how much he has been playing since last season.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think he was our best player yesterday. Showed his class in a few moments. Should have been less selfish in 1 or 2 moments, but other than that a good performance.

El Zoido

He didn’t have his shooting boots on yesterday, but had some bright moments. I’d have put my house on him scoring that chance early on at 1-0, he just didn’t connect with it properly. The game might have played out totally differently had he scored. There’s the difference, RBL scored from their first chance, while we fluffed ours. A frustrating pattern but I don’t blame Mason, who is usually so clinical.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good player but generational talent ? no.

He,Rashford and Martial can now up their stats against farmers in the EL.

GledTheRed

Absolute run of the mill shoulder to shoulder challenge and Greenwood threw himself to the ground. It was a very soft penalty. Who cares though. We're out.
They both fell over, nobody dived. The pen was given as Greenwood had got the wrong side of the defender, not a pen for me but they are given all the time.

pascell

For putting in good effort and showing some class moves in the process even if overall, his performances is not that good. Won us the penalty too and brave enough to ask for the ball and try and do something. Didn't hide and showed he care enough to try.

wtf is wrong with people? To not appreciate good efforts players made.
We lost so apparently everyone played sh*t and couldn't be assed putting in a shift.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He was pretty poor but for his age we shouldn't actually be that over reliant on him to score goals. I find it hard to blame him. He's still a 19 years old kid at the end of the day. Easy to forget that considering how much he has been playing since last season.
Exactly, for every Rashford that just blindingly flew out of nowhere scoring goals left at 18 and right there is a Mason Greenwood who looks raw and out of his depth in large chunks at this level when called upon. (To be honest probably shows more talent and ability than your average not Marcus that comes through a team.)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We lost so apparently everyone played sh*t and couldn't be assed putting in a shift.
Yeah I can’t fault the effort last night, thought we even played well at times, just typical that the game was over because of rubbish defending and us starting games slowly as per.

pascell

Yeah I can’t fault the effort last night, thought we even played well at times, just typical that the game was over because of rubbish defending and us starting games slowly as per.
I agree mate, the slow starts and not being switched on is killing us but United have been slow starters for years now, even going back to when SAF was manager.

The defending was very disappointing, especial AWB as it showed his limitations of having no awareness and positioning, until it was too late. He's getting too easy of a ride in this team, he needs competition.

Another bad day at the office with some tricky games before the new year is out, hopefully it gets better asap.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think it's wrong to just blame the defending though. Had Greenwood passed to Rashford on that first chance he had, Rashford was a better option and may well have tucked that away, he chose to shoot. It would have been a different game then. Same goes for Rashford on a number of occasions. Games are lost at one end and won at the other. We failed at both.

At one point our chance creation was about on par with RBL, the only difference being they put theirs away. I'm not saying our defence didn't have a shocker, just that they weren't alone. Greenwood and Rashford could both have been more aware of other players in better positions or less selfish, take your pick.

For what it's worth, I'm not slating Greenwood, I actually think he was one of our best performers last night just that everyone is rinsing the defence and ignoring the fact that both Greenwood and Rashford we pretty wasteful at times. You have to take your chances at this level, you don't get many.

Berbasbullet

I think it's wrong to just blame the defending though. Had Greenwood passed to Rashford on that first chance he had, Rashford was a better option and may well have tucked that away, he chose to shoot. It would have been a different game then. Same goes for Rashford on a number of occasions. Games are lost at one end and won at the other. We failed at both.

At one point our chance creation was about on par with RBL, the only difference being they put theirs away. I'm not saying our defence didn't have a shocker, just that they weren't alone. Greenwood and Rashford could both have been more aware of other players in better positions or less selfish, take your pick.

For what it's worth, I'm not slating Greenwood, I actually think he was one of our best performers last night just that everyone is rinsing the defence and ignoring the fact that both Greenwood and Rashford we pretty wasteful at times. You have to take your chances at this level, you don't get many.
Oh yeah we were shocking the other end too, but we were 2-0 down 15 mins in and it was more or less game over, both goals AWB was absolutely shocking and the defending was so poor

Volumiza

Oh yeah we were shocking the other end too, but we were 2-0 down 15 mins in and it was more or less game over, both goals AWB was absolutely shocking and the defending was so poor
No I agree, AWB got wrung out last night but I found myself equally as frustrated at Rashford and Greenwood at their wasted opportunities at getting us back in the game. The whole team were pretty poor last night and so too was the manager.

I actually think when Mason fills out physically his game is more suited to being a straight out no9 as he can be more selfish and goal driven, the more I see of him, the more I'm convinced that's where his future lies.

Berbasbullet

No I agree, AWB got wrung out last night but I found myself equally as frustrated at Rashford and Greenwood at their wasted opportunities at getting us back in the game. The whole team were pretty poor last night and so too was the manager.

I actually think when Mason fills out physically his game is more suited to being a straight out no9 as he can be more selfish and goal driven, the more I see of him, the more I'm convinced that's where his future lies.
Completely agree with all this.

spiriticon

I didn't think he was anything special last night either.

He was OK and we really needed him to score that chance (or pass to Rashford, which was the better choice).

Nevertheless, probably the best player last night with a rating of 6/10 or something.

Volumiza

Completely agree with all this.
I've just posted in Luke Shaws thread and said that it's almost pointless going into the performance threads today and criticizing anyone individually and pretty much all of starting 11 were bad. For me, when all 11 starters are awful then there is really only one thread we should be complaining in ... the Manager's.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Some really harsh posters in here as there were in the match thread. Greenwood played very well and was easily our best player overall. Also he did the right thing hitting that fist chance. As a top player you don’t pass the buck onto others and Rashford was in a similar position. The only thing he did wrong was not burying it but that’s not going to happen every chance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought Greenwood was really good last night, showed signs of his promise. Surprised he didn't score the 1 chance he had at 1-0 down, he just didn't hit it cleanly unfortunately.

The rest of his game though was really nice. Great control, some lovely dribbles and the roulette in the box to get the shot away was fantastic.

This kid is a star.

They both fell over, nobody dived. The pen was given as Greenwood had got the wrong side of the defender, not a pen for me but they are given all the time.
Defenders can't challenge through the back of strikers in the box, that's always been the case.

Konate lent into Greenwood as he was trying to shoot and unbalanced him without winning the ball cleanly, it's a foul and a penalty.

Konate should have concentrated on getting alongside/ahead of greenwood and trying to block the shot, not barging his way through him.

FujiVice

He was being fed on scraps and tried incredibly hard to create something all game. What the feck game did people watch to think he was shite? People are just mental.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was just a coming together of two players. Should have resulted in nothing. Happens every game.
I might be wrong, I don't know about your integrity in particular, it might be solid ..but I get the feeling you probably wouldn't have said this if Maguire or Tuanzebe did something like this to cause a penalty in this game if we lost because of it. I think this is a regular penalty in any game. As a defender, you simply can't "come together" like that from behind and not get the ball when you are defending one vs one inside the penalty area. Even if it's accidental on the defenders part, it's still enough contact there to claim the defender did something wrong and impeded the attacker to prevent a goalscoring opportunity. It's like when players stop a counter attack, if they're behind and doesn't get the ball it's always a freekick and a yellow even if the contact was minimal, since the intention was always to stop the attacker from progressing. It's like an unwritten rule almost, and it holds true in the penalty area in most games. I've seen a bunch of Phil Jones penalties pretty similar to this one and I don't remember anyone doing anything other than abuse Phil for it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I might be wrong, I don't know about your integrity in particular, it might be solid ..but I get the feeling you probably wouldn't have said this if Maguire or Tuanzebe did something like this to cause a penalty in this game if we lost because of it. I think this is a regular penalty in any game. As a defender, you simply can't "come together" like that from behind and not get the ball when you are defending one vs one inside the penalty area. Even if it's accidental on the defenders part, it's still enough contact there to claim the defender did something wrong and impeded the attacker to prevent a goalscoring opportunity. It's like when players stop a counter attack, if they're behind and doesn't get the ball it's always a freekick and a yellow even if the contact was minimal, since the intention was always to stop the attacker from progressing. It's like an unwritten rule almost, and it holds true in the penalty area in most games. I've seen a bunch of Phil Jones penalties pretty similar to this one and I don't remember anyone doing anything other than abuse Phil for it.
It's categorically not a penalty IMO whoever the defender/attacker is in the scenario. It's ultra soft.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's categorically not a penalty IMO whoever the defender/attacker is in the scenario. It's ultra soft.
It's fair if you hold that view despite the standards most refs operate by, and you disagree with that. It's an opinion that I can agree with to some extent because some soft penalties shouldn't be given and this might fall into that category if new consistent standards were to be applied in the future. However I disagree with it if you claim most refs today don't think that's a penalty.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's fair if you hold that view despite the standards most refs operate by, and you disagree with that. It's an opinion that I can agree with to some extent because some soft penalties shouldn't be given and this might fall into that category if new consistent standards were to be applied in the future. However I disagree with it if you claim most refs today don't think that's a penalty.
You are entitled to your opinion I just don't think it was personally. I thought it was pretty widely acknowledged that it was a soft pen to be honest.

Sea-Cow

No, he caught his legs too, and challenged from behind the side as well so you're incredibly biased if you call that a shoulder to shoulder. If he did a slide tackle and got the ball, like Shaw did then fair enough but Come on, that's ridiculous to call it a shoulder challenge. Obviously you didn't watch the replay.
I think it is pretty obvious that Mason initiated the contact. He takes a look back to see the defender and he does a little hop to get between the ball so that the defender hits him.

So yeah, its not a "dive" in that there was of course contact from the defender. But Mason isn't looking to score there. He isn't looking to get into a position to shoot. He had one thing on his mind and the ref, and the defender, both fell for it.

Its something that Martial has done multiple times this year and it really annoys me. But that is probably "old man yells at clouds" of me.

RashyForPM

Good player but generational talent ? no.

He,Rashford and Martial can now up their stats against farmers in the EL.
Why not? Because he’s started the season at an average level after getting 17 goals last season despite spending the first half of it on the bench? You ought to ask yourself whether this is a fair critique. He is still only 19 years old and has just began his second full season at professional level.

Not aimed at you particularly, but I’m sick of the Greenwood criticism. Give the boy space, support and protection as fans, and he will be generational. Don’t hound him after some poor performances. If people want to have a go at players, go to the DDG, Lindelof or Martial threads; players who really have no excuse anymore.

Sea-Cow

It was one of those wank "buying a foul" type scenarios. I don't like them either to be honest and will call anyone out who does it. But it is known as "smart play" now.

He was pretty good, you can tell he's still raw and developing. The CL crunch time is probably just a step to far for him at the moment but I still see the potential for rapid growth.
My thoughts exactly. And even though Mason sought and got the foul, I would also be mad at the defender if it was the other way. Don't go charging in there as the attacker is going nowhere and is not a threat to the goal.

And I remember now how infuriating it is when Jamie Vardy does this move. He is an expert at it. Gets between the defender and the ball and throws his legs back into the defender, creating the necessary "contact."

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think it is pretty obvious that Mason initiated the contact. He takes a look back to see the defender and he does a little hop to get between the ball so that the defender hits him.

So yeah, its not a "dive" in that there was of course contact from the defender. But Mason isn't looking to score there. He isn't looking to get into a position to shoot. He had one thing on his mind and the ref, and the defender, both fell for it.

Its something that Martial has done multiple times this year and it really annoys me. But that is probably "old man yells at clouds" of me.
I get what your saying, but the fact is that in this modern game players do that all the time. Think about how many times Leipzig did that effectively against us to protect the ball away from pressure. If they get their foot or leg in front of the path of the ball and we try to go through them it's a free kick every time. Which is why we never make those challenges and since they are really good at keeping composure and protecting the ball that way it's really hard to make a clean tackle. The defender applied too much pressure when Greenwood slowed down, it's a free kick / penalty any day of the month.

It's a thin line, because I think in this particular case Greenwood was not initiating the contact without losing sight of the ball, he just chose to protect the ball in a moment where the defender was going in to get it. However, I remember Vardy doing a similar thing to Rafael a few years ago but in that situation it was very clear Vardy didn't care about the path of the ball, and just dived in front of Rafael who actually didn't even make an effort to get in the way of Vardy. He just ran beside him. Obviously Vardy got the penalty, and the clever play comments while Rafael was bombarded for being a stupid hot headed south American.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Greenwood, still a boy, is the future at 9...unless someone can explain how we’ll bring in Haaland.

MattofManchester

He's always poor out wide, and it's an experiment I don't know why we keep trying.

That being said, he definitely needs a nudge in the right direction. He's got worse since he first burst onto the scene.

HowYouDoin

Well he is pushed to the side and our tactics are very negative.
Even Messi or Ronaldo wouldnt look so great if you play like that. Just one penalty goal against the big 6 this year, cant blame that on Greenwood.

Berbasbullet

Annoying Pogba didn’t find him with that chance, good passing tbf to him.

Raven

Really really bad today. Was screaming at the telly when he didn't square the ball to Rashford who was alone on the penalty spot and instead opted to take a shot while he was heavily off balance. His decision making is great, but it will come.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Early days obviously but still yet to score in a big game, polar opposite to how Rashford and Martial started when they came into the side (and their records since)

Disappointing after what I thought was a good game in Germany but then it wasn't a game for the attackers full stop

Foxbatt

I know that he is still a very young player but Ole needs to light a rocket up his arse. He simply jogs on. I have seen many a time Bruno closing down the keeper and then sprinting back to cover the outfield player while Greenwood just jogs on. You may make mistakes when you are young but not things like these.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tuned out of the game when he came off. He is the Cristiano Ronaldo 07-08 United of this team. A godly given talent. His superior work ethic to Rashford on the pitch will excel him to much higher success. True Ballon dor winner in a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.