5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

Looks predictable in the right but has also been poor when played up front. At the moment he is demonstrating exactly why we needed a proper right winger in the summer rather than two youth prospects. He also looks like a prospect in need of development and careful management rather than being ready to be our first choice rw

HowieC

He could become world class like a van Persie, or he could become just a decent Prem level finisher like a Defoe, either way this is looking like a tough second season for him, which is why a first choice RW should’ve been signed imo.
He has a ways to go, but if he keeps to it, I see him surpassing rvp

White Fury

Not good enough to start at the wing or as a striker at the moment. We badly need to buy starting player for RW. Greenwood sholud come from the bench after 60th minute when defenders are tired.

UpWithRivers

He didnt play well but he played as well as any of the attackers in the first 60 mins. Worked hard. Tracked back and won the ball a few times and put in a wicked cross (best chance of the game). What did Rashford/Bruno/Pogba/Cavani do in the first half? It was one of those games that the opposition is defending resolutely - They had 5 at the back and 3 in midfield. Our midfield was working overtime trying to get a grip on the game resulting in less space and chances created for the attackers. Plus he has WB backing him up. It was a 6/10 performance. Did his job. He needs a game against a poorer team so he can score and build confidence. But he did ok.

thepolice123

Way too one dimensional at the moment. He also doesn't have the best of first touches. Whenever he receives the ball in tight spaces, his first instinct is to bring the ball back.

Leonzo1

The kid is having a tough season. In the long run, he'll benefit from this. Needs to mix up his game as the prem defenders figured him out, tends to go on his left way too much for such an exceptional two-footed player. Not worried, extremely talented, and very young. just needs a couple of goals to get out of this tough patch and keep working hard.

Raven

We have to start giving him more game time in the center though. That's his best position and a lot of it is based on instinct. Won't want him to lose that killer movement and finish while playing on the right.

Besides, we have better options now to play on the right now, which might bring more balance to the attacking play.
It's Ole's job to win games, it's very difficult to give Greenwood time up top because we have 3 players who are superior in that position. I love Greewood but he's going to have to take his playing time where he can get it.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I think there might be a similar trajectory to RVP with his career not just owing to the striking similarities between them as players. He is so naturally gifted as a footballer that the game comes so easy to him, but I don't think he yet has that drive and focus to really max out his potential. That is really similar to the way RVP was for a long time at Arsenal. I hope it will come and sooner than it did for RVP, because if he gets the most out of his natural talent he is a frightening prospect.

Raven

I think there might be a similar trajectory to RVP with his career not just owing to the striking similarities between them as players. He is so naturally gifted as a footballer that the game comes so easy to him, but I don't think he yet has that drive and focus to really max out his potential. That is really similar to the way RVP was for a long time at Arsenal. I hope it will come and sooner than it did for RVP, because if he gets the most out of his natural talent he is a frightening prospect.
I believe RVP was mostly hindered by injuries at Arsenal, wasn't he? Strange that the young RVP is being kept out on the right by the guy who use to be known as the young Henry.

el3mel

Seems like it's time to stop with the right wing thing, not working that much anymore. Try to put him central next time and see.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he looked sharp personally, did more on the RW in 5 minutes than rashford managed all game. they just had too many men in the box by the time he got introduced.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want to see him start matches as a striker now.

No more easing him in.

We need the goals and if he cant score then he isnt good enough either - which I'm sure he will be.

He needs to rotate with Cavani.

Is he just always going to be a RW until the moment we sign a striker? What if we do somehow manage to sign Haaland - is Greenwood supposed to move from RW and play ST competing with him?

Give him game time now and let him be the goal scorer of the team.

DRM

It may be 2nd season syndrome, it may be personal issues, it may be his attitude....heck it may be a combination of all three. Whatever it is, he needs to knuckle down and sort himself out.

Every player goes through issues, Cantona with this ban after the kung fu incident, beckham was hated by the majorty of england after the argentina match, ronaldo lost his dad, heck even Foden was villified with greenwood. They all go through tough times but the very best find a way to pull through, they dig deep, they have the right attitiute. Greenwood needs to find that quick otherwise you can file under ravel and all the other players with top talent but bad attitute.

el3mel

Terrible performance. I'm really not sure what's going on but he needs a hard look at himself in the mirror.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe fans were just alittle premature in labelling him a 'generational talent'.

thepolice123

Showed why he is not ready to be the starting CF. Doesn't know where to position himself and kept drifting out to the right where he is comfortable in.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He seems like he needs a mentor. I think it’s clear he’s immature, even for his age. Not performed whatsoever this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This sort of slump in form is normal for a young player. In fact it's so normal that many posters pointed out it could easily happen before the season ever started, in response to those who said we didn't need Sancho as we could just rely on Greenwood instead.

Discipline or attitude issues might be a part of it but they don't have to be. Being a 19 year old in his second season is explanation enough.

Eplel

Terrible performance. I'm really not sure what's going on but he needs a hard look at himself in the mirror.
You can't expect a player to get on form if they play 70 minutes every 3 weeks. Give him a consistent run of games, and then we can judge him. Ole's management of player time has been dreadful, not only for Greenwood - there are players that will be selected no matter how bad they play, and there are players that will see 1 month of bench time after 2 mediocre games.

Matt851

You can't expect a player to get on form if they play 70 minutes every 3 weeks. Give him a consistent run of games, and then we can judge him. Ole's management of player time has been dreadful, not only for Greenwood - there are players that will be selected no matter how bad they play, and there are players that will see 1 month of bench time after 2 mediocre games.
To be fair people slate martial for his performances when he offers nore than greenwood. One of the most concerning thing is he so often seems to lack effort and determination

Idxomer

I said it before but it's pretty alarming how isolated is our main forward in most games.

Martial, Cavani, and now Greenwood all suffered from this problem the current season.

Strangely enough I just said this in the VDB thread too, but it's accurate for Greenwood too.

He floats through games.

For all his natural talent, he doesn't impose himself on the game, doesn't play with enough intensity. Strangely, doesn't even play with any youthful desire.

Maybe the former two will come with experience, but they're certainly not there yet.

Right now he's very much a 'moments' player.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This sort of slump in form is normal for a young player. In fact it's so normal that many posters pointed out it could easily happen before the season ever started, in response to those who said we didn't need Sancho as we could just rely on Greenwood instead.

Discipline or attitude issues might be a part of it but they don't have to be. Being a 19 year old in his second season is explanation enough.
Yep. Talented young players hardly ever follow a constant upward trajectory. If anything, not having it all their own way serves them well in the long-term, so his current struggles will either be the making of him or proof that he never would've succeeded. I'm still fairly sure it'll prove to be the former.

Thepinhead

Fear he might end up like Martial. Good player with some tidy finishes and decent ball control but just not enough become what we all hope for. The talent is there but he seem to lack that drive like Ronaldo, Messi and all the top top players have.

el3mel

#generationaltalent
He's indeed an exceptional talent, his finishing he showed for such age is fantastic. He's just terrible at the moment, I don't know if there're problems off the pitch affecting him but he needs to look at himself in the mirror and sort it out.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Am I imagining it or did he used to have more desire and drive for goal? Now he's not bothered and passes it more often than turning to face and run at goal and he's been this way since the Iceland scandal.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Completely agree, got into a few debates about this at the time.

Second season syndrome I guess mixed with growing pains, he will be alright I imagine.

rooney2009

Off form at the moment
Seems to have lost a bit of pace and confidence
He is still going to be a super player in future

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His first touch isn't shit and is very consistent, but it's also very weird and for some reason he takes ages to have the ball under control to continue the attack going, even without extra touches that players with shit touches take, it's one or two touch but for some reason it always looks too slow, IMO. Even if he receives the ball in good situations it's like slowed down replay and players generally close him pretty soon. I mean, it's difficult to describe it, but it's like the opposite technique of someone like Rashford who even when he is poor and even when sometimes takes shit touch it's still unpredicatble and he can make a meal out of it, unlike Greenwood who is very easy to mark out of the game. Whoever said he is better talent than Rashford is obviously very wrong.

The United

He is still very young and a good finisher but not much point in it when you shoot them into the crowd or your shots always get blocked.

Hopefully, he develops more on other skills like to find spaces for himself more.

Status
Not open for further replies.