Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
After a stellar start to first team football, he had a little dry spell. It's to expected for a 19 year old striker at the highest level. Took his goal expertly yesterday, and I expect him to push on from here. Absolutely no criticism should come his way, he is a very special talent that will play for us for years to come.

mav_9me

My biggest criticism last few weeks has been Greenwood has been very passive and just passing it back to the defense or CM and not doing anything.

This is the Greenwood we know. Much more proactive and running behind and taking shots. But these kind of dips are to be expected at that age. All we need him to do is play his natural game. He will be fine.

romufc

Greenwood is not one of millions of players out there, his talent is in that bracket I mentioned, at least according to most on here and I tend to agree with it.

I get being inconsistent at 19 here and there, it happens to much older players (also Benzema was the main threat against United in the CL, maybe he was 20 so I was off by one year but all the responsibilities were on him to score and he actually did giving a rough time to Vidic/Ferdinand in a dominated team, also was consistent in the league). Aguero had far more than 5 goals at that age, not sure where you got that, he had 27 goals and 15 assists the season he turned 20. Cristiano was inconsistent but still showed things pretty much every game, I can't remember too many games where he was a passenger the whole time he was on the pitch, which has happened to Greenwood a lot this season.

He's possibly got the highest ceiling of all the forwards on the squad, I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to score or assist every game, but he's been a passenger for most of his games this season but I think it's disingenuous to put him on the pedestal that I believe he belongs on, but then dismiss all criticism of him as irrelevant because of his age, he's not right out of the u-19's.
If you are quick to criticise Greenwood, fair enough. Playing in a lesser league also helps players who are generational, they have more game time, competition is weaker.

You are comparing players who were 20 to a player who just turned 19 this season? If they were consistent they would be doing it at 19 too as you say? So why pick and chose your numbers?

Now, let me pick and chose my numbers, how many of the players you listed got 20 goals at 18? Greenwood got 10 PL goals in his first full season.

Halaand has played 1 season in the bundesliga, lets see how consistent he is.

Look at Haaland and Aguero, they started every game, is Greenwood starting every game for us?

Olecurls99

People need to a bit patient with Greenwood.

1. He's playing in a position he normally should not be playing in.
2. He's in a team far superior to the ones Rashford and Martial were in, giving them more opportunities to shine and polish their games ( well to an extent).
3. Unlike either Rashford or Martial, Greenwood clearly has the skillset to be a no.9 at United, his touches, strikes, balance tell you he will be a good striker. What we don't know yet is what type of no.9 he will be.
4. The issues he has in his game, come from not having experience rather than being skill related. He doesn't yet know how to get into the right positions to get his shots at the premier league level outside of a basic cut inside. This is something that is learnt through playing rather than something that may need to be organically developed.

My one concern is his movement off the ball. I think he can learn, if he gets the chance, but we are in a position where it would be hard to give him that chance. I would actually loan him out to a team playing well in the championship, a decent bundesliga side or an average premier league team that can guarantee him gametime as a striker. His weaknesses for me are all experience based.
He has only really played on the right since he came in so I don't understand why people think he has to be number 9.

You said it yourself. His movement off the ball isn't good. That is the most important attribute of a number 9. Salah has been Liverpool's top scorer on the right so I don't see what the big problem is with that position. If his decision making improves, which it will, he can be a beast from the right.

tjb

He has only really played on the right since he came in so I don't understand why people think he has to be number 9.

You said it yourself. His movement off the ball isn't good. That is the most important attribute of a number 9. Salah has been Liverpool's top scorer on the right so I don't see what the big problem is with that position. If his decision making improves, which it will, he can be a beast from the right.
He's RVP at Arsenal. We only ever played him on the right because he's not ready to lead the line elite. If he went back to u 23 that's where he would play and his performances in the first team show this. Hes not a dribbler, nor a creative passer. Him playing on the right is us just trying to get him game time. Its naive to think otherwise even by just watching his game. What exactly makes him a good winger to you?

Man Utd 1:2 Sheffield Utd

NinjaFletch

The only one of the front three that looked like they gave a feck and hooked on 60 mins so we could watch Rashford stink the joint up on a different flank.

acnumber9

It’s beginning to really piss me off that he’s the first sub every single time regardless of what’s happening on the pitch. Sending entirely the wrong message and hampering the team.

MattofManchester

Shocking, shocking decision to take him off.

Of the front 3, the only one to do anything, and in fact was the only one making moves in the right places.

I understand not taking Rashford off, as he always manages to do something it seems(on the left) and Cavani would have opened up space for him, but taking Greenwood off, playing Rashford on the right and leaving one of Martial or Rashford on was a diabolical and shameful decision.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Personally I think he's overhyped beyond belief but he's clearly not a wide forward.
Still, he was sh*te tonight but he wasn't alone.

Bojan11

He was the only one out the front three who was moving and looked threatening. Yet subbed. Weird.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm scraping the barrel a bit here but I thought he was ok. Really don't understand why he was subbed.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Felt he made some good runs at the start of the game, but he's so predictable these days. Should have hit the target with his chance too.

Sylar

Should have been the last of the three that started to be subbed

Born2Lose

Pathetic from Ole, really starting to piss me off when he protects his "favourites" from being subbed.

Greenwood was better than Martial and Rashford put together tonight.

The thing that really grates is I never expected this from Ole, I thought it would be players picked and subbed on merit rather than reputation.

Last edited:

el3mel

He wasn't good but in comparison to what Rashford and Martial did today, he was like prime Ronaldo. Should have stayed instead of fecking Martial.

The last few games hes started I have forgotten he was on the pitch until he was subbed. He cant seem to get involved at the moment unless it's a shooting opportunity.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Subbing him must've been preplanned because he was our most dangerous looking attacker. He may have fluffed his lines but at least he tried to test the goalie.

MattyB1986

He looked more lively than Rashford and Martial tonight; weird sub, to be honest. Should have scored, snatched at that one chance.

Welbeckham

His finishing has generally been a bit off this season, but on an average day (and tonight) he’s better than Rashford and Martial. Doesn’t get involved quite enough though.

RedIan

The best of the front 3 tonight and he gets subbed. hes a goal threat Meanwhile Martial and Rashford could have played till midnight and created f... all

kundalini

More involved than he has been in many games this season. Disappointing shot well wide from an angle at the start of the 2nd half. In the first half he had several attempts, one right foot shot blocked, a shot from distance that was saved easily and another effort that was blocked. I was surprised he was substituted given the rest of the team weren't up to much.

jem

Unlike Martial, he at least looks dynamic out there. No way he should have come off before Martial.

Dominos

He's the only player in the squad who has ever shown he can be effective from the right, so you would think we could at least stick with him for a few games and hope he plays his way into form. And he just had his best game of the season in the previous game.

Why ruin any potential momentum he had by subbing him? He was nowhere near the worst out there. Ole seems to make his subs based on seniority rather than what will benefit the team most.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If you are quick to criticise Greenwood, fair enough. Playing in a lesser league also helps players who are generational, they have more game time, competition is weaker.

You are comparing players who were 20 to a player who just turned 19 this season? If they were consistent they would be doing it at 19 too as you say? So why pick and chose your numbers?

Now, let me pick and chose my numbers, how many of the players you listed got 20 goals at 18? Greenwood got 10 PL goals in his first full season.

Halaand has played 1 season in the bundesliga, lets see how consistent he is.

Look at Haaland and Aguero, they started every game, is Greenwood starting every game for us?
And why do you think he's not getting picked when, we can agree, the competition is not difficult to beat? He had a good start, he has to show now that it wasn't just a purple patch. Again, I think he's possibly the most talented player at Manchester United, or just about, but is he going to be able to show that on a consistent level the way those other players that he's gotten compared to in his breakout season have done? Right now, it's not looking like he's on that level.

And I think I gave him some time before criticizing him. I didn't jump on him after 3-4 bad games, and I'm not even jumping on him really, I'm just noticing a complete lack of effort and confidence, some immaturity issues, and I truly hope it's just growing pains because I want to see what that kid looks like full of confidence and getting a consistent run of games, but if he's not playing then it's gotta be because Ole is not seeing what he wants out of him, and that's a bit disappointing to me after his breakout season.

tjb

And why do you think he's not getting picked when, we can agree, the competition is not difficult to beat? He had a good start, he has to show now that it wasn't just a purple patch. Again, I think he's possibly the most talented player at Manchester United, or just about, but is he going to be able to show that on a consistent level the way those other players that he's gotten compared to in his breakout season have done? Right now, it's not looking like he's on that level.

And I think I gave him some time before criticizing him. I didn't jump on him after 3-4 bad games, and I'm not even jumping on him really, I'm just noticing a complete lack of effort and confidence, some immaturity issues, and I truly hope it's just growing pains because I want to see what that kid looks like full of confidence and getting a consistent run of games, but if he's not playing then it's gotta be because Ole is not seeing what he wants out of him, and that's a bit disappointing to me after his breakout season.
I really wish we could put him in a loan situation in a good enough league where he is good enough to start every game and the team is smart enough to let that happen. Greenwood only has two real problems in his game, he has the right balance, agility, composure, first touch, concentration and even intelligence. He's a decent passer for a striker and can cross too. His problems are that to be a striker in the league, you need to have the physicality to hold up play when needed, he hasn't had the chance to show this side of his game yet, but it requires experience to know. Secondly, his movement off the ball needs to improve drastically. He is a brilliant finisher, but he needs to know where and when to run to pick his spots. In games, it's clear that off the ball he looks a bit lost at times. Having gametime consistently as a striker rather than being pinned out on the right and getting confused could help a lot.

Anustart89

Was okay, made a run in behind that led to a shot, which is more than the other starters did.

Inevitably hooked so that Martial, the worst performer on the pitch, could be shunted to the left and Rashford shunted to the right where he usually is useless. Could've just kept Mason on and done a straight swap between Martial and Cavani, but no, that would be too easy and wouldn't allow Martial to lose the ball for their second goal. Feel bad for Mason who has to come off so that others can keep serving shite up. At least Mason has potential.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was okay, made a run in behind that led to a shot, which is more than the other starters did.

Inevitably hooked so that Martial, the worst performer on the pitch, could be shunted to the left and Rashford shunted to the right where he usually is useless. Could've just kept Mason on and done a straight swap between Martial and Cavani, but no, that would be too easy and wouldn't allow Martial to lose the ball for their second goal. Feel bad for Mason who has to come off so that others can keep serving shite up. At least Mason has potential.
He’s hooked after an hour so often I wonder if there’s a fitness issue? Maybe his metrics aren’t good enough to risk him playing 90 minutes. I don’t think he’s ever finished a PL game, has he?

Matt851

He’s hooked after an hour so often I wonder if there’s a fitness issue? Maybe his metrics aren’t good enough to risk him playing 90 minutes. I don’t think he’s ever finished a PL game, has he?
Mason was at least trying. You cant measure that properly but i would rather have had a slightly unfit mason on the pitch than a clearly cant be arsed martial. Substituting mason before martial didnt make any sense and just unbalanced the team, pushing marcus to teh right where he rarely does anything

Tom Van Persie

No relation
No idea why he was subbed off instead of Martial or Rashford. I thought he was decent last night.

Devil may care

Looks sharper than Rashford and Martial right now and should be starting, Ole should have had him on 15 minutes sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.