Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe let’s just face it, he is talented youngster but was massively overhyped last season, he isn’t the generational talent we thought he was, but he has some potential.

tjb

Maybe let’s just face it, he is talented youngster but was massively overhyped last season, he isn’t the generational talent we thought he was, but he has some potential.
He's 19, forced to play a role as a winger. It's so easy to dismiss him, but positions and roles matter, ask Henry. He clearly has the skillset of a generational striker, but playing him on the flank is equivalent to playing Kane there.

tjb

I figure he might be lacking in confidence and have second season syndrome. Thing is, none of our attackers can hit the target, I'm beginning to wonder if what we're doing in training isn't working.
He's not getting chances to shoot from generally expected shooting positions, has nothing to do with finishing. He's not a winger, so unlike last season, he's struggling to create those scoring chances from out wide.

rk4utd

I got carried away with the hype around this lad too - but looking back at his performances then, before he had ‘made it’ - I saw a boy willing to make runs and create space and shoot on sight no matter whether he was out wide or in the middle - now he has ‘made it’ none of the above apply consistently -,riches and fame don’t sit well with all players history shows and I hope I’m wrong but Greenwood may be the latest example of a talent that flattered to deceive when first discovered - Januzaj esque.....start proving me wrong on Sunday Mason!!!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This place is horrific at having patience with young players. Frankly half of these posters don't deserve a talent like Greenwood at the club.

tomaldinho1

Teenager played out of position and who scored a lot of goals last season. You can see the obvious ability he has, he just needs to be played as a 9.

Mason (and all our strikers) need an attacking system - you can’t just play young players and expect them to improve on their own - just take a moment to think how good he could be. Genuinely two footed, fast, powerful, excellent finisher, decent dribbler...on paper there’s no reason he shouldn’t be nipping at Haaland’s coattails. He could play off the shoulder, drop deep and if he can work on his heading (I honestly couldn’t tell you if he was good aerially or not) I struggle to see much of a weakness in his all round game.

Patchbeard

Teenager played out of position and who scored a lot of goals last season. You can see the obvious ability he has, he just needs to be played as a 9.

Mason (and all our strikers) need an attacking system - you can’t just play young players and expect them to improve on their own - just take a moment to think how good he could be. Genuinely two footed, fast, powerful, excellent finisher, decent dribbler...on paper there’s no reason he shouldn’t be nipping at Haaland’s coattails. He could play off the shoulder, drop deep and if he can work on his heading (I honestly couldn’t tell you if he was good aerially or not) I struggle to see much of a weakness in his all round game.
He's not great at heading according to Ole https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-forward-to-improve-heading-to-become-a-no-9
"For him to be a No 9, though, he needs to learn how to head the ball. I keep telling him that and, if he wants to do that, he's welcome to come and practice with me."
Hopefully he's been practising all season...

I think a big part of his lack of goals this season is that defenders are now double/triple marking him because everyone knows he can score from anywhere if you give him space. So he needs to adapt, but also needs help from our other forwards to move more and occupy defenders more.

laughtersassassin

I still stand by that his general play is probably the best in our front 3 at the minute.

But yeah nothings going right for him this season.

pascell

He's doing fine, he's been the better player from our attackers for a while now.

The goals will start coming soon enough and then everyone will go back to thinking he's a generational talent and act like they never doubted him.

Lappen

He's not getting chances to shoot from generally expected shooting positions, has nothing to do with finishing. He's not a winger, so unlike last season, he's struggling to create those scoring chances from out wide.
Agree, his not a winger and struggles a bit.

But as I remembered last season he went for a finish with his right fot a lot more than what I remember see him do now. Is it the defender that blocks that possibility because of the last season, or does he do the same things over and over and with that makes it easier to defend?
(I could be totally wrong here and don't have statistic to support my thought.)

Except fore the last game, when he struggled a bit I think his link up game, and holding on to the ball has improved quite allot compered to last season.

yamo123x

Still believe in this kid, look like he struggled for confidence following the issues on England duty.....
He however needs to be played centrally.

tomaldinho1

He's not great at heading according to Ole https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-forward-to-improve-heading-to-become-a-no-9

Hopefully he's been practising all season...

I think a big part of his lack of goals this season is that defenders are now double/triple marking him because everyone knows he can score from anywhere if you give him space. So he needs to adapt, but also needs help from our other forwards to move more and occupy defenders more.
I don't even think he needs to be excellent at heading to have a good career - you only need to look at players like Aguero or Henry to see that - he has all the raw attributes and I hope we are actually trying to mould his game and not simply assuming that game time = improvement.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He's 19, forced to play a role as a winger. It's so easy to dismiss him, but positions and roles matter, ask Henry. He clearly has the skillset of a generational striker, but playing him on the flank is equivalent to playing Kane there.
I don’t recall he has any impressive performance when we play him at CF position though, as we’ve already tried him several times this season and previous.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Still believe in this kid, look like he struggled for confidence following the issues on England duty.....
He however needs to be played centrally.
I think he's looked his sharpest since then recently though. I think when he nets one of these chances, he'll kick on.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's been non-existent when he's played as a forward for us. He doesn't have the presence at the moment.

RVP, who Mason gets compared to quite frequently, only became a striker when he was 25/26.

RUCK4444

Except for the Palace game (where every player to a man were feckin woeful) His dribbling is surprisingly good. His ability with both feet allows him to switch back and forth on either foot and drift past tackles, then more often than not he makes a decent forwards pass inside or switches it nicely to the other flank.

Trouble is we don’t have anybody linking well with him currently. I feel for him, he obviously really needs a goal but when we play like we did the other night he’s going to be limited to chances he creates for himself.

tjb

I don’t recall he has any impressive performance when we play him at CF position though, as we’ve already tried him several times this season and previous.
He's 19 in a league with the most physical strikers. In the youth team he was a clear no.9. Ole has barely used him as a 9 due to the physicality of the lone striker role, and unlike previous generations there is no support striker to help him out. So Ole has barely given him the no.9 role in the first team until recently. This means he hasn't had the chance to adapt his positioning and movement. In saying that, I do believe playing out wide has improved his overall game. He has good dribbling ability, good touches, composure and generally makes the right play. He is more ready now due to the wing experience than he was a year ago.

tjb

He's been non-existent when he's played as a forward for us. He doesn't have the presence at the moment.

RVP, who Mason gets compared to quite frequently, only became a striker when he was 25/26.
RVPs was a striker way earlier in a 2 man striking system, only difference is that he was a support striker, which I actually believe is a role Greenwood would be playing if we were playing 442.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd give Ole the benefit of doubt when it comes to forwards as he was the first to see that Rashford is better on the left and Martial through the middle last season but I don't understand the configuration with Rashford on the left when Martial is out and Greenwood playing centrally with James on the right. That feels like two players playing on less than optimal roles to me. James feels a lot more natural attacking from the left, Greenwood is much more comfortable on the right and Rashford is much more suited to play #9 of the three.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
RVPs was a striker way earlier in a 2 man striking system, only difference is that he was a support striker, which I actually believe is a role Greenwood would be playing if we were playing 442.
I certainly agree but as we play with a front 3 fans tend to want Mason to be the main central figure, which I just dont think he's ready for in this set-up.

I'd give Ole the benefit of doubt when it comes to forwards as he was the first to see that Rashford is better on the left and Martial through the middle last season but I don't understand the configuration with Rashford on the left when Martial is out and Greenwood playing centrally with James on the right. That feels like two players playing on less than optimal roles to me. James feels a lot more natural attacking from the left, Greenwood is much more comfortable on the right and Rashford is much more suited to play #9 of the three.
Good point.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I actually think he's performing well, just his shots aren't hitting the back of the net. Most involved of all our attackers (not saying much) and it's more down to the team being poor at the moment than him suddenly turning to shit.

He should have a break over the summer as I don't see him making the England squad, and I hope he comes back refreshed and ready to go next year when a lot of players won't have had a break.

Smores

He's 19 in a league with the most physical strikers. In the youth team he was a clear no.9. Ole has barely used him as a 9 due to the physicality of the lone striker role, and unlike previous generations there is no support striker to help him out. So Ole has barely given him the no.9 role in the first team until recently. This means he hasn't had the chance to adapt his positioning and movement. In saying that, I do believe playing out wide has improved his overall game. He has good dribbling ability, good touches, composure and generally makes the right play. He is more ready now due to the wing experience than he was a year ago.
I don't think he has anything he didn't already have. When is the last time a great No 9 was formed by playing on the wings?

I'm willing to be convinced but i think it's hampering more players than it makes. People are expecting Greenwood in random inconsistent games up front to suddenly have the presence and rhythm of a no 9 when he just isn't used to it.

Is it better for him to play out on the wing rather than not at all? Definitely but i still think I'd rather he went out on loan to play a full season up front.

Foxbatt

It's this ridiculous mentality of playing with wingers. We should play two up front. Cavani and Mason. That gives us enough attacking options with three midfield players behind them and two full backs playing wide. I also don't understand what the coaching staff does. We don't see it on the match day for sure. As soon as Mason gets the ball, he tries his stepovers and the extra defender gets the time to come and cover him.
Cavani is one of the best movers in the game. Use him for creating space and also to score goals.

P-Nut

It's this ridiculous mentality of playing with wingers. We should play two up front. Cavani and Mason. That gives us enough attacking options with three midfield players behind them and two full backs playing wide. I also don't understand what the coaching staff does. We don't see it on the match day for sure. As soon as Mason gets the ball, he tries his stepovers and the extra defender gets the time to come and cover him.
Cavani is one of the best movers in the game. Use him for creating space and also to score goals.
So a 532?

Icemav

I actually think he's performing well, just his shots aren't hitting the back of the net. Most involved of all our attackers (not saying much) and it's more down to the team being poor at the moment than him suddenly turning to shit.

He should have a break over the summer as I don't see him making the England squad, and I hope he comes back refreshed and ready to go next year when a lot of players won't have had a break.
Agree. He is 19 and developing and it is normal for now. This thread is by and large toxic. He may kick on or he may not but at this moment in time its stupid to be critical aside from if he looks not to give a shit.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
For whatever reason, almost all his shot attempts are either outside the box or within the box from wide areas. He has very few attempts from in front of the goal within the box and literally none from inside the six. It is just really hard to score goals from where he is shooting, even for a top level finisher. Last year he was getting into much better positions.

You can also look at the difference in his 20/21 shot location versus wide forwards like Sterling or Salah, both of whom score a ton of goals within the box right in front of the goal (or, in Sterling's case, often in the six yard box itself). I'm not sure whether its movement, tactics, or what but Greenwood just isn't getting into comparable positions.

https://understat.com/player/7490
https://understat.com/player/618
https://understat.com/player/1250

Foxbatt

So a 532?
No a diamond. I should have said that a DM holds the centre with either the MF drop into space when required. When the balls are on the flanks, we should not vacate space in the middle by the DM going to the side unless he gets another DM to slot into that space.
I know it's a different topic but I really don't understand why we try to play out from the back of our midfield needs to drop into our box to collect the ball? Isn't the whole purpose of this is to have more players free to receive the ball? If Matic or whoever is in midfield drops into our own box, then it makes one player less to receive the ball. One space less for the opposition to mark.

Renegade

It’s incredibly tough for a teenager having to manoeuvre his own half chances constantly. From all the forwards he looks the most skilled and in full control of the ball with his general play. He needs one of those shots to fly in. The talent is obvious.

P-Nut

No a diamond. I should have said that a DM holds the centre with either the MF drop into space when required. When the balls are on the flanks, we should not vacate space in the middle by the DM going to the side unless he gets another DM to slot into that space.
I know it's a different topic but I really don't understand why we try to play out from the back of our midfield needs to drop into our box to collect the ball? Isn't the whole purpose of this is to have more players free to receive the ball? If Matic or whoever is in midfield drops into our own box, then it makes one player less to receive the ball. One space less for the opposition to mark.
I wanted a diamond myself for a long time as it gives us depth in most positions, but it never seems to perform as well as you'd expect. To be fair we don't have the DM for it and AWB would have to accelerate his offensive development.

darko

Play two upfront. You have four players for two positions and no complaints about fatigue and no players isolated on the flanks. Rotation and substitution.

Foxbatt

I wanted a diamond myself for a long time as it gives us depth in most positions, but it never seems to perform as well as you'd expect. To be fair we don't have the DM for it and AWB would have to accelerate his offensive development.
I think in most games Matic can play as a DM if we have DVB, Pogba, Bruno in the diamond. A problem I always see at United is the positional play. Example. When AWB has the ball on the right in our half or at the centre line, he has two options at the most. That is either he plays down the line to Greenwood or he plays back to Lindelof. Now our midfield player playing on the right should come short to give him an option. That vacates the inside right space for us. Our CF has to move into that space while our Left winger moves into centre and left back moves forward. This never happens. Look at our next game. So it is never the right space at the right time for us.
I also have major issues with us playing from the back if the only purpose is to give the ball to our midfield players in our box or just outside the box. in Liverpool or at City, the CBs are there not to just pass the ball from the keeper to the midfield. If our CBs can come into midfield when we have possession that releases one midfield player to join the attack too.
I am not sure we will see that against City but certainly against lesser teams we should have done that long time ago. I do not know if it is a strict instruction from Ole that no matter what we should play out from the back. The idea is to get the ball from our end to their end isn't it.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
This place is horrific at having patience with young players. Frankly half of these posters don't deserve a talent like Greenwood at the club.
It is a bit weird isn't it, the inability to understand mean value. Feeds into the stupidity of the board and their transfer dealings.

This just simply isn't a squad to bring young player through. You suddenly become first choice in a bunch of positions, desperation man in the hope that you succeed. Look at Martial and Rashford at the moment are complete husks.
Its a bit of a vampiric fanbase to be honest.

tjb

I don't think he has anything he didn't already have. When is the last time a great No 9 was formed by playing on the wings?

I'm willing to be convinced but i think it's hampering more players than it makes. People are expecting Greenwood in random inconsistent games up front to suddenly have the presence and rhythm of a no 9 when he just isn't used to it.

Is it better for him to play out on the wing rather than not at all? Definitely but i still think I'd rather he went out on loan to play a full season up front.
Problem is, we are not good enough to send Greenwood out on loan. Let's be honest about this, we've spent millions of pounds, but I really believe that even now, if Greenwood is able to engineer space for himself to shoot from, O genuinely believe he'd be more effective, maybe even a better player, than any of our other attackers. That shouldn't be the case, but it is.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He should stop taking on all the players to have a shot, should be a more team player looking for one twos, quick passes and cut backs instead of just dribbling to have a shot.

He is young player, so should improve on that with more experience.

Dearg hÉireann

I think Greenwood has the potential to be as good as Benzema or Lewandowski, those kind of top quality strikers.

He's a victim of his own success because last season he was really out of this world and scored the most outrageous goals.

No chance would I be thinking of loaning him out, he's obviously having a complete stinker of a second season by his own high standards but he's so young and he really is the most talented young player to come through in over 20 years.

Have faith, he'll be leading the line for the next 10 years, so much better than both Rashford and Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.