Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Needs to bulk up?
Possibly though I think he's already put on quite abit of weight already.

Regarding his current role, RW clearly doesn't suit him now. He's too predictable as he cuts inside far to regularly. He must be the most comfortable player to go up against for any opposition fullback at the present. If he's going to continue as a RW option, as he likely will for the remaining campaign, he needs to mix his role up abit, basically he needs to go down the byline alot more but is he good in 1v1 situations ? up for debate.

Personally, I like the idea of Mason playing just off a forward but the team's formation has to change for that to happen to some extent.

Red_toad

Seems he’s become a player who works hard for the team, yet has little in the way of end product. Really wish we could play him to his strengths. Had the world at his feet last season now he looks like fringe player, who could well be ousted from regular game time if we buy the right players this coming summer.

Marwood

Possibly though I think he's already put on quite abit of weight already.

Regarding his current role, RW clearly doesn't suit him now. He's too predictable as he cuts inside far to regularly. He must be the most comfortable player to go up against for any opposition fullback at the present. If he's going to continue as a RW option, as he likely will for the remaining campaign, he needs to mix his role up abit, basically he needs to go down the byline alot more but is he good in 1v1 situations ? up for debate.

Personally, I like the idea of Mason playing just off a forward but the team's formation has to change for that to happen to some extent.
I disagree. He's not a natural winger but he can and does mix it up between coming inside and going on the outside. I'd say it's Rashford and Martial who are very predictable when playing wide.

The biggest problem for Greenwood is the lack of proper goalscoring chances he gets. Even last season, if you go through his goals, they're nearly always self made or strikes from distance. How many clear cut chances has he had this season? His Liverpool goal stands out in my mind as kne of the few and even then he had work to do.

I don't know why that is, is it the way we use him or Mason himself.

Perfect example was against Palace when McTominay came on and had that chance. Found himself in that right channel. Messed it up a bit. I immediately though that's where Greenwood should be, he'd have got his shot off. Instead he was still outside the area, practically holding hands with AWB. So that's something that needs sorting one way or another if he's to carry on in that role.

PoTMS

He offers nothing. No goals, no assists, no holdup play. Nothing.

acnumber9

He was just left isolated and crowded out throughout. One great piece of play but if he’s not going to bet the ball in the box, what hope does he have?

el3mel

This was a horrible performance. He was honestly a hindrance up front rather than being helpful.

Really, really a big shame.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looks like a completely different player than I remember coming up through the youth team. What’s happened to that striker that destroyed Chelsea in the youth cup?

mu4c_20le

He's playing like he thinks his England career is over for some reason. Has to be some issues off the field.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Some very OTT comments in the match thread writing him off, he’ll come good, maybe not this season and he’s not had a good season at all, but I’m sure it will happen for him.

KennyBurner

He offers nothing. No goals, no assists, no holdup play. Nothing.
I hate that its come to this but I agree. He had a whole half in his preferred position and was probably the worst of his career.

Still his supporting cast was pretty worthless.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Slightly better up top. He doesn’t get enough supply though even if he isn’t always helping himself.,

AgentSmith

Completely useless as a 9
He’s a 19 year old that we’re far too reliant on and who’s gone through a dramatic physical transformation over the past 18 months. Second season syndrome is a reality for young players as well.

He’ll come good and we’ll be counting our lucky stars we have him for the next decade.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some very OTT comments in the match thread writing him off, he’ll come good, maybe not this season and he’s not had a good season at all, but I’m sure it will happen for him.
I agree. I actually thought he did ok when he moved to the striker, good movement and made runs that were not picked out.

People forget he's still young and this is his first full season, all without a proper break or pre-season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Just not at it this season.
He is showing improvement in his all-round play but our attack isn't working and he can't magically turn on his goalscoring abilities with a non functioning set up around him. It makes sense to me that he struggles when I look at the way we play. When he plays out wide, there is barely anyone making runs in the box. When he is making runs in the box, it's easily marked because he is the only one doing it at the moment, and by forcing it it becomes predictable. I really wish we could have our attackers form more partnerships, it's like they have no natural chemistry and everything has to be very congested for them to feel safe to express themselves. It's not a great platform for Greenwood to thrive, but I digress, I think it's a transitional period for him right now anyways but I'm honestly more worried that we're maybe conditioning him into playing a way we maybe don't want our players to play, simply by playing him in these tough conditions.

He might be better for it, but I believe that continuing a run of form and confidence at that age when playing is hugely important, and not to overplay him. You want to condition him into grown up football, but you want to keep him fresh, motivated and playing with high energy levels when he does play. At the moment we're playing him because we have no other options that work well, and a lopsided attack when it does work. It's not a good system for development. Looking at the rate Haaland develop it's exactly what I'm talking about, he is just continuing this wave of scoring and believing in himself, and he has a specific task he does well. I believe Greenwood should be presented with a similar opportunity to get his mojo back, and continue from there.

Players like Greenwood, Bruno, Diallo and AWB should be a mini team on all training sessions to fix that right side and figure out a understanding of how they should play together. This would be beneficial for development, but the schedule is so tight I suspect they don't even find time to really work on those relationships enough in training and whatever.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
It will always be hard for a player who just entered mens football and still growing to mens physique to play in a gutless team with no midfield and tactics to provide any balls for him to shine. From the wing he at least sometimes had space to run into but after switching to a dreadful mode under Solskjaer we even fail to play his pattern of before which completely shuts Mason down. Feel a bit sorry for him. On the other hand he shouldn't escape criticism and show a bit more hunger which he lacks.

Shame so many talented players just don't automatically have this kind of need to run and chase the ball and win it. Mane or 33year old Vardy, hell even Herrera would make difference to this team which absolutely lack urgency due to a manager not wanting it from the players or failing to apply that basic element of today's game. The game moved on it's 120% team sport, not a a game of talented individuals.

Just a little worry Mason might end up as Martial..

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Didn't think he was too bad, had a similar second half to Martial in the first. If there is no supply then they are going to struggle.

Thought it was telling that Ole brought Bruno off as its blatant he needs a rest and there are just no opportunities to do so.

kundalini

Super play to create the big chance that Dan James missed. One other good run that was stopped by some good defending. Poor work-rate for a player who didn't start against City.

spiriticon

He is starting to look more and more like a Martial regenerate with each passing day. And that is not good. I can barely deal with one Martial leading the line.

manuchamp88

Season needs to end for him. He needs a fresh start
And that fresh start should be a loan at mid-table team, whether domestic or abroad, where he can enjoy his football again whilst developing without the pressure.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Ok attacking wise. Not good with his back to the goal. Terrible off the ball. He runs around a lot with no intention to get the ball.

He'sRaldo

We don't work the ball to our forwards in the box, so it's hard for them to score. Mason is just a victim of that.

I wouldn't be too hard on him as you can see the technique and intelligence is there.

Mickson

Looks like a completely different player than I remember coming up through the youth team. What’s happened to that striker that destroyed Chelsea in the youth cup?
We usually have some kind of tactic in the youth teams. I don't know what there is here, every man for himself?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What Greenwood is showing is really worrying, sometimes he holds the ball well but that's all that he adds now in a game. Close to no threat, one every two games he will have a nice dribble and release a shot, it is nowhere near enough.

He isn't a winger, but not a striker in our set-up either. Way too isolated. He's a wide forward and did that brilliantly in 19/20. I have full faith in him to turn it around, but if you can get Sancho, do so.

Zoo

Got a chance to go again at CF on Sunday. He needs to start firing again.

el3mel

And that fresh start should be a loan at mid-table team, whether domestic or abroad, where he can enjoy his football again whilst developing without the pressure.
Pretty sure we can't afford that, considering he's one of our main forwards and we don't have many other options on the bench. Loaning Greenwood might end with us playing James as a regular for the whole next season. Think about that for a moment.

Idxomer

We usually have some kind of tactic in the youth teams. I don't know what there is here, every man for himself?
We have a lot of good young talent and I feel those players aren't gonna reach their potential under the current coaching setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.