5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Glad to see Greenwood get a goal today. He's deserved one over recent weeks. Didn't embarrass himself like he's teammates.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I thought he was fairly poor till his goal, his whole play is mostly come into the ball, do well to keep it and then pass it back. It is better than what Martial was doing, but it doesn't do much for the team. Fred and McTominay will lose the ball anyway. For a young attacker, I think he can be very boring, takes on defenders once or twice a match and his off the ball runs aren't great as well. He really struggles with his positioning, hence why he rarely gets into good positions. If he did, with his finishing and (disappeared) two-footedness, he'd be a great threat as he was last season.

I do think after the goal he came to life a bit, especially when the 4 changes were fresh. Well taken goal and deserved credit for that. But the level of performance he brings week in and week out is nowhere near good enough for the ambition United should have. I think he gets extra leeway as a youngster that has already shown a great level (last season, he was really good).

Banana Republic

Mason took his goal well. Hopefully that’ll give him some much needed confidence after his poor goal tally this season.
However, apart from a few good bits of skill and some good link up play, he was again very poor for large patches of the game.
I’m not sure why people are giving him MOTM, apart from the goal.
Off the ball , his effort is slow, lacklustre, late to react, at times aimless. Any pressing efforts he makes are totally lame and of no use, putting no pressure whatsoever on the opposition players.

Don’t get me wrong, the lad is an exciting prospect and has some great skills and natural ability in the box, but his overall play doesn’t match it at the moment.
Game after game, he’s a passenger, looking lost for half the match.
I put that down to poor coaching, because you can be sure, Sir Alex would be blasting the lad for some of his play.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Defenders have sussed him and he doesn't have anything else in his locker to create chances for himself.

Pattern is simple, pick up ball on the right, two step overs to get ball onto left foot for a pulled shot towards the near post, blocked by the defender. Rinse and repeat.

AgentSmith

Defenders have sussed him and he doesn't have anything else in his locker to create chances for himself.

Pattern is simple, pick up ball on the right, two step overs to get ball onto left foot for a pulled shot towards the near post, blocked by the defender. Rinse and repeat.
He did score tbf.

hungrywing

This is when a good coach might tell him to just play like a 'pure winger' for a few games. Only look to create. Plant questions in opposition managers/players' minds.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Didnt get in the game at all today but scored out of nowhere.

Essentially the complete opposite to his last 4/5 performances.

snk123

Love it how conveniently it is overlooked that he gave the ball away and Leicester almost scored from it. Of course, being English helps.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Love it how conveniently it is overlooked that he gave the ball away and Leicester almost scored from it. Of course, being English helps.
I think its probably being 19 and that being part of parcel of playing football?

In Rainbows

Because it's one mistake. It's not like he pulled a Fred who pulled off 3 in the span of 25 minutes.

First touch is suspect. That's something you can't train.
I don't see what you're seeing.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Greenwood has one of the best pass completion rates in almost every game for us. You can excuse one error compared to a player that does it in each of his games multiple times.

Siezard

Great goal by Greenwood. Fast and accurate. Good goal to ease the pressure off him.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great to see him on the scoresheet again. Hopefully this kicks him on again, and we start to see him scoring more often like last season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's his position? Does he need to play in a front two, off a main striker, or could he play behind the striker?

Given our options I think he walks into the team on the right wing, but I worry about his future development if he spends another season there.

AgentSmith

What's his position? Does he need to play in a front two, off a main striker, or could he play behind the striker?

Given our options I think he walks into the team on the right wing, but I worry about his future development if he spends another season there.
I think it’s just about getting him minutes in either position to aid his progress. The issue will come if we’re reliant on him for these roles which we currently are because this will bring unnecessary pressure and inevitable disappointment.

If you look at the stage Kane or Lewandowski were at when they were Greenwood’s age he’s miles ahead of them in terms of development. Haaland and Mbappe have obliterated the level of expectation people have for young forwards.

In an ideal world Greenwood would be the first choice attacking option off the bench next season for me.

Hoof the ball

I think its probably being 19 and that being part of parcel of playing football?
He will make those mistakes because his passing weight and choice isn't his best attribute. That's no slight on him of course. It's just recognition that he's more talented in the box than he is in general play.

He will improve outside the box but we have to be realistic and careful as fans to not expect Greenwood to become this force of nature with the ball at his feet in the middle of the field.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it’s just about getting him minutes in either position to aid his progress. The issue will come if we’re reliant on him for these roles which we currently are because this will bring unnecessary pressure and inevitable disappointment.

If you look at the stage Kane or Lewandowski were at when they were Greenwood’s age he’s miles ahead of them in terms of development. Haaland and Mbappe have obliterated the level of expectation people have for young forwards.

In an ideal world Greenwood would be the first choice attacking option off the bench next season for me.
I think he's better than that. But it wouldn't be a bad situation either. I just wonder whether he'd be better served, next season onwards, to be playing off a striker or next to a striker. Of course, if the whole team starts playing better football in the attacking third, he might fit better into a lone striker role, but then we'd be talking about quite a significant improvement needed in our style of play.

Ole recently said he could play right wing, up front and #10. I'm just wondering where he'll get the best opportunity to develop the outstanding natural talent he has.

markhughes

He is such a talent, a difficult season could in some ways be the making of him. He has plenty of time to learn and grow and will only get better and better.

He is also a lot quicker than some folks seem to think, on a few occasions he has shown his speed but his playing style doesn’t really utilise it regularly.

Apparently his top speed is over 37.6 km/h and he was our fastest player at one point last season according to the club website.

criticalanalysis

Not a criticism, but just a question: does Mason look severely bow-legged as he runs?
He's got this very high gait and centre of gravity at the hips, which gives him great balance but yes it looks a bit ungangly, if he doesn't run head down, James style.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s pulled out of the England under 21s games through injury. Honestly that’s the best news possible for Utd fans. Give him a rest and let him consolidate that goal with more to follow!

RashyForPM

An injury before a ball is kicked to our right winger, with our left winger prepared to play at least 2 games England could win with 9 men (bar Poland) carrying an injury.

I really, really hope it’s this typical fake-injury-pull-out plan designed by the management, but seeing that we let Rashford go half-fit, I doubt it. Hope he’s back for Granada mid-week at the worst case scenario.

Lappen

I saw in another thread that people compare him with Haaland, and I think its nice to see our youth getting compared to the hottest goalscorer in the world right now!
It did say that Haaland is a lot better, we all know his a monster, and kind of didn't look so positiv to Greenwood.
I really like Greenwood and I prefer to put statistic you could call positiv instead of a bit negative.
So another comparison could be with the other teenagers in the top leagues sense the start of 19/20 season.

Greenwood: 22 goals (only 5 20/21)
Fati: 13 goals
Saka: 10 goals
Martinelli: 10 goals
Wirtz: 8 goals

A bit positiv angle on this one, but I like that. Next season will be big for him! Next year our topscoorer!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He’s pulled out of the England under 21s games through injury. Honestly that’s the best news possible for Utd fans. Give him a rest and let him consolidate that goal with more to follow!
The flip side to that coin is going on international duty will help him get more confidence, especially with the under 21's, which could have had a positive effect on his game. At least there's no chance of added injury now.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He has all the talent, for me just needs the endeavor.

If a player with the stamina, drive and desire like Hernandez had Greenwood sheer talent....man.

Its why Rooney was such a freak.

RUCK4444

He has all the talent, for me just needs the endeavor.

If a player with the stamina, drive and desire like Hernandez had Greenwood sheer talent....man.

Its why Rooney was such a freak.
Rooney was a freak in that sense, your right. An absolute force of nature.

I don’t think we can label Mason lazy though, he’s trying, needs to concentrate on positioning as a no 9 and the runs that a striker must make instinctively.

Raven

Poor enough game but a very nice finish from him, hopefully he can kick on a bit for the end of the season now.

slored1

Poor enough game but a very nice finish from him, hopefully he can kick on a bit for the end of the season now.
How was he poor? Thought he looked very lively and could/should have had at least one more goal.

el3mel

Our best attacking player from the trio upfront. Deserved to be the one who wins us the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.