5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

led_scholes

He is a kid that went from 4 sub appearences in one season to 49 appearences the next season and most of them came in a 2 month period. We really should buy (or loan) a winger if we dont want to burn him.

WPMUFC

we are trying to turn our potential best striker into an RW and then worrying about his "defensive qualities". :( I think Brighton showed how we need to fix the defence, but trying to turn greenwood into a winger is criminal.

macheda14

we are trying to turn our potential best stiker into an RW and then worrying about his "defensive qualities". :( I think Brighton showed how we need to fix the defence, but trying to turn greenwood into a winger is criminal.
I do think him learning how to play on the wing and improving his defensive qualities will benefit him in the long term. I'd just rather he didn't play every game there.

WPMUFC

I do think him learning how to play on the wing and improving his defensive qualities will benefit him in the long term. I'd just rather he didn't play every game there.
if we don't look to bring in a RW'er, that's the only role he's going to play. Then at some point i worry about what that will mean to his striker development

Raven

we are trying to turn our potential best striker into an RW and then worrying about his "defensive qualities". :( I think Brighton showed how we need to fix the defence, but trying to turn greenwood into a winger is criminal.
He'd get man handled by pretty much every premier league CB at the moment. He would be utterly invisible. I'm all for playing him as a striker in cup games against smaller teams but he should definitely stay out on the right in league matches for now.

Man Utd vs Tottenham

Jaykespeare88

Surprised no ones talked him today, played with a firecracker up his arse after we went down, and man sent off. Showed good dribbling I thought which never stood out as a strong point as he usually plays it safe, one moment midway between first half he must've taken on 3 4 spurs players even if he did overrun it at the end, hope he gets at oppo players more often.

Andersons Dietician

Bar a brief spell when he went on a mission both he and Rashford were awful at tracking people or getting back. The amount of times both just let people go. Even worse when you consider we were a man down. Would have hauled both them off. It was ridiculous.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was easily our best player on the ball today. Really tried to run at players and cause some damage, especially when we went down to 10 men.

But, and this is becoming a bit worrying, he's really not helping out enough defensively.
It's not. He is not a midfielder or someone you want to do heavy duty work, he is a finisher and strategic attacker. You don't play him on the right if he is supposed to track back and be involved in covering in a low block. You want players like him further forward, so that when we do win the ball we can counter attack. It's like being worried that Haaland wont achieve his potential because currently he is not helping Dortmund out defensively, too busy scoring goals.

Dan_F

He was easily our best player on the ball today. Really tried to run at players and cause some damage, especially when we went down to 10 men.

But, and this is becoming a bit worrying, he's really not helping out enough defensively.
He’s always been clumsy defending, you can tell he’s a striker playing on the right. He does seem to be learning that position better from an attacking point of view though. Last season he was scoring great goals, then you wouldn’t notice him for another 70 minutes. He’s much more involved in the build up now, could just be a confidence thing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The wide open spaces down our left flank were horrific. I’m not sure that’s all Mason’s fault though. Have a look at where Shaw’s starting position in the move leading up to Son’s goal. It’s unbelievable. Plus we’re playing with three central midfielders. They have to react to those situations and fill those gaps.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The wide open spaces down our left flank were horrific. I’m not sure that’s all Mason’s fault though. Have a look at where Shaw’s starting position in the move leading up to Son’s goal. It’s unbelievable. Plus we’re playing with three central midfielders. They have to react to those situations and fill those gaps.
I touched on that in Shaw's thread, but I'll do a quick recap here. At first I was blaming him as well but I just re-watched the entire play and it was actually Maguire who had pushed up out of position and Shaw had no choice but to come in to cover that space. Then there was never a chance for them to swap back.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I touched on that in Shaw's thread, but I'll do a quick recap here. At first I was blaming him as well but I just re-watched the entire play and it was actually Maguire who had pushed up out of position and Shaw had no choice but to come in to cover that space. Then there was never a chance for them to swap back.
There’s no way Shaw should have followed Lamela that far. Wingers swap flanks all the time. Our wide attackers constantly did it under Fergie. Takes a special breed of idiot fullback to trot alongside them all the way from one side of the pitch to the other.

The_Midfielder

He’s always been clumsy defending, you can tell he’s a striker playing on the right. He does seem to be learning that position better from an attacking point of view though. Last season he was scoring great goals, then you wouldn’t notice him for another 70 minutes. He’s much more involved in the build up now, could just be a confidence thing.
This is why maybe we need to support AwB/Shaw better .. If him and Rashford are not helping the defense and you have Matic Pogba supporting .. then there is not much the defense can do ..

MadDogg

It's not. He is not a midfielder or someone you want to do heavy duty work, he is a finisher and strategic attacker. You don't play him on the right if he is supposed to track back and be involved in covering in a low block. You want players like him further forward, so that when we do win the ball we can counter attack. It's like being worried that Haaland wont achieve his potential because currently he is not helping Dortmund out defensively, too busy scoring goals.
The problem is if we have Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all doing that, we're suddenly down quite a few bodies.

Most top teams these days, or teams in general, can maybe have one player not helping much defensively. Everyone else is normally working quite hard winning the ball back and pressing.

MadDogg

There’s no way Shaw should have followed Lamela that far. Wingers swap flanks all the time. Our wide attackers constantly did it under Fergie. Takes a special breed of idiot fullback to trot alongside them all the way from one side of the pitch to the other.
He didn't follow him to the other side of the field. He followed him into the centre, exactly where Maguire would normally have been. If at any stage Shaw left Lamela to go back out wide it would literally have left Lamela 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper with no other defender remotely close enough to stop him. Anyway, if you want to discuss this further you should do it to my post in the Shaw thread so we don't take this one off topic.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The problem is if we have Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all doing that, we're suddenly down quite a few bodies.

Most top teams these days, or teams in general, can maybe have one player not helping much defensively. Everyone else is normally working quite hard winning the ball back and pressing.
True that. I don't personally think Greenwood should be used that way, but I see your point. I keep thinking about Rashford being tired of working defensively under Mourinho as a winger, and he has struggled out wide for a while now since his injury, maybe he is just a bit sick of it right now. In regards to Greenwood I don't even see any of it in his game defensively.

parkthebuslads

It would be nice to see him get a chance through the middle now. It doesn't seem ideal to me that a striker is spending so much time out of position, both in matches and presumably in training, especially given he's at such a crucial time in his development.

He could end up like Rashford; wants to be a striker but lacks the basics to play the role.

jackal&hyde

With no senior RW coming in, this will be another big season for Mason. I'm excited tbh.

Last edited:

Lewnited

With no senior RW coming in, this will be another big season for Mason. I exited tbh.
Just had this thought myself actually - the fact we've brought in two players junior to Greenwood means that that he remains our first choice RW option. The start to the season has been rocky for the whole team, but I suspect once we settle down he'll find himself in great goalscoring form. Definitely most excited to watch his progress this season.

mancan92

Not getting Sacho I think is a negative for greenwood. The kid played 40 professional games last season and had no rest coming into this season the burn out is inevitable

Matt851

I do worry he will struggle this season given he is now our first choice rw. I feel like teams hae worked him out to an extent and blocked shots quickly when he has come inside. I think its a particular problem given wan bissakas weaknesses going forward

Foxbatt

Bring in Fred and let Rashford and Greenwood play up top. Feck this 3 forward business in every match.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not getting Sacho I think is a negative for greenwood. The kid played 40 professional games last season and had no rest coming into this season the burn out is inevitable
He played about 2600 minutes last season. Saying 40 games is a bit disingenuous, he was a substitute in 9 of them and was taken off in nearly every game he started.

He's played quite a lot of football but it's not like he's an outlier for his age. Other players in his skill bracket at the same age played more minutes than he has (at his age Rooney had played nearly 2000 more minutes). He only became a guaranteed starter after lockdown, we're hardly running him into the ground.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Lot's talking about him playing out of position when he is out wide...it's almost as if most people never watched any youth games at all when he was regularly playing wide just as much as through the middle and even off the front man.

The great thing is that Mason is very versatile.

Playing out wide is very natural to him.

Give things time.

Web of Bissaka

Did we ruined Rashford?

Same thing is said about him when we play Rash at LW, with Zlatan then Lukaku hogging the solo CF role. Once Lukaku is out, and we tried Rashford at CF, turns out it's not his best position after all... he can definitely do it in big games at CF when the likes of City, Pool etc (bar Mourinho-ish teams) are giving him plenty of spaces to exploit, but usually rubbish vs weak teams parking the bus.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Did we ruined Rashford?

Same thing is said about him when we play Rash at LW, with Zlatan then Lukaku hogging the solo CF role. Once Lukaku is out, and we tried Rashford at CF, turns out it's not his best position after all... he can definitely do it in big games at CF when the likes of City, Pool etc (bar Mourinho-ish teams) are giving him plenty of spaces to exploit, but usually rubbish vs weak teams parking the bus.
Rashford played most of his underage football on the wing.

Greenwood has done a great job on the wing but he is wasted there.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Probably playing FIFA too late, forgot to sleep and get punished by Ole. Can’t think any other reason.

VivaRonaldo85

Just our luck right now. Misses England duty for a fortnight after his Iceland adventure yet picks up an injury or illness in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.