5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

Greenwood is a great finisher but doesn't help out enough defensively when playing on the right. Our team was too imbalanced early in the season and the defence wasn't getting enough protection from the midfield. With Pogba and Greenwood out of the team it feels more balanced.
It's been two games that could have easily turned out differently had it not been for some amazing DDG saves. Contrary to belief that we played them off the park, and although we were the better team for the last 20 minutes, Newcastle game was well contested. Yesterday, after half time, PSG were bossing us, we did grow into it and funny enough it was Pogba who got the assist for the winner, and it would have been a great game for Greenwood considering the amount of space and 1v1 chances against defenders our forwards found themselves in. We played a different shape too, so to draw conclusions that we are more balanced without them is incredibly premature.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I can't believe how quickly some of ya'll believe half of what other people say to make judgement of his character. Nobody of ya'll know jack shit but you're afraid to admit it I'll bet it. Ah, wasn't it the day when you could go around judging the people in your village based on what the chat was in the supermarket, these days you need to show a link and a quote from a respected newspaper to gossip around without conscience or self-awareness.

snowkarl

I can't believe how quickly some of ya'll believe half of what other people say to make judgement of his character. Nobody of ya'll know jack shit but you're afraid to admit it I'll bet it. Ah, wasn't it the day when you could go around judging the people in your village based on what the chat was in the supermarket, these days you need to show a link and a quote from a respected newspaper to gossip around without conscience or self-awareness.
The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Times have reported it.

Your post is barely literate so I won't bother with the rest of it.

It's fact. Deal with it. Drop the conspiracy angle already.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Well, it’s nothing to worry about until it is. We’ve had successes in shielding young players & we’ve failed trying to shield them. A lot of it is on the player, no doubt, but the club can be culpable as well.

You bring up his talent in your first sentence. Who really cares about that if he is breaking the rules? We’ve let players slide in the past who were very talented, that's not a healthy approach. It shouldn’t be his talent that gets him out of trouble (that sounds a bit Pollyanna-ish, I know, but viewing the player irrespective of talent & meting out punishment across the board evenly should be the proper response). He’s also only what, 19? He really hasn’t earned that much credit with the club to spend to lessen a punishment or reduce scrutiny.

How is the media labeling him? They apparently are reporting a corroborated story about why he is not playing. Is this not news?

I understand wanting to give players the benefit of the doubt, but just because he is a quality starlet doesn’t mean he should escape scrutiny. Yes, this is the first time we have heard about his lack of punctuality, but it’s not the only transgression he has suffered recently. That’s why I made the tripwire comment - how many different instances of failing in his duties has to occur before we don’t give him the benefit of the doubt or look the other way simply because of his quality on the pitch.

The kid’s going to do ignorant things, but that doesn’t mean he should skate by & not be punished for the indiscretions. He should stop putting himself in these positions in order to stay out of the media, simple as.
True, exactly true. We shouldn't worry until we have a reason to know that things have gone bad. What is worrying going to do at this point? Mostly it will result in people, fans treating a 19 year old boy differently based on not what he does on the pitch, talks in interviews or generally behaves but on the worst stories that can come out in the media.

He has to take culpability but so do I. Yes, he is 19 years old but I'm a grown ass man I'm not about to take a shit on someone I don't know or tell him he is a bad boy because he might have done some dumb shit. That is something a stupid kid would do, not a grown man. So on that note, nothing to worry about until it is. For me anyways. Ole is his boss so I'm sure he'll be there for him if needs be.
what has he done?
- Questionable videos with him in the internet (this is not acceptable that anything of this sort gets to public domain, period. What he does alone - no one cares, but it shouldn’t be on the internet)
- some ... well, paid services ... in Iceland in breach of coronavirus protocol during his debut call up to the national team (and instead of preparation for games - i.e. obviously wrong priorities)
- rumours of recent disciplinary problems already after a wake-up call in Iceland (and his omission from the team with vague explanations from the manager more or less confirms this)

All the above is totally unacceptable for a player of his status. So, amends are required, otherwise it won’t end well
A player of his status? He has never been a bigger celeb than the night before and that'll be the case for many years to come. That's not always easy to deal with, and at his age some stupid shit done on the internet will come out until he learns that people will feck him over if given half a chance.

The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Times have reported it.

Your post is barely literate so I won't bother with the rest of it.

It's fact. Deal with it. Drop the conspiracy angle already.
It was sarcasm not illiteracy, not that there is anything wrong with that. Either way, I shouldn't be having to quote The Guardion, The Telegraph and the Times to chat some shit about a 19 year old kid if he has done bad. If he has done bad he deserves it as he earns more money in a year than I ever will and it pisses me off!

The kid loves football, lives for football and is a natural. It's as clear as day that he'll give United plenty of years of great service based on his football ability. I don't care what he does outside the pitch. He can bang Giggs wife, Moyes daughter, Rooneys granny for all I care and smoke weed on vacation if it makes him a happy man. He is a very professional trainer and loves his craft. If you can't see that, think a bit longterm here and understand that at this moment in time he is a kid transitioning into a grownup world. It's not just about him being a "bad boy", and if he indeed is acting out then it's out of character and it's probably a reason. Let me know what your personal punishment for this catastrophe should be then if you could pick. This should be good.

snowkarl

The kid loves football, lives for football and is a natural. It's as clear as day that he'll give United plenty of years of great service based on his football ability. I don't care what he does outside the pitch. He can bang Giggs wife, Moyes daughter, Rooneys granny for all I care and smoke weed on vacation if it makes him a happy man. He is a very professional trainer and loves his craft. If you can't see that, think a bit longterm here and understand that at this moment in time he is a kid transitioning into a grownup world. It's not just about him being a "bad boy", and if he indeed is acting out then it's out of character and it's probably a reason. Let me know what your personal punishment for this catastrophe should be then if you could pick. This should be good.
I mean he literally is not right now, hence why he is being criticized.

Ole even said he doesn't sleep right and has to get a grip and now he's been involved in half a dozen controversies since the summer, how is that professional?

We thought Januzaj would give us 10 years of great performances too. Didn't happen though, did it?

Unless Greenwood changes and starts taking training and his career seriously, he won't be as good as he can be. Simple as.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I mean he literally is not right now, hence why he is being criticized.

Ole even said he doesn't sleep right and has to get a grip and now he's been involved in half a dozen controversies since the summer, how is that professional?

We thought Januzaj would give us 10 years of great performances too. Didn't happen though, did it?

Unless Greenwood changes and starts taking training and his career seriously, he won't be as good as he can be. Simple as.
You can suffer from sleep deprivation and have bad habits without it being traits of actual unprofessionalism. Just because you show up late for work doesn't mean that you do a bad job when you're there. Just because you can't handle living alone after moving out of your moms house and not going to bed at the right time isn't a sign that he is unprofessional. It is a sign that he is a normal ass kid :lol: Why do you need to be so dramatic by bringing up Januzaj, I'm not saying Greenwood can't fail I'm saying it will not be because at 19 he was really into Fifa and flirting with girls after experiencing his first freedom when moving out of his parents house. I'm not denying anything, I just don't believe this kid is portrayed in the right light at the moment when he is probably just adjusting to life on his own.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You can suffer from sleep deprivation and have bad habits without it being traits of actual unprofessionalism. Just because you show up late for work doesn't mean that you do a bad job when you're there. Just because you can't handle living alone after moving out of your moms house and not going to bed at the right time isn't a sign that he is unprofessional. It is a sign that he is a normal ass kid :lol: Why do you need to be so dramatic by bringing up Januzaj, I'm not saying Greenwood can't fail I'm saying it will not be because at 19 he was really into Fifa and flirting with girls after experiencing his first freedom when moving out of his parents house. I'm not denying anything, I just don't believe this kid is portrayed in the right light at the moment when he is probably just adjusting to life on his own.
Yeah he's certainly the victim of the United click bait formula right now. Best way to get about it is to working is arse off in training to get better and bang in a couple goals soon, and then it will all be forgotten. I'd be much more worried if the rumors were about poor attitude in training or in the dressing room.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah he's certainly the victim of the United click bait formula right now. Best way to get about it is to working is arse off in training to get better and bang in a couple goals soon, and then it will all be forgotten. I'd be much more worried if the rumors were about poor attitude in training or in the dressing room.
Exactly. I mean when we're talking about protecting academy kids from the media, this is the type of stuff that is relevant right? This is an example of why that is. It's nothing but harmful. Getting too much praise or being involved directly with creepy journalists is very on the nose 'protection from the media', so what do we actually mean by that? Surely it's protecting them from bad headlines and unnecessary pressure so they can learn, evolve and grown at their own pace. When you have a small problem, you want to fix it and move on. Once you blow it up it's all different.

I don't understand why he was called up to the national team when Ole said no. Once you play there, the media is crazy. I never heard one word about him until he was a english international and disappointing the nation. :lol:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Exactly. I mean when we're talking about protecting academy kids from the media, this is the type of stuff that is relevant right? This is an example of why that is. It's nothing but harmful. Getting too much praise or being involved directly with creepy journalists is very on the nose 'protection from the media', so what do we actually mean by that? Surely it's protecting them from bad headlines and unnecessary pressure so they can learn, evolve and grown at their own pace. When you have a small problem, you want to fix it and move on. Once you blow it up it's all different.

I don't understand why he was called up to the national team when Ole said no. Once you play there, the media is crazy. I never heard one word about him until he was a english international and disappointing the nation. :lol:
I also thought Southgate did a shit job at handling the situation as well, although I'm biased as I think Southgate is a moron in general.

edcunited1878

Regardless of what's going on, he needs to knuckle down and be a professional and dedicated himself on and off the pitch to maximizing his talents. We all see it, as does he. What he did last year was fantastic and record breaking, however he needs to back it up and sustain and improve his output and his overall contributions if he wants to be the guy for club and country.

Football waits for nobody. And if Martial picks up his form, Cavani starts contributing l, Rashford finds his feet like last year and recently...he's gonna have to earn his way back.

mav_9me

Regardless of what's going on, he needs to knuckle down and be a professional and dedicated himself on and off the pitch to maximizing his talents. We all see it, as does he. What he did last year was fantastic and record breaking, however he needs to back it up and sustain and improve his output and his overall contributions if he wants to be the guy for club and country.

Football waits for nobody. And if Martial picks up his form, Cavani starts contributing l, Rashford finds his feet like last year and recently...he's gonna have to earn his way back.
Which may not be a bad thing for him. Take him out of the spotlight a bit, let him earn his place. He is too good a talent.

Raven

He really needs to stop acting the prick if he wants to make it. Any average lad of his age is doing the same thing but they're not trying to become a star football earning hundreds of thousands a week. I don't for a second think Haaland is more talented but he is putting everything into becoming the best striker in the world, he sure as shit isn't turning up late to training.

Super Hans

Behaving like a kid sounds pretty darned unprofessional.

lysglimt

Scout
If you are paid the amount of money he is - he is not a normal ass kid. He has a job - he is not a student where he can do what he wants. If Greenwood doesn't understand that - let him go back to the U23s and maybe he will understand

Stretender

Greenwood is my favourite United player but because of the club's lack of football Direction, he has been over promoted.

I have said before we should not as a club be relying on a teenager to be our saviour.

He is behaving like any teenage brat I know of in England. They think the world owes them everything, know alot about their rights but surprisingly know less about their responsibilities. This is the xbox generation for you.

He is probably a good lad but typical of the current generation, he doesn't think he is doing anything wrong. He will be brought into line.

One thing I can say though is that United after Fergie has lost the media battle. Everything gets leaked out and the media are having a field day with United who are seen as a cheap news story nowadays.

City and Liverpool have better control over the media, I hear their press teams are efficient. For instance I know Phil Foden has been in trouble with Pep long before his Iceland antics, but those stories have never made it to any newspaper. Obviously the club has got a grip on it,in contrast to United where every single incident seems to be in the news all the time.

Last edited:

kirk buttercup

no need to overreact here. Have a word with him if it doesn't change send him back to the reserves for a few weeks . A bit of humble pie never hurt anyone . This reminds me of when Scholes ( I think it was him but am open to correction) said about Academy players behaving like Superstars before they kicked a football in the first team . Mason has done incredibly well for the first team but if he is to kick on and become the player he has the potential to be he will need to buckle down . Ronaldo is a great example of how to be the complete professional. Having said that he is young and when I was his age I would have lacked Maturity too so hopefully the chat helps.

Drainy

Ole has managed him perfectly so far.

Can tell he's trying to encourage more from him with the jokey digs about video games and heading training, and if his discipline is not the best it's right to confront it early.

Stretender

no need to overreact here. Have a word with him if it doesn't change send him back to the reserves for a few weeks . A bit of humble pie never hurt anyone . This reminds me of when Scholes ( I think it was him but am open to correction) said about Academy players behaving like Superstars before they kicked a football in the first team . Mason has done incredibly well for the first team but if he is to kick on and become the player he has the potential to be he will need to buckle down . Ronaldo is a great example of how to be the complete professional. Having said that he is young and when I was his age I would have lacked Maturity too so hopefully the chat helps.
People talk about Ronaldo like he was living like a monk.

The lad was hiring prostitures all the time and had such stories splashed over all the tabloids then. Fergie knew it but probably realised that he was still a young boy and let him do his talking on the pitch.

Greenwood for whatever he does in his private life must not let his performances drop on the pitch. He can only silence his critics that way.

jeff_goldblum

Greenwood is my favourite United player but because of the club's lack of football Direction, he has been over promoted.

I have said before we should not as a club be relying on a teenager to be our saviour.

He is behaving like any teenage brat I know of in England. They think the world owes them everything, know alot about their rights but surprisingly know less about their responsibilities. This is the xbox generation for you.

He is probably a good lad but typical of the current generation, he doesn't think he is doing anything wrong. He will be brought into line.

One thing I can say though is that United after Fergie has lost the media battle. Everything gets leaked out and the media are having a field day with United who are seen as a cheap news story nowadays.

City and Liverpool have better control over the media, I hear their press teams are efficient. For instance I know Phil Foden has been in trouble with Pep long before his Iceland antics, but those stories have never made it to any newspaper. Obviously the club has got a grip on it,in contrast to United where every single incident seems to be in the news all the time.
The bolded is just lazy nonsense. If you think modern kids are bad you'd have had a heart attack if you knew what our academy kids were up to in the 80s and 90s. Footballers of Greenwood's age even 15 years ago were regularly in the news for committing actual crimes. Greenwood needs steering and it seems that's what Ole's doing - just hope he finds the right balance of carrot and stick to get the most out of him.

Stretender

The bolded is just lazy nonsense. If you think modern kids are bad you'd have had a heart attack if you knew what our academy kids were up to in the 80s and 90s. Footballers of Greenwood's age even 15 years ago were regularly in the news for committing actual crimes. Greenwood needs steering and it seems that's what Ole's doing - just hope he finds the right balance of carrot and stick to get the most out of him.
It's not lazy nonsense, modern teenagers are not feral like your 80's generation but it is common knowledge that modern teenagers have less time for rules and authority. That is the point am making.

That is exactly what Greenwood has demonstrated both in Iceland and obviously at United going by the media stories.

Greenwood knows what rules apply to him at United and England but decided to go against the rules deliberately. I see this in kids all the time.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hope that the stories are overblown.

however IF they are true, then Mason should only look at examples of other kids who had the footballing world at their feet but threw it away, for example Morrison.

hopefully he and some of the other kids will look at Cavani and his training regime the same way cantona inspired Neville, Beckham, scholes etc. They all did voluntary extra training because Eric was. Neville gave up his outside influences to totally dedicate himself to football because he wasnt as technically gifted.

successful people in football all tend to have a dedication to being as good as they can, i hope the penny drops soon for Mason

Matthew84!

So 1 paper reports a story that ole says isn't true so a few more make a new story up, people must realise half of what is said in papers isn't true, what ever helps to sell papers

kirk buttercup

The lad was hiring prostitures all the time and had such stories splashed over all the tabloids then. Fergie knew it but probably realised that he was still a young boy and let him do his talking on the pitch.

Greenwood for whatever he does in his private life must not let his performances drop on the pitch. He can only silence his critics that way.
I thought it was Rooney that was splashed all over the press for that but there you go you learn somethingnew everyday . But I have read about Ronaldo he would do extra training on free kicks etc. this is well documented. I'm not saying he was a monk but he is still at the top and thats down to hard work not just talent .

I thought it was Rooney that was splashed all over the press for that but there you go you learn somethingnew everyday . But I have read about Ronaldo he would do extra training on free kicks etc. this is well documented. I'm not saying he was a monk but he is still at the top and thats down to hard work not just talent .
I don’t remember hearing much about Ronaldo at all. I remember he went out with Gemma Atkinson, that got a bit of press and that was it.

jeff_goldblum

It's not lazy nonsense, modern teenagers are not feral like your 80's generation but it is common knowledge that modern teenagers have less time for rules and authority. That is the point am making.

That is exactly what Greenwood has demonstrated both in Iceland and obviously at United going by the media stories.

Greenwood knows what rules apply to him at United and England but decided to go against the rules deliberately. I see this in kids all the time.
I guess I just don't buy that modern kids are more 'out of control' than any other generation of kids were. Greenwood has done some daft stuff, but he'd have to do a lot worse to demonstrate he has 'less time for rules and authority' than young players of previous generations. As I said above, Greenwood's equivalents in previous generations regularly found themselves on the wrong side of the law and the police, never mind the rules of the club and the manager.

Even leaving out the salacious stuff, a cursory reading of any 90s or 2000s United player's autobiography will reveal a level of disregard for club rules both by young players and senior players that far exceeds anything Greenwood has done. The main difference is that in the absence of social media, camera phones etc. it was far easier to keep the (non-criminal) stuff internal to the club rather than splashed across the back pages. Whilst on the one hand as a professional he has a degree of responsibility for understanding and managing that additional visibility and scrutiny, it's yet another level of added pressure on top of all the usual things young players at top clubs deal with and kids will always make the odd mistake.

dalriada

Greenwood clearly lacks the maturity at his age of, say, Marcus Rashford. Hopefully this is just gossip, or if it is correct, can be dealt with and he moves on. There have been a number of separate incidents now, though, that ring alarm bells, in the sense that the incidents themselves are trivial but look as if they point to a problem of attitude.

There have certainly been players with controversial lifestyles - Rooney, for instance, and most certainly Cristiano Ronaldo. In their cases, they have been aired in the media, but the players managed to separate their approach to their private or social lives from their attitudes to their football. Nobody would question Ronaldo's commitment to his fitness or improving his football skills (although Rooney's lifestyle was criticised at times for the impact it was said to have on his fitness), and generally the controversies around them occurred well after they'd become established celebrities. They didn't have to contend with Twitter and the like during their earlier years.

Greenwood's behaviour (some of which we know about, some just media reports so far) fits more into the pattern of previous players who have shot to prominence at a young age and haven't had the maturity or intelligence to realise that they still need to put the work in and not let the sudden celebrity go to their heads. I remember Warren Joyce naming three who he said could have gone on to great things, but lacked the self-discipline to do the hard work once they came near the first team - Adnan Januzaj, James Wilson and Federico Macheda.

If this all sounds over-serious for a 19-year old misbehaving, the reality is that it could be the difference between being a world-class player (for which Greenwood clearly has the talent) and a shooting star who everyone remembers for what he could have been if he'd knuckled down. As Ole said the other day, it's what's between the ears that makes the difference.

cyberman

I don’t remember hearing much about Ronaldo at all. I remember he went out with Gemma Atkinson, that got a bit of press and that was it.
Didnt he nearly kill himself in a car crash and get accused of rape ( put himself in that position and not concentrating on football by this ridiculous logic)

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Easily fixed. Get the head down and work hard for a couple of months. Plenty of good pros there to help him out. If he can't manage that, he's not the character we thought he was. I've no doubt it'll all work out fine.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
From memory when Anderson and Nani first joined us and were living with him he hired a bunch of hookers for all of them. I guess you could say he was just being a good host.

passing-wind

Seems convenient that as soon as Greenwood is offered a new contract his behavioural issues seem to be all over the place. This is why Rashford deserves more praise because hardly any teenagers / very young adults can handle the lifetime perks of playing for a big club and having the financial capacity to reflect that reality.

Greenwood is barely in the squad in terms of consistency. Could be another case of Dembele and unfilled potential there's no excuse.

UncleBob

Erm, no.

UncleBob

From memory when Anderson and Nani first joined us and were living with him he hired a bunch of hookers for all of them. I guess you could say he was just being a good host.
A bunch of them is a bit of an overstatement. They hired high end escorts who decided to leak information about the encounter, complaining about how they were only interested in fecking them.

OverratedOpinion

The club should force him to watch Ravel Morrison play for ADO Den Haag who finished 17th in the Dutch league.

Status
Not open for further replies.