5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsCallout

My point is from what I know about him I never heard anyone ever say he is a winger.
We gave so many players so many chances at all different positions trying to get the best out of them, you would think someone like Mason who is already a proven goal scorer would get a run at what is obviously his natural position.
I dont think so.

He hasnt had the physical capabilities to play the no.9 role at this level. So rightly we got him facing play by putting him RW.

As others have mentioned he's developed a lot physically now, I expect he'll learn a lot from Cavani this year and we can expect Greenwood to be playing CF next season more often.

jb8521

He played quite a few positions while playing for the U18s, mainly as a striker though. @Beaucoup and @jb8521 might be able to share some more insight into what positions he played before he moved up to the U18s.
He played quite a lot as a 10 and on the right wing before he moved up to the u18s

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It makes sense to play him on the right for the foreseeable because when he gets in that final third on the right side of the field, it's almost a cheat code if the ball is on his left and the angle is favourable.

mav_9me

My point is from what I know about him I never heard anyone ever say he is a winger.
We gave so many players so many chances at all different positions trying to get the best out of them, you would think someone like Mason who is already a proven goal scorer would get a run at what is obviously his natural position.
He is not a winger. I'm pretty sure of that. But we don't play with wingers in the traditional sense either right? More of wide forwards.

Others can correct me but he played as No. 9 but in the academy we don't need them to play with the back to goal but in senior football that strength and hold up play is important no? I just think we are waiting on him to develop those aspects and physically develop before playing him as no.9. I did think earlier this season that his strength was improving.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He is a deadly weapon against tired defenses. I say play Martial/Cavani/Rashford trio from the start (more reliable) and then switch one of them with Greenwood. He is feckin rapid forward, and looks fully in control over the ball when running. He only loses the ball due to bad decision making (not due to heavy touch like Rashford) which is no big deal really.

He is insanely talented, I think Ole's managed him wisely.

Strelok

I've said it before but he's keeping his game simple at the moment, he showed fantastic dribbling ability in the youth teams. His crossing's quite good as well, he even got an assist from a cross for Fernandes against Brighton last season. Not that I think he should play as a traditional winger either, there's just a lot more to his game that he's still yet to showcase.
Imo it's simply because he was playing against the youth teams. Lingard would dribble past most of them but we all know how he'd do in the PL. It's just a problem of levels I think. I haven't seen him doing such in the PL.

About that 'cross' no I don't think it's a cross. It's a medium distance soft loft pass I think. You watch the crosses from Telles and you'd see the differences. The distance is much further and you gotta hit the ball with much more force. It's just different and I haven't seen him doing such in the PL.

Both the dribbling and crossing imo if he can do it he'd do it already. We've been watching him for more than a year so imo it's kinda safe to say he wouldn't yet.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We'd have more of a chance winning the league with a world class no.9 and Greenwood on the right than Martial as no.9 and a world class right winger. It's not a dig at Martial btw.

I think people are exaggerating with Greenwood not being a natural right winger. He killed it there last season. And tbh, asides from Sancho alot of people saw the other right wingers we could get as back up to Greenwood

We'd have more of a chance winning the league with a world class no.9 and Greenwood on the right than Martial as no.9 and a world class right winger. It's not a dig at Martial btw.

I think people are exaggerating with Greenwood not being a natural right winger. He killed it there last season. And tbh, asides from Sancho alot of people saw the other right wingers we could get as back up to Greenwood
I tend to agree with you. However, if Greenwood doesn’t play on the right, we have a huge hole. We can better cover attack. Having said that, I think Haaland is by far the better player, and he’s a player that could be the missing part of the jigsaw.

RUCK4444

I get that Greenwood is the best we have at RW but I hate the constant lazy talk that he can just stay out there for the time being. Lazy comparisons to the likes of Henry who learned his trade as a winger. This kids an immensely two-footed finisher who is perfect to grow into the no 9 that weve needed since RVP.

Think about what we have in Greenwood, a potentially elite level striker and we are content pushing him on the wing in the hope Martial turns up every game.

Players with his numbers at his age play in their preferred position and most importantly learn to improve in their destined position.
Wonder kids like Rooney, Felix, Haaland, Sancho, Mbappe etc - they play and develop in their proper positions.

So it doesn’t sit well with me all the long talk about Mason on the right.

Buy a top DM and RW. That must be our plan for recruitment. Mason then rotates with whoever the incumbent striker is at that time for the no 9 spot next season.

I’d rotate Martial and Rashy on the left, Mason and Cavani in the no 9, New RW and James on the right. Players in the proper positions.

They can still swap positions for injury cover etc but let’s aim for a balanced team for once.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Last season at one point I really thought he is going to be same level as Haaland, maybe even going to be better as he seems to have higher ceiling.

But this season, it has been Haaland 10/10, Greenwood 6/10. Not even close.

Haaland, 20 years old, 17 goals in 13 games
Greenwood, 19 years old, 2 goals in 9 games

Last edited:

STYLOISRED

Last season at one point I really thought he is going to be same level as Haaland, maybe even going to be better as he seems to have higher ceiling.

Player development is nonlinear. Messi and Ronaldo didn't develop at the same rate.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Greenwood’s not really had consistent games so far this season, 6/10 is generous based on his contribution so far. He’s not really made 9 appearances either, he was subbed on late in 4/9 games he played, he’s got 319 minutes to Haaland’s 1031. At the moment he doesn’t play striker so it’s a bit pointless comparing his and Haaland’s goal output until Greenwood gets the opportunity to play up top, you’d be better off comparing his numbers with Sancho as they actually play the same position.

SAFMUTD

A little bit harsh to expect him to match Haaland's numbers ain't it?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
A little bit harsh to expect him to match Haaland's numbers ain't it?
It was harsh now, but it wasn't that harsh last season. Point is, liken many of you here, I really believe him to be generational type of talent too. Remember we even compare him to L.Ronaldo, Rooney, Owen etc at same age.. but its seems he is bit far behind now - the real generational talent seems to be Haaland only.

tjb

2 goals in 9 games with maybe 2 starts.

HowYouDoin

Yeah same here. Really expected Greenwood to be our best striker and to be mentioned in the same sentance with Haaland but in all fairness he's had some personal problems, he hasnt played in many games, games he played he got scraps, few minutes here and there and he is being played out of position as a winger on top of it all.

I mean there's a reason why young players choose to go to Dortmund to develop.

With that being said, Mason will get there this year. You and me, our eyes were not deceiving us last year. Greenwood is a generational talent
Sooner or later this year he will go on a good run and start scoring for fun.
He is just way too good not to.

Strelok

It was harsh now, but it wasn't that harsh last season. Point is, liken many of you here, I really believe him to be generational type of talent too. Remember we even compare him to L.Ronaldo, Rooney, Owen etc at same age.. but its seems he is bit far behind now - the real generational talent seems to be Haaland only.
He is. I've absolutely no doubt about that. I haven't seen such natural talent since Messi I think. My only worry is how his mentality would develop. And his strength and heading.

Haaland imo is just a freak who happens to fully physically developed at an early age. And he has the mentality of a full grown up as well. Like Messi, Rooney. Most of the non freak players would get ready physically and mentally by the time they reach 20-22 yo. Some even later. Not everyone is like everybody else.

People will call me crazy but I'm of the opinion that one day he'll be better than Haaland. Haaland for all his blessing physically imo is quite average technically. He'll be a really great goal scorer but not as great footballer as one day Greenwood will be. He's scoring for fun in the Bundes but anyone watch that league would know how shite most of the defenses there are. The current Greenwood, if he is playing in that league, and for Dortmund imo would have at least the same number.

P/s: I didn't mean he has the same natural talent as Messi. That guy is just a freak of the freaks. I mean I haven't seen any better natural talent than Greenwood since Messi.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Haaland imo is just a freak who happens to fully physically developed at an early age. And he has the mentality of a full grown up as well.
I can’t wait till Mason has filled out a bit. So much potential and once he has matured physically he has every attribute to be a weapon as a CF.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is. I've absolutely no doubt about that. I haven't seen such natural talent since Messi I think. My only worry is how his mentality would develop. And his strength and heading.

Haaland imo is just a freak who happens to fully physically developed at an early age. And he has the mentality of a full grown up as well. Like Messi, Rooney. Most of the non freak players would get ready physically and mentally by the time they reach 20-22 yo. Some even later. Not everyone is like everybody else.

People will call me crazy but I'm of the opinion that one day he'll be better than Haaland. Haaland for all his blessing physically imo is quite average technically. He'll be a really great goal scorer but not as great footballer as one day Greenwood will be. He's scoring for fun in the Bundes but anyone watch that league would know how shite most of the defenses there are. The current Greenwood, if he is playing in that league, and for Dortmund imo would have at least the same number.
Err... Haaland did score like 16 goals in 12 CL games so far... the record holder.
By this rate he may even break Ronaldo CL goal record one day.

Strelok

Err... Haaland did score like 16 goals in 12 CL games so far... the record holder.
As I said, he's quite fully developed. And of course he's much better than the current Greenwood. That's no doubt.

What I tried to say was his number in Bundes and Greenwood number in the PL is not comparable. And Greenwood, despite how limited he is now imo would score for fun in that Bundes, if he's playing for a team like Dortmund of course.

HowYouDoin

Theyre different types of players.

Greenwood is more of a finesse striker like RVP.
Haaland..no idea who to compare him with. He is RVN with Zlatan's physicality

I do think Haaland will always be better but both will be world class

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
As I said, he's quite fully developed. And of course he's much better than the current Greenwood. That's no doubt.

What I tried to say was his number in Bundes and Greenwood number in the PL is not comparable. And Greenwood, despite how limited he is now imo would score for fun in that Bundes, if he's playing for a team like Dortmund of course.
What I mean is, its not like we see many players scoring 16 goals in 12 CL games from any clubs, no matter how well developed they are. Those who have these numbers, usually end up winning Ballon D'or.

Strelok

What I mean is, its not like we see many players scoring 16 goals in 12 CL games from any clubs, no matter how well developed they are. Those who have these numbers, usually end up winning Ballon D'or.
He surely may one day, once he moves to a top club and continues to score there. In the bigger stages. He is and will be a really great goal scorer.

As I said, people will call me crazy. Maybe I'm. Maybe not. But I haven't seen any better natural talent than Greenwood since Messi. That I'm sure about. I'm only not sure about how that talent would develop. But I choose to believe.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Haaland is physically gifted, Greenwood is not. This is the major difference between two.

The_Midfielder

His injury, off field issues and Ole playing him less has reduced his impact this year.. but it is a long season.. he will start firing soon..

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Something seems fundamentally off about Mason. Today in pre-match, Ole said Mason is having problems (off the pitch) and they are trying to help him. That doesn't sound good. Greenwood is a generational talent (bigger talent than Rashy), it would be heartbreaking to see him throw it away.

He surely may one day, once he moves to a top club and continues to score there. In the bigger stages. He is and will be a really great goal scorer.

As I said, people will call me crazy. Maybe I'm. Maybe not. But I haven't seen any better natural talent than Greenwood since Messi. That I'm sure about. I'm only not sure about how that talent would develop. But I choose to believe.
Neymar? Mbappe?

I think he’s a big talent, and hopefully he maximises it. He’s at the best club to do that, and got the right manager as well. OGS managed him superbly last season. Clearly there are difficulties this season, but I’m confident he will get through them.

Strelok

Neymar? Mbappe?

I think he’s a big talent, and hopefully he maximises it. He’s at the best club to do that, and got the right manager as well. OGS managed him superbly last season. Clearly there are difficulties this season, but I’m confident he will get through them.
Tbh no. I don't rate Neymar really high.

Mbappe is just another freak who matured early like Messi, Rooney. I rate Mbappe very high as a player, he's probably the best attacker in the word now but in term of natural talent I don't think his is better than Greenwood's.

Chief123

He is a deadly weapon against tired defenses. I say play Martial/Cavani/Rashford trio from the start (more reliable) and then switch one of them with Greenwood. He is feckin rapid forward, and looks fully in control over the ball when running. He only loses the ball due to bad decision making (not due to heavy touch like Rashford) which is no big deal really.

He is insanely talented, I think Ole's managed him wisely.
I agree with some of this, but I wouldn’t regard Greenwood as rapid. Pace is probably the least of his strengths. He’s not slow but he’s not rashford/James pace either.

Strelok

I agree with some of this, but I wouldn’t regard Greenwood as rapid. Pace is probably the least of his strengths. He’s not slow but he’s not rashford/James pace either.
Gifted Academy product Mason Greenwood recently threw his name into the hat to become United’s fastest player this season by producing a blistering top speed of 37.60 km/h. That is higher than any other Red this campaign.
https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/...an-utd-player-in-premier-league-season-so-far

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No significant difference. He's in the top Tier in the League anyway.

I wonder if any team has faster front 3 in EPL.

Strelok

No significant difference. He's in the top Tier in the League anyway.

I wonder if any team has faster front 3 in EPL.
Liverpool has, and probably Chelsea. Speed is the last thing the PL team lacks I think.

Chief123

I’ve seen this stat churned out a few times regarding this point. He recorded the fastest speed and overtook Fred who was in 1st place. There’s so much context missing from this.

Pace over a short space and explosive acceleration would not be factored into this. Also just because he clocked the highest doesn’t make him the quickest. The others might not have had the opportunity or moment to achieve the same.

Its clear to the naked eye that Rashford and James are our quickest players.

Strelok

I’ve seen this stat churned out a few times regarding this point. He recorded the fastest speed and overtook Fred who was in 1st place. There’s so much context missing from this.

Pace over a short space and explosive acceleration would not be factored into this. Also just because he clocked the highest doesn’t make him the quickest. The others might not have had the opportunity or moment to achieve the same.

Agreed that Rashford and James has better acceleration but it's rather a small gap and you saying pace is the least of his strength is not correct at all.

And didn't you say pace?

Borys

Statistics Wizard

To the naked eye I don't see any difference between Greenwood, Martial and Rashford - I believe all 3 are rapid.

Mason and Anthony have significantly better control on the run than Marcus, what is far more important than being 1% quicker in a dry race.

Status
Not open for further replies.