Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is starting to look like a real player in more than one aspect of the game. Solid performance. Actually developing in that right wing role, and if it continues I'm happy but he should get more chances as a striker if Martial and Rashford continues to kinda suck.

Hoof the ball

overplaying teenagers before their bodies are fully mature can and does have lasting negative effects in their careers.
It's bone development and muscular strength that isn't mature in teens, not cardiovascular conditioning and recovery. It's scientifically proven through ample sports science studies and journals that a teenager will burn out slower than someone not in their teens.

It is non teens who require minute management as their metabolic rate is less advantageous to continual minutes.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Hitting good form at a good time.
Once he gets his shooting boots back on consistently, he'll be rocking again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Glad he's finally showing some of the other sides of his game he did in the academy, he's always had a very complete skill set and now he's growing in confidence he's really starting to show what he's all about, he's so much more than just a finisher.

el3mel

meaning he didn’t play 30 mins of extra time. Are you trying to prove my point or yours? :D
Meaning playing 15 or 30 more minutes weren't going to "burn him out" or affect his career negatively. So over the top. He already played 86 minutes. If we want to not "burn him out" then should have subbed him off around 60 minutes I guess ?

And again, Martial and Rashford were playing at even more rate back when they were 19 years old starting their career here. They even played more considering there weren't more good subs back then. Didn't seem like it burnt them out or affected them negatively.

This was a tactical sub. Ole clearly trusted Rashford and Martial to score a goal in extra time more than him.

Mark Pawelek

I think if Greenwood got the chances Martial got tonight it would've ended 3 - 0, or 4 - 0. Let's see him at centre forward with Diallo on the right wing.

acnumber9

At least he’s being brought off near the end of games rather than half time or 60 minutes in. I wonder if it’s a stamina thing, and Solskjaer knows better than we do if he doesn’t have 90 minutes plus in him yet. It does infuriate me though.

Meaning playing 15 or 30 more minutes weren't going to "burn him out" or affect his career negatively. So over the top. He already played 86 minutes. If we want to not "burn him out" then should have subbed him off around 60 minutes I guess ?

And again, Martial and Rashford were playing at even more rate back when they were 19 years old starting their career here. They even played more considering there weren't more good subs back then. Didn't seem like it burnt them out or affected them negatively.

This was a tactical sub. Ole clearly trusted Rashford and Martial to score a goal in extra time more than him.
perhaps that’s the case. Rashford had an assist, and Martial had some good chances to score.

I love Greenwood, he’s (hopefully) going to be a great player, but I see no issue in managing his game time at this stage of his career.

Bwuk

Should never come off to allow Rashford to go on the right.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Muscular and knee injuries are not the same as cardiovascular performance and recovery. Owen had physical injuries that caused his decline. He wasn't burned out, he was weakened by injuries. Has nothing to do with number of minutes played.
And what caused those injuries? Too much football when he was still growing. You have to carefully manage the workload of teenage footballers. We know that now after what happened to players like Michael Owen.

MattyB1986

His all round game has improved recently... I echo some posters here, where I was mythed he was the one subbed out of the front 3 tonight. Good performance.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How much less can Martial offer before Ole moves Greenwood into the middle for a try? If Cavani is unavailable, it couln't be worse imo.

Oldyella

I thought he was the best of the front 3, unlucky that he's nearly always the one to come off.
Yeah he is, although Rashford no matter how bad can always produce something just like last night.

It's fine for now anyway, for his age hes getting a lot of first team football, maybe a little too much? Rashford often looks knackered now and hes got 250 games already at what, 23? Too much imo.

Coops73

Played well last night, I would like to see him get a chance or 2 through the middle when Cavani isn’t playing, it’s got to be worth a go with the form martial is in.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Only issue for me is that Mason is not a right winger. He can cross the ball and usually don't give the ball when he has too. He always shoots or tries to do his 1000 step overs. He's not as fast as Rashford, so I don't see him in the long term as a winger, but probably more as a second striker rather than a lone 9

EdinburghDevil

He looks to be coming back in to form again which is good. Best of the front 3 for me last night and Martial or Rashford should have come instead.

Ole seems to have predetermined substitutions. If it's x situation in the game I will make this sub and if it's y then I will do this.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When he first came into the team he was mainly just a good shooter, now his actual all round game is really good but seems like he's lost his shooting a little.

Once he recovers his confidence again he's going to be a hell of a player! loved seeing him bring out some of his tricks too, that berba spin was :drool:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's bone development and muscular strength that isn't mature in teens, not cardiovascular conditioning and recovery. It's scientifically proven through ample sports science studies and journals that a teenager will burn out slower than someone not in their teens.

It is non teens who require minute management as their metabolic rate is less advantageous to continual minutes.
Pseudoscientific nonsense. If someone has bones that are still developing don’t you think that might be an issue if they’re put under constant and repetitive extreme workload?

And I have absolutely no idea what their metabolic rate has to do with any of this.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Yup. Just because hes currently playing better than Martail and Rashford does not mean he should play more.

Hes got a bright future and we need to manage him carefully
If he keeps developing, and that's by no means guaranteed, but IF he does I think he's the one striker you have who really does have the ability to reach the very very top. Although I did think the same about martial a few years ago. I bet that keepers and centre backs will already absolutely hate playing against him. When he has the ball at his feet he keeps it really close, making dispossession very difficult, and added to the fact that he's so two-footed and can generate a powerful accurate shot out of nowhere means he's an instant threat from so many attacking positions, and one with no obvious weak point for defenders to try to nullify. He's the classic example of a player who at 19, demonstrably has all the key attributes to be a worldie.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Disappointing comparing his numbers last year to this year, I appreciate that was never sustainable but to get to 5x less output is disappointing, he hasn't kicked on, he has a few good moments and has shown potential so obviously I would keep him but he does need to start showing some actual return for being in a front 3, 1 goal in 10 along with Martial's troubles isn't enough for me, I wouldn't send him on loan but I would love to know what's gone wrong for him this year.

Sylar

Not enough talk about his Berbatov like move on the wing. Shame nothing came from it. I do think hes playing deeper than he did last year. It seems more like a winger than a wide forward, but that may be because hes trying to see the ball more.

I do think theres a few games hes been really good first half and taking more responsibility on getting on the ball and passing it around, but second half he seems to fade.
Really want him to go on a run of scoring. Biggest shame is that some of the chances are falling to Rashford and Martial rather than him.

OldTrevil

He has upped his performances and it's great to see. These days defenders are rightly more wary of him, so he needs to vary his end product with the occasional cut back, cross to the far corner, clever chip and more one-twos with a striker partner and he'll be alright. His confidence and decisions will also improve once he gets back into goal scoring form.

West Brom 1:1 Man Utd

Holocene

He should've done better for the big chance he had. But he looked good when he came on. I loved that run from him while absolutely no one attacked the back post.

Polar

Greenwood was very fresh when he joined the match. He had some very nice rides down the line, something we’re not very used to. Very promising. He looked like a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.