5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

I think is all round game is much improved but in front of goal he’s not shooting as much or being as selfish as we’d wish.

Cavani and Bruno have been visibly frustrated at times when he has - not sure if that’s impacting him or not though.
He's adding more strings to his bow, the goals will come, he's been looking great lately.

Idxomer

He has looked stronger and more assured on the ball and can also hold off defenders much easier now.

I think he should be given a chance as the main forward soon.

RashyForPM

This season, Mason’s passing, crossing, work rate and most of all dribbling have definitely improved from last season. However, his finishing has declined to a quite drastic extent. He’s scuffing a lot of shots well wide now (Sheff Utd at home for one) and while it wasn’t an easy chance, he allowed Johnstone to make a save against him yesterday when last season, he’d have broken the net and sent Sam flying back to Carrington along with the ball.

Bringing out the stats, in the league last season, he scored a quite sensational 10 goals from 3.39 XG. This season, the decline is as dramatic as I described, scoring 1 from 2.62 XG. As a rough estimate, if he carried his finishing on from last season on to this, he’d have 7 goals and we’d certainly still be right on City’s heels (just saying, because our bad form recently is more down to the likes of DDG, Lindelof, Martial etc). So, while we certainly shouldn’t scapegoat him as he is a young lad and imo generational talent going through a bad patch, there is a point to be made there, albeit his goalscoring last season was remarkable.

Thankfully, he’s doing everything else right, and should definitely be starting over Martial as he is contributing a lot down the right channel and will regain his goalscoring form as simply based on his youth record and last season, he is a natural finisher. Meanwhile, the Frenchman has been nothing short of ineffectual and simply useless this season. Along with that, our two best attacking performances in 2021 came with a front line of Rashford-Cavani-Greenwood against Southampton and Everton. Then, Ole changes it to get his boy Martial in. Simply inexplicable.

One thing I must say though is that the fact we are still discussing his fortunes this season and how he can improve in such detail shows how much belief we have in the lad. I’d never make a long assessment like this on Martial for example, because I’ve had enough of him at the club.

Last edited:

Raveneye

Greenwood had one really, really deadly way to score dribbling in from the right corner of the penalty box, fooling the defender with a feint and shooting with massive power and precision. It was obviously a routine he'd worked on a lot in training and he scored several goals in a row like that. After this trick was studied by defenders, Mason's (relatively!) shallow repertoire and mediocre off the ball movement meant he became a more manageable threat. So I'm really glad Mason's been working on his all-round game even through a tough period in his personal life.

Reactions: Dargonk

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Greenwood had one really, really deadly way to score dribbling in from the right corner of the penalty box, fooling the defender with a feint and shooting with massive power and precision. It was obviously a routine he'd worked on a lot in training and he scored several goals in a row like that. After this trick was studied by defenders, Mason's (relatively!) shallow repertoire and mediocre off the ball movement meant he became a more manageable threat. So I'm really glad Mason's been working on his all-round game even through a tough period in his personal life.
I think his position is made quite difficult by the fact that the senior attackers are relatively short of goals. Like, how often does he get to come on in a comfortable situation and try a few take-ons, build his confidence by putting the occasional lump of a centre-back on his arse. I feel like a similar thing happened to Rashford

Real Sociedad 0:4 Man Utd

MattofManchester

If he wants to play upfront then he needs to stay there, although I think this has to do with our coaching staff as well.

He can't keep moving about the way he does, trying to be involved.

Zoo

I thought he was really good. The goal-scoring touch will return.

acnumber9

Did ok but he looks too desperate for the goal and he’s mis hitting a lot of his shots.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His passing's quality.

Was a quieter first half from him but grew in the second half.
If he wants to play upfront then he needs to stay there, although I think this has to do with our coaching staff as well.

He can't keep moving about the way he does, trying to be involved.
This is going to sound odd but I don't think he was meant to be the striker, Fernandes was almost the false 9 tonight with the attackers making runs off him constantly.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Shooting boots are well off at the moment. He did look very good in the second half though, excellent dribbling and some brilliant passes.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He was superb in the first half, but faded a bit in the second half. However, he was still maintaining our shape and retaining possession well. Elite management by Ole to needlessly substitute him in those final minutes. Really good decision.
What a stupid final comment.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feel for him. His overall play has been excellent lately and again was today, love him as a center forward. The goals will come, he gets in the position. Was very happy to see him lay it off to James that one that got ruled out, it's the right pass even though he would've been tempted to shoot.

kundalini

Best thing he did in the first half was getting back to cut out a dangerous cross. In the 2nd half it was a long pass that the keeper came out to clear ahead of Dan James. Offside stopped him getting an assist. Right foot shots were rubbish. 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 key passes, dispossessed once, 79% pass completion. Overall average performance.

Last edited:

Raven

Thought he was alright but not as good as he has been recently, still doesn't look ready to be our CF.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Really have been enjoying watching him lately. I love players like him that are so technical and good in tight spaces because you know they can play in any game no matter how much pressure the other side is applying. Someone who can retain possession when pressed by multiple players and play out of it can lead to easy chances even without having to do anything special themselves.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His awareness of other players is outstanding. Now when you think that he's a 19 y.o. striker, that's even more impressive.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was largely anonymous last night playing upfront, not the first time. Grew into the game a bit more in the second half though, but first half, it was easy to forget he was on the pitch at all - despite us having several good attacking moments.

Bwuk

I’m not worried about the lack of goals, we all know what a good finisher he can be.

His all round play is improving. I think we look better with him on the pitch.

romufc

Greenwood is developing, we know he can finish but what we are seing now is that he can hold up, link up and run in behind.

Earlier this season, when he was put through he would shoot, yesterday although he was offside he squared it to James, which was good to see from a development point of view.

bsCallout

Did ok but I was disappointed by some of his runs. So many opportunities in behind playing on the shoulder but he didn't seem interested compared to Rashford and Bruno
He was told to drop off to allow the other runners in behind. Ole confirmed it was tactical.

Cypriot

I’m not worried about the lack of goals, we all know what a good finisher he can be.

His all round play is improving. I think we look better with him on the pitch.
Completely agree. He's been brilliant when starting and when brought on a sub he's improved us every time.

Hope Ole see's this quickly and he starts more often as I genuinely believe we are much better with him.

Andersons Dietician

Got to give him props for that track back and block. Given how terrible his defensive work was earlier this season, the last few times he’s been played I’ve been impressed with the improvement in this aspect of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.