5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjb

Don't know how anyone can say that performance wasn't good. He's a prospect, the aim with him is to show us improvements in his game and he has continued to show that week after week. His strength on the ball, his balance when dribbling, his agility, his good first touch and general tiddyness are there for all to see. Is he creative, no. Is he a hard working winger...no. But at the end of the day, he's showing the attributes of a striker and for me, that's all that we can ask of him for now...displayed growth. Our fans can't yet be giving him the same expectations that Bruno, Pogba or Rashford have.

This is also the reason why we need to invest in an additional attacker, to ease the pressure and expectation on him. Giggs had Cantona Hughes Kamchelskis and Sharpe. Rooney had Saha, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo and Giggs. ETC

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Around this point in the season (game wise/season wise) that his performance level grew massively for us. If we're going to cement 2nd and end up with silverware, he's going to be key. Especially with all our other forwards running out of gas.

Marwood

As usual the best of the front three but as usual not involved enough. Ole has to sort that.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He's genuinely getting better every game. I hope we have a top sports psychologist working with him. The world truly is at his feet.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
As usual the best of the front three but as usual not involved enough. Ole has to sort that.
It's going to happen when he's the player on the right hand side. It's no coincidence he got his goal when he moved to the middle of the pitch

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he'll kick on and finish the season strongly. Still early days and very young, but its a good chance with an extended run to make the #9 his own. Martial out for a while and Cavani a bit shit, all his to show he can cut it. That's where IMO he'll eventually push through, but this period could be where he makes the step up.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's picked up Cavani habits. That automatic jog to the 6 yard box as the ball was floating down to Pogba shaping up for a volley was pure strikers instinct.

Love it.

zenith

He would be even more lethal in a 2 striker formation with cavani.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He can actually play that 9 role well if Rashford and another inverted winger play off of him. He's not quite the hold up player or dribbler that Martial is (when Martial is on form), but he's a better technical finisher and offers a two footedness that in the center of the box can make him unplayable. I still don't see him being a line leading type for a while because it's just going to require more growing physically, but he's certainly done better in the role than I've expected so far this year.

Sylar

So glad he got the goal and the winner too. And it was probably from the chance you would expect him not to score given the others he's had :lol:

Hopefully a confidence booster
Nice to see him complete the game too

Mr Smith

I think we should be making him our first choice up front. Martial is injured for the rest of the season and Cavani looks disinterested. We've got top 4 more or less wrapped up; there's a real opportunity now to give him a free hit run of games up top to see if he settles into the position.

ash_86

He was very ineffective in the wings because he's not a winger. When moved into middle , he was doing much much better.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Looking fitter and sharper to me - to be expected as he’s still learning about his body whilst it continues to develop. Still think it’ll be another season or two before he breaks out completely but signs are encouraging that he can be useful sooner rather than later.

gazbradley

Made up for the lad, he had a tough summer and it seemed to affect him this season. He definitely needs more games leading the line, he could save us having to spend big on a CF in the near future. Although he’s had good spells playing from the right he looks better suited central in the long term, top 4 looks wrapped up so be good to let him try and prove he’s good enough to be our main goal threat with a run of games. Wouldn’t actually be against a loan for him next season if Ole doesn’t think he’s ready, where there’s less pressure and he can get some consistency as a striker

In Rainbows

He was very ineffective in the wings because he's not a winger. When moved into middle , he was doing much much better.
Yep. Up front his job will be to hold up play, and score. Holding up the play is actually something he's been very good at in his young career. That's not to say that holding it up in the wing and doing it against bigger CB's and with less room is the same. It's just that he has it in him to do that job. On the wing, he now has to create for others through dribbling past players, or acting like a 10. Now he was a 10 at youth level, but clearly he has shown a lot of restraint in his positioning and has stuck to the wings. Meaning, he can only create when taking players on, which is not a strength of his. Yes he can dribble with space in front of him, but he's not someone who will dribble past players from a stand still like Sancho or Amad can do in the future.

It's not surprising he hasn't been as influential on the wings.

Pickle85

Best of our front three yesterday. Despite not scoring at the same rate this season his game has come on in leaps and bounds. He looks fitter, stronger and much more composed on the ball. Doesn't just throw a few stepovers and then try to shoot now and looks way better for it. It'll be good to get him scoring more regularly again but in terms of coaching i don't think there are many better equipped to help with that side of his game than Ole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 711

AneRu

I think we should be making him our first choice up front. Martial is injured for the rest of the season and Cavani looks disinterested. We've got top 4 more or less wrapped up; there's a real opportunity now to give him a free hit run of games up top to see if he settles into the position.
Agree with this, it could save us a tidy sum of money if it works out and the remaining games present a good sample size to gauge his readiness for more responsibility.
Even Amad himself isn't ready for that.
:lol:

Trex

Back to back goals now, and beginning to score other type of goals from the shimey and shoot, that would do his confidence good. I've been impressed by the hard work he has been putting in. I would like to see him primary play as a center forward next season, he still need to get stronger, that would come naturally, he also need to improve his runs to become well rounded.

Jonno

Last season his all-round play was raw and choppy, but he got loads of great goals.

This season, less goals but I'm much more impressed with his hold up play, decision making, passing and of course the goals will come due to his natural ability.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s worth saying that he’s also been a little unlucky on a number of occasions this season. Hit the post yesterday and I thought on another day, the ball would have bounced under the bar from the James layoff shot. He is probably due an additional 4/5 goals over the campaign this year.

Brightonian

It's not such a bad thing that his goal tally isn't reflecting his superb performances. If he was banging them in like last season and the media were actually paying attention to him, the hype would be out of control, because you can't watch his all-round game and not be excited.

RedIan

Thought he carried our biggest threat, was unlucky with that early superb strike that hit the post. Great to see him score with a Cavani type header and more so great to hear hes been working on his heading a lot in training.. i recall ole saying some time ago that if mason wants to be a top striker he has to work on his heading.

Devil may care

Had our best effort in the first half and grabbed a poachers winner, can't ask more than that given how we play.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's very neat in possession and as people have said, his all-round game is improving a lot.

Scored a proper strikers goal yesterday which Ole said he has to do more of.

If Cavani were to go next season, assuming we bring in a right-sided player, would people be happy with Greenwood/Martial sharing the number 9 role?

With Greenwood being 20 next season, I really think he needs to get a chance. If we splash out on a striker, I fear he will never get that chance.

Raw

He's very neat in possession and as people have said, his all-round game is improving a lot.

If Cavani were to go next season, assuming we bring in a right-sided player, would people be happy with Greenwood/Martial sharing the number 9 role?

With Greenwood being 20 next season, I really think he needs to get a chance. If we splash out on a striker, I fear he will never get that chance.
If it was between a RW and a striker then I'd go with the RW and Greenwood/Martial rotating. Sure we could get someone like Haaland but we'd still have a black hole on the right (don't think Amad is ready just yet).

AgentSmith

Happy’s the wrong word but I’d accept it if the other areas that need addressing (RW, CDM, CB) were properly sorted with genuine first-team options.

CG1010

He's picked up Cavani habits. That automatic jog to the 6 yard box as the ball was floating down to Pogba shaping up for a volley was pure strikers instinct.

Love it.
I have noticed that too! Plus he alluded to it in a recent interview too that he is trying to copy Cavani's returns. Teaching movement to Greenwood might end up being the biggest impact of Cavani's limited time here at United.

markhughes

He is very talented for sure, he has clearly had a difficult year professionally and personally but the world is at his feet if he continues to work hard.

GazTheLegend

It's easy to forget what an immense talent this kid is.
He really is so good. How often do you see an extremely fast, skillful, two footed natural finisher that happens to be developing a range of passing. He gets better every game. He's not scoring as many goals as last season but his level of overall performance at the minute gets better every week. Wonder what level he will get to in the end.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I enjoyed his hold up play and liked the way he took his goal. One thing I'd like to see is more quick shots, like when he hit the post. That's something we saw last season but this season I think he often takes that extra moment to set himself. He's capable of surprising keepers with a quick shot out the blue, I hope he brings more of that in.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Time to burst his bubble?
On a serious note, I think his poor form this season is down to his attitude/mentality.
Absolutely agree with you and I was about to say the same thing.
He has loads of natural talent and skill and can become a top player.
But I am beginning to question his character and his desire to improve.
Hope I am proved wrong.

Siezard

Greenwood's ability is so surreal and incredible! He has two amazing feet and a powerful head. It feels like RVP 2.0 but it's going to be long term this time!

Water Melon

He is very talented for sure, he has clearly had a difficult year professionally and personally but the world is at his feet if he continues to work hard.
Pretty much this. If he has Cristiano's desire and drive to improve himself, we will have a new RVP, with less injuries hopefully. Professionalism will play a key role in his career. The talent is obviously there.

Drainy

Absolutely agree with you and I was about to say the same thing.
He has loads of natural talent and skill and can become a top player.
But I am beginning to question his character and his desire to improve.
Hope I am proved wrong.
Stephen Howson said yesterday that Cavani has done a lot of extra work with him and he's been really receptive to the advice. I know people usually question Howson's insider info but he named Rio Ferdinand as the source and he is a guest on Rio's Five podcast so it's not likely to be bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.