5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjb

I think this is a good take on the situation. If Cavani and Pogba stay for another season I definitely think the focus will be on CM. Bailly has just signed a new deal and I think that must have come with some assurances so I am not convinced that we will be signing a CB. We don't have much cover for AWB at RB, I get the impression that Ole is not convinced by Brandon and it is still probably too early for Ethan Laird.
What I still don't really understand is, what was the plan for DVdB? Is he cover for Bruno?
DVB was worse than what we anticipated, that's becoming clear. I think it was simply a flop signing that Ole hasn't allowed to hurt our play.

Swedish_Plumber

DVB was worse than what we anticipated, that's becoming clear. I think it was simply a flop signing that Ole hasn't allowed to hurt our play.
There’s certainly been times where the least we could’ve done was given him a shot from the start. We’ve played magnificent football and tumescent football without him so I don’t think including him more often would necessarily hurt our play.
In fact in recent limited game time he’s shown an ability to help us create. I think it’s too early to call him a flop.

tjb

There’s certainly been times where the least we could’ve done was given him a shot from the start. We’ve played magnificent football and tumescent football without him so I don’t think including him more often would necessarily hurt our play.
In fact in recent limited game time he’s shown an ability to help us create. I think it’s too early to call him a flop.
I disagree. He can in the same way Pereira could. He literally doesn't attempt anything on the ball. I've constantly watched Holland to see how he looks with a team outside of Ajax, he can make a team look like they are playing with 10 men at times. He's way too passive. Imagine putting him and Mctominay in midfield?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Funny when people say he's having second season syndrome. Maybe he is but he's been steadily banging goals in for the second half of that second season. There's very few centre forwards doing what he's doing at this age.
He had a bad start to the season which I think was influenced by the England fiasco and the death of his friend. He's picked up some form in this last 3rd of the season so hopefully he can have a normal summer.

Although he might get picked for England but I think a summer off will do him a lot of good and he'll most likely get picked for the world cup next year so he won't have to wait too long.

Roma 3:2 Man Utd

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
So poor tonight. Walking and jogging around a few times in the first half when the chance to break came. He needs to be more aggressive and work harder. If we’d gone into this season with just Mason Rashford and Martial we’d still be battling it out for top 4 now if we were lucky

Last edited:

kundalini

Surprised he lasted 90 mins given his poor performance. Awful finish for his big chance from Fernandes' pass in the 2nd half. Not enough intensity in his game.

The United

His anticipation was lacking. But, obviously, he will learn if he wants to be a good striker/forward.

His movement suffers because of it.

Hoof the ball

When both Rashford and Greenwood play we suffer defensively since both of them aren't very aggressive off the ball in terms of their pressing. This can be somewhat excused in Rashford's case since he preserves his energy for frequent sprints on offensive transitions from deep, but Greenwood is much more static in the defensive and offensive transition. He definitely needs the kind of work ethic that has bled into Foden's game to supplement his natural talent.

Foxbatt

In the first half he had a chance to score but he was on his heels. The cross was a good one if he moved earlier. I do not think he is good enough to lead the line for any top team. Ole has already said in public that he needs to put his head in.

Marwood

He's still quite boyish in terms of his aggression, strength and personality.

Hopefully times improves all that as he has everything else.

In Rainbows

When both Rashford and Greenwood play we suffer defensively since both of them aren't very aggressive off the ball in terms of their pressing. This can be somewhat excused in Rashford's case since he preserves his energy for frequent sprints on offensive transitions from deep, but Greenwood is much more static in the defensive and offensive transition. He definitely needs the kind of work ethic that has bled into Foden's game to supplement his natural talent.
I wouldn't really compare Foden and Greenwood in terms of pressing. The system Pep has his players doing is much more organized and effective. It's much less rewarding to press in our system compared to Pep or Klopp's where you're more likely to see an interception happen allowing you to attack with fewer defenders. The attackers know this so it becomes easier to buy into pressing as an attacker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think that it's defensively that we suffer that much (fine if we have Fred and McTominay in midfield), our problem with both starting is creativity. Both Rashford and Greenwood are scorers, not creators, and we end up too narrow with no creators in the front 3. That's why Sancho is needed IMO. Balance out one of the wings.

tjb

Wow that's premature.
The only reason that looks premature at all is because he used to play for Ajax. Let's be honest here, when we saw Bellion, Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba we knew. When we saw Bebe or Obertan, we knew. With VDB, that's the level we are talking about.

bsCallout

The only reason that looks premature at all is because he used to play for Ajax. Let's be honest here, when we saw Bellion, Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba we knew. When we saw Bebe or Obertan, we knew. With VDB, that's the level we are talking about.
Because we've seen how VDB can play at Ajax. Very premature to write off a foreign player joing the prem, in their first season, especially during lockdown.

tjb

Because we've seen how VDB can play at Ajax. Very premature to write off a foreign player joing the prem, in their first season, especially during lockdown.
That's at Ajax, Ajax aren't United. He also consistently looks like this for Holland In addition, he's not like Havertz or Werner or a Forlan where some moves arent being pulled off but the skillset is there, VDB looks very limited, He can't dribble, has a poor passing range, consistently hides, is not balanced on the ball...he literally offers nothing. All I have seen from his is decent off ball movement and a great first touch. That's not enough to be at United. Even if he got better, his skillset doesn't match what we demand of our attackers. Best to sell him now when his value still seems a little high

bsCallout

That's at Ajax, Ajax aren't United. He also consistently looks like this for Holland In addition, he's not like Havertz or Werner or a Forlan where some moves arent being pulled off but the skillset is there, VDB looks very limited, He can't dribble, has a poor passing range, consistently hides, is not balanced on the ball...he literally offers nothing. All I have seen from his is decent off ball movement and a great first touch. That's not enough to be at United. Even if he got better, his skillset doesn't match what we demand of our attackers. Best to sell him now when his value still seems a little high
I understand that's your opinion if him but plenty hold a different view, and it's very premature to write a play off based on barely a season here.

tjb

I understand that's your opinion if him but plenty hold a different view, and it's very premature to write a play off based on barely a season here.
That's the standard we had and should have. Don't be mistaken Vidic and Evra had a few bad games, their first 6 months weren't terrible like people like to make out. It was poor in comparison to what they would later become. For the most part, to be at United, it's on the player to prove he belongs here. There are limited amount of spots available which many players would bite their right arm off to get. Pereira offered more last season than VDB has offered so far yet we flogged him off on loan. Lingard last season is better than anything VDB has shown for us. Yet he's at West Ham on loan.

bsCallout

That's the standard we had and should have. Don't be mistaken Vidic and Evra had a few bad games, their first 6 months weren't terrible like people like to make out. It was poor in comparison to what they would later become. For the most part, to be at United, it's on the player to prove he belongs here. There are limited amount of spots available which many players would bite their right arm off to get. Pereira offered more last season than VDB has offered so far yet we flogged him off on loan. Lingard last season is better than anything VDB has shown for us. Yet he's at West Ham on loan.
Lingard was awful last season and proved you don't know what going on to effect a players performances.

Give the player some time, he's barely played any minutes.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He looked a bit sluggish last night like he was drunk or something. Then the Roma players looked like they were on steroids. Amazing how much changes between home and away in Europe.

Aston Villa 1:3 Man Utd

PoTMS

Great end to the season from Mason. Surely has to be in the England Euro squad now it's a 26 man squad?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
How many for this season now? Looked like he might not even reach 5 or so at one point.

Brilliant player.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Awesome turn for the goal but it was actually a poor strike, we’d be criticising Hendo if he conceded that.

Eternitiy

Great turn and finish. He's developed his all around game considerably this season.

Zen86

Struggled at the beginning, but his all round game has improved so much in the second half of this season. The fact he’s brought the goals back into his game make him something special. He’s most exciting young player I can remember.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Seemed like he couldn't believe his luck when Mings inexplicably went down the road and allowed him a free shot at goal on his left. Greenwood was shaping up to move or lay the ball off and then realised the defender just wasn't there anymore. :lol:

I can only think that Mings somehow forgot he was left-footed :D

kiristao

Good finish for the goal. Decent game overall. If he wants to be a successful CF, he has to improve his off the ball movement and anticipation.
There was this moment in the 2nd half when Rashford won the header and Bruno hooked the ball forward. Greenwood was in a better position than the Villa defender yet the defender got to the ball simply because he was not willing to make the run. He ran only after he saw the pass rather than anticipate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.