Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What's your opinion about Greenwood becoming our mainstriker? This upcoming season transitioning to it and becoming the main man the season thereafter when Cavani leaves?
When i think about who should be our main striker, I ask myself whether a player is capable of doing what Kane did at Spurs over the past 7 seasons - namely average about 30 goals a year over a protracted period of time. Only Kane and Haaland fit that description imo. Greenwood is going to be closer in productivity to Martial than Rooney, RvN, RvP or the like

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If England win the Euro's, and Mason isn't transformed into a central player, I fear he woll have a very tough time being integrated within the squad.

Sterling and Saka will have special credit for their contributions during a historic campaign, whereas Rashford, Grealish, Sancho, Foden are all there as well. I doubt he's get in, in front of any of them.

He might be able to take on Calvert-Lewin, but it would be a shame if he really has to wait for Kane/Sterling to get too old to play.

At the same time, doubt any England fan cares.

Tony247

When i think about who should be our main striker, I ask myself whether a player is capable of doing what Kane did at Spurs over the past 7 seasons - namely average about 30 goals a year over a protracted period of time. Only Kane and Haaland fit that description imo. Greenwood is going to be closer in productivity to Martial than Rooney, RvN, RvP or the like
I agree too. So far he is sensational but don't know how much multidimensional striker he will develop into, but as of now I don't pin lot of hopes on him becoming a long term target man or a first choice striker for united. Teams have started closing down on him to deny his major weapon, i.e. drop shoulder, cut in or out and then fire a shot with all the power he got. He is not going to get those shots so easily. He will score a dozen though, but 30-35 goals a season needs a much more versatile striker. He is 19, so about 2 more years to see how he develops.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If England win the Euro's, and Mason isn't transformed into a central player, I fear he woll have a very tough time being integrated within the squad.

Sterling and Saka will have special credit for their contributions during a historic campaign, whereas Rashford, Grealish, Sancho, Foden are all there as well. I doubt he's get in, in front of any of them.

He might be able to take on Calvert-Lewin, but it would be a shame if he really has to wait for Kane/Sterling to get too old to play.

Then he just needs to improve and play better. Ensure you are good enough so you cant get dropped. Same for Rashford: prove you are better than Sterling

If he stays fit and on good form, he will get a chance.

Albeit in a different position, Walker was dropped recently for a number of games. Other players had a chance to stand a claim.

what none of the wide players, bar Sterling have shown is a consistent ability to score goals.that’s where he has a big advantage

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Rashford was ahead of Saka but due to his performance is on the bench now. Nobody thought 1 year back Saka would be starting.

If Greenwood becomes the player we all think he will, he will have no problem playing in that team.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Then he just needs to improve and play better. Ensure you are good enough so you cant get dropped. Same for Rashford: prove you are better than Sterling
Well Rashford had a much better season than Sterling and Sterling still was protected (correct in hindsight). It is some combination of PL performance and NT status, for which the 2nd factor will be huge for the stars if England win.

If he stays fit and on good form, he will get a chance.

Albeit in a different position, Walker was dropped recently for a number of games. Other players had a chance to stand a claim.

what none of the wide players, bar Sterling have shown is a consistent ability to score goals.that’s where he has a big advantage
That's true, the qualification round will be different though. Don't think England will play this pragmatic during that campaign and I truly wonder if he'd get picked in front of Sterling, Saka, Sancho, Foden, Grealish. His best shot might be overtaking Rashford.

Rashford was ahead of Saka but due to his performance is on the bench now. Nobody thought 1 year back Saka would be starting.

If Greenwood becomes the player we all think he will, he will have no problem playing in that team.
Rashford still had a much better season than Saka I'd say, barely got the chance for the NT too. Southgate can be very harsh if he isnt a fan it seems. He certainly favours certain players, same goes for Sancho/Grealish.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
oh please Southgate don't pick players on their ability, he picks his favourites

charlenefan

Im not a particular fan of Mount, but fans will never agree on everything. Saka has been bloody good in the games that he’s played.
well like you said fans won't agree on everything and I certainly don't agree that Saka has been bloody good in any of the games

Sterlings numbers for England in the last 2/3 years are sensational.
They are - yet many fans think he’s a favourite of Southgate because he wasn’t playing often for city. What % of England fans would actually have had him down as a starter?

he’s got something like 15 goals in his last 21 games. His presence caused the OG last night. As you say, sensational.

edcunited1878

Greenwood just isn't a good fit for what England and Southgate is doing. And that's okay. He's still going to be capped plenty of times as things continue to progress for him.

Sterling takes it to the opponents and Kane helps dictate and is the main focal point in the box. Saka defends, occupies space, and runs himself down...but is the better supplier than Greenwood. Greenwood has improved his overall game this past season and then came on very strong towards the end of the season with his goals. Saka is a player I'd like at United because he's team-first and scoring second. Rashford and Greenwood are score-first. Cavani is obviously the score first mentality and focal point. So having that balance of supplier and finisher is key.

charlenefan

Greenwood just isn't a good fit for what England and Southgate is doing. And that's okay. He's still going to be capped plenty of times as things continue to progress for him.

Sterling takes it to the opponents and Kane helps dictate and is the main focal point in the box. Saka defends, occupies space, and runs himself down...but is the better supplier than Greenwood. Greenwood has improved his overall game this past season and then came on very strong towards the end of the season with his goals. Saka is a player I'd like at United because he's team-first and scoring second. Rashford and Greenwood are score-first. Cavani is obviously the score first mentality and focal point. So having that balance of supplier and finisher is key.
we've got Sancho for that ;)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What makes you come to that conclusion? In his first full season he scored 17 goals in all competitions, in his second he got 12. He’s still only 19! His best trait is his insanely clinical finishing.

Chairman Steve

I don’t give two shits if Greenwood doesnt make it into England teams regardless if he’s playing like a prime RVP for Utd and banging in goals left, right and centre. It means he’s more fresh for us and significantly reduced risk of getting injured in pointless international friendlies, leading to our detriment.

I don’t give two shits if Greenwood doesnt make it into England teams regardless if he’s playing like a prime RVP for Utd and banging in goals left, right and centre. It means he’s more fresh for us and significantly reduced risk of getting injured in pointless international friendlies, leading to our detriment.
You don’t want any of our players to do well on the international stage? No matter what their nationality is.

you do realise players aspire to play international football? That being part of these tournaments and games is good for their development?

very short sighted and insular view.

spiriticon

If Greenwood doesn't make it to the England team, it's probably because he isn't banging them in left, right and centre for us...

He's 19. If he's scoring 20+ goals a season in a few years he will be in the team regardless of what happens this summer.

Saka is in the team because Southgate is a cautious manager and he prioritises defensive work. If we win on Sunday, you might find the pressure is off and he goes more attacking in future, and then Saka goes to the back of the queue. We saw vs Ukraine how much better England were with Sancho on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.