Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think you forget just how young he is. He is already one of the better players for one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he was playing for a lesser club every top side in the world would be after him. He's not a Haaland / Mbappe level talent, but he's the rung just below that.
Yeah I'd put him on the same level as Foden & Saka in the England set up currently

Frank Grimes

I think you forget just how young he is. He is already one of the better players for one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he was playing for a lesser club every top side in the world would be after him. He's not a Haaland / Mbappe level talent, but he's the rung just below that.
I'm well aware of his age. That's why I rate him as a good prospect but not the certainty that others speak of. I like him though, don't get me wrong.

macheda14

I'm well aware of his age. That's why I rate him as a good prospect but not the certainty that others speak of. I like him though, don't get me wrong.
I just don't see how you couldn't. He is easily the best young player to come through our academy this side of the millennium. He has pretty much every asset apart from heading that you want from a forward player. Excellent close control, good speed, two footed, strong, great passing and crossing technique, excellent finishing. The only things he doesn't have right now is a consistency in his decision making (he perhaps has too much belief in his ability to finish), heading and movement. These are things that are learnt, he has Ole, Cavani and Ronaldo to learn from. Every coach who has been interviewed about him and journalists who are close to the club all say he is a really committed student of the game, constantly asking questions and taking the advice on slowly but surely. Barring injury or a complete drop off in mentality, I just don't see how he isn't going to be an absolutely fantastic player based on the level he is already at at 19/20.

It's not just fans who think this. So many pundits think this, not just ex-united pundits. Even bloody Souness and he is reluctant to ever compliment a United player. Ian Wright spoke about how he played golf with SAF and SAF said he's one of the best they've ever had come out of the academy. I mean if you can't see it then I'd be surprised if you've ever seen it.

EtH

I think it is for that very reason that he is not considered a Haaland / Mbappe level talent. It is very different coming through for Monaco or Salzburg. Never mind playing as the focal point for PSG or Dortmund week in week out. Just how many goals do we reckon he would score in those setups / leagues ?

This is why our youth players can often be underrated, especially early in their development. And let’s not forget that Greenwood is younger than both players.

Frank Grimes

I just don't see how you couldn't. He is easily the best young player to come through our academy this side of the millennium. He has pretty much every asset apart from heading that you want from a forward player. Excellent close control, good speed, two footed, strong, great passing and crossing technique, excellent finishing. The only things he doesn't have right now is a consistency in his decision making (he perhaps has too much belief in his ability to finish), heading and movement. These are things that are learnt, he has Ole, Cavani and Ronaldo to learn from. Every coach who has been interviewed about him and journalists who are close to the club all say he is a really committed student of the game, constantly asking questions and taking the advice on slowly but surely. Barring injury or a complete drop off in mentality, I just don't see how he isn't going to be an absolutely fantastic player based on the level he is already at at 19/20.

It's not just fans who think this. So many pundits think this, not just ex-united pundits. Even bloody Souness and he is reluctant to ever compliment a United player. Ian Wright spoke about how he played golf with SAF and SAF said he's one of the best they've ever had come out of the academy. I mean if you can't see it then I'd be surprised if you've ever seen it.
He's good has the ability to be very good but just because he is a good prospect doesn't mean he is at the level at the moment that some are hyping him to.
For example he did some good things and done bad things when he was introduced last night but if you hadn't watched the game you would have thought he completely had a stormer reading some of the comments on here. I guess it's just fans overreaching a bit as they want him to be brilliant before he actually is. He has time though and it's possible he can get to that level in the future.

ti vu

He's good has the ability to be very good but just because he is a good prospect doesn't mean he is at the level at the moment that some are hyping him to.
For example he did some good things and done bad things when he was introduced last night but if you hadn't watched the game you would have thought he completely had a stormer reading some of the comments on here. I guess it's just fans overreaching a bit as they want him to be brilliant before he actually is. He has time though and it's possible he can get to that level in the future.
He has some bad things, but he seems to be able to take the next step in his development this season. Last 2 seasons, he may score goals, assist, keypass... but he doesn't seem like impose himself into the game. He was not good enough to be the support player, nor we had the luxury to afford to carry him and other inconsistent attackers.

Since the start of this season, he had consistently made his presence felt in the game. He adds that extra explosiveness in his game. This is great as in now he can be utilized as a regular in the XI more regardless (if Ole stops messing around giving gametime to underserved players). Not hyping him to be word class, world best or anything, but his development may mean we can complete the team, a quality team that can challenge.

CG1010

Came in this thread expecting glowing review of his performance in a game where he provided more attacking threat in 30 minutes than Martial, Lingard and Sancho combined in their full games. Surprised by the negative reactions.

About crossing the ball and not shooting, a) he is master of scoring at tight angles, certainly he should be shooting more than others and b) he got behind the opposition defence many times and did a cut back. Unfortunately Martial and co have always been found to be on their heels and unable to make a run. If we had Ronaldo there or even Cavani, he could have got 1 or 2 assists. Continuing to be very impressed by him.

GueRed

Came on and instantly was our best attacker.

Lively, aggressive, attacked with intent. He actually looked like he had the beating of his man.

In stark contrast with the others

M Bison

Supports
York City
Looked very dangerous when he came on i thought, our attack all of a sudden had a threat with him on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nope. If you did watch the game you’d think he had a stormer. Because he did. Our best attacking player by a country mile. Transformed the team when he came on.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He is direct and he is also capable of beating his man from a standstill with his clever movements. Honestly think he’s our most talented youngster in a very long time and the sky is the limit for this guy.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think he should have taken his chance with his right foot, but maybe got caught a little cold as he'd literally just came on.

His dribbling is really coming together now, he picks the ball up and goes at them at speed but keeps it under control, no big heavy touches. I like that he's going inside and outside - he got to the byline quite a few times.

Just needs to work on his final ball a tiny bit but what a player. He's first choice on the right wing for me every time at the moment.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Played well but surprised at the finish. He's usually so composed and it looked like hitting it with his right was the correct option, instead he scuffed it with his left.

jesperjaap

Offered more of an attacking threat with his movement behind and running with the ball than anybody else the wholegame the time he was on.

There were a few poor final balls when he got behind. I woul dsay that is something he can improve on this season....but I still very much see him as a striker. Can hardly say signing Ronaldo hinders the team but feel this season it may have Greenwood.

I think he was going to get a lot of games with Cavani being rested or potential niggles and the form of Martial under review. now with ROnaldo playing the majority of games, Cavani gets his rest and Greenwood is 3rd or even 4th choice to start up front.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer as you would expect Cavani to leave, surely Martial to be sold if he doesnt step right up. That leaves us with a 37year old striker and Greenwood, so needing a signing but if it is someone like Haaland as an nexample, where does that elave Greenwood?

Few comments of "he is a good prospect" "lets not get carried away yet". I disagree with this, he is already at a tender age makign his mark.....but, partly that is where he is playing as for me it is out of position and he was/is ready this season to play up front and really kick on. If he can learn a bit in terms of movement from Cavani/Ronaldo, gain a bit more strength, for me there is no reason why he cant develop to the levels of players people are saying he is a rung below as he has absolutely everything in his game bar aerial prowess I feel

Frank Grimes

Nope. If you did watch the game you’d think he had a stormer. Because he did. Our best attacking player by a country mile. Transformed the team when he came on.
He missed a great chance. Sent another one a mile wide(might have taking a deflection though). Sent one good opportunity straight into the keepers hands from a cross. Your idea of playing a stormer is vastly different than mine and if anything further reinforces my belief that he is being overhyped. He was lively though and he is getting a lot more involved in games this season which is encouraging.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Easily our best player in the period he played. Every single good ball came from him. It's amusing how opposition's defenders are so afraid of him running towards them.
His insane two footedness (is that a word?) means hes a nightmare to play against near the box. Usually defenders know that every player is going to take the ball towards their strongest foot, where as with Greenwood they have to take a blood guess because hes great with both feet

Ole in his first season here said Greenwood was the best natural finisher at the club.

He wasnt joking

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He missed a great chance. Sent another one a mile wide(might have taking a deflection though). Sent one good opportunity straight into the keepers hands from a cross. Your idea of playing a stormer is vastly different than mine and if anything further reinforces my belief that he is being overhyped. He was lively though and he is getting a lot more involved in games this season which is encouraging
How is he overhyped? He's got 30 goals for us and he's still a teenager, he's doing this in the strongest league in the world too.

KingCavani

He missed a great chance. Sent another one a mile wide(might have taking a deflection though). Sent one good opportunity straight into the keepers hands from a cross. Your idea of playing a stormer is vastly different than mine and if anything further reinforces my belief that he is being overhyped. He was lively though and he is getting a lot more involved in games this season which is encouraging
This is bizarre.

He had his guy on toast and got himself into great positions time and again. The chance came because of a great run and it was a great take to even give himself the chance to score.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think he looks faster after every passing game. He totally destroyed their full back down the line from a standing start every time he got the ball. He’s going to be so good when he reaches his physical peak.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
His insane two footedness (is that a word?) means hes a nightmare to play against near the box. Usually defenders know that every player is going to take the ball towards their strongest foot, where as with Greenwood they have to take a blood guess because hes great with both feet

Ole in his first season here said Greenwood was the best natural finisher at the club.

He wasnt joking
He's been favoring his left foot more and more recently. Hopefully it's just to put off scouting reports

clarkydaz

He wasnt joking
Pogba said recently he's best finisher he has played with.

gabbythered

I just don't see how you couldn't. He is easily the best young player to come through our academy this side of the millennium. He has pretty much every asset apart from heading that you want from a forward player. Excellent close control, good speed, two footed, strong, great passing and crossing technique, excellent finishing. The only things he doesn't have right now is a consistency in his decision making (he perhaps has too much belief in his ability to finish), heading and movement. These are things that are learnt, he has Ole, Cavani and Ronaldo to learn from. Every coach who has been interviewed about him and journalists who are close to the club all say he is a really committed student of the game, constantly asking questions and taking the advice on slowly but surely. Barring injury or a complete drop off in mentality, I just don't see how he isn't going to be an absolutely fantastic player based on the level he is already at at 19/20. 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
I agree with you on that one , one of the best players came through the academy, he has potentials I believe that not yet unlocked

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Is he even going to be a regular when Rashford is back in a few weeks? Solskjaer is never dropping Rashford so one of Sancho or Greenwood is going to miss out regularly.
Geniunely dont know if you’re just WUM’ing at this point, considering he’s been our clear best attacker alongside Ronaldo and even before he signed. He’s an automatic starter currently.

Rossa

Their left back looked one helluva player before Greenwood came on, and after he looked completely lost on how to deal with Greenwood. He has pace (improved that a lot), he can cross, he can use both feet and he can dribble.

Frank Grimes

Geniunely dont know if you’re just WUM’ing at this point, considering he’s been our clear best attacker alongside Ronaldo and even before he signed. He’s an automatic starter currently.
It's a genuine concern. You do know that 4 into 3 doesn't go? I for one think he deserves his place but that does mean that Sancho will be benched. I personally would leave Rashford out but it is more likely Greenwood or Sancho will make way imo.

nathanf99

Is he even going to be a regular when Rashford is back in a few weeks? Solskjaer is never dropping Rashford so one of Sancho or Greenwood is going to miss out regularly.
I was at the game last night and the difference in quality and uplift when Mason came on was staggering. On current form, Greenwood cannot be dropped for Sancho. For such a young player, he makes things happen, he gets people off their seats, he (along with Bruno) showed the gulf in quality between our second string and first team yesterday.

Rash should go left, Mason on the right and one of Ronaldo or Edi up front.

Hopefully, in time, Mason will move into that CF role and Sancho will play in his preferred right wing position, but right now, Mason is on the team sheet by default, every game, in my opinion.

Frank Grimes

I was at the game last night and the difference in quality and uplift when Mason came on was staggering. On current form, Greenwood cannot be dropped for Sancho. For such a young player, he makes things happen, he gets people off their seats, he (along with Bruno) showed the gulf in quality between our second string and first team yesterday.

Rash should go left, Mason on the right and one of Ronaldo or Edi up front.

Hopefully, in time, Mason will move into that CF role and Sancho will play in his preferred right wing position, but right now, Mason is on the team sheet by default, every game, in my opinion.
I do find it a bit laughable we will end up with a 75m signing on the bench after benching a 40m player all last season. Demonstrates a lack of a coherent plan imo. That's the last I'll say on that as don't want to derail thread. On current form Mason deserves to start, I agree.

jesperjaap

I think that is a genuine concern the poster had. There are several isntances durign Oles time of players keeping there place and getting opportunities ahead of others that should be dropped. Whether or not he should be starting, doesnt mean that he will. We do have a lot of attacking options after all. As things stand of coruse Sancho hasnt settled in or done anything yet, Rashford and Cavani have been out making things easier appearance wise for the other attackers.............but all on top form, does he actually start?

Personally I am still of the opinion Pogba is our best option on the left on form, Sancho on the right in terms of what they will bring within a game over 90minutes. Greenwood offers less but decisive moments I feel.....I still want to see him up front rather than on the right but even if ROnaldo moved out wide which is unlikely, there is sitll Cavani to come back.

In terms of the front three, personally would liek to see the players in form and performing starting until that changes, in that regard, I do agree at this point, he certainly shoul dbe starting

captaincantona

While Ronaldo is doing what Ronaldo does...and I am happy for that...he is very much the central focus of our attacks and you can already see the difference in the way the team approaches the 18 yard box when Ronaldo is on the field. He both tactically andsubconsciously/inadvertently changes how our other attacking players play.

Again, I am happy Ronald is here...but if I was coach for a month, I think we should be focusing on Greenwood. I think he is that good. I think the team should be reworked to get the best out of him in the way we are setting up to get the most out of Ronaldo. I think he is better than Bruno and between Bruno and Ronaldo, we can not afford to give Greenwood more freedom. We are penning him to the right wing, making him track full backs and not allowing him to wander and influence the game more.

This guy is unplayable, his shooting accuracy is obscene...he shouldn’t be getting chalk on his boots anymore...we need to get him the ball facing the goal as opposed to providing the cut backs like he did against West Ham. He ain’t a 9 and it would complicate his game by asking him to play back to goal. I think Sancho could be key here as well as Bruno. We need our full backs up high high high, sancho, Greenwood and Bruno interchanging more routinely with a focus on getting this kid in the right positions (we have already seen Bruno is just as effective when interchanging with Pogba when he is wide left).

that’s a long way of saying Greenwood could be a goal a game + player if he wasn’t stuck so wide.He needs to be our focal point (not target man) structure our team to give him the platform he needs...Chelsea did it for Hazard, Pool have done it for years with Salah...for me...Greenwood will eclipse both these players.

Raven

While Ronaldo is doing what Ronaldo does...and I am happy for that...he is very much the central focus of our attacks and you can already see the difference in the way the team approaches the 18 yard box when Ronaldo is on the field. He both tactically andsubconsciously/inadvertently changes how our other attacking players play.

Again, I am happy Ronald is here...but if I was coach for a month, I think we should be focusing on Greenwood. I think he is that good. I think the team should be reworked to get the best out of him in the way we are setting up to get the most out of Ronaldo. I think he is better than Bruno and between Bruno and Ronaldo, we can not afford to give Greenwood more freedom. We are penning him to the right wing, making him track full backs and not allowing him to wander and influence the game more.

This guy is unplayable, his shooting accuracy is obscene...he shouldn’t be getting chalk on his boots anymore...we need to get him the ball facing the goal as opposed to providing the cut backs like he did against West Ham. He ain’t a 9 and it would complicate his game by asking him to play back to goal. I think Sancho could be key here as well as Bruno. We need our full backs up high high high, sancho, Greenwood and Bruno interchanging more routinely with a focus on getting this kid in the right positions (we have already seen Bruno is just as effective when interchanging with Pogba when he is wide left).

that’s a long way of saying Greenwood could be a goal a game + player if he wasn’t stuck so wide.He needs to be our focal point (not target man) structure our team to give him the platform he needs...Chelsea did it for Hazard, Pool have done it for years with Salah...for me...Greenwood will eclipse both these players.
We've got Ronnie for 2 years, he guarantees us shit tons of goals, we're obviously going to play to his strengths primarily. Greenwood still has loads of time and playing with one of the greatest of all time will only benefit him in the long run.

Jaxa

He 100% needs to be starting almost every game, especially tomorrow against Villa.

He's lethal and has the ability to win you a game single handedly, it's going to be very very interesting when Rashford returns with who is dropped out of Rash,Sancho and Mason because Ronaldo is not getting dropped for the next 2 years, let's not even pretend that he will or should tbh

captaincantona

We've got Ronnie for 2 years, he guarantees us shit tons of goals, we're obviously going to play to his strengths primarily. Greenwood still has loads of time and playing with one of the greatest of all time will only benefit him in the long run.
Agreed. Just want to see the team looking for him more and also want to see him let loose where possible...against certain opposition, relieve him of his tracking back and just let him at it. Fuking love watching him.

El Zoido

He 100% needs to be starting almost every game, especially tomorrow against Villa.

He's lethal and has the ability to win you a game single handedly, it's going to be very very interesting when Rashford returns with who is dropped out of Rash,Sancho and Mason because Ronaldo is not getting dropped for the next 2 years, let's not even pretend that he will or should tbh
Ole knows this. He was the #1 player to bring on to salvage the game against West Ham, and it almost paid off. He’s mint, people talking about Ronaldo trying to beat Rooney’s goal record for us, if Mason spends his career with us then it’ll be his.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he looks faster after every passing game. He totally destroyed their full back down the line from a standing start every time he got the ball. He’s going to be so good when he reaches his physical peak.
His dribbling looks even better too -- I think it's a case of him now looking like a proper player playing at senior level, rather than a

I agree with this to a degree, actually. I think this is compounded a bit by Wan Bissaka being so weak in the build-up in contrast to Shaw. As a result, there are some passages throughout a game where Greenwood isn't involved as he should be.

Raven

Agreed. Just want to see the team looking for him more and also want to see him let loose where possible...against certain opposition, relieve him of his tracking back and just let him at it. Fuking love watching him.
He's a world class talent, there aren't many boxes he doesn't tick. He's starting to play like he did in the youth teams, where he was incredibly dominant.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Legend says he's still trying to hit the target after full time.
Just sub him off, he can't control or shoot anything today, giving him 90 minutes trying to prove otherwise is idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.