5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seij

Too bad the crucial years of his development are being wasted by a mediocre manager and coaching team.

Foxbatt

He is not a CF. He can't hold the ball nor can he head. All he does is shoot and he is good at it. His anticipation is not of top quality.

Banana Republic

Mason looks like an exciting prospect at times, but he’s only looked like he’s got potential.
He’s nowhere near a complete player and there’s so much missing from his game to justify the belief he’ll become a great player.
If these deficiencies are not addressed, he’ll end up fading away as another promising youngster who came to nothing.

Rajma

While he’s a very talented boy for the moment that’s exactly who he’s just a boy. Shouldn’t be a regular until he learns to put the shift in for the team. I think his attitude needs a bit of the hard treatment and someone like Ole is probably the worst possible coach at this time for his development both technically and mentality wise.

Devil81

Going to give an unpopular opinion, I don't think he's going to be anywhere near as good as he shown in his early potential.

Not because I don't believe he has the ability, I just watch him at times and just don't feel he has the hunger or the drive for it.

I said the same about Januazj when he was breaking through years ago. I sat in Old Trafford watching Adnan walk around the pitch, hands in sleeves looking like a child playing with men. I watch Mason some weeks and it's like he'd rather not be on the pitch. He's got bags of ability, he should be putting himself about making positions for himself and demanding the ball to feet.

Instead I think he'd rather have the easy option of being out wide recycling play with the possibility of the odd cut inside shot.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have no doubts about his long term potential, he's going to be a top forward. Very clearly needs a good coach to help develop him though. As of now, he's just been too selfish of a player but is just not a wide player as his positioning and movement is all wrong for it. Should be rotated for now though.

captaincantona

Going to give an unpopular opinion, I don't think he's going to be anywhere near as good as he shown in his early potential.

Not because I don't believe he has the ability, I just watch him at times and just don't feel he has the hunger or the drive for it.

I said the same about Januazj when he was breaking through years ago. I sat in Old Trafford watching Adnan walk around the pitch, hands in sleeves looking like a child playing with men. I watch Mason some weeks and it's like he'd rather not be on the pitch. He's got bags of ability, he should be putting himself about making positions for himself and demanding the ball to feet.

Instead I think he'd rather have the easy option of being out wide recycling play with the possibility of the odd cut inside shot.
He is having to change the way he has been told to play for the last god knows how many years...listen to Ole talk about him in interviews all along his development...it’s like he is living vicariously through Greenwood...since breaking into the first team his biggest strength has been shooting on sight, through the defenders legs, working the keeper always, getting the shot away early...if you think that wasn’t a direct instruction from the former-striker-manager then I have no idea how you explain him being given the 11 shirt and becoming a fixture in the first team if he is not executing the managers instructions?.... and while yes he needed to mature and broaden his game he has now been asked to stay wider, look for a team mate and put the ball in the box. It’s a waste. Same as having players like Sancho and Amad and DVB and Lingard and Rashford...none out and out wingers so it is ridiculous we are trying to implement a strategy where they stay wide. Salah and Mane are similar style players but Liverpool get width from the fullbacks...seeing how wide Ole has him is criminal.

Seeing technical players who are good in tight areas and can play quick first time balls Sancho, Greenwood, DVB, Martial all have to ignore these elements of their game due to the coach’s inability or unwillingness to play that type of football is just torture. If the game plan is cross to Ronaldo then what was the point of trying to build a completely different team.

very fuking frustrating.

Ash_G

Have no doubts about his long term potential, he's going to be a top forward. Very clearly needs a good coach to help develop him though. As of now, he's just been too selfish of a player but is just not a wide player as his positioning and movement is all wrong for it. Should be rotated for now though.
Definitely agree the talent is there. We know it's there as a goal scorer and I think under the right coach he could add a lot of value from a creative perspective (not saying it needs to be a focus of his game but he can help our build up for sure). Sometimes he shows flashes of it with his ability to find a good pass in tight areas, particularly with how good he is with either foot (although does feel like he's lost some confidence in his right foot) however there's a lot to work on in terms of attitude both in terms of decision making but also his general demeanor. Still very young though so plenty of time to adjust this and I think a better manager would be able to get him there- he and Foden came on to the scene at similar times and whilst I think Foden is slightly older, I do think it's telling to see that Foden's growth feels to be on a steeper trajectory than Greenwood's and I do think coaching/managing has a big part to play in that.

Ranger2d

Top Talent, but he’s developing some incredibly poor habits (Laziness and selfishness) largely because there’s no one to hold him accountable.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Covid, eh?

I was sure he'd already had it.

(Not that it's impossible to get it again, of course).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Actually think Rangnick could be the making or the breaking of him here. I think he could turn him into something incredible if he's willing to adapt to the style

Rajma

Actually think Rangnick could be the making or the breaking of him here. I think he could turn him into something incredible if he's willing to adapt to the style
Same. I think he will have to increase his intensity on and off the ball considerably if he stands a chance of being a regular. I admire his talent but for Manchester United the application should be a given.

romufc

Ragnik has been a huge admirer of young football players, he has seen the development of so many.

I really hope Greenwood buys into his way, his coaching could take Greenwood to another level.

This goes for alot of our players though, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Amad.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Same. I think he will have to increase his intensity on and off the ball considerably if he stands a chance of being a regular. I admire his talent but for Manchester United the application should be a given.
Massively, luckily he's young enough to add that to his game - if he does, he could be a monstrous talent. If I had to stake my money on it though, I'm not hugely confident.

united for life

I think it’s time to decide what his position is. Does he play on the right or up front. With the signing of Sancho, I think it would make more sense to say he should move up front which is his preferred position (heard him say that in previous interview). With our other strikers age 34 & 36, he should be developed to take over. I didn’t mention Martial as I do not think he will ever make that position his. He’d probably be a good sub (striker and on the left but that’s a different thread).

Mason is still young, he is skillful and I really do not know what his preferred foot is. He can shoot very well with both. His weakness is arial, but he has ronaldo and cavani to learn from. They don’t come better than that

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Greenwoord is the real victim of Ronaldo and Sancho joining, where Rashford and Martial remain off the hook coming from the left. Would prefer to play Mason ánd Sancho, but I dont think either of them is suitable to play from the left. Greenwood would be an option as striker, but yeah... Ronaldo..

Greenwoord is the real victim of Ronaldo and Sancho joining, where Rashford and Martial remain off the hook coming from the left. Would prefer to play Mason ánd Sancho, but I dont think either of them is suitable to play from the left. Greenwood would be an option as striker, but yeah... Ronaldo..
If he's got anything about him he will be learning everything he can from Ronaldo and banging Ragnick's door down to get time on the pitch. Ronaldo is here for another 18 months at the absolute maximum. The position is Mason's if he wants it enough.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
If he's got anything about him he will be learning everything he can from Ronaldo and banging Ragnick's door down to get time on the pitch. Ronaldo is here for another 18 months at the absolute maximum. The position is Mason's if he wants it enough.
Defintely.. Not writing him off or anything, he has enough to fight for.. But I was just thinking it's a bit weird for me that our most promising attacker from last season (my opinion) is the one who is affected most from our summer transfers, where Rashford and Martial are still in the same situation when it comes to playing from the left..

Not that i was against Sancho or Ronaldo coming or anything... Its just a general thought of mine..

gajender

Sancho is absolute fine playing from the Left in fact it might be his best position long term , don't let his early season struggles fool you . Greenwood would have enough opportunities to stake his claim for permanent spot in team its up to him to take the chances.

macheda14

We have never tried him on the left, I’d be up for seeing that too.
Yeah I don't see why he would be any worse. He does seem to favour cutting in on his left, but he can do that on his right, plus he can then go on the outside and whip in crosses on his left foot. Also him and Sancho can swap positions during the game. Although I do wonder if the counter-pressing style we are probably about to implement means players have to be more fixed in their positions as they all have strict instructions on how to press as a team.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Sancho is absolute fine playing from the Left in fact it might be his best position long term , don't let his early season struggles fool you . Greenwood would have enough opportunities to stake his claim for permanent spot in team its up to him to take the chances.
I can hardly remember seeing him play there, but it could be me. It would be awesome if he could grab that spot, making room for Greenwood from the right.

Greenwood Bruno Sancho with Ronaldo upfront would be my preferable line up at the moment, with Rashford on their heels and Cavani as reliable option to stir things up. Martial can move on as far as Im concerned..

captaincantona

Would love to see Rashford left and Sancho Right interchanging more fluidly with Greenwood up top and Bruno at 10...on paper, loads of movement and with a good right back overlapping those inverted forward roles really play to Rashfords and Sanchos strengths...Greenwood closer to goal...I’d let him shoot at will...if he is less involved in the build up then selfishness is fine as far as I’m concerned.

Then with Ronaldo and Cavaninon the bench you have real alternatives if things are not going to plan.

Trequarista10

I just want to see him play in a front 2. He would be unstoppable.

Hopefully with Ragnick we will see him in a 4222 or 352. Maybe not the best partner for Ronaldo, but against weaker opposition you could play both, and he will be the natural replacement for Ronaldo in time.

Blood Mage

He hasn't developed as much as he should have by now and our coaches are to blame. I hope Ralf gets him back on track.

RUCK4444

I've been saying for ages that he cannot learn his trade on the RW.

An elite talented youngster with numbers that were comparable to Rooney and other elite youth talents has been left on the RW consistently out of position. When I said this when he very first broke through I was shot down as apparently the likes of Henry learnt his trade on the wing and it's not an issue... I never bought that, if he's a striker then player him as a striker, you won't learn the trade in this league playing off the wing imo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've been saying for ages that he cannot learn his trade on the RW.

An elite talented youngster with numbers that were comparable to Rooney and other elite youth talents has been left on the RW consistently out of position. When I said this when he very first broke through I was shot down as apparently the likes of Henry learnt his trade on the wing and it's not an issue... I never bought that, if he's a striker then player him as a striker, you won't learn the trade in this league playing off the wing imo.
It's easy to say learn as a striker but instead of who? He simply is 3rd choice now at best, maybe even 4th behind Martial due to his experience.

It wasn't great but stil in 3 PL games Greenwood scored in 2. It looked like this might have been the season for Greenwood - arguably even without players like Sancho or Rashford starting next to him and then the unplanned transfer of Ronaldo came and Greenwood got turned back in to a winger, Sancho had to play LW instead of RW and everything was more clustered up than ever before.

RUCK4444

It's easy to say learn as a striker but instead of who? He simply is 3rd choice now at best, maybe even 4th behind Martial due to his experience.

It wasn't great but stil in 3 PL games Greenwood scored in 2. It looked like this might have been the season for Greenwood - arguably even without players like Sancho or Rashford starting next to him and then the unplanned transfer of Ronaldo came and Greenwood got turned back in to a winger, Sancho had to play LW instead of RW and everything was more clustered up than ever before.
Yeah I agree it's not as simple as saying 'don't sign Ronaldo and Cavani and throw Greenwood up top instead.' I get that. But still, the kid imo has to learn his trade in the position he will ultimately play.

Nobody will tell me that he can learn key elements of being a no. 9 like positioning and hold up play whilst playing off the right. If we can't give him sufficient minutes there like we did with Rooney at a young age then it's on us to loan him and get him that experience.

In my opinion we are potentially hampering his development and ultimately he may never become a true number 9, purely because it didn't suit us at the time.

The Siege

Rangnick might not even think about playing this guy unless his defensive output improves. So who knows if he'll even get a chance to develop, let alone which position.

yamo123x

With good coaching playing in an attacking team this guy will be brilliant.
#bigpartofourfuture

Teja

Rangnick might not even think about playing this guy unless his defensive output improves. So who knows if he'll even get a chance to develop, let alone which position.
I think he's one that can be coached in the dark arts of pressing and tactical fouling so he should do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.