5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzle

An unpopular opinion, but even though I have high hopes for Greenwood I have a feeling he’s not actually going to make it as an elite player and fail to fulfill his potential. He has undoubted ability, but I feel his mentality is going to be his downfall.
I also have a feeling he's not going to become truly world class, but for different reasons.

Firstly, we are currently a graveyard of young flair players' careers. He's at the wrong club at the wrong time when he needs careful coaching and mentoring.

Secondly, related to the first, he still doesn't have a clear position. He's not shown the ability to be a number 9 at all yet. But he doesn't have the raw pace or all-round game to be a wide forward yet either.

Thirdly yes I do worry about his mentality. Reading between the lines about a few rumours over the last 18 months has been worrying me for some time. I hope I'm wrong.

The United

I think Mason lost confidence when Ronaldo started throwing his hands in the air when he shot instead of passing the ball to him.
We all know that Greenwood can score from outside the box with any foot, but it seems that he is not taking these shots anymore now. He needs to be encouraged by some of the senior players, or manager/coaches.
He still shoots though. It is just that his shooting has not been on point for now.

Senior players did that to Ronaldo too when he was young. Look how Ronaldo turned out to be. Players need to have more than just pure ability to become a class player.

the_cliff

He still shoots though. It is just that his shooting has not been on point for now.

Senior players did that to Ronaldo too when he was young. Look how Ronaldo turned out to be. Players need to have more than just pure ability to become a class player.
Ronaldo has took twice as many shots as Greenwood this season, where's the stories about his greed ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He can feck off too if reports of him being unhappy are true. He hasn’t accomplished anything in the game yet, is on crazy money and has had plenty of opportunity to play considering his age and experience.

Love the kid and hope he has a long future at United but only if he is willing to represent the club with everything he has got.
He's one of the few who isn't, he's one of the lowest paid players in the squad.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He can feck off too if reports of him being unhappy are true. He hasn’t accomplished anything in the game yet, is on crazy money and has had plenty of opportunity to play considering his age and experience.

Love the kid and hope he has a long future at United but only if he is willing to represent the club with everything he has got.
If he were at Arsenal playing with their squad he’d be on his way to being a top player.

Ash_G

Agree his shooting hasn't been on point as it was in the past. Hopefully just a confidence point.

I think the point with Ronaldo is that yes he also takes a lot of pot shots but he's earned the right to do that as a player. In general it's fine for any player to have a go now and again and I don't think Ronaldo would have an issue with that in principal however I think the issue for our attack is how in combination we have too many players who either 1. Are too focussed on shooting themselves (Ronaldo/Rashford/Greenwood) or 2. give away the ball cheaply (all of them really). It doesn't help as well that supply from the full backs tends to be quite erratic as well particularly from the right side.

I think it just makes it unsustainable as it means we waste attacks but also surrender control far too often. We talk a lot about the weakness in midfield which clearly there is but I think the attack makes it worse. In other teams the attacking players actively participate in helping to control the game by retaining the ball and making the right decisions, our attack doesn't do that.

For Greenwood in particular whilst I think he should look at himself as well I think it's also tough for him. When Ronaldo was coming through he had Giggs, Saha, RVN, Scholes who were a much more cohesive unit, and whilst we brought in another young player in Rooney he was mature for his years (as a footballer!). We don't have that same set up as the players around Greenwood really aren't that much more mature than him as players in how they play and where they are e.g. Bruno they are currently erring far too much on the side of risk vs reward which is creating a lot of frustration in the attack. Overall there just aren't enough players who will make the right decisions to balance out the attack.

eire-red

He should be playing as close to the goals as possible. As a lone striker he's missing that physical ability and doesn't run the channels enough.

But with someone to work off and help to create space for him, could be really interesting to see. He's doing OK as a wide AM in the 4222, but it's kind of a waste of his talents.

I don't know why he comes off every game, he's usually one of our better players on show.

The United

Agree his shooting hasn't been on point as it was in the past. Hopefully just a confidence point.

I think the point with Ronaldo is that yes he also takes a lot of pot shots but he's earned the right to do that as a player. In general it's fine for any player to have a go now and again and I don't think Ronaldo would have an issue with that in principal however I think the issue for our attack is how in combination we have too many players who either 1. Are too focussed on shooting themselves (Ronaldo/Rashford/Greenwood) or 2. give away the ball cheaply (all of them really). It doesn't help as well that supply from the full backs tends to be quite erratic as well particularly from the right side.

I think it just makes it unsustainable as it means we waste attacks but also surrender control far too often. We talk a lot about the weakness in midfield which clearly there is but I think the attack makes it worse. In other teams the attacking players actively participate in helping to control the game by retaining the ball and making the right decisions, our attack doesn't do that.

For Greenwood in particular whilst I think he should look at himself as well I think it's also tough for him. When Ronaldo was coming through he had Giggs, Saha, RVN, Scholes who were a much more cohesive unit, and whilst we brought in another young player in Rooney he was mature for his years (as a footballer!). We don't have that same set up as the players around Greenwood really aren't that much more mature than him as players in how they play and where they are e.g. Bruno they are currently erring far too much on the side of risk vs reward which is creating a lot of frustration in the attack. Overall there just aren't enough players who will make the right decisions to balance out the attack.
Oh I am not saying it is ideal atm for anyone.

I was just pointing out that something stopped him from growing for the past 2 seasons. People made up excuses for him and I thought he needed to look at himself more.

Not that he would listen to me here. I was just fed up with everything and everyone blaming on one or two players such as Bruno or Pogba or Ronaldo for all the wrong things as usual.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He just needs to be less bloody predictable. Go down the outside from time to time. The full back needs him to help him out by sometimes cutting inside as well rather than always just jogging around looking for half hearted overlaps. I'd play him on the left tbh, it would help curb his natural instinct to only cut inside and it would help develop his right foot too when he did.

Ash_G

Oh I am not saying it is ideal atm for anyone.

I was just pointing out that something stopped him from growing for the past 2 seasons. People made up excuses for him and I thought he needed to look at himself more.

Not that he would listen to me here. I was just fed up with everything and everyone blaming on one or two players such as Bruno or Pogba or Ronaldo for all the wrong things as usual.
Oh yh I agree I think he definitely has to look at himself as well as I can't see what he's added to his game although I do feel that sometimes his passing does get a bit underrated as he's done a few progressive passes from the right side which would be great if he can do more off.

I was just making the point as well that he's/we as a team are in a difficult situation as we basically need him to be more mature than he is because the other attackers aren't at a point where they can carry him making bad decisions as well. It's a shame as ideally you'd want him to be able to come in and make mistakes etc as it's all part of the learning.

Man Utd 1:0 Aston Villa

marktan

Shoot shoot shoot.. there must be zero actual coaching going on if no one's telling him to pass it to the overlapping fullback. Imagine that happening under Guardiola? It wouldn't.

TSE123

Absolutely ridiculously selfish. Would hate to play with him (Rashford looked annoyed a few times).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is one of the most selfish players of all time. Though it doesn't help that all the other attackers are incredibly selfish and only shoot instead of playing the easy pass, so when he gets the ball he feels he needs to do the same.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Greenwood is going to be greedy he has to justify it. Smash it in the top of the net, don't produce back passes to the opponent's keeper. Not good (yet still better than Rashford).

LJJT

New rule needs imposing for all strikers- PASS. Stop shooting as it is not working and non of you are as good as you think. I should post this in all the striker threads

Woodenlung

I think he's extremely low on confidence and looks desperate to score. Much like Rashford and Bruno actually. All three of them snatch at chances when they'd be better off looking for someone making a run.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I love him, but he has not earned the stature in the game to be as relentlessly greedy as he is…

If Ronaldo took this many rubbish shots a game, he would rightly be slaughtered. And he’s Ronaldo.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Absolutely ridiculously selfish. Would hate to play with him (Rashford looked annoyed a few times).
I agree with you but Marcus was doing the exact same thing. They wouldn't pass to each other. Why the feck weren't they passing each other?

The White Pele

His shooting has been tame lately. At his best he can go with power or precision with equal effect. At the moment he’s not achieving either. I think his control and dribbling has come along nicely though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Needs benching along with mother rashford until they start playing like team players, and feckING TRACKING BACK. Twats the pair of them.

The United

Ronaldo is the selfish one apparently.

But seriously, after getting ignored by Rashford in that chance, he set his mind to keep shooting from everywhere after that. It is acceptable within the box with his accuracy but from like 40 yards out?

Our youngsters really need to learn to properly develop instead of pissing off at the likes of Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Bobski

He can't play wide in a 4-4-2, just wants to do a Robben impression and shoot all day, offers nothing going the other way whatsoever.

criticalanalysis

1st half he was decent. Made good passes and runs but didn't get the ball. A couple of bad passes that didn't lead to too much.

2nd half, he overdid it with the shooting.

He game awareness outside the box and all around general play is usually progressive. Shame he's surrounded by senior brain dead teammates who treat the ball like lava.

He deserves major criticism but for a youngster, his play on the ball at least is actually the most mature on the pitch. The through balls and switches he plays is underrated stuff.

slored1

Great talent but needs to work on his decision making. Way too selfish for a professional footballer.

kundalini

Got a poor connection on at least 3 of his shots. Should have done better when through on goal at an angle, far too easy for the keeper.

Marwood

Poor game and like a few others he thinks the answer is to be even more of an individual.

But we do need to start creating more chances in the box for him. It's ridiculous how few genuine goalscoring opportunities he gets.

spiriticon

These young ones all dream of scoring 42 goals a season from anywhere on the pitch like young Ronaldo but are simply not as good as he was

Bwuk

He hits it from distance because he’s getting frustrated as we create nothing.

cyberman

He just isn’t very good at taking shots from 25 yards out from an angle and should stop trying immediately.
He doesn’t even make runs inside anymore, it’s just looking to hang wide, cut in and shoot but somehow Ronaldo was getting the blame for this

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can see why the other attackers get frustrated with him.

edgecutter

Needs a massive kick up the arse. If I was playing with him I would be pissed at his greed

saivet

He's always been pretty selfish, so no surprise. I would like to see him up front though as I don't mind a striker being greedy than a wide player.

Status
Not open for further replies.