Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Who is better? Rashford easily. Who will be better? Most probably Greenwood. Who cares? Not me, they're both starting XI material for a title winning club which is really all we can ask of our academy to produce.

Right now Greenwood is nowhere near Rashford's overall level. He will get there and surpass him, but not for a while yet. He needs to learn to impact a game when he's not playing well.

Greenwood will probably never have that directness and purpose when running at a defence that Rashford has, its so effective and difficult for teams to defend against. But then Greenwood is already a significantly better finisher and it won't exactly be difficult to improve on Rashford's decision making.

I don't think they will ever be competing for the same spot in the team.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Right now Greenwood is nowhere near Rashford's overall level. He will get there and surpass him, but not for a while yet. He needs to learn to impact a game when he's not playing well.

Greenwood will probably never have that directness and purpose when running at a defence that Rashford has, its so effective and difficult for teams to defend against. But then Greenwood is already a significantly better finisher and it won't exactly be difficult to improve on Rashford's decision making.

Not sure about that. Rashford possibly has more ability but is extremely hit and miss.

Give either of them the ball one on one with the keeper and I’d expect Greenwood to score over Rashford.

Give either of them the ball on the wing and I’d expect Rashford to create something over Greenwood, but Rashford also 10x more likely to lose possession.

I think we are lucky to have both, and hopefully they’ll live up to their potential.

Not sure about that. Rashford possibly has more ability but is extremely hit and miss.

Give either of them the ball one on one with the keeper and I’d expect Greenwood to score over Rashford.

Give either of them the ball on the wing and I’d expect Rashford to create something over Greenwood, but Rashford also 10x more likely to lose possession.

I think we are lucky to have both, and hopefully they’ll live up to their potential.
Rashford out of form will do the basics and keep making his runs and so on, the things that keep defenders occupied and creates space for others. He will still be dangerous enough that they can't switch off.

Greenwood on an off day might as well not be there. He hasn't yet learned how to make an impact if he can't run in from the side to take a shot.

Marwood

It's a lot closer than that.

At this stage what Rashford has is a superior physical ability. Quicker and more endurance. That's what allows him to keep affecting games when having an off day.

Outside of that? Mason is a better footballer already.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Finishing-wise, Greenwood is better than Rashford but that's not really the bar to compare to.. Greenwood is clinical compared to the vast majority of forwards.

I think Greenwood is a better finisher than Martial, whose fans here call him ice cold and clinical.

However it's still not clear that Greenwood is a better player. We've had entire seasons where we counted on Rashford, and none where we've counted on Greenwood. He's been able to play selectively and make an impact. While Rashford has more suspect decision making than Greenwood, Mason more often just disappears from games when not making an impact.

We'll see soon enough, but they're young players and have plenty of time ahead of time. It's too early to call who is better, but it's easy to see who has done more (Rashford).
This is a very good post.

We are lucky to have them both though.

Idxomer

Rashford out of form will do the basics and keep making his runs and so on, the things that keep defenders occupied and creates space for others. He will still be dangerous enough that they can't switch off.

Greenwood on an off day might as well not be there. He hasn't yet learned how to make an impact if he can't run in from the side to take a shot.
That's not true.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Reminds me of the Rooney/Ronaldo debate, we knew who came out on top there but certainly a lot of people didn’t see it that way early on. Rashford is more explosive when he’s on his game but I reckon Greenwood is more consistent and his finishing is absolute top notch whereas Rashford is more than likely going to miss a lot of easy chances.
Different players, but we should enjoy having the pair of them and more than likely another ten plus years of each of them playing for us.

Spaghetti

Mom's

I don’t totally agree with those points. Out of form Rashford can be horrific. And I think Greenwood has adapted his game quite a lot in the past few months. There was a spell at the start of last season where is seemed that he had been “found out” with regards to the cut in and shoot, but he’s gone beyond that now. We’ve seen a lot more of him getting involved deep, running in behind and even improving his movement in the box a little bit.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

I’d say the opposite. On a bad day Rashford is a massive hindrance to the team. At his worst he can be greedy, wasteful, poor at finishing and generally fairly clumsy. Sure he remains involved but in that kind of form you’d rather he didn’t!

Greenwood I’d easier to keep out of the game at the moment but at least in his bottom level he never loses his touch, composure, dribbling and you can always rely on his finishing. I just think he’s much more beneficial to the team even on his off days. Rashford can be shockingly frustrating which I don’t get with Greenwood.

TrustInJanuzaj

Reminds me of the Rooney/Ronaldo debate, we knew who came out on top there but certainly a lot of people didn’t see it that way early on. Rashford is more explosive when he’s on his game but I reckon Greenwood is more consistent and his finishing is absolute top notch whereas Rashford is more than likely going to miss a lot of easy chances.
Different players, but we should enjoy having the pair of them and more than likely another ten plus years of each of them playing for us.
I think just like that comparison. Greenwood is going to make this debate look silly in afew years time. He’s far more talented than Rashford IMO!

MiceOnMeth

Who is better? Rashford easily. Who will be better? Most probably Greenwood. Who cares? Not me, they're both starting XI material for a title winning club which is really all we can ask of our academy to produce.
producing 2 absolute quality forwards within 5 years of each other is amazing, who is the last club to do that?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
producing 2 absolute quality forwards within 5 years of each other is amazing, who is the last club to do that?
Guti, Raul and Eto'o? Not that Eto'o succeeded at Real of course.

luke511

> Has the game of his life so far as striker
> Gets moved to right wing the following game

The best finisher in the team needs to be in the box more than anyone else, not hugging the touchline. Simple shit.

snk123

Will get a lot of praise but it was a poor performance if we're honest - it was a scuffed shot and should have been saved. Also missed a sitter header.

Then again, the agenda is supposed to be that he's the best CF we have and Martial is shit so I apologize for not following the narrative.

Someone

Something
Will get a lot of praise but it was a poor performance if we're honest - it was a scuffed shot and should have been saved. Also missed a sitter header.

Then again, the agenda is supposed to be that he's the best CF we have and Martial is shit so I apologize for not following the narrative.
He was our best player along with Pogba. It wasn't a great game but he did play well.

MattofManchester

We put a better performance in for the next 10 minutes after he moved centrally.

Then our defence and midfield proceeded to have a calamity.

The United

He looked exhausted in the last 10 mins to me. Could have done much better with that free header though.

Sylar

The best finisher in the team needs to be in the box more than anyone else, not hugging the touchline. Simple shit.
Yeah, this was annoying. You gotta follow up a good performance like that, by playing him up top. didnt understand playing him out wide tactically given the way Southampton set up. Felt like a waste of the first half.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Glad he scored but yeah I don't think it was a very good performance. He doesn't get too sloppy though when he plays poorly at least.

He was excellent last week, but I think it'll take some time for him to really adjust to play up top on his own. When he moved centrally after the subs, he was drifting all over the place which isn't needed. We needed him to stay in the middle and be a goal threat. We had Sancho, Bruno and Pogba behind him. We don't need Greenwood outside of the box when we have those behind him. That's why Cavani is still so important for us, as he knows where to just stay sometimes.

criticalanalysis

Nobody played great or 'took the game by the scruff of the neck' so yes by that standard, everyone including him was poor. However, overall he did well enough, scored a goal (who the hell cares about the way it was finished?), was our main/only outlet in the first half and went deep to help proceed the ball because we had trouble with their press.

For the things that he didn't do well like being a presence in the box and not being super clinical, he made up with other things. Not a great performance but far from poor.

Raven

Glad he got another goal but he vanished when moved up top, we really need to work out how to bring our striker into play.

Devil may care

After Pogba he was our only attacker who looked a threat and scored a vital goal under the circumstances.

tomaldinho1

Sums it up well for me.Weird selection.

Redcy

The only narrative is yours and Ravens who insist that Martials lack of form for well over a year is nothing to do with Martial.

Everyone was poor, including greenwood, martial was by far worse.

TrustInJanuzaj

Was without a doubt the second best Utd player on the pitch after Pogba. There’s a weird thing on here where people slate our attackers for being quiet despite the fact it’s a clear systematic issue. Martial, Cavani, Greenwood, Lukaku have all been criticised in recent years for having ‘quiet’ games. The reality is there’s only so much you can do up top alone when your team can’t get you any supply or grab any control over possession in the game. Until the midfield and wider team starts controlling yeh ball better these same complaints will continue to occur. The reality check would happen if we signed Haaland and people realised even he could be kept quiet in our current system!

RooneyLegend

Did he play as a 9 or 10 in our academy? Let's try him behind Cavani when Bruno rests. Something tells me his most natural position especially in our system would be behind the striker.

MadMike

Sums it up well for me.Weird selection.
I mean it's not so weird. It's team United not team Greenwood. It's what the manager deems will work better for the team as a whole.

If he played up top then most likely that meant Dan James on the right (since Ole doesn't quite trust Sancho yet). The assumption here was that Martial up top and Greenwood on the right would be better for us than Greenwood up top and Dan James on the right. Which is hard to argue against because despite the win Dan James was completely ineffective last week.

As it turned out, our midfield today was disjointed with Matic in it. Also Bruno had a stinker, Martial had a stinker and we ended up doing worse than last week as a result. Sailor Vee.

Greenwood still had a decent game and grabbed a goal while he was still technically a RW.

tomaldinho1

I mean it's not so weird. It's team United not team Greenwood. It's what the manager deems will work better for the team as a whole.

If he played up top then most likely that meant Dan James on the right (since Ole doesn't quite trust Sancho yet). The assumption here was that Martial up top and Greenwood on the right would be better for us than Greenwood up top and Dan James on the right. Which is hard to argue against because despite the win Dan James was completely ineffective last week.

As it turned out, our midfield today was disjointed with Matic in it. Also Bruno had a stinker, Martial had a stinker and we ended up doing worse than last week as a result. Sailor Vee.

Greenwood still had a decent game and grabbed a goal while he was still technically a RW.
I just want to see some continuity with Greenwood’s development, I agree he still did well enough but he’s not an RW. I genuinely think this should be his breakthrough season at CF and I feel like Ole is picking based off seniority/sentiment and not merit i.e. why would Martial start over Mason on current form?

Agree a number of players had stinkers and Mason moving role isn’t why we dropped points but I’d like to see a bit more commitment from us in his as the No9.

VivaRonaldo85

Would love to see him given a sustained period at number 9. Being shunted to the right wing today at the expense of a half fit martial was insulting to this lad.

MadMike

I just want to see some continuity with Greenwood’s development, I agree he still did well enough but he’s not an RW. I genuinely think this should be his breakthrough season at CF and I feel like Ole is picking based off seniority/sentiment and not merit i.e. why would Martial start over Mason on current form?

Agree a number of players had stinkers and Mason moving role isn’t why we dropped points but I’d like to see a bit more commitment from us in his as the No9.
I mean, I explained why I think that decision was made (and I would made the same decision) not based on a seniority assumption.

The assumption here was that Martial up top and Greenwood on the right would be better for us than Greenwood up top and Dan James on the right.
It'd be nice for Mason to get some continuity, sure, but our priority is getting the strongest team out and getting points on the board. Not playing just to develop a player in his (or our) preferred position. The individual must make some small sacrifices for the good of the team.

MadMike

Would love to see him given a sustained period at number 9. Being shunted to the right wing today at the expense of a half fit martial was insulting to this lad.
Player playing in the same position where he has played for the last two seasons, is suddenly insulting.

Ok. I say posts like this are an insult to intelligence.

UpWithRivers

Did he play as a 9 or 10 in our academy? Let's try him behind Cavani when Bruno rests. Something tells me his most natural position especially in our system would be behind the striker.
Exactly the reason why I fear Greenwood wont get to the level he is capable of. They havnt decided his best position. So typical of United. We pissed about with Martial and Rashford. Still with Martial. Are they number 9's or are they not. Also with Pogba. Latest craze is LW. Also with McTominay. Is he box to box or DM. And on and on. Friggin annoying.

For me he is an old school 4-4-2 second striker and would play great alongside a striker who can hold off the CB' and play off Greenwood. Greenwood needs space to run at the defense. He not good at a typical number 9 role where he has to hold up the ball. He is also not ideal at RW because he is not a winger. He can play those roles like Rashford can play number 9 to an extent but it just not his ideal position. But 4-4-2 hardly exists anymore. So maybe number 10 but he is also not quite a number 10.

Either way someone needs to decide where he will end up or he will just be floating around until he stagnates.

VivaRonaldo85

Player playing in the same position where he has played for the last two seasons, is suddenly insulting.

Ok. I say posts like this are an insult to intelligence.
I’m talking about the context of today’s team selection and who he was moved wide for plonker. Clearly he’s played wide right before with a firing cavani in the team last season

Status
Not open for further replies.