5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabeast

In this article published on the Utd official website on 22 July, Mason says he prefers Ronaldo over Messi (reproduced below). Little did he know what would happen next month.... I hope he can get some protection in the dressing room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“For me, it’s always got to be Messi,” said the Bradford-born youngster. “For me, he’s just on another planet.

“Ronaldo is obviously amazing, a physical, great athletic footballer. But to do what Messi does at his size, what he’s done for Barcelona and winning that trophy for Argentina, he is just on another level.”

Red the Bear

Something less generic
In this article published on the Utd official website on 22 July, Mason says he prefers Ronaldo over Messi (reproduced below). Little did he know what would happen next month.... I hope he can get some protection in the dressing room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“For me, it’s always got to be Messi,” said the Bradford-born youngster. “For me, he’s just on another planet.

“Ronaldo is obviously amazing, a physical, great athletic footballer. But to do what Messi does at his size, what he’s done for Barcelona and winning that trophy for Argentina, he is just on another level.”
Well we at least will know the culprit if Mason breaks his leg in training :lol:

Highfather_24

Ronaldo wont pass to him :lol:

PoTMS

Why wasn't he picked for England? Am I missing something?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

My only real issue with him last season was he was a bit too passive, which means those all these moments of great footwork in the build-up were too sporadic. You know he's really technically gifted but forget how well he can progress the ball in tight spaces, just because he spends so much time drifting. Looks like he's changed that this season so reckon this is his big breakthrough. He barely even comes to mind as a potential crosser for Ronaldo but with that left foot he can pretty much do it all. And with Ronaldo on the end of those runs rather than Dan James we could see a load of assists too. Really excited to see where he ends up. Van Persie developed his game so much from Greenwood's age so if he can have that arc, injury-free, from an even stronger base...we're in for a treat!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

The other way around surely?

But I'm sure there are loads in the squad who agree. Ronaldo's a grown up, he won't care about such irrelevant stuff.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

My only real issue with him last season was he was a bit too passive, which means those all these moments of great footwork in the build-up were too sporadic. You know he's really technically gifted but forget how well he can progress the ball in tight spaces, just because he spends so much time drifting. Looks like he's changed that this season so reckon this is his big breakthrough. He barely even comes to mind as a potential crosser for Ronaldo but with that left foot he can pretty much do it all. And with Ronaldo on the end of those runs rather than Dan James we could see a load of assists too. Really excited to see where he ends up. Van Persie developed his game so much from Greenwood's age so if he can have that arc, injury-free, from an even stronger base...we're in for a treat!
It's exciting isn't it, the sky really is the limit for Mason. I think Ronaldo coming back will be the perfect time for him to see what it takes to be a world class player.

We've seen this year his body is starting to catch up physically now, he looks strong and quick and with that confidence will show in his performances.

While he's been good in places and scored some important goals, his all round performances are still quite limited and safe - once he shows his true self he could be one of the best in the world IMO.

EtH

Hard to temper expectation with this kid. Has absolutely everything in his locker technically. And makes finishing from impossible angles look routine with either foot. Nice to see Pogba acknowledge that trait this past week. It really is special.

Also extremely unlucky to not finish with quite a few more assists last season.

Has a brilliant footballing brain which combined with his technique allows him to attempt and pull off some pretty audacious stuff somewhat regularly. And that part of his game will show more and more with him growing in confidence and stature.

That West Ham goal is one of my favorite individual goals post-Fergie. The sheer arrogance to attempt it, the speed of thought required to invent it and touch needed to pull it off is of the absolute highest quality.

Greenwood really does look a bit more athletic RvP with a killer right foot to boot. His potential is scary. Every bit as high as Haaland if not higher. And I wouldn’t trade him for two Mbappes.

Trequarista10

I know he always gets compared to Van Persie, but rewatching his highlights there, the way he directly runs at the defenders, the little shimmys, he looks similar to Rooney.

You never know how much better a young player can become (no matter how much certain armchair pundits claim to be able to predict). The great thing about Mason is that he doesn't need much improvement to become an elite player, he's nearly fecking there already.

pascell

Maybe Ole told him not to :lol

Either that, or Southgate still holds a grudge with him (but not Foden)
Hope he does, or the other way around after how Southgate has handled Greenwood. First instance was when United were avoiding having Mason do interviews, he then went to international duty and Southgate had him in a press conference answering about Maguire being arrested (:houllier:). Then obviously the Iceland debacle and how he's chosen Foden since but not Mason.

I'm loving it, wouldn't want one of the best academy players we've had being ruined by Southgate and his group of dinosaur coaches. A fresher Mason is always a great thing for United.

Strelok

I know he always gets compared to Van Persie, but rewatching his highlights there, the way he directly runs at the defenders, the little shimmys, he looks similar to Rooney.

You never know how much better a young player can become (no matter how much certain armchair pundits claim to be able to predict). The great thing about Mason is that he doesn't need much improvement to become an elite player, he's nearly fecking there already.
Agreed he's almost there and atm he is in top form but somehow he can't keep that I do hope our fans would be a bit patient with him. He's still very young and young players are inconsistent by default. This is what I probably hate the caf the most, one instance he's best thing since sliced bread, next thing he's trash. Very frustrating to read.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

Next phase in his evolution is to absorb Ronaldo’s powers as well.

RooneyLegend

Not convinced he's going to get us there plus he can't play every game. Greenwood behind Ronaldo or Cavani with Sancho on the right and Pogba on the left sounds potentially devastating.

Greenwood has such a vast skillset that he can be effective everywhere in and around the box. Drive to the byline on the right, or cut in left, drive to the byline on the left, or pass or shoot from the hole in front of the defence etc. Perfect qualities for a second striker.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not convinced he's going to get us there plus he can't play every game. Greenwood behind Ronaldo or Cavani with Sancho on the right and Pogba on the left sounds potentially devastating.

Greenwood has such a vast skillset that he can be effective everywhere in and around the box. Drive to the byline on the right, or cut in left, drive to the byline on the left, or pass or shoot from the hole in front of the defence etc. Perfect qualities for a second striker.
Bruno does play nearly every game. He's the most influential player we've had in years.

RooneyLegend

Bruno does play nearly every game. He's the most influential player we've had in years.
We've got alot more options now, it's not the same as before. He's also wildly inconsistent and winning major trophies with those inconsistencies is going to be challenge.

We've got alot more options now, it's not the same as before. He's also wildly inconsistent and winning major trophies with those inconsistencies is going to be challenge.
Maaaaate Bruno has been by far our most effective player since he joined the club. You can't be chucking him out of our starting 11 as soon as we sign a new player.

More likely Sancho, Pogba or Greenwood gets dropped than Bruno, and rightly so. Bruno sets the tone for our team.

tjb

Sorry mate. Bruno's not inconsistent, our team is. He plays one position, if he's not getting the ball because our central midfield partnership is struggling to find him, is that on him or on them? Even in these scenarios, he still regularly creates chances. The difference being that in games where we are more in control in midfield, he can stay and find space higher up. In games where we are less so, he has to come deeper to create through long passes which can be hit or miss, but are usually our only source of chance creation in those games. How many times did he bail us out last season. For some to say, "we can't win with that inconsistency". It's that risk taking that made United what we are, that made Ronaldo what he is and is making Bruno so influential for us. We spent years with our players back passing because they were scared to create, we get a creative player that can creative chances almost on his own, yet some people complain.

gorky_utd

Bruno is literally the reason there are so many 'options' at this club now.

RooneyLegend

Maaaaate Bruno has been by far our most effective player since he joined the club. You can't be chucking him out of our starting 11 as soon as we sign a new player.

More likely Sancho, Pogba or Greenwood gets dropped than Bruno, and rightly so. Bruno sets the tone for our team.
We were a 74 point team last season so put the pom poms away. The plan is to put together the best possible team we can to compete for major titles. If he makes the side then fair, if not then fair also.
Bruno is literally the reason there are so many 'options' at this club now.
Did he sign Sancho?

RooneyLegend

Sorry mate. Bruno's not inconsistent, our team is. He plays one position, if he's not getting the ball because our central midfield partnership is struggling to find him, is that on him or on them? Even in these scenarios, he still regularly creates chances. The difference being that in games where we are more in control in midfield, he can stay and find space higher up. In games where we are less so, he has to come deeper to create through long passes which can be hit or miss, but are usually our only source of chance creation in those games. How many times did he bail us out last season. For some to say, "we can't win with that inconsistency". It's that risk taking that made United what we are, that made Ronaldo what he is and is making Bruno so influential for us. We spent years with our players back passing because they were scared to create, we get a creative player that can creative chances almost on his own, yet some people complain.
He is inconsistent. We've seen many games where he struggles to make basic passes and the likes. He's far from untouchable if his play continues with the same pattern.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The dirty secret of our squad as currently constructed is that if Bruno insists on doing this striker impersonation playing as essentially a 4th forward, then he’s probably not in our most balanced XI. Now of course if he can revert back and start dropping off and connecting play as an actual midfielder again then of course he plays, but right now we’d probably look more balanced with Pogba and McFred behind a Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho front three with Pogba being the main creator.

Hopefully they make some tweaks and have Bruno drop back a bit to retain a better shape in our build up because in the Wolves game Pogba was basically hung out to dry all game with Fred having a shocker and 4 forwards just hanging along the Wolves back line with no one for him to fire the ball into without coming up with a magical long pass.

We were a 74 point team last season so put the pom poms away. The plan is to put together the best possible team we can to compete for major titles. If he makes the side then fair, if not then fair also.
It's a weird take to suggest taking Bruno out of a role that has basically been made for him to try to accommodate an extra forward, especially considering how ridiculous his output has been since joining us. As good as Mason is, if you play Pogba, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho, that's 4 players who don't press and we'll get absolutely murdered on the counter.

I think you are seriously underestimating what Bruno has brought to the team since he got here. I don't think there's a chance in hell that Bruno isn't in our best 11, that just seems like the maddest form of recency bias to me.

zenith

Right now, Mason is very much part of our best front 4. It's got to be Ronaldo, greenwood, bruno and pogba.

Quite something to say that rashford, Sancho, martial and Cavani might be back up options

kaNNz

I think that he is going to score 20+ goals in the leage.

We need an rvn

Was there a clear reason given why Mason wasn't in the England squad given the start he had? I vaguely remember Southgate saying United / England are in agreement on it but no reason given

captaincantona

Was there a clear reason given why Mason wasn't in the England squad given the start he had? I vaguely remember Southgate saying United / England are in agreement on it but no reason given
Both Solksjaer and Southgate have commented that they have been in touch and are in agreement about Greenwood ie. for whatever reason, it’s better for his development that he concentrates on club football for now. As an Irishman, I agree completely!!!

From a less bias perspective, England are stacked up top and out wide. with the caliber of opponent this international break (Andorra, Bulgaria, Poland) they were never going to miss Greenwood. Maybe being in a different squad and asking him to play a different role could disrupt the confidence, form and focus he is showing for United. Plus, the media would be out straight away with “Mason needs to be on his best behaviour” ...”2nd chance” headlines and god forbid he gave them something to write about...all in all...makes sense. Lots to lose...very little to gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.