Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What's this obsession with him starting for England? Its to our advantage anyway as almost all of our great players had a tumultuous relationship with the nt

Obviously a tad selfish but I kinda hope none of our players get called for nt anyway

Robson was plauged by injuries bekham was abused Scholes was played out of position rooney was burnt out and in this very year 2 of our star players bottled it in the big stage due to idiotic managing

I wish the best for nt Obviously just hope its without our players

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What's this obsession with him starting for England? Its to our advantage anyway as almost all of our great players had a tumultuous relationship with the nt

Obviously a tad selfish but I kinda hope none of our players get called for nt anyway

Robson was plauged by injuries bekham was abused Scholes was played out of position rooney was burnt out and in this very year 2 of our star players bottled it in the big stage due to idiotic managing

I wish the best for nt Obviously just hope its without our players
Because top players want to play and perform for both club and country. We should be giving Greenwood every platform to become a world class player and flourishing for his country is part of that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That Ronaldo-deal could work out great for Greenwood. It is easy to forget how young he still is. Ronaldo might just buy him another year or two. Looking at Ronaldo himself he had his breakthrough as world class the season he became 22. Same was the case for Shearer and Henry. Kane was 21. Greenwood will be 20 in a month or so.

Maybe Ronaldo/Greenwood will make us a bit less desperate for someone like Haaland? Normally I would argue that we should throw the kitchen sink at Haaland, but given the entire package of Haaland (pay, Raiola and need for players in other areas of the pitch) and the talent of Greenwood, I’m not that sure.

I actually think Greenwood might be an even bigger talent. My only worry is that Greenwood seem a bit more like Dolberg/Martial than Haaland in terms of his attitude and mentality. I think the best word for it is «complacent». I’m not sure if it is true, but it is just a feeling I get from watching him. Probably not as bad as Martial, but I dont see that same desire in him that you see when watching Haaland (or a young Ronaldo). (Same with Sancho btw!)

OL29

I actually think Greenwood might be an even bigger talent. My only worry is that Greenwood seem a bit more like Dolberg/Martial than Haaland in terms of his attitude and mentality. I think the best word for it is «complacent». I’m not sure if it is true, but it is just a feeling I get from watching him. Probably not as bad as Martial, but I dont see that same desire in him that you see when watching Haaland (or a young Ronaldo). (Same with Sancho btw!)
I don’t think that’s fair, he’s shown plenty of dedication already in terms of his physique and athletic abilities, which we’re seeing the results of now. He may not be a freak like Haaland or Ronaldo but I don’t think his laid back persona should be mistaken for a lack of dedication.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I don’t think that’s fair, he’s shown plenty of dedication already in terms of his physique and athletic abilities, which we’re seeing the results of now. He may not be a freak like Haaland or Ronaldo but I don’t think his laid back persona should be mistaken for a lack of dedication.
I hope your right, and to be honest, it felt a bit unfair as I wrote it. I guess watching Haaland as much as I have the past two years clouds my judgement. Maybe it’s not a fair benchmark?

That being said, Greenwoods ability is just as good, and probably even better, than Haalands. Haalands edge is his physique and mentality. And probably also his understandig of the game.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I hope your right, and to be honest, it felt a bit unfair as I wrote it. I guess watching Haaland as much as I have the past two years clouds my judgement. Maybe it’s not a fair benchmark?

That being said, Greenwoods ability is just as good, and probably even better, than Haalands. Haalands edge is his physique and mentality. And probably also his understandig of the game.
Greenwood is 2 years younger. Where was Haaland two years ago? Maybe he was slightly ahead of current greenwood but not by much imo. Grenwood is banging goals left and right for a Man United team that at times have been very disjointed.

Not taking anything away from Haaland and not suggesting Greenwood will definitely be better (though I think he will), the fact he's in the same conversation as the biggest talent around means he's doing something right.

EtH

Think you’re maybe conflating style with mentality. Comparing Haaland to Greenwood right now is like a young Rooney versus a young RvP. Haaland like Rooney is gritty and all-action, playing with pace and power because that is his game. While Mason like RvP is a cerebral player with bags of technique who plays within himself but affects the game all the same.

Having watched Mason for a few years now I think it’s clear he has a winner’s mentality and a real desire to be special. I agree with you that he has more to his game overall than Haaland, and I am excited that he will get to learn what it really means and takes to be a top player training and playing with Ronaldo now.

OL29

Yeah I think most players will come up short compared to Halaand unfortunately but I don’t think that’ll hold Greenwood back.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Because top players want to play and perform for both club and country. We should be giving Greenwood every platform to become a world class player and flourishing for his country is part of that.
I understand what your saying but with the current atmosphere around the national team it'll do more harm than good

Ole has done very well till now to nurture masons development i trust his judgment for now

Also its Englands loss not ours

captaincantona

I think that’s mad. There is no doubt Greenwood is and will go on to be a top player...and there is no doubt that he wants to play for his country. There is just no rush. Great players don’t have to have been great at 19. If anything, the majority of great players never made any huge inroads into their national teams at 19...think Ronaldo at Euro 2004...talent for sure but more frustrating then anything else. Zidane didn’t play for France till he was 22....or look at more recent cases closer to home...Kane was 22 and is on course to be the highest goal scorer for his country now.

My point is that he has so much time on his side that keeping him out of the limelight and away from the press that already ripped him a new one seems a clever move by both Ole and Southgate. He will be great for club and country though...there’s no doubt about that...

Drainy

Ole is working hard to keep his feet on the ground so he keeps working on his game, and also protecting him from the media.

England is only going to be a bad thing after the last call up since the media will be waiting to build him up if he does well, or tear him down for his personal life. I'm glad Southgate agrees with that approach.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's 19 and came out of preseason as fit as ever, would rather keep him fresh and fit now, rather than getting injured at the national team. Might get a call up later in the season, if he continues playing like this it will be difficult not to call him up again.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think that’s mad. There is no doubt Greenwood is and will go on to be a top player...and there is no doubt that he wants to play for his country. There is just no rush. Great players don’t have to have been great at 19. If anything, the majority of great players never made any huge inroads into their national teams at 19...think Ronaldo at Euro 2004...talent for sure but more frustrating then anything else. Zidane didn’t play for France till he was 22....or look at more recent cases closer to home...Kane was 22 and is on course to be the highest goal scorer for his country now.

My point is that he has so much time on his side that keeping him out of the limelight and away from the press that already ripped him a new one seems a clever move by both Ole and Southgate. He will be great for club and country though...there’s no doubt about that...
That would be fine if you thought he couldn’t have an impact right now. I think he’s already the best option England and Utd have on that right hand side. The boy is phenomenal already and the fact he’s 19 shouldn’t take away from that fact, it should enhance it. He deserves all the accolades.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't see the point in playing Bamford, a player clearly not really good enough for top class international football and not likely to improve, and not playing Greenwood, who arguably already is and who would benefit from the experience to get to that level if you take the view that he is not there yet. It makes no sense to me. A lot of the time I feel like caps are given out as rewards for good club form but they should be more precious than that. Even if you don't pick Greenwood, Ings, Abraham, Wilson and probably Watkins are all better than Bamford.

Mentality Monsters

The less interaction he has with Southgate the better. Especially how he hung him out to dry the last time he was on International duty.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He could be England's best forward option for me. Potentially, he could be a much more complete footballer than Harry Kane for example.

But the current coaching staff and Mason, no keep them apart for as long as possible. Hung him out to dry and let him get slaughtered in the public eye, and quickly gave his equally guilty mate Foden a reprieve in the public eye.

For everything good Southgate has done over the last 12 months or so, that one left a sour taste for me.

Brightonian

To be fair you've picked out the two most driven, single-minded players I've ever seen. Greenwood seems plenty hungry for me, and the rate at which he is improving is testament to that. He's a million miles from Martial.

SecondFig

He could be England's best forward option for me. Potentially, he could be a much more complete footballer than Harry Kane for example.

But the current coaching staff and Mason, no keep them apart for as long as possible. Hung him out to dry and let him get slaughtered in the public eye, and quickly gave his equally guilty mate Foden a reprieve in the public eye.

For everything good Southgate has done over the last 12 months or so, that one left a sour taste for me.
Come on, that's not fair. Both were binned out of the squad - after which Foden had some great form and was quickly reselected, and Greenwood arguably had his toughest time since breaking into United's first-team - and was understandably dropped. Must admit, I thought it was weird that Lingard was picked for the current squad, and Greenwood wasn't - but that's also not the worst thing for Greenwood

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyone got his youth numbers?

Would be interesting to compare it to other youth prodigys and the guys who made it and our own academy lads

jb8521

Anyone got his youth numbers?

Would be interesting to compare it to other youth prodigys and the guys who made it and our own academy lads
48 starts 4 sub appearances with 49 goals & 18 assists across u18s, u19s & u23s

jem

He has been fantastic this year, so I think he must continue to start - I'd put him on the right with Ronaldo in the middle, and either Pogba or Martial on the left (Sancho has looked every bit as out of form as Martial and could probably do with being eased into things, especially if he's had a knock; Martial, on the other hand, could do with building his confidence, particularly after scoring for France.)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
48 starts 4 sub appearances with 49 goals & 18 assists across u18s, u19s & u23s
Thats impressive seeing as he wouldn't get the best service out there at that level

Though defending is a level or 2 below what he's facing now

EtH

He has been fantastic this year, so I think he must continue to start - I'd put him on the right with Ronaldo in the middle, and either Pogba or Martial on the left (Sancho has looked every bit as out of form as Martial and could probably do with being eased into things, especially if he's had a knock; Martial, on the other hand, could do with building his confidence, particularly after scoring for France.)
Has to start. Defense picks itself obviously. But even with Ronaldo’s arrival he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet along with Bruno and Pogba.

lloyd2wayne

Not convinced he's going to get us there plus he can't play every game. Greenwood behind Ronaldo or Cavani with Sancho on the right and Pogba on the left sounds potentially devastating.

Greenwood has such a vast skillset that he can be effective everywhere in and around the box. Drive to the byline on the right, or cut in left, drive to the byline on the left, or pass or shoot from the hole in front of the defence etc. Perfect qualities for a second striker.
You are not convinced Bruno who has played behind the striker and been our most influential player since he joined is going to get us there, but Greenwood who has never played behind a striker maybe once if even should start ahead of Bruno.
Why even change what’s working.

Greenwood is doing a phenomenal job coming in from the right or as a striker but you would want us to lose one of our influential players in Bruno, to Occupy Greenwood when they both can actually play together without dropping either.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

You are not convinced Bruno who has played behind the striker and been our most influential player since he joined is going to get us there, but Greenwood who has never played behind a striker maybe once if even should start ahead of Bruno.
Why even change what’s working.

Greenwood is doing a phenomenal job coming in from the right or as a striker but you would want us to lose one of our influential players in Bruno, to Occupy Greenwood when they both can actually play together without dropping either.
Im not saying we should change it, im saying we should try him there. Yes, im not convinced Bruno will get us back to winning and challanging for titles. Being the most influencial player in a 74 point team while producing dire performances in big games isnt saying much.

Ive not said bench Bruno, Ive said play Greenwood there when Bruno doesnt play so we can see what he can do.

Cloud7

The less interaction he has with Southgate the better. Especially how he hung him out to dry the last time he was on International duty.
Usually I'm all for players doing well for their national teams because it aids in their development and boosts their confidence, but the further Greenwood stays from Sir Gareth and his negative football, the better. A player still in development doesn't need an influence like that dropping in every couple months.

Cloud7

With defenders having to give Ronaldo extra attention hopefully this creates a bit more time and space for Mason as well. For me, that RW spot is locked down as his right now, and Sancho/Rashford/Pogba have to fight it out for the left, regardless of price tag or who accomplished what before. This may change as the season goes along, but Greenwood should not be benched for any of them.

TrustInJanuzaj

Thing is if Ronaldo draws just one or two defenders away from Greenwood he will absolutely kill you. We know what this boy can do once he gets abit of space in the box. Really hope that Ronaldo can just draw that bit of extra attention away.

Red4Life_#7

Thing is if Ronaldo draws just one or two defenders away from Greenwood he will absolutely kill you. We know what this boy can do once he gets abit of space in the box. Really hope that Ronaldo can just draw that bit of extra attention away.
Exactly, we have the type of attackers that require 2 defs to mark them, resulting in another attacker having more space and time. Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho and Martial is just frightening. Less not forget our youngsters too.

Ronaldo will show them everyday in training the level and required dedication to be the world's best. It will be 2-3+ years before we start to see those benefits bear fruition.

CG1010

Exactly, we have the type of attackers that require 2 defs to mark them, resulting in another attacker having more space and time. Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho and Martial is just frightening. Less not forget our youngsters too.

Ronaldo will show them everyday in training the level and required dedication to be the world's best. It will be 2-3+ years before we start to see those benefits bear fruition.
And you forgot Bruno! He can absolutely kill teams if given space by his killer balls.

TrustInJanuzaj

Completely agree.

The final step to my mind for this team is just generally a greater grasp of control and supply into the forward line. I still think too often our attackers don’t get enough ball and as a result we don’t hurt teams enough. My guess is it’s a combination of midfield personnel and our overall system/tactics. If Ole can get that to click I see us being a very hard team to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.