5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUFC OK

Greenwood won’t turn in outrageous performances every game, but we can confidently assert that he’s on a superstar track right now. Whether can make having so many quality attacking players work for his development is an open question. Obviously that’s what we all to see.
He’s a starter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’ve never seen anything like it. Greenwood was brilliant today and by far our best player in the first half. Too many fans let the end result cloud their rational thinking.
G/A - Amazing performance
No G/A - Crap performance

Red cafe logic

amolbhatia50k

No. That might come though he's still young. He was considerably less selfish today which was good to see as well.
Wrong. His decision making is already very good. One time he didn't pass to Ronaldo doesn't change that. Just like Ronaldo failing to roll the ball to him for a tap in doesn't mean he needs to mature either.

Bobski

He could have impacted their goal, ball watching the Fred challenges when if he has a quick look he could easily have gone with Doucoure an maybe stopped the attack, just one of a number of mistakes in that goal. Defensive awareness is an area he can improve on.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is it coincidence that he has not scored since Ronaldo came
Not for me.

The cross/pass he did to Bruno was amazing even today. That type of play goes down a level whenever I've watched him at the pitch at the same time and his game becomes much more simplified.

dutchred

When we signed Ronaldo I was concerned that it would have an effect on Mason

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Needs to offer more defensively
It’s clutching at straws abit though. He’s a wide forward not a winger. There was one point today where he tracked his man all the way and was playing CB for a moment. I don’t see Salah tracking back and playing as a defender either.

LJJT

Sorry but I just don’t think he’s done well the last few games. Not effecting the games enough I don’t think

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I have no clue what his best position is. His finishing is terrific, but he's quite invisible as a CF. Out wide he has the ability to beat a man but then his shot or pass afterwards is always so off. I don't know why. I just think he must improve on that if he wants to be starter, because he's unlikely to be our main CF for the next two seasons.

EtH

Sorry but I just don’t think he’s done well the last few games. Not effecting the games enough I don’t think
He’s been our best attacker. At times our only consistent threat. If he scores one of his chances and / or any of his chances created are converted I imagine you’d be singing a different song along with many others.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Needs to offer more defensively
I can’t believe someone with such god given scoring talent like Mason is being asked to defend into his own half. What a waste of talent.
He’s being shoehorned into a position that is only because no one has the balls to drop Ronaldo

LJJT

He’s been our best attacker. At times our only consistent threat. If he scores one of his chances and / or any of his chances created are converted I imagine you’d be singing a different song along with many others.
Absolutely I would, but he hasn’t and I don’t recall him coming close to in the last few games. Just think he could do with starting on the bench today

EtH

I have no clue what his best position is. His finishing is terrific, but he's quite invisible as a CF. Out wide he has the ability to beat a man but then his shot or pass afterwards is always so off. I don't know why. I just think he must improve on that if he wants to be starter, because he's unlikely to be our main CF for the next two seasons.
Christ some of the takes in this thread lately have been so bad. Yet another example.

EtH

Absolutely I would, but he hasn’t and I don’t recall him coming close to in the last few games. Just think he could do with starting on the bench today
He hasn’t been as crisp striking the ball of late which is odd for him, particularly against Villa. But he could and really should have a handful of assists already this season. A few in the past couple of matches in particular.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Christ some of the takes in this thread lately have been so bad. Yet another example.
For someone that gets past his man so often, he rarely creates chances from that. Granted this game he had 1 or 2 great crosses that someone should've gotten on the end off. But in general he could do a lot better.

No problem with his efforts going forward but by god he needs to start putting more effort in. He looks like he barely breaks sweat unless he's got the ball.

EtH

For someone that gets past his man so often, he rarely creates chances from that. Granted this game he had 1 or 2 great crosses that someone should've gotten on the end off. But in general he could do a lot better.
He put in some great balls against Villarreal as well. And don’t forget he played the key pass leading to our goal today.

I think he is having to adjust to life with Ronaldo. He is a natural goalscorer who is now playing with a legend of the game who only lives to score goals. It’s a bit of an odd dynamic for a youngster and surely in Mason’s head a bit as well.

I can’t wait for that first goal to go in for him with Ronnie on the pitch. I think he will relax from there and be much less likely to force things.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The one concern I have about Greenwood is that he seems quite individualistic on the field. He does a lot of things well, but not many of those things involve good teamwork. I still think we are yet to see him really gel with any of his colleagues and create a good partnership with either a full back or a fellow forward. He and Dalot had nothing going on midweek, and he and Ronaldo are yet to click.

Who do people think he actually plays well with?

EtH

The one concern I have about Greenwood is that he seems quite individualistic on the field. He does a lot of things well, but not many of those things involve good teamwork. I still think we are yet to see him really gel with any of his colleagues and create a good partnership with either a full back or a fellow forward. He and Dalot had nothing going on midweek, and he and Ronaldo are yet to click.

Weird question as his interplay has been one of the most impressive aspects of his game so far this season. The only player he doesn’t seem to have clicked with yet is Ronaldo. He makes AWB look better than he actually is going forward IMO.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Weird question as his interplay has been one of the most impressive aspects of his game so far this season. The only player he doesn’t seemed to have clicked with yet is Ronaldo. He makes AWB look better than he actually is going forward IMO.
This is mostly through watching him play, but some of Mason's metrics really support this observation too. His xGChain per 90 is lower than all of our other midfielders and forwards, and even Lindelof. Essentially, he's involved in fewer moves that end up in a chance than any of our midfielders and forwards.

EtH

This is mostly through watching him play, but some of Mason's metrics really support this observation too. His xGChain per 90 is lower than all of our other midfielders and forwards, and even Lindelof. Essentially, he's involved in fewer moves that end up in a chance than any of our midfielders and forwards.
That’s insane. Surely no one aside from Bruno has been involved in more chances from open play so far this season. Lindelof, FFS. Some of these stats are beyond odd.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That’s insane. Surely no one aside from Bruno has been involved in more chances from open play so far this season. Lindelof, FFS. Some of these stats are beyond odd.
You’d think so, huh? This is what I am getting at with Mason. I watch him play and obviously he has very clear strengths, but he also has quite clear areas to develop. His directness is very beneficial in one sense, as it does result in him scoring a lot of goals. On the other hand, his decision making and teamwork needs to develop, as too often he commits to a getting a low value shot off when just being patient and keeping the move alive would be the more mature decision.

What I see at the moment is a very talented young player, but not one that necessarily dovetails well with his teammates.

EtH

You’d think so, huh? This is what I am getting at with Mason. I watch him play and obviously he has very clear strengths, but he also has quite clear areas to develop. His directness is very beneficial in one sense, as it does result in him scoring a lot of goals. On the other hand, his decision making and teamwork needs to develop, as too often he commits to a getting a low value shot off when just being patient and keeping the move alive would be the more mature decision.

What I see at the moment is a very talented young player, but not one that necessarily dovetails well with his teammates.
Our team and attack has been so disjointed most of this season and yet he has been our most consistent forward so far. So I suppose then yeah we should be thankful he can do it on his own at times. We have no one else who can at present.

But he’s not this selfish player all of a sudden just because he didn’t pass it to Ronaldo that one time against Villa.

Red00012

He has a tendency to come short for AWB instead of maybe taking a chance and getting in behind the defence . Then again AWB hasn’t the ability to play the through ball I guess

marktan

Kid is super exciting. One of the few bright sparks when we attack

amolbhatia50k

He and AwB was the best partnership on the pitch today. I think and Bruno also find each other well, as he did for today's goal.

Bondi77

Slick young footballer and he has it all and he is ours so enjoy.
Great that with all the big names at the club there is not such a spotlight on Mason so he can carry on learning his craft without too much attention.

YeahYeah

I would actually like to experiment with Mason more centrally, CR7 on the left and Sancho on the right.
Just seems to me that Mason and CR arent really working in the tactical setup we currently have.

GueRed

He's been our sharpest attacking player this season thus far.

Remember he's still developing. He's not the finished product. But in my eyes he's already a young star..

GueRed

against everton yesterday, good first half bright with some good inter-linking play.

quiet second half

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Okish game. I think he's always too far wide on the right making it harder for him to contribute with goals
I actually agree with this. He’s often far too wide which means his only option is to either dribble past 3/4 players (basically impossible) or interplay with AWB to try and work a crossing opportunity. It just feels like a monumental waste of his abilities to have him hugging the touch line so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.