5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

EtH

I know it’s good for us, but I’m getting a bit annoyed with Greenwood’s lack of selection now. It isn’t good for his confidence or development IMO.

Southgate is such a fecking dinosaur.

OmarUnited4ever

I know it’s good for us, but I’m getting a bit annoyed with Greenwood’s lack of selection now. It isn’t good for his confidence or development IMO.

Not that I disagree with you, but I'm glad he's not been selected, as it stands him & Ronaldo are our most consistent forwards, so him not going to play this international break means he gets to be fresh and ready for the next PL game.

and he is only 20, his time with NT will surely come. in the future

SonyaCross493

Does anyone worry about the lad getting overplayed at such a young age he ends up like Michael Owen in terms of not having longevity and ending up with injuries? I think Gareth and the England set up are absolutely correct in letting him develop in the background without adding more pressure on the lads shoulders. He could become a top player but he has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

I fear United starting him every match is giving him too much too soon. And long-term won't be the best for the lad himself

Would Zidane or Conte make him an automatic starter in the disciplined systems they have? Especially when you have assist-king Sancho and the ever-reliable "Rashy". It's debatable but I feel like Sir Alex wouldn't play Greenwood every game. He would let him develop organically without giving him too much too soon by being an automatic starter for Manchester United at 20. It's a lot of pressure on a young players shoulders.

You also have to worry about a young players character and ego by giving them too much too soon. Can they handle it? Will they develop an ego and become too arrogant? His incident with England in Iceland proved the pitfalls young players have and the temptations they have to deal with. You don't increase that by making him an automatic starter for Manchester United every week IMO. It's about managing a young player on and off the pitch. Giving them some carrot and stick and seeing how they react. Not giving them too much carrot too soon.

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

I’m not one to defend Southgate, but I would argue that the ability to consider a player’s future, mental health, and development is actually a very modern trait and something that we wouldn’t have seen as recently as the Hodgson era for England.

It’s nothing new to see the media hone in England players, so keeping him out of the spotlight is brilliant if you ask me. I’m sure Ferguson never bemoaned Giggs, Scholes et al halting their international careers so early.

EtH

I’m not one to defend Southgate, but I would argue that the ability to consider a player’s future, mental health, and development is actually a very modern trait and something that we wouldn’t have seen as recently as the Hodgson era for England.

It’s nothing new to see the media hone in England players, so keeping him out of the spotlight is brilliant if you ask me. I’m sure Ferguson never bemoaned Giggs, Scholes et al halting their international careers so early.
This is a really bizarre take considering Foden has been back with the team for some time now.

SonyaCross493

This is a really bizarre take considering Foden has been back with the team for some time now.
Maybe just maybe there is things that fans don't know behind the scenes. Maybe Southgate is worried about another Iceland drama so is taking things slow to see how the kid reacts. I think you have to trust the process. Everyone thinks Greenwood has the potential to be a top player, only the player himself can mess it up for himself, if he gets involved with the wrong crowd, relationship issues, alcohol issues etc loads of temptations for young players to avoid and trappings to pass. he needs to stay grounded and humble. Keep working hard and don't think he's made it already just because he's starting every week for Manchester United currently.

I think in the United team you have to start Sancho and then let Rashford and Greenwood compete for the final spot.

RooneyLegend

Does anyone worry about the lad getting overplayed at such a young age he ends up like Michael Owen in terms of not having longevity and ending up with injuries? I think Gareth and the England set up are absolutely correct in letting him develop in the background without adding more pressure on the lads shoulders. He could become a top player but he has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

I fear United starting him every match is giving him too much too soon. And long-term won't be the best for the lad himself

Would Zidane or Conte make him an automatic starter in the disciplined systems they have? Especially when you have assist-king Sancho and the ever-reliable "Rashy". It's debatable but I feel like Sir Alex wouldn't play Greenwood every game. He would let him develop organically without giving him too much too soon by being an automatic starter for Manchester United at 20. It's a lot of pressure on a young players shoulders.

You also have to worry about a young players character and ego by giving them too much too soon. Can they handle it? Will they develop an ego and become too arrogant? His incident with England in Iceland proved the pitfalls young players have and the temptations they have to deal with. You don't increase that by making him an automatic starter for Manchester United every week IMO. It's about managing a young player on and off the pitch. Giving them some carrot and stick and seeing how they react. Not giving them too much carrot too soon.
So you've never seen Sir Alex play 20 year olds week in week out?

JB08

What specifically is the bizarre take? I wrote 2 paragraphs.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe just maybe there is things that fans don't know behind the scenes. Maybe Southgate is worried about another Iceland drama so is taking things slow to see how the kid reacts. I think you have to trust the process. Everyone thinks Greenwood has the potential to be a top player, only the player himself can mess it up for himself, if he gets involved with the wrong crowd, relationship issues, alcohol issues etc loads of temptations for young players to avoid and trappings to pass. he needs to stay grounded and humble. Keep working hard and don't think he's made it already just because he's starting every week for Manchester United currently.

I think in the United team you have to start Sancho and then let Rashford and Greenwood compete for the final spot.
So Southgate is worried about another Iceland drama about Greenwood but nothing about Foden?

Like others said, it's good for us but not good for player's confidence. He is in great form and played better than most of England's attackers, still he doesn't get picked.

JB08

Well as I said why isn’t Foden getting the same treatment ?
Well, if you want some examples of potential reasons (likely a combination of multiple):

Because Guardiola has not met with Southgate to suggest he is not called up.

Because Foden does not require the same protection in terms of his character (for example, Greenwood’s father insisting he doesn’t partake in press conferences).

Foden having a lesser class of player to compete with in the England team.

And many more potential reasons.

romufc

I am not sure why everyone is getting carried away with Greenwood not being selected for England.

1. Southagate and Ole agreed for him not to be called up to avoid burnout
2. No chance he starts games ahead of Kane anyway
3. I would rather him be at United to work on his development

Its not rocket science, Southgate said he wanted to protect Greenwood and Bellingham from burnout.

EtH

Well, if you want some examples of potential reasons (likely a combination of multiple):

Because Guardiola has not met with Southgate to suggest he is not called up.

Because Foden does not require the same protection in terms of his character (for example, Greenwood’s father insisting he doesn’t partake in press conferences).

Foden having a lesser class of player to compete with in the England team.

And many more potential reasons.
If Greenwood was a Dirk Kuyt style defensive winger he would be in the squad whether Solskjær has had anything to say or not.

JB08

If Greenwood was a Dirk Kuyt style defensive winger he would be in the squad whether Solskjær has had anything to say or not.
I mean, a) you completely ignored all of my points and b) there’s no evidence at all to suggest Southgate would go against a manager’s wish in calling up a player, apart from your hypothetical opinion.

EtH

I mean, a) you completely ignored all of my points and b) there’s no evidence at all to suggest Southgate would go against a manager’s wish in calling up a player, apart from your hypothetical opinion.
Well everything you’ve posed is purely hypothetical so there you go.

If the kid misses out on the World Cup it will be a shame for him and a farce for England considering the players Southgate prefers in attack.

SonyaCross493

Well everything you’ve posed is purely hypothetical so there you go.

If the kid misses out on the World Cup it will be a shame for him and a farce for England considering the players Southgate prefers in attack.
I don't think he's dislodging Kane anytime soon. And is he better than Grealish currently? Debatable.

I think he will go to the World Cup as it will be a good experience for him even if he doesn't play much. But I think United over country always.

Frank White

Truly fantastic goal and a good game today, but imo he needs to be a bit less selfish.
Was a beauty of a hit so you’d assume his confidence to “shoot on site” must’ve been through the roof. A shame that it didn’t work out though and after the 3rd miss hit row z you would hope he would reign it in a bit but oh well.

Does still look like one of very few danger men in are team atm.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Brilliant goal, and a decent game. But he had two very poor efforts in quick succession, which is unlike him. He doesn't usually balloon them into the stands like that.

KeanoMagicHat

His selfishness and lack of effort tracking back sometimes is causing big problems in the balance of this team, it’s either him or Ronaldo, or a different system to cover for them, not the two together.

At the moment he’s playing better than Ronaldo, so I’d consider starting him up front.

UncleBob

I have no idea whatsoever how some have concluded that his performance was anywhere near good.

Cracking goal, absolute shit performance

Bobski

I love his attacking game but he plays like he is above the defensive side of the game and with Sancho, Ronaldo and Pogba we have far too many players with that mentality.

Tony247

Great goal but he doesn't have the knack of when to shoot, when to pass, how to build a move etc. Selfish all over and he wasn't like that last season at all! Has he been instructed to go solo when he has the ball in final third?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great goal but he doesn't have the knack of when to shoot, when to pass, how to build a move etc. Selfish all over and he wasn't like that last season at all! Has he been instructed to go solo when he has the ball in final third?
Ole has told him to be selfish it's quite obvious. Get shots away when they open up.

Devil may care

Fantastic goal but drifted out of the game, he's so talented I can't help but wish he was playing under a proper coach.

FatTails

Greenwood and Bruno are far ahead of the rest in the "lets see who can shoot the most from outside the box" competition. Is it desperation? Cluelessness as to what to do when around the box? So many low percentage shots. Fun when they come off (like today), but it is a rare event. You really want to be closer to the 6 yard box or you're most likely not going to score and just give away possession cheaply.

Manny

Grammar Police
Good goal but I'm not a fan of what his game is turning into.

We are not going to be able to unpick defences if all he is thinking about is dropping a shoulder and shooting on sight. Its too predictable and it is costing us.

macheda14

Good goal but I'm not a fan of what his game is turning into.

We are not going to be able to unpick defences if all he is going to do is drop a shoulder and shoot on sight. Its too predictable and it is costing us.
The annoying thing is he can do so so much more. But again remember how young he is, remember how thoroughly infuriating Ronaldo was as a youngster.

Idxomer

Greenwood and Bruno are far ahead of the rest in the "lets see who can shoot the most from outside the box" competition. Is it desperation? Cluelessness as to what to do when around the box? So many low percentage shots. Fun when they come off (like today), but it is a rare event. You really want to be closer to the 6 yard box or you're most likely not going to score and just give away possession cheaply.
It's the plan.

Pat Evra

For me, he obviously cemented his place in the first XI, apart from Bruno he is the only one to do it, all the others should fight for other attacking spots, including Ronaldo.

Raven

For me, he obviously cemented his place in the first XI, apart from Bruno he is the only one to do it, all the others should fight for other attacking spots, including Ronaldo.
I'm not too sure, I think every spot is up for grabs. Although Greenwood was trash for half a season last season as well so I'm not too worried that he'll turn it around before the end of this campaign.

spiriticon

I get vibes that he's getting too big for his boots. He thinks he's better than he is, and its a genuinely slippery slope there.

EtH

If multiple players in our team are passengers defensively surely that is on the manager, especially considering that a few of them are younger players. It’s also obvious that he and Bruno and pretty much the entire attack are told to “have a go” at every opportunity which is also on the coaching. He’s young and learning and sees the “leaders” on the pitch constantly going for the audacious be it pass or shot. All down to OGS & co.

Also. What a fecking thunderstrike.

Banana Republic

There's so much potential in this lad, but unless he gets much better coaching, I fear his potential may never be fully realised.

The lack of balance or judgement between shoot on sight, or performing as a team player, looks like, as others have said, to come from coaching and instructions.
He's not learning or developing to become part of an effective team attack if carries on like this.
Also, the lazy off the ball attitude at times, lack of defensive effort, no pressing, not properly supporting his FB etc, you would think should all warrant a right rocket up the arris.
But nothing has improved in these areas, which leads me to think, rightly or wrongly, that it isn't being addressed by the manager and coaching staff.

This is a worry and a shame, because Mason is one of the few shining rays of hope, in this current dire situation.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
When the more senior players aren‘t looking to play as a team or take responsibility then how is a kid who has just turned 20 expected to do it?
Nothing to do with all this „thinking he is better than he is“.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This shit just ain't good enough from him

spiriticon

Based on what?
Shooting on sight, not being very active in defending, not really trying to link up with AWB on the right either. I don't see very much connection between him and AWB actually, they are not building any sort of relationship.

I know AWB isn't the most technically brilliant player, but feck, he's still your partner on the pitch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.