5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sviken

Goldbridge said he's still the same player who was a generational talent at 17/18 Breaking through. And I tend to agree. We have yet to see the progression with Greenwood.

he needs to track back more and press especially playing as a winger. It's a disgrace he's 20 years old he's playing for Manchester United, he should be running about like a headless chicken to get the ball back. He should feel the luckiest kid in the World playing for Manchester United, can get a different women every night in his bed, earning loads. Where's the hunger!? Look at lions like Cavani and Ronaldo last night running around late in the game and they are about to get there OAP bus passes and Zimmer frames. If Greenwood wants a long career at the top like them two he needs to progress and stay hungry with the same desire.

if he wants to impress Gareth and go to the World Cup with England he needs to do more. Especially out of possession and off the ball. Pep Guardiola would expect more from him, so would Klopp. Look at how much Pep gets on Grealish back if he doesn't keep the shape out of possession.. yet Greenwood gets a pass I'm not sure if it's because he's English but none of the pundits mention it.

in saying that he's our future number 9. I just think we are playing him too much. Young players are inconsistent. Sancho is a better winger and will create more on the right. So we should play Sancho against Liverpool.
Talent can get you only so far. When I look at Greenwood, I don't see a player that is motivated to be the best. I see a person who has all the talent in the world, but goes through the motions and doesn't really care that much. Fear he's gonna become just another Ravel Morrison. I'm not expecting a Ronaldo/Messi-tier competitiveness, but come on. Show a bit more desire, hunger, etc. A 36 years old Ronaldo looks like he wants to win more and the guy has won virtually everything there is to win in football and broken all possible records.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would give him some time on bench and start sancho out right for a while.

Teja

I've been far more impressed with Mason than our new 73m shiny toy Sancho so far this season. With 0 goals and 0 assists would you really start Sancho over Mason against Liverpool?
+1

I'm surprised by the criticism tbh, I thought he's doing pretty well this season. 4 goals in 8 in the PL. Sancho hasn't shown anything so far to merit starting over Greenwood.

EtH

+1

I'm surprised by the criticism tbh, I thought he's doing pretty well this season. 4 goals in 8 in the PL. Sancho hasn't shown anything so far to merit starting over Greenwood.
Only been our most consistent threat this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Again for what reason?
Sancho is a more natural winger who plays with a purpose to create. Its in his game. Greenwood operates more narrow, doesnt find the wider spaces as naturally. Hes also more greedy with a striker instinct, as is Ronaldo and Rashford. We need the balance and Sanchos style provides this.

EtH

Sancho is a more natural winger who plays with a purpose to create. Its in his game. Greenwood operates more narrow, doesnt find the wider spaces as naturally. Hes also more greedy with a striker instinct, as is Ronaldo and Rashford. We need the balance and Sanchos style provides this.
But Greenwood is better than Rashford so Sancho can play on the left then in that case.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But Greenwood is better than Rashford so Sancho can play on the left then in that case.
Again its about balance. Rashford offers blistering pace and gets in behind or cuts central and allows Ronaldo to move as a left forward. The chemistry between Ronaldo and Rashford was quite exciting.

EtH

I love Greenwood, but you're on dodgy ground here.
I’m really not. Rashford got his goal last night but was also typically frustrating. Poor finishing, taking daft shots and running into crowds of defenders Dan James style. I recall Nani getting slated for better performances than Rashford put in last night.

Again its about balance. Rashford offers blistering pace and gets in behind or cuts central and allows Ronaldo to move as a left forward. The chemistry between Ronaldo and Rashford was quite exciting.
Greenwood is creative as well though. Been extremely unlucky to not log assists quite a few times this season including last night when he set up McTominay. Meanwhile pace is still the only consistent part of Rashford’s game and yet he is seemingly the first name on the teamsheet for Ole and above reproach with the fanbase and media. It’s a bit annoying.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m really not. Rashford got his goal last night but was also typically frustrating. Poor finishing, taking daft shots and running into crowds of defenders Dan James style. I recall Nani getting slated for better performances than Rashford put in last night.

Greenwood is creative as well though. Been extremely unlucky to not log assists quite a few times this season including last night when he set up McTominay. Meanwhile pace is still the only consistent part of Rashford’s game and yet he is seemingly the first name on the teamsheet for Ole and above reproach with the fanbase and media. It’s a bit annoying.
Greenwood is not as creative as Sancho. Not close. He is also more greedy which isnt suited to the rest of the front 3. Ronaldo is only looking at the goal and Rashford will bee line for the goal too with his pace. Sancho is by far our greatest creative potential in that front 3 and will ease pressure from Bruno.

EtH

Greenwood is not as creative as Sancho. Not close. He is also more greedy which isnt suited to the rest of the front 3. Ronaldo is only looking at the goal and Rashford will bee line for the goal too with his pace. Sancho is by far our greatest creative potential in that front 3 and will ease pressure from Bruno.
He is so far for Manchester United. Not that I don’t like Sancho. I do. And I really hoped he would hit the ground running and stake his claim on the left with Rashford out but he didn’t. Meanwhile Greenwood has been our most dangerous player so far. So there is absolutely no cause to drop Greenwood for Sancho at this point. It’s a ridiculous idea.

EtH

No of course you wouldn’t and anyone saying otherwise either has a serious agenda or is clueless. I’d sooner drop Ronaldo that Greenwood, he’s been our best attacker all season yet gets nothing but shite in here.
It’s ironic that the kid puts in a tidy, unselfish performance and still gets slated for being selfish. His passing and interplay produced some of the best moments of the match last night and yet the shitfest rolls on.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s ironic that the kid puts in a tidy, unselfish performance and still gets slated for being selfish. His passing and interplay produced some of the best moments of the match last night and yet the shitfest rolls on.
It’s a narrative now which is a shame.

Remember the geese

Rashford does frustrate of course. All attacking players do. However, he will guarantee 20 goals a season. I absolutely think that Greenwood has it in him to be a better player than Rashford, as he is more naturally talented. Right now though, Rashford is the better player and I think he is quite underrated.

Swiss_Red89

I think he played very good in the first half yesterday. A bit quite in the second half but still ok. I somehow enjoyed him more yesterday than vs Leicester, despite the wondergoal.

Nevertheless, I for one would start him on the bench on sunday and play Rashford (if fit) and Sancho on the right. It's just a feeling that this would be the better call for sunday. Mason played a lot of football already, so coming from the bench after 60min with his firepower could give us a boost for the last period of the game.

EtH

Rashford does frustrate of course. All attacking players do. However, he will guarantee 20 goals a season. I absolutely think that Greenwood has it in him to be a better player than Rashford, as he is more naturally talented. Right now though, Rashford is the better player and I think he is quite underrated.
Don’t want to make this about Rashford versus Greenwood as we are lucky to have both but I definitely disagree. Greenwood already has much more to his game and his finishing is levels above. My issue is all the stick Mason is getting in this thread despite generally being our most dangerous player this season. I also said Sancho might be in for a long season after the Ronaldo signing unfortunately and I stand by that. Hopefully he bides his time and takes the chances when he gets them. But for the moment he is definitely the odd man out.

UncleBob

Don’t want to make this about Rashford versus Greenwood as we are lucky to have both but I definitely disagree. Greenwood already has much more to his game and his finishing is levels above. My issue is all the stick Mason is getting in this thread despite generally being our most dangerous player this season. I also said Sancho might be in for a long season after the Ronaldo signing unfortunately and I stand by that. Hopefully he bides his time and takes the chances when he gets them. But for the moment he is definitely the odd man out.
Not entirely sure where this is coming from. Apart from his performances at the start of the season, he’s mostly been poor at best. He was shit against Leicester and the wondergoal came from nothing, but some are still pretending he’s overall been good.

How anyone, in any sende whatsoever, can consider his performance yesterday as anywhere near good is simply beyond me. Oh he had a decent pass at something something minute, oh did you see that interplay at minute 19, for feck sake.

Andersons Dietician

Was a weird performance there were very good things he did yesterday like the turn and feed for McT, was strong in hold up and committing people but I wasn’t impressed with his tracking back or lack of.

Someone mentioned in another thread they feel like this was on purpose but surely you don’t say to Rashford, Ronaldo and Greenwood you’re all free, just stay up. One of the wingers and maybe Ronaldo but surely not both. That’s just asking for trouble. Made some really half hearted attempts to get back in shape. A problem throughout our entire team really.

Probably been the best attacker this season but maybe needs a little bit of a rest now and with Rashford back plenty of time for them to share minutes out there.

cletus7

I find it odd reading the criticism. He took care of the ball very well yesterday and showed maturity in possession. I just don’t know what some are watching/expecting?

UncleBob

Was a weird performance there were very good things he did yesterday like the turn and feed for McT, was strong in hold up and committing people but I wasn’t impressed with his tracking back or lack of.

Someone mentioned in another thread they feel like this was on purpose but surely you don’t say to Rashford, Ronaldo and Greenwood you’re all free, just stay up. One of the wingers and maybe Ronaldo but surely not both. That’s just asking for trouble.

Probably been the best attacker this season but maybe needs a little bit of a rest now and with Rashford back plenty of time for them to share minutes out there.
He played 73 minutes and we're picking out segments like a turn and feed for McTominay :lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Most talented young English player I've seen after Rooney, Foden and Sterling.

Pretty sure he'd score 25+ league goals for dortmund .

captaincantona

Not entirely sure where this is coming from. Apart from his performances at the start of the season, he’s mostly been poor at best. He was shit against Leicester and the wondergoal came from nothing, but some are still pretending he’s overall been good.

How anyone, in any sende whatsoever, can consider his performance yesterday as anywhere near good is simply beyond me. Oh he had a decent pass at something something minute, oh did you see that interplay at minute 19, for feck sake.
This is ridiculous. He tries to make things happen and people criticise his immaturity and selfishness- say Solksjaer should reign him in. He passes more and doesn’t drive inside and shoot and people say he is poor???

He was secure in possession, made space, and linked play. He didn’t have a great game but how anyone could watch Ronaldo lose possession, waste chances, not press (bar a couple of aimless track backs that seemed to be for show) and pick out Greenwood for criticism is beyond me.

Remember the geese

Yeah, I wouldn't be bashing Greenwood at all. He's doing great. Folks bashing him for being selfish/greedy but all the best players are. There is a balance to be struck, but I like that he's taking on more responsibility and playing less inhibited than he was. I would have liked to have seen him and Cavani rotated up top this season, but Ronaldo happened. I also agree about Sancho unfortunately. Despite being a huge talent, he is one who looks like he will benefit more from a more coached/less freestyle tactical approach. Hopefully I'm wrong, but maybe we will see that post Ole.

EtH

Apparently you didn’t see his cross from which McTominay hit the post ? I have no idea where any of your post is coming from. He hasn’t been shit at any point this season. Far from it in fact.

He played 73 minutes and we're picking out segments like a turn and feed for McTominay :lol:
He played us out of trouble multiple times from tight spaces against the Atalanta press. So yeah moments like that are important. And again you conveniently seem to have missed his cross for McTominay’s chance. But I sense any post in reply is wasted on you.

UncleBob

This is ridiculous. He tries to make things happen and people criticise his immaturity and selfishness- say Solksjaer should reign him in. He passes more and doesn’t drive inside and shoot and people say he is poor???

He was secure in possession, made space, and linked play. He didn’t have a great game but how anyone could watch Ronaldo lose possession, waste chances, not press (bar a couple of aimless track backs that seemed to be for show) and pick out Greenwood for criticism is beyond me.
He was barely visible for 73 mins

EtH

Also Ronaldo’s tendency to drift left isn’t going to help whoever is playing on the right for us. Never mind playing with AWB. It is a much more difficult task than playing with Shaw on the left made more difficult now by Ronaldo’s natural movement.

UncleBob

Apparently you didn’t see his cross from which McTominay hit the post ? I have no idea where any of your post is coming from. He hasn’t been shit at any point this season. Far from it in fact.

He played us out of trouble multiple times from tight spaces against the Atalanta press. So yeah moments like that are important. And again you conveniently seem to have missed his cross for McTominay’s chance. But I sense any post in reply is wasted on you.
Again, we're at the point where players are considered to have put in good performances, heck perhaps even they've been solid, on the basis of one single moment out of 73 mins. Yes, i did see Greenwoods cross that got a deflection and that McTominay hit the post, it doesn't really excuse or explain the remaining 72 and a half minutes, does it

He was mint against Leiceister, pretty much average at best since being shifted out wide, lets not pretend otherwise

captaincantona

He was barely visible for 73 mins
He had more touches more passes more recoveries than Ronaldo...the goat...my point is not that he played well...it was a quiet game and he was not good...but to pick him out as being shite this season fuelled by a reaction to that performance is mind boggling.

FromTheBench

Ronaldo's signing has created bit of balance issues for him.

As with Ronaldo as CF ideally we need more of a creator at Rw rather than Greenwood who is also a goalscorer.

EtH

Again, we're at the point where players are considered to have put in good performances, heck perhaps even they've been solid, on the basis of one single moment out of 73 mins. Yes, i did see Greenwoods cross that got a deflection and that McTominay hit the post, it doesn't really excuse or explain the remaining 72 and a half minutes, does it

He was mint against Leiceister, pretty much average at best since being shifted out wide, lets not pretend otherwise
He was very involved in the first half. Drifted in and out in the second before being subbed. Can’t score a screamer every match you know.

That last bolded statement is beyond ridiculous.

UncleBob

He had more touches more passes more recoveries than Ronaldo...the goat...my point is not that he played well...it was a quiet game and he was not good...but to pick him out as being shite this season fuelled by a reaction to that performance is mind boggling.
Who was beyond fecking awful.

UncleBob

He was very involved in the first half. Drifted in and out in the second before being subbed. Can’t score a screamer every match you know.

That last bolded statement is beyond ridiculous.
He wasn't.

In terms of scoring screamers..His Leicester goal comes out from nowhere, awful performance overall. He was more or less non existant both in terms of helping out defending and attacking.

And no, it's not beyond ridiculous. People remember his opening performances and that sets the tone, his performances out wide has been average at best.

EtH

He wasn't.

In terms of scoring screamers..His Leicester goal comes out from nowhere, awful performance overall. He was more or less non existant both in terms of helping out defending and attacking.

And no, it's not beyond ridiculous. People remember his opening performances and that sets the tone, his performances out wide has been average at best.
His touches were mostly in our final third or the middle of the pitch unfortunately but yes he was involved.

And he’s been played out wide pretty much his entire United career with the first team squad. Played up top against Leeds but been out wide the entire season otherwise.

But I don’t see us agreeing on much of anything at this point so probably best to agree to disagree.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think there's a few problems with his game right now that he needs to work on, some of which he showed improvement with last night so well done to him.

1. Too predictable when it comes to cutting inside to shoot. He has great teammates he can set up so a cross or pass is just as likely to be dangerous as a shot, despite his fantastic finishing ability. And most importantly it will keep the defenders guessing instead of always knowing where he's trying to go. If you're two footed then unpredictability should be your best friend as a forward.
2. Defensive impact. He works pretty hard but he's too easy for opponents to pass round, hardly ever gets a good foot in. He's probably even more ineffectual than Mata at this.
3. Partly related to point 1, but he needs to try to link with his full back more. You might not rate the full back you're playing with that highly, but if he's in good space and you've got the best header of the ball in the world in the box, you have to trust him to try to get a ball in sometimes. If you don't, you remain predictable and also damage your teammate's confidence.

I'd actually be quite happy to see him play on the left sometimes, as it will force him to mix up his game more.

Teja

In theory this is true, but I'm yet to see him do anything particularly creative. Hasn't played killer balls like Bruno, can't take on a man and beat him etc.

So far, it has just been good close control (receiving the ball under pressure in tight spaces and maintaining control) and some good pressing. That's not enough to start over Greenwood.

Dansk

In his best ever season ('19-20), he scored 17 league goals and 22 in total. Last season he scored 11 league goals despite playing every game. By no conceivable metrics does he guarantee 20 goals a season. He has only ever scored a respectable amount of goals per game in one season, the one before last.

Status
Not open for further replies.