Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In theory this is true, but I'm yet to see him do anything particularly creative. Hasn't played killer balls like Bruno, can't take on a man and beat him etc.

So far, it has just been good close control (receiving the ball under pressure in tight spaces and maintaining control) and some good pressing. That's not enough to start over Greenwood.
I dont think Sancho being naturally suited to provider more than goalscorer is a theoretical point. Sure hes needed to settle but hes had to fill in on the left while Rashford was out. I think on the right with Rashford and Ronaldo we definitely cant have another player just looking to put the ball in the net at the cost of creating more. I think Sancho just needs a consistent run of starts now, hes going to come good its inevitable.

Remember the geese

In his best ever season ('19-20), he scored 17 league goals and 22 in total. Last season he scored 11 league goals despite playing every game. By no conceivable metrics does he guarantee 20 goals a season. He has only ever scored a respectable amount of goals per game in one season, the one before last.
To be clear, I meant 20 goals in all competitions. He played with all manner of injuries last season. I think a fully fit Rashford will get more than enough goals.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

the_cliff

Many times these top speed recording don’t cover things like how long certain speeds were maintained and average speed across a distance. Clearly Greenwood struggles to get away from defenders with pace and Rashford does not
I agree, stats are misleading. It may even be a sprint he made to get into a defensive position. I remember there was a season where Rooney hit the highest top speed in the league, In fact in one season he was the 8th fastest player in the world:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/new-study-places-wayne-rooney-9816910

Rashford quite clearly has an insane burst of pace to get away from defenders. I'm not sure if they ran the length of the pitch who's quicker but in short distances Rashfords superior acceleration is quite obvious to the eye.

Not that Greenwood is slow or anything his goal against Leeds for example shows that he's far from that, but in terms of quick bursts Rashford is far superior.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Many times these top speed recording don’t cover things like how long certain speeds were maintained and average speed across a distance. Clearly Greenwood struggles to get away from defenders with pace and Rashford does not
The stats were just to show you some proof but to any observer it's clear Greenwood is rapid. Rashford might be faster but it's not by much.

FattyFooty

The stats were just to show you some proof but to any observer it's clear Greenwood is rapid. Rashford might be faster but it's not by much.
Rapid? You sure about that? I cant ever remeber to see he out run sombody?

SambaBoy

I think people fail to recognise how talented Greenwood is. His understanding of the game and some of the touches he makes are outstanding. The ball will come to him with a man right on his back and with one touch, he'll lay it into space to a midfielder or attacker. It may not be as flashy as a dribble but it's very hard skill to pull off. Just look at how many times he did it against Atalanta.

Rashford doesn't really have that ability, the only way we progress forward with Rashford is when he receives it on the half turn. I haven't seen it from Sancho yet either. All 3 have different skill sets, but I think Greenwood is the best option out the 3.

Raven

I think people fail to recognise how talented Greenwood is. His understanding of the game and some of the touches he makes are outstanding. The ball will come to him with a man right on his back and with one touch, he'll lay it into space to a midfielder or attacker. It may not be as flashy as a dribble but it's very hard skill to pull off. Just look at how many times he did it against Atalanta.

Rashford doesn't really have that ability, the only way we progress forward with Rashford is when he receives it on the half turn. I haven't seen it from Sancho yet either. All 3 have different skill sets, but I think Greenwood is the best option out the 3.
He seems to do this whenever he's in the mood, not only does it look great, it's really effective to shift the point of attack. Greenwood is such a massive talent that when he puts it all together consistently, he'll be borderline unstoppable. He has the ability to be far more than just a goalscorer.

The United

He seems to do this whenever he's in the mood, not only does it look great, it's really effective to shift the point of attack. Greenwood is such a massive talent that when he puts it all together consistently, he'll be borderline unstoppable. He has the ability to be far more than just a goalscorer.
Hopefully, he has the mentality for that too.

captaincantona

Fact he isn't able to do it often indicates he doesn't maintain speed over distance.
This is the type of Bullshit that has to be just called out? First, just because someone doesn’t do something often on a football pitch doesn’t mean they can’t do it...how many overheads do strikers score??? Not many, because the chance to do it doesn’t come along all that often. Similarly, As a striker in a team that has the majority of possession playing against lesser teams sitting deep, how many times a game would you expect him To get an opportunity to show you he can maintain speed over distance if we are not playing on the break? We haven’t played any big sides yet.

In addition, you were proved wrong immediately and then tried to change the focus of your point from - “he can’t do it” to “well even if he can do it he can’t do it often enough to say that he actually can do it...so I’m still right”...

moreover, it’s a completely nonsensical thing to point out as he is a footballer, not a long distance runner.

not sure why your post annoyed me so much but it did.

SAFMUTD

I don't understand why so much debate about Greenwoods pace, it's clear to everyone he's not lighting fast as Rashford, I don't think many players are. But he's not slow, he's not a player that leaves defenders behind just by outpacing them.

A shame for his fifa stats but he has so many other qualities that I don't see it as a problem. Specially if we are planning to eventually play him as a striker.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Greenwood's game hasn't evolved into his 3rd season, which is something pretty much entirety of the team is suffering from due to inadequate coaching and tactical setup. It's unfair to criticize a youngster solely for it, they have to be managed carefully during their development phase.

However, he needs to work harder. His work-rate is absolutely appalling for someone his age.

Foxbatt

Hopefully, he has the mentality for that too.
That's the problem. I saw the tactical analysis of our lack of pressing from the front. A lot starts with him not pressing and then Pogba and Bruno being out of position and the defense all left alone.
Now I see it as a coaching issue. No matter how good you are if you are not putting in an effort for the team you shouldn't be playing.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Opposed to others, I dont think he's near Rashford yet and there is no shame in that as he is much younger.

Many here claimed that Greenwood is already better and I just disagree. He is probably more talented and fine, but a big part of the game is aggression, desire to make things happen which he really lacks compared to Rashford and I sound like Ole.

MS4

Best player today and got subbed for Pogba. Insane

Foxbatt

Best player today and got subbed for Pogba. Insane
What are you talking about? The first goal started because of him. He cheated. The moment he let go the whole shape became unbalanced.
Yes it's Ole's fault but Greenwood always shams about pressing. Many a time AWB has to deal with two players because of greenwood.

EtH

Our best player and only composed attacker in the first half. Another bizarre sub from Ole.

Foxbatt

Our best player and only composed attacker in the first half. Another bizarre sub from Ole.
the first goal started with him not doing the right press. He was the cause of some of our defensive issues. You simply cannot shirk your responsibilities in defending when you playing as a winger. He was not only today but against other teams too. Yes he scores some wonder goals but he is passing the buck to other players.

EtH

the first goal started with him not doing the right press. He was the cause of some of our defensive issues. You simply cannot shirk your responsibilities in defending when you playing as a winger. He was not only today but against other teams too. Yes he scores some wonder goals but he is passing the buck to other players.
Shaw was five yards deeper than the rest of the defense. Stupid to blame Greenwood.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
AWB literally vacated his position to go and chase down Van Dijk...
He went to chase down Robertson because Greenwood went to chase down Van Dijk. And just after the second goal, when AWB was slow to get out to the halfway line to make almost exactly the same press, you could see Ole on the touchline saying get out to him quicker and deeper. It was clearly a tactic to press high, and it was incredibly ineffective because Greenwood (among others) press half-heartedly and carelessly.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's defensively naive, but that's expected for a player who just turned 20. I agree this should have been a game for Lingard.

arnie_ni

What are you talking about? The first goal started because of him. He cheated. The moment he let go the whole shape became unbalanced.
Yes it's Ole's fault but Greenwood always shams about pressing. Many a time AWB has to deal with two players because of greenwood.
It actually started with Bruno then greenwood then awb them Victor then maguire and Shaw was left out to dry. They were all slow and out of position

EtH

He went to chase down Robertson because Greenwood went to chase down Van Dijk. And just after the second goal, when AWB was slow to get out to the halfway line to make almost exactly the same press, you could see Ole on the touchline saying get out to him quicker and deeper. It was clearly a tactic to press high, and it was incredibly ineffective because Greenwood (among others) press half-heartedly and carelessly.
It’s almost as if the manager isn’t getting his ideas across to the players.

lex talionis

We see glimpses of greatness but also immaturity from the 20 year old Greenwood. Liverpool would have destroyed us either way, but Ole should have started Sancho.

Swedish_Plumber

He's defensively naive, but that's expected for a player who just turned 20. I agree this should have been a game for Lingard.
While that’s true, we’ve spent 200 million on a defence that should be able to at least perform a bit better than they have whether the starting right wing is good defensively or not. He’s been out most consistent player so far so others should be dropped to accommodate our horrible defending.

EtH

Genuine question, not getting his ideas across or having no ideas?
Not quite sure at this point to be honest.

We see glimpses of greatness but also immaturity from the 20 year old Greenwood. Liverpool would have destroyed us either way, but Ole should have started Sancho.
Yet Rashford was doing the exact same thing on the other side of the pitch. Almost like it’s a coaching issue.

arnie_ni

Not quite sure at this point to be honest.

Yet Rashford was doing the exact same thing on the other side of the pitch. Almost like it’s a coaching issue.
Neither am I, and I'm not sure which is worse tbh

Foxbatt

Shaw was five yards deeper than the rest of the defense. Stupid to blame Greenwood.
In football it is all about space. Once Greenwood went in halfarsed to press it started to fall because Liverpool had a free run to work the ball into open space and run into space. It forced AWB to go into a space he did not want to go and this made Lindelof go into an area he did not want to go. That unbalanced the whole set up. The fact we do not have a great structure in the first place made it much worse.
You simply cannot play with 4 forwards against good teams. Liverpool is not a good team. They are a great team. We simply have to defend from the front or this would happen. It did not happen only today. It happened against Leicester too. Against Atlanta too. Great teams like Liverpool will take their chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.