5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhinav

I think he needs to develop more to his game if he wants to continue playing on the right wing. Teams have become smarter and crowd him out when he cuts inside. More often than not, he ends up passing it backwards to the midfielders/CBs. As a team, we really miss out any penetration down the right wing.

He looks threatening when there is a counter and he can use his pace and dribbling to get to the edge of the box. However, his decision making and execution in these instances have been lacking.

So while overall he seems to have a tidy game he is really not adding too much to the team at the moment.

Red00012

He has a tendency to drop off and collect the easy ball at times instead of trying to get behind / inside the left back.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
People sometimes forget that he is only 20.
No I don't think they do, which is why he doesn't get the pelters others in the squad do and why it's hoped this is a phase and he'll grow out of it.

Greenwood has already been a consummate player playing for and with the team, which made him far harder to read and actually enabled him to get better shots off in the split second a defender had to read whether he would pass, cut in for a shot or continue running directly at them. This was in his teens, so him being 20 doesn't mean he doesn't already know right from wrong. What he actually does now by being so selfish is make himself easier to mark and removes the uncertainty for defenders as they know he'll not use open men or pick out players for give and goes that lead to those vital moments of defensive hesitation and instability.

His defensive work ethic and his use of teammates is being called into question and rightly so as these are things all but a few top players are called out for be they kids or established, world class players.

JordanAir

Funny to see any striker being judged when the midfield behind you is McFred… serious. When is the last time they laid a ball for him on a plate?. Forget a Dm we need Ruben Neves who can do both and control the game.
It’s very hard to make all your own goals and even Ronaldo And Cavani are struggling.
Last time Fred laid a ball on a plate it was last game. Fred is another player that has more assists than Greenwood this season. I know that here it seems that the objective of the game is to put things simple for Greenwod... but in reality this is a football club that must be at least in the top four, and try to win something this season.
Cristiano may be struggling but has a lot better numbers than Greenwood, and in the trully important games like the ones on the CHampions League, he is the one that saves the team... On the other hand Greenwood in that days offers nothing to the team.

Last night I was watching the review of the 2006-2007, 2007-2008 season of United. And there it is so obvious the difference between increadible players like young Cristiano, or Rooney and a player like Greenwood.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Seeing a lot of people say he played well against Villa so deserves his spot today.

Am I alone in thinking he played fairly poorly and lost the ball a lot? I remember being quite frustrated by him but I might be wrong.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah couldn't tell you anything he actually did in the game bar score a goal... But hey, goals are pretty important things.

Manny

Grammar Police
Had his poorest game in a while I thought, but left with a goal, funny how football works.
I thought that was his best game in a while.

Looked to link up and looked lively in the second half, and effective on both flanks. Won his 50/50s and got a deserved goal.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Happy he scored a goal, hopefully it kicks him back into some form.

kundalini

Scored. One reasonable cross/pass towards Ronaldo. One shot blocked. One key pass (I can't remember). 1 tackle. 0 interceptions.

Glad he scored but he needs to offer more.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Mason justified Ralf's faith in sticking with him at inside right. Wasn't just the goal. Made a lot of correct decisions tonight, rather than just being a ball hog. Great feet at times too, when he was having balls fired into him with Brentford players breathing down his neck.

SonyaCross493

Nice mature game by Greenwood he wasn't as selfish this game but played more mature and helped out defensively

back scoring goals again the goal will do his confidence the world of good

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Happy for him to get on the scoresheet, but still waiting for him to up his aggression in the game so we can rely on him defensively in pressing. Slight worry he's got some play the ball to my feet a lá Martial attitude rather than working hard to get on the end of balls running behind which would make him score some goals and help us stretch the play better. But time will tell. The less lazy will play in the end out of Elanga, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho.

How is Haaland's workrate, can somebody provide that info?

Devil may care

Not the best game from him tonight. Great to see him back on the score sheet though. Really need to see more intensity and stamina from him. Always looks knackered
Agreed, getting a goal is good for him but he wasn't at his best tonight.

CloneMC16

Glad he finally got a goal today. I don't think he played great, though. We did get a more mature and less selfish performance than usual. He passed a lot more. I think he only had two shots on goal. One of them being the goal he scored.

Ladron de redcafe

If only Ronaldo was held to the same standard as Greenwood.
Greenwood played really well, didn't he? It isn't about his goal, but his overall play and contribution. As you said, if only certain other players were held to the same standard as this man.

Rossa

I think he has the worst workrate in our team. He often strolls around doing very little. He never helps out in defence, and if he does, he looks more likely to help out the other team than his fullback.

Nice goal, but he needs to improve his workrate massively.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He seriously needed that goal tonight. Wasn't as good on the ball tonight but did float a good cross in at one point.

Marwood

I think he has the worst workrate in our team. He often strolls around doing very little. He never helps out in defence, and if he does, he looks more likely to help out the other team than his fullback.

Nice goal, but he needs to improve his workrate massively.
I'm not sure if it's workrate or aggression. I think he got through the yards last night but he just seems too nice.

UncleBob

https://theathletic.com/3080112/202...hester-united-return-that-hasnt-gone-to-plan/

some interesting snips about Greenwood.

Equally, Ronaldo is not alone in believing several of United’s younger players ought to be more focused. Several members of Solskjaer’s backroom staff shared Ronaldo’s view and it is a widely held perspective at United, for instance, that the world is Greenwood’s oyster if he further increases his concentration and application.

Hackman2210

I think this kid is an absolute top player. He has a wand of a left foot - reminds me of Chris Waddle in style - so languid. Doesnt look like hes trying but he's got all the attributes to get to the very top. Pace, touch, killer pass and he can finish. Maybe not entirely comfortable out on the right. Bruno works his socks off at 10 - if Mason played there we'd lose the work rate so better bet on the wing. If he was at Man City (kills me to say it) - they would be frightening.

flappyjay

Amongst our strikers he is the best passer of the ball pity that he is also the least likely to pass it. Hopefully the goals opens the doors for more.

romufc

I hope he grows into games more, we need more threat from him. His passing is generally good though, he is the least likely to lose the ball when he gets it and he does have the switch of play in him.

crossy1686

career ending
https://theathletic.com/3080112/202...hester-united-return-that-hasnt-gone-to-plan/

some interesting snips about Greenwood.

Equally, Ronaldo is not alone in believing several of United’s younger players ought to be more focused. Several members of Solskjaer’s backroom staff shared Ronaldo’s view and it is a widely held perspective at United, for instance, that the world is Greenwood’s oyster if he further increases his concentration and application.
People always say this shit about kids. There's a reason why Fergie used to jokingly put pressure on his players wives to tie their men down with marriage and kids at social events. Giggs and many other lads were out partying all the time, Keane spoke about him doing it with the lads also, twice a week at times. Greenwood and the likes can't do that now thanks to smart phones so they're playing Playstation and spending time on social media instead and older generations call them 'distracted'. Maturity comes with age and life experience, and it's about keeping these lads focused until they hit the point where they grow up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think he needs to develop more to his game if he wants to continue playing on the right wing. Teams have become smarter and crowd him out when he cuts inside. More often than not, he ends up passing it backwards to the midfielders/CBs. As a team, we really miss out any penetration down the right wing.

He looks threatening when there is a counter and he can use his pace and dribbling to get to the edge of the box. However, his decision making and execution in these instances have been lacking.

So while overall he seems to have a tidy game he is really not adding too much to the team at the moment.
Good assessment.
He really does have a lot of natural talent and potential. But he also has a number of limitations which he needs to work on to turn them into strengths.
I just hope that he doesn't stagnate into a mediocre squad player.
And the coaches need to do a lot of work with him.

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

The United

Even though you know these guys are young and learning, with the fact that we don't create much at all nowadays, they need to make better decisions on rare chances. Both he and Sancho ( vs Newcastle I think?) had to pass in those situations to make sure we are ahead early and not under stress for the rest of the game.

His hold-up and passing are still good as usual this season.

Gottabekiddingme

I don't understand him sometimes. Let's hope he makes a Vinicius type jump in quality when it comes to decision making because oooffff.... He never makes the right one. Great on the ball though and pressed well.

UncleBob

He's on the fast track to losing his place in the starting lineup if he keeps performing like this.

kidbob

Clearly by far the most talented player in the squad while playing out of position. Get him a Ten Haag type figure to coach him further and play him in his proper position and he honestly has the talent to be among the best players this club has ever produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.